Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

gigabitnokie posted:

I hope they play the WC :ohdear:

No poo poo...I got my tickets off Craigslist, I'd get a partial refund (whatever the face value is), but not near what I paid for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm enjoying the break because everything that WAS hurting isn't, but now I'm just worried that I'm getting out of shape. This year I hope to step up my fitness level. The problem is that there's almost TOO much information in places like W&W. Every time I try to read through the nutrition thread for example, I get way too overwhelmed. I really want to get in shape for hockey and this sounds so :effort: but I really just want to find someone to come up with a meal and exercise plan that I can read off a paper every day :smith:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I really just want to find someone to come up with a meal and exercise plan that I can read off a paper every day :smith:

Make your own, it's easier than it sounds. Start with your work and hockey schedules and work from there. I'm working on one that I'm going to try and adopt January 1.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Martytoof posted:

I'm enjoying the break because everything that WAS hurting isn't, but now I'm just worried that I'm getting out of shape. This year I hope to step up my fitness level. The problem is that there's almost TOO much information in places like W&W. Every time I try to read through the nutrition thread for example, I get way too overwhelmed. I really want to get in shape for hockey and this sounds so :effort: but I really just want to find someone to come up with a meal and exercise plan that I can read off a paper every day :smith:

Honestly for goalies I would just focus on leg and core work outs. Then do sprints..20 seconds on 10 second breather 8 times. It doesn't seem a lot but trust me you will know it's working.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gigabitnokie posted:

I hope they play the WC :ohdear:

My hip flexors have been bothering me lately no matter how much stretching and massaging/rolling I do. Anybody have any tips?

When the rollers and stretching doesn't work for me, I like to ride an exercise bike for about 15-30 minutes to help loosen up my hip flexors. I'd also recommend some Advil and Bengay or Icy Hot. What kind of hip stretches and foam roller "stretches" are you doing?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm actually a lot more concerned about a meal plan than I am about exercise, as bad as that might sound. I think I'm going to try and tackle that first. Hockey is a workout and I might be picking up another game per week so three days on the ice is probably not an ideal workout, but if I try to mix in working out between there I will probably just burn myself out. In the meantime, I have the worst dietary habits on the planet. I don't eat a lot of junk food or fast food, I just don't eat right/enough/etc and I'm not helping myself in the least.

Then again I'm just assuming. I could have it all backwards. I really should take this to W&W once I can get my head wrapped around the nutrition thread.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If you're worried about getting out of shape, just being conscious of 'meal plans' is good enough. Supplement your diet with more protein if you want.

Working out regularly and properly is really the big concern.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm already out of shape, just trying to reverse course at this point ;)

In other non-Marty is tubby news, I went to Home Depot and bought white duct tape to replace all the black duct tape that was reinforcing all the high wear areas on my pads. It's still SUPER ghetto, but at least now it might fool people at a distance :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 28, 2010

polydizzle
Sep 13, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I'm actually a lot more concerned about a meal plan than I am about exercise, as bad as that might sound. I think I'm going to try and tackle that first. Hockey is a workout and I might be picking up another game per week so three days on the ice is probably not an ideal workout, but if I try to mix in working out between there I will probably just burn myself out. In the meantime, I have the worst dietary habits on the planet. I don't eat a lot of junk food or fast food, I just don't eat right/enough/etc and I'm not helping myself in the least.

Then again I'm just assuming. I could have it all backwards. I really should take this to W&W once I can get my head wrapped around the nutrition thread.

The best thing i ever did was start eating smoothies for breakfast ( make it the night before and fridge it) and eating 6 smaller meals through out the day. Smoothie for breakfast, carrots and raisins for a snack, lunch, yogurt and some cashews, early dinner. Smaller portions, and healthy seem to do the trick for me

Lost about 20-30 pounds in about a month combined with 2-4 nights a week of soccer. Sticking with it though is the hard part and I'm really bad at that. Also I eat by the truck load which also fucks me up bad.

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007
Goaliemonkey has the Sr. version of the new Koho pads and gloves up:

http://goaliemonkey.com/new-items-koho.html

EDIT: They've got the pro stuff up now too!

parsleyc fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 29, 2010

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
I think I sprained my hip/groin tonight playing. First goal I gave up was a giveaway in the slot that went blocker side, I overstretched for it, and felt a bit of pain in my hip right away. I didn't feel like it affected me during the game, but it was sore. Once I got to the locker room, it was stiffening up pretty good, and the drive home was pretty painful.

I showered, and haven't treated it at all (but I am going to take motrin before bed), but it feels a bit better, and is flexing more. Still, outside of the hip hurts, and right at the top of my groin hurts.

Hopefully just a strain, but thank god I am in a real soft part of my schedule. First game in a week tonight for me, and I'm off til Sunday. Of course, if it's not healthy by then, I have 4 games in 3 days starting Sunday, which might get ugly!

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
That sounds more like a hip flexor than a groin. Treatment should be the same though, you know the drill.

I've been using this light period to stretch and stretch and roll and stretch and my hips are finally starting to loosen up. I think I just had huge amounts of trigger points built up but there's nothing that two hours of stretching a day can't beat.

Oh and to whoever was asking - I stretch every way I can think of and progressively loosen up until I feel like gumby, then I foam roll and do it again, all the while massaging trigger points with my hands. To be honest I think my main problem is being too skinny, I need more muscle mass to deal with this abuse. But yeah no real routine, just a crazy amount of hip, groin, hamstring, etc. stretches.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
The chiropractor/PT my mom sees apparently has family referrals get an initial visit for free, and she happened to be there today and mentioned my hip, so I'm going in tonight, and he'll check it out. I honestly don't think it's much of a concern, and the old RICE method would probably be fine, but hey, its free, so why not.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Was touring Console yesterday and was slightly surprised to see that Curry and some of the other Pens goalies don't seem to use any composite goalie sticks.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gigabitnokie posted:

That sounds more like a hip flexor than a groin. Treatment should be the same though, you know the drill.

I've been using this light period to stretch and stretch and roll and stretch and my hips are finally starting to loosen up. I think I just had huge amounts of trigger points built up but there's nothing that two hours of stretching a day can't beat.

Oh and to whoever was asking - I stretch every way I can think of and progressively loosen up until I feel like gumby, then I foam roll and do it again, all the while massaging trigger points with my hands. To be honest I think my main problem is being too skinny, I need more muscle mass to deal with this abuse. But yeah no real routine, just a crazy amount of hip, groin, hamstring, etc. stretches.

Are you doing dynamic stretches (i.e. a moving stretch) or are you doing static stretches? The foam rollers definitely help and when I use them, I try to focus on my hips, quads, hamstrings, glutes and lower back. I've tried to do some groin stretches with the roller, but they're awkard movements that I can only pull off sometimes.

I got a chance to try out my new pants and I like them so far. We did a bunch of skating drills and the pant legs weren't getting caught in eachother and I felt like I had a little more natural range of movement. The internal and external belts did a good job of holding the pants up, so there's no reason to wear suspenders at this point. When in a butterfly, I was able to get my leg up in a better position to push off for butterfly slides. I didn't magically have enough power for a strong slide, but I was able to do 3-4 pushes in a row to propell myself across the ice, so it's encouraging.

I did take a couple shots off of the pants (both the legs/face and side and I didn't feel a thing. I didn't really feel most shots with my old pants either, so I'll have to see if any gaps in protection emerge over time.

I did wear my C/A tucked last night, which is a lot easier to do with a higher waisted pant. I didn't have any problems with shots to the gut, like I did when I tried it with my old pants, but I'll try it for a few more more games and see how things go.

So far they are living up to my expectations, but I'm interested to see how/if things change as the pants continue to break in and I face more and harder shots.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Static stretches in the 30-45 second range. My main goal is increased flexibility. (E: Mainly in my hips to get away from the Giggy-fly and seal off more of the net on my backside pushes. Secondly groin for doing the splits across the crease but I'm 6'4 and cover up a lot of the net as it is, so that's a secondary goal.)

Foam roll your lats for some extra hamstring mobility and I use a softball as my "roller" to get my upper groin and it works pretty well. Just don't pinch anything!

gigabitnokie fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 29, 2010

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

real_scud posted:

Was touring Console yesterday and was slightly surprised to see that Curry and some of the other Pens goalies don't seem to use any composite goalie sticks.

I think a lot of goalies still don't. I know Luongo is still using Reebok 6K which I use as well and it's just wood with foam.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

real_scud posted:

I remember reading something about NHL goaltenders using heavier, non-composite sticks, because they don't transfer as much shock to your wrist and forearm as lighter sticks do. So some goalies will use composites in games, but they'll use a regular stick in practice.

Anecdotally, I haven't noticed much difference between the shock I feel with my Bauer X:40 (semi-composite) and my SWD 9950, but maybe I don't take hard enough shots on a consistent basis to notice the difference. I'm not sure how much merit there is to it, but I guess that when you're facing NHL shots, you'll do whatever you can to reduce the wear and tear on your body.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gigabitnokie posted:

Static stretches in the 30-45 second range. My main goal is increased flexibility.

Foam roll your lats for some extra hamstring mobility and I use a softball as my "roller" to get my upper groin and it works pretty well. Just don't pinch anything!

You should give dynamic stretching a try. I've pretty much stopped doing static stretches in favor of more dynamic movements. When you use the foam roller are you using your hands to roll it across your targeted areas or are you laying on the roller and then moving your body across it?

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
RE: Stickchat - What's the biggest stick you can get? I have a 27.5" One95 but I'd like something an inch or two longer if possible.

Aniki posted:

You should give dynamic stretching a try. I've pretty much stopped doing static stretches in favor of more dynamic movements. When you use the foam roller are you using your hands to roll it across your targeted areas or are you laying on the roller and then moving your body across it?

I lay on the roller/ball. I've contemplated getting a rolling pin or something and trying that, seems like it would work just as well.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

real_scud posted:

They sell Bryzgalov's and Labarbera's used sticks at the hockey shop here in town. They're both just big heavy pieces of lumber. I never even realized that they weren't composite until you mentioned that.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
The difference between the pro TPS composite stick I had and the wood 6k sticks I currently buy is huge. Hard shots were really jarring on the hand with the composite. I'm not sure if the newer ones are better but my wood sticks I like a whole hell of a lot more than that one. I also used a 7k composite stick for about 3 weeks before it busted, it was better than the older TPS stick as far as hand shock goes but what good is it if its broken. What I really like about the composite sticks is that they dont lose their "pop", it always feels like shooting with a new stick. It's nice that they're light but the top of the line ones are priced so high I'd rather risk busting two wood sticks than one composite. I'm still not thrilled that a loving foamcore 6k stick costs me $100 though.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I guess the shots I take aren't heavy enough to really worry about vibrations, but the difference in performance I noticed in having a lighter stick were huge. I definitely get my stick out to my toes to control low rebounds a lot better with a light, composite stick.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gigabitnokie posted:

RE: Stickchat - What's the biggest stick you can get? I have a 27.5" One95 but I'd like something an inch or two longer if possible.

I had an Eagle Trigger stick that effectively had a 28.5" paddle, but I haven't seen anything bigger than 27.5" of late.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

titanium posted:

The difference between the pro TPS composite stick I had and the wood 6k sticks I currently buy is huge. Hard shots were really jarring on the hand with the composite. I'm not sure if the newer ones are better but my wood sticks I like a whole hell of a lot more than that one. I also used a 7k composite stick for about 3 weeks before it busted, it was better than the older TPS stick as far as hand shock goes but what good is it if its broken. What I really like about the composite sticks is that they dont lose their "pop", it always feels like shooting with a new stick. It's nice that they're light but the top of the line ones are priced so high I'd rather risk busting two wood sticks than one composite. I'm still not thrilled that a loving foamcore 6k stick costs me $100 though.

I don't even buy the newer P3 6ks. I just got Luongo P2 6K from GM for 49. I also got a 3 pack of P2 pro patterned 6Ks for 160 a few months ago.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Surfing Turtle posted:

I don't even buy the newer P3 6ks. I just got Luongo P2 6K from GM for 49. I also got a 3 pack of P2 pro patterned 6Ks for 160 a few months ago.

It realllllly sucks to need a 27" full right :suicide:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

titanium posted:

It realllllly sucks to need a 27" full right :suicide:

Oh well in the case...I'm sorry? lol I got plenty of 24 inch regular sticks for my 5'6 self.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Finally all moved into our new home in Canada and once again have access to my equipment. It's been a long, long one and a half months. Little scared to be playing against Canadian boys for the first time. :ohdear:

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Phoenix goalies, I know Tucson is like 2 hours southeast of Phoenix but do any of you guys know anything about the playing situation in Tucson? I might end up there for an extended period of time in a a couple months and while I know UofA has a hockey team that plays at the convention center arena, I kind of get the feeling the arena isn't just constantly open for drop in sticktimes and the like so I'm just trying to get a lay of the land.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Deer_fire posted:

Phoenix goalies, I know Tucson is like 2 hours southeast of Phoenix but do any of you guys know anything about the playing situation in Tucson? I might end up there for an extended period of time in a a couple months and while I know UofA has a hockey team that plays at the convention center arena, I kind of get the feeling the arena isn't just constantly open for drop in sticktimes and the like so I'm just trying to get a lay of the land.

The rink in Tucson used to be owned by Polar Ice, but they closed it in September, and a new ownership group re-opened it in December, under the name Tucson Ice.

This site has some pickup information. It doesn't look like a lot of times right now, but considering that the rink is under new ownership, they probably don't have a regular pickup schedule worked out yet.

If you want more ice time, then the closest rink to you in Phoenix, will be Polar Ice Chandler. The other ice rinks in Phoenix are Polar Ice Gilbert, Polar Ice Peoria, Arcadia, Oceanside and the Ice Den. We have a small 3X3 rink that is currently closed, Ozzie Ice, which hopefully will emerge under new ownership, but that rink is awful shape.

The Chandler rink is decent, but the talent level is better at Oceanside and the Ice Den. I hope that helps.

Edit: Tucson is maybe 90 minutes, from Tempe, which accounts for the fact that the stretch of the I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix is a raceway.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 31, 2010

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Hypothetical question for you fellas: Say you're on a team that is generally lacking in talent, and you would easily be able to contribute a great deal both offensively and defensively if you skated out and you would be able to do so at a relatively high level compared to your teammates. You also have a friend that is a decent enough, but objectively inferior ( :smugdog: ) goalie that's looking for a team.

Do you give up your goalie spot, let your friend take it, and skate out?

I'm not seriously entertaining the idea of giving up my goalie spot after how hard I've worked to get here, but it would be a net benefit to the team. Maybe I'm just seeking validation that I'm not a dick for staying put.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I was any good as a skater I would probably give up my spot, but understand that I have the opportunity to play goal like 4 nights a week so it's not like it would be hurting my net time all that much.

If I only had one team that I played with and didn't have any other nights lined up -- I'd have to think about it. I'd probably give up my spot if it meant that the team would hoist the cup/keg/plaque at the end of the season. If the team was already out of contention then I'd probably still do it, just not until next season.

I don't think you're a dick for staying put though. If you give the team an opportunity to win by making stops that's just as important.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

gigabitnokie posted:

Hypothetical question for you fellas: Say you're on a team that is generally lacking in talent, and you would easily be able to contribute a great deal both offensively and defensively if you skated out and you would be able to do so at a relatively high level compared to your teammates. You also have a friend that is a decent enough, but objectively inferior ( :smugdog: ) goalie that's looking for a team.

Do you give up your goalie spot, let your friend take it, and skate out?

I'm not seriously entertaining the idea of giving up my goalie spot after how hard I've worked to get here, but it would be a net benefit to the team. Maybe I'm just seeking validation that I'm not a dick for staying put.
Does your potential replacement also skate out? Think about splitting time?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

coldwind posted:

Does your potential replacement also skate out? Think about splitting time?
Hmm poo poo, I have a similar situation to gigabit.

I was out for almost a month and there was a fill-in goalie who played for me, he actually played pretty damned well and we managed to get 4 wins under him. Then I finally came back this week and played and proceeded to let in 10 after not playing for a month.

After the game one of the guys was saying that it'd be better for the team if Andrew [the other guy] played in net since we hadn't lost with him there, and I'm a much better skater and positional player than he is.

So part of me thinks him playing in net really is better for the team, but then the other part says "gently caress that" cause he wasn't around before and I'm the one who had to spend a ton of money to buy equipment just so we'd have a goalie after our old goalie abandoned us.

Splitting time could 'solve' the issue, but doesn't also help me get better since I'd go from playing once a week, to once every other week and there's no way I'd ever really get better.

Which after typing this out, gently caress that. I'm not that bad, I just need to not use the new thighguards I got cause they cut off the circulation to my legs and have some D that doesn't give up multiple breakaways every goddamned game.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

real_scud posted:

Hmm poo poo, I have a similar situation to gigabit.

I was out for almost a month and there was a fill-in goalie who played for me, he actually played pretty damned well and we managed to get 4 wins under him. Then I finally came back this week and played and proceeded to let in 10 after not playing for a month.

After the game one of the guys was saying that it'd be better for the team if Andrew [the other guy] played in net since we hadn't lost with him there, and I'm a much better skater and positional player than he is.

So part of me thinks him playing in net really is better for the team, but then the other part says "gently caress that" cause he wasn't around before and I'm the one who had to spend a ton of money to buy equipment just so we'd have a goalie after our old goalie abandoned us.

Splitting time could 'solve' the issue, but doesn't also help me get better since I'd go from playing once a week, to once every other week and there's no way I'd ever really get better.

Which after typing this out, gently caress that. I'm not that bad, I just need to not use the new thighguards I got cause they cut off the circulation to my legs and have some D that doesn't give up multiple breakaways every goddamned game.
Yeah, I guess this is more of a solution for people who want to skate out and also play net.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I'm really impressed with the new pants so far. I was working on butterfly slides before open hockey today and not only was I able to do 3-4 pushes in a row while sliding (both sides), but I was getting better power than I expected and I nearly slid into a skater who was doing warmup laps. It was a good feeling to be able to slide so easily. I still need to do more practice and work on turning my torso before I slide, but the hardest part for me is going to be working it into my game. I do slide a fair bit in cross crease situations, but when I butterfly and make a save, I tend to freeze and then lunge or fling my stick out in a pathetic act of desparation, so getting myself to butterfly slide without thinking in those situations is going to be a challenge.

As for open hockey today, I had a weird game. For the most part, my positioning was actually really good, but I had poor 5-hole and stick discipline, which was giving me probelms for most of the game. Towards the end of the skate things just fell apart. I was making some bad reads and then my D was constantly in the way. I need to get back to yelling "Screen! Screen!," but I'm always a bit reluctant to do that since, it's kind of an obvious hint for the offense. Maybe I'll work on that tomorrow.

With that out of the way, what was weirdest quirk that you have or have witnessed another goalie do? Today, one of the goalies would scream, "Whoo!," after every save. It was a power grunt he was doing as the play was in progress, but right after he made the save, he'd scream in celebration. He was playing pretty well, so I guess it worked for him, but it was happening with such regularity that everyone on the bench was laughing every time he did it.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

With that out of the way, what was weirdest quirk that you have or have witnessed another goalie do? Today, one of the goalies would scream, "Whoo!," after every save. It was a power grunt he was doing as the play was in progress, but right after he made the save, he'd scream in celebration. He was playing pretty well, so I guess it worked for him, but it was happening with such regularity that everyone on the bench was laughing every time he did it.

He's got horrible OCD and he forgot his meds.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

He's got horrible OCD and he forgot his meds.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. That would probably explain why he stood away from the bench when he wasn't on the ice. For better or worse, I think that people attribute weird behavior to him being a goalie and they don't really think anything of it beyond that.

I used to have problems with OCD, but it was over more mundane stuff like having to touch door knobs 3-4 times, obsessing over the cleanliness of silverware, and more recently I freak out over whether or not I shut the garage door. Certainly nowhere near the same league as his problems, but I can understand the power that compulsion has over people.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Aniki posted:

I need to get back to yelling "Screen! Screen!," but I'm always a bit reluctant to do that since, it's kind of an obvious hint for the offense. Maybe I'll work on that tomorrow.
I usually go with "let me see it" and say it just loud enough that my D can hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

ManicJason posted:

I usually go with "let me see it" and say it just loud enough that my D can hear it.

What's a good way to let the D know they've left someone open in front of the net? I feel like I should just tell em that if I yell a random color they need to get back and help me out, because I can't think of anything that isn't an obvious tip off to the other team.

I also like to yell "Screen!" when I have a clear view of the net and my D is trained to ignore it.

Re: Switching positions - I think I'm going to give it a few more games and see how my team recovers from our first loss of the season (1-1-4). If we continue to flounder I'll bring it up with the captains, play with my team at a stick n shoot/pickup with my buddy in net, and see if we think it's a worthwhile switch.

• Locked thread