Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Kenning posted:

$17/kg = $8/lb bro lol.

Google apparently fails at understanding what I meant then

quote:

(US$ 17) per (kilogram to pound) =
37.4785846 US$

When I should have put in

quote:

$17 per kg to $/lb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Trust me. I just started dating an organic, all natural everything woman. It's insane.

And yes that poo poo is more expensive.

But hell those eggs are delicious. Lmao she pays $6 for a dozen.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

A Man and his dog posted:

Couldn't tell if you were trolling me here.. But then I thought about it.

I live in a small Southern city. I honestly don't think I could go anywhere and order a Burger with an egg on it but Red Robin(have one 15 mins away. Never been).

Sooo that post has me kinda sad / mysterious if I should go to a loving Red Robin?!?

I knew vegetarians that go to Red Robin just for the veggie burger. And the unlimited fries means you can always get your money's worth.

If you don't have a real cool local burger joint, seriously Red Robin is an acceptable source of burgers.

(Bleu ribbon supremacy.)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Trust me. I just started dating an organic, all natural everything woman. It's insane.

that's cool; your realdoll finally wore out I'm guessing?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Kenning posted:

$17/kg = $8/lb bro lol.

Nope lol

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

yup lol

1kg > 1lb. you imperial measurement fucks. That means that if something is $10/kg, it's going to be less than $10/lb. By a multiplier of 2.2. Math is hard.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Google apparently fails at understanding what I meant then

When I should have put in

apparently this reads backwards to google, since something that's $17/lb would be $37/kg

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Some farmers were no-poo poo murdered by drug dealers for their lime crops in 2014. A bad time.

In other news, I have lime trees now in my patio. NEVER AGAIN.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
meh

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 14, 2015

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
drat I haven't been to Red Robin since my grandma took me when I was like six, I think I need to go.

edit: rip mexican lime farmers

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I just signed up for yelp for the sole purpose of sending a message to some schmuck who gave a place a 2 star rating because he was TURNED AWAY FROM FRIENDS AND FAMILY. The place wont even be officially open until next week.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
That's why you need to be able to punch people in the dick with the internet

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

I just signed up for yelp for the sole purpose of sending a message to some schmuck who gave a place a 2 star rating because he was TURNED AWAY FROM FRIENDS AND FAMILY. The place wont even be officially open until next week.

One of our bussers ordered Jimmy Johns and I guess the delivery guy and him where friends or something so he thought we would just let him roll through our kitchen. When chef told him "I don't have time for your crap" and then closed the door on him, he decided to make an open table account and wrote how mean and unprofessional we where.

Some person complained for like 3 paragraphs about things that we do not actually have at the restaurant.

I actually love reading bad reviews about where I work, they are a trip.

"MY APPETIZER CAME OUT BEFORE MY SALAD"

"MY COFFEE/PORT/WHATEVER CAME BEFORE MY DESSERT"

"I ORDERED BONE IN 16oz FILET MW, TOOK 30 MINUTES SMH"

"OUR WAITER ASKED IF WE WANTED OUR MANHATTAN UP OR ON THE ROCKS, WHAT DO YOU THINK IDIOT?"

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

"When I realize that it was a private party I left. Mention to staff that a sign on the door would be very helpful. I got the feeling of "sure great idea mister". I am sure I am not the only one on 30th Ave who wanted to walk in and spend money on a new concept."

Boo loving hoo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Secret Spoon posted:

One of our bussers ordered Jimmy Johns and I guess the delivery guy and him where friends or something so he thought we would just let him roll through our kitchen. When chef told him "I don't have time for your crap" and then closed the door on him, he decided to make an open table account and wrote how mean and unprofessional we where.

Some person complained for like 3 paragraphs about things that we do not actually have at the restaurant.

I actually love reading bad reviews about where I work, they are a trip.

"MY APPETIZER CAME OUT BEFORE MY SALAD"

"MY COFFEE/PORT/WHATEVER CAME BEFORE MY DESSERT"

"I ORDERED BONE IN 16oz FILET MW, TOOK 30 MINUTES SMH"

"OUR WAITER ASKED IF WE WANTED OUR MANHATTAN UP OR ON THE ROCKS, WHAT DO YOU THINK IDIOT?"

My favorite negative review from one place I used to manage had only positive things to say about the food, middling things to say about the (admittedly weak at the time) service, but still left us 1 star. Why? "Parking lot wasn't well lit enough"

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Shooting Blanks posted:

My favorite negative review from one place I used to manage had only positive things to say about the food, middling things to say about the (admittedly weak at the time) service, but still left us 1 star. Why? "Parking lot wasn't well lit enough"

Well, maybe you shouldn't have opened a restaurant in the Stygian abyss :colbert:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Guest who sat in the cigar room at 10:45pm posted:

music, loud-- not a good ambiance for a romantic dinner considering the price. It was just loud altogether- could hardly have a conversation the noise level was to elevated. Will not go back.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'd post some of our more amusing reviews but goons and all that.

I will say that company policy suggests that 95% of all guests are honest, well-meaning people. I'm not sure if they tripled the original number or got the digits backwards.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 16, 2015

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Vorenus posted:

I will say that company policy suggests that 95% of all guests are honest, well-meaning people. I'm not sure if they tripled the original number or got the digits backwards.

Post them.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vorenus posted:

what

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
he doesn't want someone figuring out and posting where he works

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

You can change words to synonyms and keep the meaning intact. WE HUNGER.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
Just run them back and forth through Google Translate to gently caress with the syntax so's goons can't search for the sentences and find the Yelp page. :suicide101:

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

At a place I used to work some lady left a review on yelp calling the tomato bacon jam we made for our green tomato blt "too try-hard". What the gently caress does that even mean? Would you prefer we tried less? Like here our special tonight is a grilled cheese on bread our d-washer dumpster dived from behind a Panera, poorly melted kraft singles, and leftover fries from the burger place down the street.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao...

Just trying to hard man.

In other news none of the cooks showed up this morning at my second job! So we closed shop and took off till 4!

Owner is pissed.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I love yelp and open table. Those reviews make my day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceVPqQ2k1xA

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Lmao...

Just trying to hard man.

In other news none of the cooks showed up this morning at my second job! So we closed shop and took off till 4!

Owner is pissed.

Dude you've "lmao"'d in like your last 12 posts.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It must be hard understanding comedy

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It must be hard understanding comedy

Only lovely comedians laugh at their own jokes.

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

CommonShore posted:

Only lovely people get a bug up their rear end about someone else "lmao"-ing on a comedy forum. Just use the ignore feature if it bothers you that much, drat.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

CommonShore posted:

TheSnowySoviet posted:

Only lovely people get a bug up their rear end about someone else "lmao"-ing on a comedy forum. Just use the ignore feature if it bothers you that much, drat.

I'm going to say something controversial and suggest that both of these posts are true :shrug:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Alright, a completely different topic!

So today our bartender's mom came in about half an hour into the shift to tell her that she might have pancreatic cancer. The bartender was understandably distressed and was permitted to go for a walk with her mom for a bit, leaving me pretty much handling literally the entire front of house.

The Boss expressed to me a bit of frustration, along the lines of "why couldn't she wait until she got home" or whatever, to which I just said "this has gotta be pretty jarring, I think practical thought is probably a bit out of reach" or something like that.

I know we've got a handful of management types in here, what kind of handling would you have given that kind of situation? Obviously you can't ban staff family from coming into the restaurant, but equally obviously if we were a bigger operation doing like we did would be as close to literally shooting ourselves in the feet as we could get and still stay figurative.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Simply put: if my mom or dad came to me and said they had pancreatic cancer and I wasn't allowed to leave to talk about it, I'd quit on the spot. No questions asked. If your operation is so short staffed that you can't handle someone taking off time for an emergency like that, then you've got bigger problems.

Staff are still people and you have to respect that. Pancreatic cancer is effectively a death sentence right now, and expecting anyone to ignore that for work when they're informed is unreasonable.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Yeah, the boss is being a complete poo poo head, pancreatic cancer is basically "You are going to die, slowly and in excruciating pain, in the last weeks you will look forward to your own death." I'd know, my grandmother died of it and I got to watch her beg my father(her son) to make the doctors kill her, but they couldn't, and they could not give her enough drugs to knock her out or anything either because it would have endangered her life. Where's the loving bitter laughter smiley? :sigh:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

if we were a bigger operation doing like we did would be as close to literally shooting ourselves in the feet as we could get and still stay figurative.

No, shooting yourself in the foot would be giving employee's poo poo over for something like that. Employees are going to have family issues pop up unexpectedly. If your store can't handle given employees the time to deal with that sort of stuff then you're probably not going to be able to keep them around for long anyway.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
Do you not have a big enough industry community in the area that you can make a few calls/texts and pick up someone that is looking to work a shift wherever for cash? Has The Boss burned bridges with potential fill-ins by being a prick? Regardless of the size of your local labor pool your Boss is a prick. v:shobon:v

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Simply put: if my mom or dad came to me and said they had pancreatic cancer and I wasn't allowed to leave to talk about it, I'd quit on the spot. No questions asked. If your operation is so short staffed that you can't handle someone taking off time for an emergency like that, then you've got bigger problems.

Staff are still people and you have to respect that. Pancreatic cancer is effectively a death sentence right now, and expecting anyone to ignore that for work when they're informed is unreasonable.
This. Personal health and safety, as well as family emergencies, are vastly more important than any job or guest. Anyone that callous doesn't deserve to be operating a successful business, really.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

You handled it exactly how I would want it handled if it was me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

For what it's worth I don't actually believe the boss would have handled it differently in any situation, I think he was just somewhat frustrated. It's an old (40+) restaurant that he's basically bringing back from the brink. I also suspect she just told him "cancer scare" instead of "pancreatic cancer scare" just based on what else I've seen of how she works.

But yeah, okay, that's comforting. We -are- a small operation and by the time an "official" bartender came in she would have been back from her walk. I'm covering her waiting shift tomorrow so she can go with her mom to an MRI to find out if its actually pancreatic cancer or what. We're such a weird, niche operation I was just wondering how normal restaurants would handle this kind of thing, since it never happened while I was working at regular restaurants.

• Locked thread