Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

I'd actually change the bars first instead. You could shave down and recover the seat to let you sit farther back, but bars are simple and cheap to start with.

Seconded. Those actually don't look too terrible, but the UJMs (Kaw especially) had this habit of installing bars that pinned your elbows to your sides because the grips were perpendicular to your bod. Like driving a bus, basically. I think there was a mild chopper resurgence going on at the time (did they ever really leave?) and form beat out function.

What worked for me was going to a local bike salvage yard and grabbing 2-3 that were close to the angles I wanted. Less scratch and better odds. One happened to be a set of like new Flanders bars that set me back maybe $15. Any decent yard will have a large selection of pre-pulled sets that are out of the rain and readily reconditioned. The measurement you need to be mindful of (in addition to OD, probably 7/8 in this case) is "end to bend." Add up all the real estate taken up by the current components and make sure they're all going to fit on the new bars. If they're straight bars or close to it, this is obviously a non-issue.

One common add-on for these was thicker grips, and I can vouch for them helping tremendously with long distance ergos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna sit on some different bikes this weekend to get a feel for styles of bars.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Anyone who wants to learn what it's like to enter and race a rally as a novice should get in on the ground floor of this thread. The prologue is intense, especially if you've ever owned a kick-start motorcycle and know the drill...

Living the Dos Sertoes Dream - Racing 4,500 km accross Brazil

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Marv Hushman posted:

unless they've found a way to bring it to market for 20% less than a Bonnie. If not, I don't see the point.

At least over here, exchange rates are loving killing the big 4. Triumph can make money on Bonnes and still undercut them. Triumph's twins are hardly considerable unreliable or badly built, so I have to agree this seems like it would be a pretty questionable product outside of the JDM.

Ola posted:

By the way, I've thought about taking pictures while riding and I've also thought about riding cows instead of bikes. I've come up with this

That is not a cow. That is a picture of a cow.

Thank you for your talk of public flap-squeezing, which just confirms my Anglo-Saxon preconceptions. Why has no one ever mentioned this before? I think I need a holiday. In fact, I can see the advertising campaign now -

:j: Kom til Norge! Var du kan klemfare min flaps. *winks*

Seriously though, I am glad to see that sentence construction in English is as confusing for some of your compatriots as sentence construction in Scandiwegian is for English speakers.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tachonium posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna sit on some different bikes this weekend to get a feel for styles of bars.

If your legs or knees cramp up, some kind of highway peg is a freaking godsend.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Saga posted:

At least over here, exchange rates are loving killing the big 4. Triumph can make money on Bonnes and still undercut them. Triumph's twins are hardly considerable unreliable or badly built, so I have to agree this seems like it would be a pretty questionable product outside of the JDM.

That is not a cow. That is a picture of a cow.

Thank you for your talk of public flap-squeezing, which just confirms my Anglo-Saxon preconceptions. Why has no one ever mentioned this before? I think I need a holiday. In fact, I can see the advertising campaign now -

Seriously though, I am glad to see that sentence construction in English is as confusing for some of your compatriots as sentence construction in Scandiwegian is for English speakers.

quote:

Were you can go hug my flaps.

:v:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Someone pleeeeeease talk me out of buying the new Kawasaki 9.6V. My wallet would appreciate it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It'll give you cancer.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Green is the slowest color

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Crafstman has a superior warranty.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Spiffness posted:

Green is the slowest color

But it has 3x the RWHP of my Sportster...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marv Hushman posted:

But it has 3x the RWHP of my Sportster...

:xd:

Now what would you want that for anyways?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Z3n posted:

I dunno, but I'll bet it jumps right out of your hand the second you turn it on...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I have one with a front brake on it. Soon as I touched it it started to flip so I had to lay her down.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Well, if you have an india rubber belt you can use one to run a ditch pump. A small ditch pump, obviously. With lots of easily-marred chrome and not very good for draining ditches, but...

Z3n posted:

:v:

e: Sorry, I should have used "whust" to make the horrible joke about false cognates more obvious. :(

Saga fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 1, 2010

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Buy it, you'll amaze(or dismay) all your friends doing stuff to your Sporty with a GAWDDAMN JAP TOOL:argh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

Well, if you have an india rubber belt you can use one to run a ditch pump. A small ditch pump, obviously. With lots of easily-marred chrome and not very good for draining ditches, but...

e: Sorry, I should have used "whust" to make the horrible joke about false cognates more obvious. :(

I don't think the subtleties of it would have survived the large hammer that is google translate anyways. That's the beauty of the internet...it lets you speak all languages poorly.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Buddy wants to ride up the 33 this weekend, but I'm needing a valve adjustment, a new rear tire, new front brake pads and an oil change.

No way all of that is happening in time. :(

I did buy a set of feeler gauges today, so there's a sliver of hope, but the tire is what's worrying me most.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Marv Hushman posted:

Someone pleeeeeease talk me out of buying the new Kawasaki 9.6V. My wallet would appreciate it.

I bought the 7.2v cordless Dremel, and it was a weak turd pile. My $20 Target-store-brand, plug-in rotary tool was at least 40x better. Granted that's 9.6v, but I'm just saying to be warned, as it may just be terrible.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Fantastipotamus posted:

I bought the 7.2v cordless Dremel, and it was a weak turd pile. My $20 Target-store-brand, plug-in rotary tool was at least 40x better. Granted that's 9.6v, but I'm just saying to be warned, as it may just be terrible.

Kawasaki power-tools are terribly. They're cheap Chinese manufactured and just Kawasaki branded pieces of poo poo. Honda as a line of identical tools from the same manufacturer.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Saga posted:

I would easily travel to any place that advertised this.

If you want to have more fun with google translate, I've written up a thing on one of the national tourist roads. Contains quite a lot of lefse material.

http://www.mc24.no/article.php?articleID=2539&categoryID=126

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I should read hellforleather more. They're brilliant. This sentence in a previous article about the new Ducati is wonderful, I'm glad someone finally said it.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/06/spy-photos-2011-ducati-vyper-performance-cruiser/

quote:

Honestly baby boomers, can’t you just gently caress off and die already? Or at
least stop buying bikes so that we can finally get the affordable,
practical, mid-capacity bikes we want instead of the over-compensation
you need?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, except the HfL writers generally live in a dream world existing only of 400cc standards. They think a Street Triple is too big.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I liked their promo for the Star Stryker: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/09/star-strykes-blow-at-miffed-honda/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I liked their promo for the Star Stryker: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/09/star-strykes-blow-at-miffed-honda/

Agree. Yes, it might be self centered to rip on other stereotypes while feeling good about your own, but I happen to be aligned with that hypocricy and dammit I don't mind. I get to rip on others!

Another great article is the one about the new book, "age of superheroes". http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/09/1989-when-gp-racers-were-superheroes-and-traction-control-hadn%e2%80%99t-been-invented/

racinghands.jpg

Ola fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 4, 2010

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Speaking of hands, I now realize why some people have a disdain for safety gear. I switched to my thicker gloves now that its getting a little bit cooler. I went from a pair of hand-me-down Joe Rocket padded things back to my Kevlar thick leather gloves this morning and I miss the tactile feel of the controls. I had no confidence in my low speed turns because I didn't have the same "feel" of the throttle like I normally do. :smith: Here's to hoping that changing gloves is like changing boots. It only took me two rides to get used to my new ones.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crayvex posted:

Speaking of hands, I now realize why some people have a disdain for safety gear. I switched to my thicker gloves now that its getting a little bit cooler. I went from a pair of hand-me-down Joe Rocket padded things back to my Kevlar thick leather gloves this morning and I miss the tactile feel of the controls. I had no confidence in my low speed turns because I didn't have the same "feel" of the throttle like I normally do. :smith: Here's to hoping that changing gloves is like changing boots. It only took me two rides to get used to my new ones.

Nope, winter gloves suck all the time. It's just getting warm enough to wear my Joe Rocket GPX race gloves during the day, but not at night, so I carry my winter ones in my backpack when I work nights so I've only gotta wear them once per day.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Ride more. ;) Really the only problem I have with winter gloves is that they increase the thickness of the handlebars too much for comfort. I like comfort.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I ride everyday, rail or shine. Doesn't stop winter gloves being big, bulky and numb.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I refuse to grow up, and it's too fun. I was cleaning the garage this weekend so I moved the bike out to the driveway. Since it was out there already, I thought I might as well clean and lube my chain.

When I was ready to put it away, I couldn't just move it the 15 feet into garage - oh no. I had to drive around my yard and through my (very small) woods for 5 minutes instead. Something about driving around my yard makes me act like an idiot trying to spin the rear wheel and see how fast I can go. Somehow I didn't wreck being a jackass.

On a different note, I rode my bike out to a party on Saturday at my friend's parents house. They live "out in the boonies" and the road I took to get there is deep, freshly laid gravel, and the road is just in terrible condition thanks to all the big truck traffic (natural gas drilling is huge around here now). I'm going up this hill being very careful with the throttle, the hill is about as steep as any road I've been on (paved or not - literally when I took one of my older cars out there it was a 2nd gear hill and I was losing traction just trying to keep a steady speed) and it's long. Halfway to the top I'm going probably 20 or 25 in 2nd gear and the road gets a great washboard effect that causes the rear wheel to loose traction. Not a terribly thrilling story but it was a hairy ride especially since I switched from dualsport tires to 90% road tires recently.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I ride everyday, rail or shine. Doesn't stop winter gloves being big, bulky and numb.

Isn't that kind of hard on your tires? :haw:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Crayvex posted:

The helimots have really thick palm leather, I adjusted to it after a little while. Some people are really sensitive to it, I don't really feel like it's a huge deal.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Crayvex posted:

I rode home once without gloves because I forgot them in my locker at work. Yeah, stupid, but I was in a stupid sort of frame of mind anyway. My hands were pretty freaking cold but it's weird, you really do feel more connected to the machinery some how with bare hands.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oh god, potential 1180cc Speed Triple.

My pants fit funny.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Oh god, potential 1180cc Speed Triple.

My pants fit funny.

NOTE: requires one day of charging for every two days of sitting

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Phat_Albert posted:

It'll probably require more recharges than a Tesla Roadster to make it 100 miles.

You're not a nice guy, Mr. Albert ;)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Phat_Albert posted:

This just in - the Rocket IV will come with a trailer, its own transformer and 10 miles of hi-viz insulated cable to get you from home to even the most remote of cafes.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Any suggestions on how to convince my girlfriend to get a motorcycle? We've both got scooters in our garage (and she is a patched scooter club member (!)) but I've got a V-Strom she can't get on. I want her to ride with me on trips that require freeway access, dammit!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Radbot posted:

Any suggestions on how to convince my girlfriend to get a motorcycle? We've both got scooters in our garage (and she is a patched scooter club member (!)) but I've got a V-Strom she can't get on. I want her to ride with me on trips that require freeway access, dammit!

Do you have superscooters in the US? Suzuki Burgmans, Honda Silverwings etc.? That might be the only way to manage it if she has a mental block about things with a clutch.

Maybe (if she's tall-ish) you could find a small-wheel dirt bike that's freeway-capable? My wife won't generally have much of anything to do with (motorised) bikes, but I could hardly get her off my TY250, even with all of 30 seconds of biking experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Saga posted:

Do you have superscooters in the US? Suzuki Burgmans, Honda Silverwings etc.? That might be the only way to manage it if she has a mental block about things with a clutch.

Maybe (if she's tall-ish) you could find a small-wheel dirt bike that's freeway-capable? My wife won't generally have much of anything to do with (motorised) bikes, but I could hardly get her off my TY250, even with all of 30 seconds of biking experience.

Yeah, I've got a SYM RV250 that's almost as big as a Burgman that she has a lot of fun on, it's the shifting thing. Although, she can shift with a left-hand-shift Vespa/Bajaj so maybe it's just about getting her to take the MSF so she can put it all together. She's a natural and can really rip it up on a scooter so hopefully she'll enjoy it!