Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salmiakki

rip. this is so insane i love it

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mom with a blog

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
metal gear solid v the phantom pain releases september 1st, 8 days from now

call of cthulu

by XyloJW

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ron color
that's true

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
I want arena shooters back

dogdisaster

by Lowtax

Pomp posted:

I want arena shooters back

i think they were making a f2p unreal tourney, not sure how that'll turn out..

bad likely

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
Epic has made no good games in over a decade

arnbiguous
why not just play Quake Live

"first, do no harm"
- james spock

Pro Target

yea quake live is still good despite the hosed up auto-bhopping and poo poo they added

Pro Target

not an arena shooter but ive been playing cs:go a lot lately and i think its a really good competitive game./ thanks all

arnbiguous
CSGO in casual deathmatch is pretty much a good arena shooter. It would be cool if it had plasma rifles and rocket launchers though

"first, do no harm"
- james spock

Pro Target

im full of poo poo posted:

CSGO in casual deathmatch is pretty much a good arena shooter

uhh i disagree sinmce it doesnt have

- Advanced Movement (275->300 bhopping doesnt count)
- Item control
- vertically oriented maps
- high health pools

arnbiguous
This is all true and I am wrong

"first, do no harm"
- james spock

Scaly Haylie

Pro Target posted:

uhh i disagree sinmce it doesnt have

- Advanced Movement (275->300 bhopping doesnt count)
- Item control
- vertically oriented maps
- high health pools

hi, could you break this down a little for me? i wish to expand my game design vocabulary.

Pro Target

umm, Advanced Movement is any movement system more complex than 'hold down WASD key and jump', so rocket jumping, double jumping, bunnyhopping, basically exploiting the characteristics of a games physics engine to move in unconventional ways (intentional or not)

item control is a concept from arena shooters which usually have specific spawn points for where you exert pressure on your opponent to prevent them from getting, say, health pickups or grabbing the rocket launcher and monopolizing those items for yourself

Arena shooters tended to have a lot of vertical maps and generally made a lot more use of the Z axis than modern 'realistic' shooters

also you had a lot of health in them comparatively so it woudl take a long time to kill someone (has the effect of 'smoothing' out damage so you couldnt get frags just from a lucky hit as much)

Pro Target

id love to see someone make a modern 1v1-focused arena shooter because i think theres a lot of potential for a middle gorund between team-tactical shooters and fighting games in the realm of DIgital Electronic Sports

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
What about StarCraft 2 :xd:

Pro Target

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqkJ9jOmCy4 good poo poo

railroad terror

choo choo
I put the N64 in the living room the other day, and have been playing the following VGs:

Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey

Mario Party (original)

Super Smash Bros (original)

Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer

tao of lmao

iirc gretzky hockey has the glow puck that was on fox sports for a hot minute

railroad terror

choo choo

tao of lmao posted:

iirc gretzky hockey has the glow puck that was on fox sports for a hot minute

You remember correctly. They should bring it back! FoxTrax Glowing Puck

Sordas Volantyr

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Pro Target posted:

id love to see someone make a modern 1v1-focused arena shooter because i think theres a lot of potential for a middle gorund between team-tactical shooters and fighting games in the realm of DIgital Electronic Sports

http://store.steampowered.com/app/338170/

meant for multiple people, but works just fine 1v1.

(also, i hope you liked the railgun, because that is the only weapon)

Pro Target

instagib degenerates arena gameplay

yoober

instagib is a fun way to kill 20 minutes but nothing more. 3v3/4v4 clan arena is more fun in pretty much every game. also instead of instagib maybe you could play 3v3 ctf4 because it is the greatest

Pro Target

or uhh... just play 1v1 like god intended

nignog.wav

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just got 30 kills with shadow fiend mmmmm

----------------

joke_explainer

Pro Target posted:

umm, Advanced Movement is any movement system more complex than 'hold down WASD key and jump', so rocket jumping, double jumping, bunnyhopping, basically exploiting the characteristics of a games physics engine to move in unconventional ways (intentional or not)

item control is a concept from arena shooters which usually have specific spawn points for where you exert pressure on your opponent to prevent them from getting, say, health pickups or grabbing the rocket launcher and monopolizing those items for yourself

Arena shooters tended to have a lot of vertical maps and generally made a lot more use of the Z axis than modern 'realistic' shooters

also you had a lot of health in them comparatively so it woudl take a long time to kill someone (has the effect of 'smoothing' out damage so you couldnt get frags just from a lucky hit as much)

i remember a small group of friends as a kid playing the quake 1 intro map and how important item control was, and everyone learning little patterns to run trying to deny the best items and how the metagame extended from there as you could exploit how predictable they'd each be after a while (though we'd try to switch it up for that same reason). surprisingly fun gameplay for a map that was not intended to be any sort of arena (its just the like, stage select map you start out with in quake 1) but we played the poo poo out of that.

i miss tribes and tribes 2 as well, those were great games.

Pro Target

Tribes 1 was such a weird and good game, thjeres really nothing like it. I remember reading about it in PC Gamer Magazine and wanting to play it so badly and then getting to and having it live up to all the hype. As far as skill ceiling in shooters its probably the absolute pinnacle as well

Pro Target

The best advanced movement, almost every weapon a projectile instead of hitscan, just a really perfect game

joke_explainer

incredibly satisfying nailing a spinfusor shot when all parties are ridiculously fast ballistic projectiles

tao of lmao

high level tribes play is a thing of beauty

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
I MISS TRIBES SO MUCH

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
tribes ascend could at least scratch the itch even if it was never as good as Tribes 2 but the loving dev is poo poo and didn't support it for fuckall and then abandoned it for another god drat moba

----------------

Pro Target

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6uiyP_PxJk

Sordas Volantyr

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

those dramatic sound effects are the best

also, do the maps wrap around or something?

Pro Target

Sordas Volantyr posted:

those dramatic sound effects are the best

also, do the maps wrap around or something?

nah they dont, vanilla tribes would kill you if you went out of bounds, they do plays far into the outskirts of the map to build up enough speed for good flag grabs tho

Pro Target

i really wish tribes had caught on competitively like quake 3 so we could see what a fully evolved meta looked like... theres a ton of sloppy play in all the comp matches i can find recorded

tao of lmao

shazbot!

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

tribes was my favorite game. battlefield was decent but they killed its large multiplayer battle frenzy too :/

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

i got sick of lobby shooters playing ut2000 idk why you guys keep buying new ones