Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

divabot posted:

Mind if I quote these sentences attributed to your band names? (you almost certainly don't mind, but I thought I should ask first.)

Today's substantial musical contribution: Massenhysterie, Austrian goths doing Neue Deutsche Welleish fetish cabaret with that authentic "we just bought our first MS-20" sound. A tendency to gratuitous quirkiness, but fundamentally you should know what to expect from that description. There's also a video or two.
If I ever grow tired of stern-looking German women in purple hair and leather outfits yelling at me over synths, put me down for my own good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wikkheiser posted:

If I ever grow tired of stern-looking German women in purple hair and leather outfits yelling at me over synths, put me down for my own good.

New thread title

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wikkheiser posted:

If I ever grow tired of stern-looking bald German or Swedish men yelling at me over synths, put me down for my own good.

Fixed that for you.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Fixed that for you.
Also true.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Wikkheiser posted:

Austrian, how dare you sir!

(also I'm pretty sure that's all PVC)

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

New thread title

+1

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Some ambitious person could start a new thread. I'm sure the op who hasn't posted in a month nor posted in the thread since october would mind.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

divabot posted:

Mind if I quote these sentences attributed to your band names? (you almost certainly don't mind, but I thought I should ask first.)

Today's substantial musical contribution: Massenhysterie, Austrian goths doing Neue Deutsche Welleish fetish cabaret with that authentic "we just bought our first MS-20" sound. A tendency to gratuitous quirkiness, but fundamentally you should know what to expect from that description. There's also a video or two.

Actually, well, it would not be couth towards our guitarist who's just in the beginning phases of trying to learn how to engineer sound. So please omit the word lovely from my quote.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 25, 2016

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ohrwurm posted:

Some ambitious person could start a new thread. I'm sure the op who hasn't posted in a month nor posted in the thread since october would mind.

Industrial music thread: we still can't agree on what industrial music is. Or isn't.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Industrial music thread: we still can't agree on what industrial music is. Or isn't.

That's part of what makes it interesting and varied.

If there's a new thread, your quote from this one's OP needs to be there:

Industrial music is dead. This is a thread about EBM. Wait, no, that just leads to arguments about Front 242 and how there's been no real EBM since about 1994. Terror EBM? No, that sounds silly. Synthpop? No, that makes me think of the Pet Shop Boys. Electropop? Same thing but with tighter trousers and more girls. Futurepop? That just sounds silly. Aggrotech? I don't even know what the gently caress. Post-industrial? As if half the fans of this stuff these days have even HEARD of real old-school industrial bands. Rhythmic noise? We can't call it that, because all the atonal noise fans who like Merzbow and whatever get grumpy. Okay, it's electro-industrial and to hell with any more specific genre names than that.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
So the I Die: You Die peeps have set up an EXCITING SLACK CHANNEL for industrial music chats. Like rivethead IRC or something. Open to all interested parties with poor judgement. If you wanna be added fire an e-mail to contact@idieyoudie.com asking for an invite!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Babby Sathanas posted:

Infest this Friday! Absolutely can't wait. Goon roll call? (or just Octopus and I?)

I will be about as well!

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Twiin posted:

Open to all interested parties with poor judgement.

Sounds like it was made for me.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
EBM is Hi-NRG disco in a minor key, and instead of soul divas you have shouty Germans.

Suchen
Auf der Suche nach Liebe
Die ganze Zeit, ich kann!
Suchen
Auf der Suche nach Liebe
Ich habe einen Mann zu finden!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is there a thread where people talk about Hi-NRG and italo? Because I would be all over that.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Is there a thread where people talk about Hi-NRG and italo? Because I would be all over that.
If you're into that you should check out Retronic Voice. So good.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hedenius posted:

Woooah yeah. This is nice.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Y'all should join the slack group. It's a cool place to be

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ohrwurm posted:

Y'all should join the slack group. It's a cool place to be

Is there an IRC gateway? I'm on EFnet #altgothic (for the people who were on Usenet in the late 20th century) and it's near ghost town, so if I can connect with Hexchat I'm there.

Hedenius posted:

oh my god that's italo

oh, my article on witch house. In full grumpy cynical old man mode. The picture is good. Hedy Lamarr sort of invented wifi you know.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

divabot posted:

Is there an IRC gateway? I'm on EFnet #altgothic (for the people who were on Usenet in the late 20th century) and it's near ghost town, so if I can connect with Hexchat I'm there.

I don't think they would be against turning it on if you ask nicely.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'd be interested if it was IRC or accessible through an IRC client, I'm not good with these modern newfangled 21st century things but I have IRC on all the time.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Entropist posted:

I'd be interested if it was IRC or accessible through an IRC client, I'm not good with these modern newfangled 21st century things but I have IRC on all the time.

You can access slack with the irc gateway, but it has to be turned on by an admin (of which I am not)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Youth Code. Dead When I Found Her. They both have a strong Skuppy influence.
Been a while but yeah I like what I've heard here so far. There are especially a couple Youth Code songs I found on youtube that sounded like they could almost have come off the Bites record. I'll be checking out Dead When I Found Her this weekend.

LabyaMynora posted:

In addition to Dead When I Found Her and Youth Code, I'd recommend V▲LH▲LL's "Shadows" EP:

https://vlhll.bandcamp.com/album/shadows

If you like it, check out the album it's based on, "Leaning on Shadows," even though that's not very Skinny Puppy-ish.

Other than that, if you're not familiar with Skinny Puppy side projects, Download's "Eyes of Stanley Pain" is the most Puppy-ish, but from the 90s.

I can't think of much else modern that evokes Skinny Puppy without being mawkish. Also from the 90s, there's Front Line Assembly's "Tactical Neural Implant," and "Hard Wired," which aren't Puppy-ish per se, but scratch the same itch for me. Haujobb's "Homes & Gardens" and "Freeze Frame Reality," too, but now I'm just recommending stuff from the same era, not necessarily modern.
Oh, I know FLA and Haujobb quite well. I might be the only weirdo who considers Implode to be the best FLA record :v:

e: Also, if you guys who are into this kind of stuff don't know about them, check out old I, Parasite. Turin and Horseslayer were a whole lot of fun. Especially Brutality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9z58CrUNDQ

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 26, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Doubting Thomas is another great Skinny Puppy side project that's not as well known. A lot of the songs really sound like re-worked Puppy songs that never made it in to an album.

Leeb & his cohorts were notorious for that with the insane number of FLA side projects (I think even their side projects had side projects!). Noise Unit's Decoder supposedly started out as the first version of what became Millenium - they scrapped all the songs other than This Faith and started over (which explains why that song sticks out so much).

PS Implode is my second favorite FLA album behind Hard Wired.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

A reddit industrial post got me invited to irc.thegleek.com #oontz which has very active topical chat.

The slack thing isn't impressing me yet.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Whether "Witch House" or not, Salem own, its got this bizzare 'i feel like I'm dead' dreaminess going on
https://youtu.be/weDQIkGhEkY

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Slack room is pretty :coal:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Brian Eno knows the score

https://twitter.com/dark_shark/status/764314305709809665/

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
drat, Alec Empire has some pretty swole arms. When he leaned out into the crowd, some girl totally squeezed his arm muscles while guys were trying to high five him :v:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lol something like half or even most of the people in this slack channel are industrial musicians. i feel overmatched.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hah yeah I caught on shortly before I said anything that would put my foot in my mouth.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Infest trip report: Me The Tiger, Dead When I Found Her, Tapewyrm, Atari Teenage Riot and Rroyce were all really good live.

See any or all of them if you get the chance!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I really need to see Dead When I Found Her. I put them in the Amphi Festival visitor feedback thing where they ask which bands people want to see at the festival. Maybe I get lucky next year?

Also the Slack channel is good and cool and now I have yet another place where I can endlessly spam garbage about Project Pitchfork

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
My latest synthpop EP came out last week. There are a few remixes by Nature of Wires, Avarice in Audio, and SØLVE.
The full album is up on youtube/spotify/probably a few Russian torrents by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLjnHG2quGY

Hope you guys enjoy!
If you're interested in a physical copy AnalogueTrash is selling cassettes of the release.
Positive and negative feedback are totally welcome.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
That Bandcamp piece, viciously mining this very thread for quotes (with permission)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Konstruct posted:

My latest synthpop EP came out last week. There are a few remixes by Nature of Wires, Avarice in Audio, and SØLVE.
The full album is up on youtube/spotify/probably a few Russian torrents by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLjnHG2quGY

Hope you guys enjoy!
If you're interested in a physical copy AnalogueTrash is selling cassettes of the release.
Positive and negative feedback are totally welcome.

Cool.
Out of curiosity, I see that it is on google play as well. What streaming site gives you the best $$ per play? or do they even give you enough for it to matter?

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

deong posted:

Cool.
Out of curiosity, I see that it is on google play as well. What streaming site gives you the best $$ per play? or do they even give you enough for it to matter?

To be honest from my perspective it's so little it makes little difference with my play count. Anything received from streaming sites is purely icing on the cake for me.

Geckolio
Feb 24, 2002

swallow that garbage

God Of Paradise posted:

So I have the issue where I'm obsessed with bands like Swans, Big Black, A Place to Bury Strangers, Einstruzende Neubauten, Pop. 1280., Cabaret Voltaire, Have A Nice Life and The Soft Moon.

If industrial is considered to be just TG and poo poo, or industrial is considered to be EBM bands like VNV Nation or Combichrist, or industrial is that industrial metal craze of the 90s or whatever.... What the hell is the label or term for what I listen to?

Any time you try to talk to anyone about industrial music, I've found it becomes a massive pissing contest about this very subject, and I don't want to be associated with it. So should I just describe all the bands I like as "Post Punk?"

I feel you, when I'm searching for new music I don't even know what genres to begin to search for. You mentioned wanting more stuff like that Forces EP, I've been looking too but haven't found anything quite like it yet, that thing was killer and I posted it in this thread and no one replied :smith:. However you and I have pretty similar taste in music so I'm gonna list some mostly hard-to-categorize artists I've seen or been listening to lately that you might dig that also wouldn't be too out of place in this thread:

Vanligt Folk - Some Swedes making some really cool EBM-y music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvrAp4hOBLM

Algiers - Atlanta-based Marxist experimental rock dudes, and the vocalist has some killer pipes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpLMc6nWtJw

Rakta - Postpunk from Sao Paulo, they reminded me of The Soft Moon a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JYiENE-i-E

Mueran Humanos - Some really weird noisy electronic rock from Argentina (now Berlin) who played in San Francisco last week and I was too tired to see them and I feel like an idiot because they're great, I just hope they come back around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXLES5rHxj8

Kirin J Callinan - From Melbourne, totally hard to categorize but very talented and doesn't take himself seriously at all (see his performance at the Sydney Opera House Ted Talk <3 ), and this track features Alex Akers from Forces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziod9Gc3aww

Las Suicas - Two Latinas from Oakland who make experimental reggaeton and list Diamanda Galas, Throbbing Gristle and Neubauten as an influence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDlTgY5n5_c

Powell - British dude, really noisy techno and a fantastic DJ to boot. He e-mailed Steve Albini to ask if he could sample Big Black and got an amazing angry letter back which he ended up posting on a huge billboard as an ad, and apparently he also put it in the music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oem6gEEajZU

I'll stop here but I'm so loving happy with how much awesome weird music has been coming out in the last five years and just keeps coming.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I have a problem I'm trying to solve: loving Wikipedia(tm). Now I've been involved in the world's favourite encyclopedia since 2004 and know how the rules work, and even the most infuriating rules all there for a reason. In particular the "notability" rules are there because spammers mean we can't have nice things.

So this presents a certain problem for our favourite musical genre, because the sourcing is thin as gently caress and is mostly blogs (which don't count).

One thing which does count is a national chart, including minor national charts. Say ... the Deutsche Alternative Charts. If your record gets a DAC entry, it prima facie passes notability.

What I can't find is any handy source on past DACs. Like, at all. Is there such a thing? Is there even a subscription source without a swingeing price?

(The other sort of sourcing is print magazines in German, but this requires someone on the ground to source them.)

[The more general problem is that music journalism has been destroyed by the Internet when it took out the record industry. Speaking as a former music journalist, I can only see this as a good thing for humanity. But it does mean that an indie band from the 1980s will often have excellent sources, but one from the 2010s just won't.]

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Maybe contact them directly and ask? I can't find any hint of an archive either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Looking at the notability guidelines, isn't simply being on the roster of a label enough, if that label has been going a while and has a few bands? Some bands seem to just have their label website bio/album pages as sources?