Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Thanks for the recommendations. I might be able to swing for the AT-LP120 new or the Regia if I wait a little bit. The Pro-ject Elemental makes me twitchy though. I can see the dog hair clot in the belt now. Going round and round and round...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One important thing to consider that is usually completely neglected in reviews and guides: floors. Wobbly floors? You need mass and the cheap turntables never have that. Concrete floors? Who cares.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Is the turntable really that important if you've got a decent cart? I'm thinking of upgrading but have no idea if it's worth dropping the money. I have a Dual 1237 with an m97xe. It sounds good, but I don't know if it could sound better. The dual has run flawlessly and I scored it for $50.

The rest of my system is:
Restored KLH Model 5
Yaqin MC10
Yaqin MS-23b preamp

The Chinese stuff has been great so far but my next upgrade item is either the turntable or preamp IMO. I just can't make the decision which.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Smeed posted:

Is the turntable really that important if you've got a decent cart? I'm thinking of upgrading but have no idea if it's worth dropping the money. I have a Dual 1237 with an m97xe. It sounds good, but I don't know if it could sound better. The dual has run flawlessly and I scored it for $50.

The rest of my system is:
Restored KLH Model 5
Yaqin MC10
Yaqin MS-23b preamp

The Chinese stuff has been great so far but my next upgrade item is either the turntable or preamp IMO. I just can't make the decision which.

Depends on how lovely the turntable is and if you're battling arm misalignment, motor noise, weak motor, slow motor (wow and flutter,) platter wobble, etc...
Good, but old, turntables are still good. They just might need some maintenance to get them up to snuff.

Edit: Undoubtedly your system could sound better, but if you're happy with what you've got then enjoy it.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 15, 2017

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

I recently picked up this Pioneer SA-8500 ii off Craigslist for $50. It's in great cosmetic condition, inside and out, but I keep running into distortion issues. When I first got it, there was an occasional distortion to the right channel, which was fixed by fiddling the muting switch. I opened it up and cleaned all the switches with contact cleaner, and everything was great for a while.

Then, I started getting reduced volume in one channel, which seemed to be linked to the speaker mode dial. Again, I cleaned all switches very thoroughly - fixed. Then, I started getting a channel cutting out, which I traced to the tone switch. Cleaned. Fine. Now, I get the same distortion on the muting switch again.

I'm not sure what gives here - I've cleaned thoroughly, and it's only been a few weeks since the last cleaning, not long enough for corrosion to build up.

The only thing I didn't do is apply any kind of lubrication - but again, it wouldn't make an impact within a matter of a few weeks, right?

Anyone have any advice? I can try cleaning it once more, but it seems by now it should work. Also, this stuff isn't happening constantly - I fiddled the muting switch a few hours ago and we're still fine...

The Swinemaster fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 15, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Swinemaster posted:

I recently picked up this Pioneer SA-8500 ii off Craigslist for $50. It's in great cosmetic condition, inside and out, but I keep running into distortion issues. When I first got it, there was an occasional distortion to the right channel, which was fixed by fiddling the muting switch. I opened it up and cleaned all the switches with contact cleaner, and everything was great for a while.

Then, I started getting reduced volume in one channel, which seemed to be linked to the speaker mode dial. Again, I cleaned all switches very thoroughly - fixed. Then, I started getting a channel cutting out, which I traced to the tone switch. Cleaned. Fine. Now, I get the same distortion on the muting switch again.

I'm not sure what gives here - I've cleaned thoroughly, and it's only been a few weeks since the last cleaning, not long enough for corrosion to build up.

The only thing I didn't do is apply any kind of lubrication - but again, it wouldn't make an impact within a matter of a few weeks, right?

Anyone have any advice? I can try cleaning it once more, but it seems by now it should work. Also, this stuff isn't happening constantly - I fiddled the muting switch a few hours ago and we're still fine...

That's a hell of a score. It might be due for a recapping though.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's a hell of a score. It might be due for a recapping though.

Yeah, it included the amp, the tuner (pictured), a 5 CD player, and assorted VCRs and broken stuff. I got very lucky.

If it was the caps though, would the cleaning/moving the switches make a difference? I would have thought that would be more of an unchanging issue.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Just saw this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Lo...gAAAOSwr~lYtZLD

What kind of monster would turn that system into...that? God, every time I look it's worse.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Jeza posted:

Just saw this on eBay:

What kind of monster would turn that system into...that? God, every time I look it's worse.

Jesus, my eyes!

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Jeza posted:

Just saw this on eBay:

This is why abortion needs to stay legal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there some sort of bacterial infection or a fungus that causes people to think that modifying whatever they have makes it more valuable? People think they can make their cars ugly as poo poo and sell them for 10x blue book. I saw a guy trying to sell his custom painted christmas themed amiibos for 30 dollars on ebay.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Swinemaster posted:

Yeah, it included the amp, the tuner (pictured), a 5 CD player, and assorted VCRs and broken stuff. I got very lucky.

If it was the caps though, would the cleaning/moving the switches make a difference? I would have thought that would be more of an unchanging issue.

Flipping the switches wouldn't be causing the problem, but caps could be FAILING not necessarily FAILED.
Failing caps do all sorts of weird things, all of which you described. Also, those switches probably needed to be cleaned anyway. And probably still need to be cleaned yet again.

Do yourself a favor and invest in a whole new set of caps for that receiver and a big ol' bottle of Deoxit.
I mean you did get a hell of a deal, I think you can afford to put some money into it.

I'm not sure if you have to be careful about how you clean the pots on the 8500. You might want to do some specific research about whether or not you need dialectic grease to follow the deoxit.

Audiokarma has some useful info.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-sa-8500-rebuild.354908/

I've seen one thread where one guy blamed deoxit on a groud loop issue but I'm not sure how much credence I'd lend that.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 15, 2017

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Flipping the switches wouldn't be causing the problem, but caps could be FAILING not necessarily FAILED.
Failing caps do all sorts of weird things, all of which you described. Also, those switches probably needed to be cleaned anyway. And probably still need to be cleaned yet again.

Do yourself a favor and invest in a whole new set of caps for that receiver and a big ol' bottle of Deoxit.
I mean you did get a hell of a deal, I think you can afford to put some money into it.

I'm not sure if you have to be careful about how you clean the pots on the 8500. You might want to do some specific research about whether or not you need dialectic grease to follow the deoxit.

Audiokarma has some useful info.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-sa-8500-rebuild.354908/

I've seen one thread where one guy blamed deoxit on a groud loop issue but I'm not sure how much credence I'd lend that.

Thanks a lot, that's some good info. Much appreciated.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
Offered a cool $85 for this Sanyo 626 last night after I'd had a few large pours of bourbon. He counter offered $90. What do you guys think? Worth it? Good player? Move Along?

E: had to fix link because I still suck at BBcode

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ChinaBob posted:

Offered a cool $85 for this Sanyo 626 last night after I'd had a few large pours of bourbon. He counter offered $90. What do you guys think? Worth it? Good player? Move Along?

E: had to fix link because I still suck at BBcode

That seems reasonable. You shouldn't have to put any money into it if he's already replaced the belt and stylus, and it should be better than the $100 new turntables out there. It's a bit lacking in features for my tastes, but that's a matter of preference. Sometimes simpler can be better.

The best deals on vintage gear will always be local, but that isn't really an option if you don't have several months (depending on location) to wait around and find a deal on craigslist or whatever.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
My SL-1210 got a drop of oil, new Ortofon OM10 cartridge, new label and slider on the pitch control and its missing hinge cover replaced. Once I receive the new RCA cables I'll crack it open and replace them and the stylus light. I've also given the base a pretty thorough external cleaning and removed the previous owners stickers. Unfortunately he didn't think very far, so I now have two mooses having sex burned into the finish of my very expensive turntable. Also, the guy seemed like he smoked a lot of jazz tobacco, and all the angles and corners of the tonearm is covered in tar and dirt, so that will be a fun job to clean up with a tiny tiny brush. I also have to find some way to fix the stuck height adjustment of the arm.

gently caress knows why the last guy needed to abuse this beautiful turntable so much, but I'm bringing it back to its original glory, slowly and dollar by dollar. Thankfully parts are plentiful and it's not rocket science.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Usually the lubricant for the ring of the height adjustment arm is just dried up and stuck

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Obsessively F5'ing our local Craigslist equivalent pays off again:

Got a Minidisc player and 31 discs FOR FREE!

Never owned one before, it's going to be fun to play with.

Obligatory video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU3BceoMuaA

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

evobatman posted:

Obsessively F5'ing our local Craigslist equivalent pays off again:

Got a Minidisc player and 31 discs FOR FREE!

Never owned one before, it's going to be fun to play with.

Obligatory video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU3BceoMuaA

Oh man, I used to use these things all the time while skiing and biking pre-ipod to avoid skipping. I've still got my portable recorder/player and a handful of discs laying around somewhere in my parents attic.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Greetings vinyl thread! I finally have an apartment with an actual living room, which means that I can finally dip my feet into the vast ocean of home entertainment. Several years ago, my girlfriend got me a Numark TTUSB, and I'd only used the USB out to listen to my records via my computer speakers. I'm looking for some insight as to how I can run the line cable into a Bluetooth transmitter that would be paired to a set of speakers or a soundbar across the room (roughly 10' away.)

I've been googling and reading other people's experiences in doing this, but I'm always interested in hearing other goons' experiences with this kind of set-up. What kinds of equipment did you use? Were there any unforeseen problems that you encountered? Anything that you'd recommend that I do instead?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If you simply record your vinyl onto minidisc, you should find it easy to attach a standard 3.5mm to bluetooth audio adapter...

Sorry, I don't have specific hardware recommendations. I've only used to cheapass BT receivers from aliexpress and things worked out fine. Seems like the line-level out on that turntable will make this project pretty easy (compared to phono out only).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I remember in the early 2000's hearing about people that would take their minidisc recorders to CD stores and bootleg music from the little listening stations they had. That's pretty hilarious.

HI-MD was actually a pretty reasonable alternative to mp3 players back around 2005. Sony was getting aggressive with the pricing. The top-of-the-line consumer model (MZ-RH10) was only about $250. Cheaper models were $170. HI-MD discs were about $5/ea, and regular minidiscs were down to about $1/ea. This was at a time when 2GB flash mp3 players were $200+, and hard disk players were $300-400.

Sure, you had to deal with the lovely software, but most mp3 players of the time had their own lovely proprietary software too.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

wa27 posted:

HI-MD was actually a pretty reasonable alternative to mp3 players back around 2005. Sony was getting aggressive with the pricing. The top-of-the-line consumer model (MZ-RH10) was only about $250. Cheaper models were $170. HI-MD discs were about $5/ea, and regular minidiscs were down to about $1/ea. This was at a time when 2GB flash mp3 players were $200+, and hard disk players were $300-400.

Sure, you had to deal with the lovely software, but most mp3 players of the time had their own lovely proprietary software too.

I had a HI-MD mini disc player I used for years. My only gripe besides the bad software was the fact that it used AA Batteries, that was kind of a pain. Great portable audio solution, clocked alot of miles on my road bike in college listening to it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I thought I'd show off my homemade RCA cables.

The plugs are from China, where you can get them in big batches for $10-20 shipped. They are probably made of lead paint.

The cable is Van Damme instrument cable, which also is like $10 for 3 ft/1m.

I use solderless plugs, so all you have to do is strip the cable and screw them into the plugs. Feels like $1000 cables, and probably sounds exactly the same.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

evobatman posted:

I thought I'd show off my homemade RCA cables.

The plugs are from China, where you can get them in big batches for $10-20 shipped. They are probably made of lead paint.

The cable is Van Damme instrument cable, which also is like $10 for 3 ft/1m.

I use solderless plugs, so all you have to do is strip the cable and screw them into the plugs. Feels like $1000 cables, and probably sounds exactly the same.

I would be incredibly okay with lead connectors.
What's the brand? I've been looking for some nice fat solder-less ends for my interconnects and I really like the way those ends look.

Edit: I've been looking into making right angle balanced XLR cables. I'll post those up after I make them.
There are ends that you can buy but at $15-25 each they're a touch on the expensive side.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 20, 2017

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
It says Nakamichi on them, but gently caress knows if it's actually that or if it's a 4th generation remold. I also bought matching banana plugs for making up speaker cables at a later point, I don't actually have speakers or sources that take banana plugs now.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

First setup en route and should be here by the end of the week:

Sansui SR 212 TT
Pioneer sx-535
(& bookshelf speakers I got on amazon)

I'm.. pretty excited..

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Couple of decent finds this last weekend

Akai 4000 DS Mk II in pretty much excellent condition. Needed a bit of polishing up but sounds great.

And better still, this beast. Sony TC-765

That one needs a bit of work, obviously, but it powers on and runs, just needs a good cleaning and lube and all the other basic maintenance. And a new erase head, looks like. And some cosmetic work. I'm told it fell off a cabinet, but given the weight of this thing I'd hazard the floor was worse off than the player.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Dogen posted:

Usually the lubricant for the ring of the height adjustment arm is just dried up and stuck

Yeah, it came loose after a bit of wriggling. Cleaned up the tonearm a bit and set the height right for the cartridge. Little by little it's coming together to be a complete good turntable again, which unfortunately I'll have to sell to recoup just some of my investment in it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I inherited some of my dad's old stereo equipment including JBL L100s and a Pioneer PL-51a turntable.

My mom found this documentation and sent it to me. Sadly the SA7500 and TX-7500 are gone but pretty awesome paperwork. Thought I'd share.

Bonus picture of temporary setup with the L100s. Looking for a Pioneer SA7500 and Pioneer TX7500 to run the same setup my dad had, and I used to blast, growing up.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 23, 2017

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I've never seen (or maybe noticed) reel to reel media at used record shops. Where do you pick them up? Was it a common medium, or is the selection of music limited? Are they rare?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They were used a lot like cassette tapes to dub your LPs or for home recording. Actual albums released on tape were more rare.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I can remember my dad having a few albums on open reel tape, don't remember what, but yeah it was a pretty uncommon format for prerecorded music, and unless it was stored well wouldn't really hold up well after a few decades. You can still find blank reels pretty easily though.

It's a fun thing to play with, making mix tapes from your vinyl and such to put on when you have people over or whatever, though.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I think reel-to-reel is sort of cool to look at, and the retro tech aspect of it pretty cool too, but honestly my taste in vintage audio (as far as it can be) veers towards the more pragmatic. They are massive and so impractical. I don't even bother with cassette, so reel-to-reel is like a totally other world. It's like I sometimes see those old film projectors for sale, usually for insanely cheap for what would once have been insanely expensive equpment, but then I ask myself what am I going to do with some 30kg film projector.

Pretty much all my music is just digital and I use AUX input. No romantic old school stack system for tapes, CDs, vinyl etc. Hell, even the tuners are just eye candy pretty much.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just don't get the nostalgia for tape.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I think if all my mix tapes had managed to survive all the moving I did as a kid (also I think I basically ditched them 100% when I got a CD burner) I'd have a nice tape setup and would be into it, but it's really hard to see the point nowadays. Vinyl makes a lot more sense to me than cassettes do.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I don't have any myself yet but I could see the cost and compactness of tapes compared to vinyl being appealing as far as collectible items go.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cojawfee posted:

Reel-to-reel tape is the highest fidelity analog format available to consumers, so that probably explains the appeal.

Cassette tape is 100% only for nostalgia reasons, though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

Reel-to-reel tape is the highest fidelity analog format available to consumers, so that probably explains the appeal.

Cassette tape is 100% only for nostalgia reasons, though.

Yeah cassettes are terrible. Reel to reel is pretty cool, but honestly it's such a hassle and it's not a very popular format for most things.
At least with the vinyl resurgence I can get new records. I have no idea where the gently caress I'd get new tapes. I got rid of all my R2R stuff about this time last year. I traded it all for an original pressing of Jimmy Eat World's Clarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Vinyl is great because you can buy plenty of old stuff, and lots of new stuff and it at least sounds good. Casette tapes usually sound pretty crappy unless you go out of your way to get something decent. I've never seen much about reel to reel tapes.