Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Godzilla07 posted:

I know taking shots at Nate Silver's Math Click Farm is really easy but good god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win 1.34 to 0.

Also:

http://jezebel.com/world-cup-soccer-stats-erase-the-sports-most-dominant-p-1601275793

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Yeah replace Thiago Silva with Daniel Alves, sounds good to me his stats are off the chain.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I don't want to take anything away from what Landon Donovan has achieved. It is commendable. But every time he sits there, silently allowing that phrase to be rattled off — "all-time leading U.S. goal scorer" — without pointing out that he is the all-time leading men's goal scorer, it does take away from what Abby Wambach and Mia Hamm have achieved — total world domination.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Yeah replace Thiago Silva with Daniel Alves, sounds good to me his stats are off the chain.

Jo is one of the best 200 players in the world

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win 1.34 to 0.

Also:

http://jezebel.com/world-cup-soccer-stats-erase-the-sports-most-dominant-p-1601275793

of course it's loving Jezebel, my god that site is a morass of terrible feminism

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

African AIDS cum posted:

I don't want to take anything away from what Landon Donovan has achieved. It is commendable. But every time he sits there, silently allowing that phrase to be rattled off — "all-time leading U.S. goal scorer" — without pointing out that he is the all-time leading men's goal scorer, it does take away from what Abby Wambach and Mia Hamm have achieved — total world domination.

Abby Wambach scored 62 goals in 11 years as a professional footballer, including 9 for a team called magicJack. She's Jozy level.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Godzilla07 posted:

I know taking shots at Nate Silver's Math Click Farm is really easy but good god.

Hmm yes, what better replacement for world class centre half Thiago Silva than Dani loving Alves? loving hell.

e; lol I forgot to read the new page, beaten. gj lads

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Also:

I'm a total social justice warrior in most regards and there's a surprising amount of fiery Jezebel rhetoric I agree with, but this is too dumb. The sheer ignorance about football (women have more goals because they have longer careers and more of their games end in penalty shootouts!!) overwhelmed any desire I had to listen to what points the author was actually trying to make.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

The Mash posted:

I'm a total social justice warrior in most regards and there's a surprising amount of fiery Jezebel rhetoric I agree with, but this is too dumb. The sheer ignorance about football (women have more goals because they have longer careers and more of their games end in penalty shootouts!!) overwhelmed any desire I had to listen to what points the author was actually trying to make.

I know everyone knows this already but I just watched some women's league highlights on BBC sport and feel it bears repeating: female keepers are bad. Like, worse than male school kids bad.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/science/soccer-a-beautiful-game-of-chance.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

quote:

I’ve been watching the World Cup with some frustrated American social scientists. When they see an underdog team triumph with a miraculous rebound or an undeserved penalty kick, they don’t jump up and scream “Goooaaalll!” They just shake their heads and mutter, “Measurement error.”

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Intergortion posted:

I know everyone knows this already but I just watched some women's league highlights on BBC sport and feel it bears repeating: female keepers are bad. Like, worse than male school kids bad.

Worse than sticking the fat kid in goal? I find this hard to believe.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

The first half of that was actually decent, aside from the notion that Manchester United "buy the best talent"

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

http://youtu.be/7yVCYFD6flU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

quote:

But the outcome of any one match is unpredictable enough to confound the most sophisticated computer modelers, as Roger Pielke Jr. of the University of Colorado has demonstrated in his evaluation of a dozen forecasts for this World Cup. He found that the “stochastic model” of Goldman Sachs economists and the elaborate Soccer Power Index developed by Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight made fewer correct predictions for games in the group stage than did much simpler systems based only on the monetary value of the players or on the teams’ ranking by FIFA, soccer’s world governing body.

noooo my advanced stats, they were all for naught

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

worse predictive power than actual FIFA rankings, goddamn

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Azerban posted:

Well just think about the advanced stats that go into calculating the FIFA rankings in the first place.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
http://www.cracked.com/video_18996_the-world-cup-as-understood-by-americans.html

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

You know I think I preferred a world when Americans were entirely ignorant of football.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvsuYssoTw0

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Christ, this is some unfunny bullshit.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sexual assault and domestic violence are no laughing matter

e/ and the rest of the poo poo in this video is a no laughing zone either

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Azerban posted:

Reminder that Deutsche Bank spent a poo poo load of money on a system that predicted England would win the World Cup lmao

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I'll give you three guesses where this comment came from and the first two don't count:

I just want a European country to win so we can tone down all this belligerent South American nationalism, which is way too edgy for my taste. They are overwrought and need to swallow a football-sized chill pill.
All this flagwaving and crying, it's getting like the Olympics. Football is a game played by creatures that evolved to walk on two legs; it deserves better than all this baboon-troop grunting.
Even the western European players are now being told to sing their national anthem, by officials fearful we're being out-fanaticised by Russians, Americans, Hondurans and other hand-on-heart types. Seriously, you love Honduras that much? And what have we done to the Brazilians that they have to shout their national anthem at us so angrily?

The football's been good, at least in the group stages. But this World Cup has shown the sad, creeping growth of nationalism as humanity enters the 21st century arse-forwards, eyes firmly fixed on the past.
2014 is the new 1914. Twenty years ago, no-one was singing that poo poo, certainly not shouting it, and the world was a better place for it.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Troy Queef posted:

I'll give you three guesses where this comment came from and the first two don't count:

I just want a European country to win so we can tone down all this belligerent South American nationalism, which is way too edgy for my taste. They are overwrought and need to swallow a football-sized chill pill.
All this flagwaving and crying, it's getting like the Olympics. Football is a game played by creatures that evolved to walk on two legs; it deserves better than all this baboon-troop grunting.
Even the western European players are now being told to sing their national anthem, by officials fearful we're being out-fanaticised by Russians, Americans, Hondurans and other hand-on-heart types. Seriously, you love Honduras that much? And what have we done to the Brazilians that they have to shout their national anthem at us so angrily?

The football's been good, at least in the group stages. But this World Cup has shown the sad, creeping growth of nationalism as humanity enters the 21st century arse-forwards, eyes firmly fixed on the past.
2014 is the new 1914. Twenty years ago, no-one was singing that poo poo, certainly not shouting it, and the world was a better place for it.

Please don't post my dairy itt.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Pand posted:

Please don't post my dairy itt.

I didn't know your cows felt so strongly about South American nationalism.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Nostradingus posted:

I didn't know your cows felt so strongly about South American nationalism.

lol not going to edit it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

monkey smashes heaven

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

I feel like I'm missing a reference.

Also, click for big:

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 9, 2014

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

monkey smashes heaven

if it were Monkey Smashes Heaven it'd be angry that the only team they could support (Iran) got knocked out

it's Teh Gruniad

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

if it were Monkey Smashes Heaven it'd be angry that the only team they could support (Iran) got knocked out

it's Teh Gruniad

lmao

now that I reread it, it's extremely british

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

lmao

now that I reread it, it's extremely british

it's loaded with "our national anthem is poo poo and we're a country whose best days are firmly behind them" subtext, that's for certain

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Brazil and Holland have always been my favourite teams in the World Cup. I fell in love with the Dutch in 74 and Brazil in 82.

For the FIRST time in my life I was rooting for Germany. The reason: this is the worst Brazil team I have ever seen other than the 1974 one; "well that is no reason to dislike them" you say?, true; that is no reason to dislike a team, not being good enough. But, if it were only that - lack of ability/talent - I would still wish them well, but this is one of the dirtiest, thuggiest teams I have ever seen in a World Cup.

They thought they could kick the opposition of the pitch and stopped playing football. When they had to play football to get back in the game... they had forgotten how.
Felipe Scolari is the Tony Pulis of Brazilian football. From Mario Zagallo and Tele Santana to this clown. How have the mighty fallen. As usual though, no one will blame the coach, all the blame will be deflected onto the players.

After what Brazil did to James Rodriguez and Colombia; this boys and girls, is what they call SWEET, SWEET, KARMA!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Not sure why people are so down against using data to aid in understanding the game. Not everyone has the time to watch every single soccer match and get an intuition.

Just learning things like the better ranked teams tend to do get the largest advantage in extra time vs PKs, and having data to back it up is pretty big. And knowing the parts of the field that have the highest percentage looks.

At least its more approachable than ideas that make less sense out of context like 'beautiful game'.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Tezzeract posted:

Not sure why people are so down against using data to aid in understanding the game. Not everyone has the time to watch every single soccer match and get an intuition.

Just learning things like the better ranked teams tend to do get the largest advantage in extra time vs PKs, and having data to back it up is pretty big. And knowing the parts of the field that have the highest percentage looks.

At least its more approachable than ideas that make less sense out of context like 'beautiful game'.

lol source your quotes

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tezzeract posted:

right thread

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
What are highest percentage looks?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

peanut- posted:

What are highest percentage looks?

Upskirt and sideboob

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

sassassin posted:

Upskirt and sideboob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Tezzeract posted:

Teams use advanced statistics, and no one is really arguing that they're useless. It's more that amateurs making up advanced stats is dumb and pointless, especially when you see retarded poo poo like DZSiBOT or a retarded VORP analysis for what would happen if Maicon played center back for Brazil.