Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pokeyman posted:

It's "In Review".

It used to be in "Metadata Rejected" because the reviewer couldn't log in, because the Forums were down :(

So I take it there's an account for the reviewer. I'm curious, have they ever posted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

carry on then posted:

So I take it there's an account for the reviewer. I'm curious, have they ever posted?

I don't know. I'm actually impressed they haven't gotten themselves banned.

Now if they could actually log in, we could push the next version out :(

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

While images are loading in a thread the button on posts that lets you quote and copy urls and stuff doesn't work at all. There's no stop button like in a web browser so if say AT&T's great LTE service is taking five minutes to download a single image I'm kind of stuck waiting if I want to quote someone on that page. Could this be fixed?

E: the menu that shows up when you tap the arrow next to someone's name doesn't work while images are loading either.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 26, 2014

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Since the forums went back up, I get this error when trying to load a forum. Bookmarks work fine.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

carry on then posted:

It probably isn't too hard to find someone at Apple with an SA forums account.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

straight jerkers posted:

There's no stop button like in a web browser so if say AT&T's great LTE service is taking five minutes to download a single image I'm kind of stuck waiting if I want to quote someone on that page. Could this be fixed?
The stop button is in the menu you get when you swipe up from the bottom of the screen. It's the one with a little picture of an airplane on it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I don't know. I'm actually impressed they haven't gotten themselves banned.

I think it happened to the Android guys when they tried to get in the Amazon Appstore way back when. Or maybe it was this app back in the Ohio days. My memory is shot.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Diabolik900 posted:

I think it happened to the Android guys when they tried to get in the Amazon Appstore way back when. Or maybe it was this app back in the Ohio days. My memory is shot.

It was Ferg actually, giving Amazon access to his account

Ferg posted:

So this annoys me, Amazon is currently reviewing the app and while I changed my password so that they could log in I explicitly asked them not to post with the app. OHIO just PM'd me wondering what was up with my shitpost in his iOS app thread, so I'm thinking they definitely did not read that instruction. Bullshit.

Ferg posted:

I considered that, but all they posted was gibberish (literally the message was quoting a random post and said "haljdfaxzzzy"). That's bannable if I were to let them loose with a dedicated account so it becomes a $10 submission fee.

Next update I will write very detailed instructions on what message to post to this exact thread, and I'll put the username/password at the end of the testing instructions to make sure they actually read it.

Emphasis mine

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Sereri posted:

It was Ferg actually, giving Amazon access to his account

Emphasis mine

That happened with my app the first time I submitted it. I told them to post ONLY in the Project.Log thread. The first time I submitted they did. The second time they posted a random image and text in some GBS thread. It got banned eventually but it was a new account I made for it.

Now it's set up to be permanently banned, but since Windows testing is automated now no one actually uses it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

straight jerkers posted:

While images are loading in a thread the button on posts that lets you quote and copy urls and stuff doesn't work at all. There's no stop button like in a web browser so if say AT&T's great LTE service is taking five minutes to download a single image I'm kind of stuck waiting if I want to quote someone on that page. Could this be fixed?

E: the menu that shows up when you tap the arrow next to someone's name doesn't work while images are loading either.

I think this is fixed in the imminent next version. If I'm a liar, please come right back here and call me a clown.

Emron posted:

Since the forums went back up, I get this error when trying to load a forum. Bookmarks work fine.

I'll take a look!

suffering devs posted:

banned testing accounts

That's fantastic. I guess that's handy for testing how the app works when the user is banned?

I should probably test that out sometime.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Is there a way with the app to pull up archives (e.g. Going into Games and switching the year to 2001 to see all the threads from then) in the Awful app for the iPhone? I'm guessing no, so is this a feature that is planned or can even be implemented?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

Is there a way with the app to pull up archives (e.g. Going into Games and switching the year to 2001 to see all the threads from then) in the Awful app for the iPhone? I'm guessing no, so is this a feature that is planned or can even be implemented?

There is not currently a way to do it, but it is planned and I don't foresee any problem implementing it. Hardest part will probably be finding a sensible UI for it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Challenge accepted.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm basically thinking, gut reaction, if user has archives you split "Filter Posts" in half and have "Archives" on the other side. Tap it to bring up date picker. If we really want to emulate the forums we could change the navbar to the archives red, that might be ugggly though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I had basically the same initial thoughts. Red would be ugly, but there needs to be some indication that you're looking at archives, and not current threads. Even with the red coloring I've forgotten that I'm looking at archives several times already.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe we can just prefix everything in the navbar with a clock icon?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I literally thought the exact same thing. The problems I see are that it would look like a button, and that the navbar is already crowded on the iPhone.

The solution to the first problem would be to actually make it a button to go back to the live forums. The second problem is trickier, but it's also a matter of opinion and I could possibly swayed to believe it's not actually a problem.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
I just updated Awful.app to the latest version and now I can't login through the app. :(

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Magic Mango posted:

I just updated Awful.app to the latest version and now I can't login through the app. :(

I had the same problem. Deleting the app and reinstalling fixed it for me.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I think this is fixed in the imminent next version. If I'm a liar, please come right back here and call me a clown.

You're a clown!

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I had to delete/re-install to log in as well.

Anyone else not able to browse via the IP option (in 'Alternate Server') after the update? I get a 'Network Error - Could not connect to the server (error code -1004)' message now, but not before I updated.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Is there a way to revert the YOSPOS font change? It's looking pretty weird on my 5S.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Magic Mango posted:

Will take a look.

straight jerkers posted:

You're a clown!

:cb:

(I'll take a look!)

ChetReckless posted:

I had to delete/re-install to log in as well.

Anyone else not able to browse via the IP option (in 'Alternate Server') after the update? I get a 'Network Error - Could not connect to the server (error code -1004)' message now, but not before I updated.

Will take a look. I'm not sure I changed anything there, but it's possible I'm forgetting something or something changed server-side.

I'm not very convinced it's a useful setting. What were you using it for?

theadder posted:

Is there a way to revert the YOSPOS font change? It's looking pretty weird on my 5S.

Nothing short of complaining in the nearest thread. We went back and forth on it.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Apps live and I can see lots of balls now.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Nothing short of complaining in the nearest thread. We went back and forth on it.

Ok. It's more the spacing that looks odd, I think. Maybe I'll get used to it.

The update does seem to have fixed post links showing the top of the page. It still does an odd jumping thing, though. The jumping now leads it to exactly the same post so it looks like a flicker.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

theadder posted:

Ok. It's more the spacing that looks odd, I think. Maybe I'll get used to it.

The update does seem to have fixed post links showing the top of the page. It still does an odd jumping thing, though. The jumping now leads it to exactly the same post so it looks like a flicker.

There can certainly be a little padding added above and below the post content, arguably a better line height as well.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

straight jerkers posted:

You're a clown!

Just figured out what's up here, and I think it's fixed. I'll leave the choice of insult up to you if I'm a liar once more!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Dave posted:

There can certainly be a little padding added above and below the post content, arguably a better line height as well.

I meant that the letter spacing looks weird.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

pokeyman posted:

Will take a look. I'm not sure I changed anything there, but it's possible I'm forgetting something or something changed server-side.

I'm not very convinced it's a useful setting. What were you using it for?

Sometimes I use a WiFi network that blocks forums.somethingawful.com but browsing through the IP works. It's no biggie, it just saves me a little on data.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
I have a 5c, is there an app I can use with the GPS feature to show how far I've ran / walked and show the route I took on a map?

Edit: free if possible.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

itsjustdrew posted:

I have a 5c, is there an app I can use with the GPS feature to show how far I've ran / walked and show the route I took on a map?

Edit: free if possible.

That kind of functionality would be massively out of place in a forums-browsing app. You could use an existing app like Runkeeper though if you really need to do that stuff.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

theadder posted:

I meant that the letter spacing looks weird.

Hmm. Would live for you to post after a day or two and see if it still bugs you.

I think the next release has the external CSS feature where we can tweak those things outside of App Store review hell.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

withak posted:

That kind of functionality would be massively out of place in a forums-browsing app. You could use an existing app like Runkeeper though if you really need to do that stuff.

Thanks, it's the first phone I've had in like... 4 years maybe, so I want to make sure everything's set up, including all my forum browsing needs. Thanks again.

Reason for edit: Grammar correction, please ignore.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I'm getting used to the yospos font change, I think it's ok.
e: the line spacing is too tight though. I'm also not a big fan of the bright amber bar for parent forum/previous posts/scroll to end, it really doesn't look great next to the regular blue outer ui.

I note with disappointment however that the yospos loading screen is still displaying the anachronistic U+2026 ellipsis glyph rather than the correct sequence of three periods. I believe I already raised a ticket some time ago regarding this critical bug. Please escalate it, since I will have no choice but to demand a refund if this is not fixed promptly.

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 1, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Just figured out what's up here, and I think it's fixed. I'll leave the choice of insult up to you if I'm a liar once more!

Cool, thanks.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Dave posted:

Hmm. Would live for you to post after a day or two and see if it still bugs you.

I think the next release has the external CSS feature where we can tweak those things outside of App Store review hell.

OK. I'll return in a few days.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What exactly is backed up in this app? Just realized the backup is very large.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cached images probably.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If think if you log out, then back in, it will clear your Awful cache. I'm 60% sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

If think if you log out, then back in, it will clear your Awful cache. I'm 60% sure.

Not only that, the latest version fixes this bug. (And a related nasty crash was the downfall of version 2.0.9.)

• Locked thread