Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Consummate Professional posted:

why oh why do the brains that fix your brain break your dick?

wait, is that what I've been doing wrong? I haven't been consuming other brains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
yeah, my doc put me on a strict cannibalism diet which is mostly great otherwise. it's a process, I guess.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

yeah, my doc put me on a strict cannibalism diet which is mostly great otherwise. it's a process, I guess.

just wait until you go into ketosis and turn into a wendigo, the pounds will melt right off!

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Had a great job interview last week. Did not get the job. Holy Moses that's frustrating when you really think it'll be a good one. It's been five months of no work now, so hoo-loving-ray. Sorry to vent here, but y'know, mental health thread and I'm broke brained.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

bobtheconqueror posted:

Had a great job interview last week. Did not get the job. Holy Moses that's frustrating when you really think it'll be a good one. It's been five months of no work now, so hoo-loving-ray. Sorry to vent here, but y'know, mental health thread and I'm broke brained.

Exact same situation. I can't even get a cheap job selling weed despite years of experience in high-security lockups and stock work, a security clearance, police checks, it's ridiculous. I can build highly regulated SATCOM equipment, but there's clearly no way I can learn to do whatever dumbass poo poo the places I apply do. My most promising lead this entire time has been a temp position through the province's job creation program that pays you the same way EI or welfare do.

Throw in needing French for some minimum or near-minimum positions and it's probably time to burn down parliament again.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Solidarity in the job hunt, fellow unemployed :smith:

I have kind of a feel good personal story though. One of my big weaknesses is I suck at talking to people. So I'm gonna try to tackle this head-on; I signed up to volunteer for the census. I was a bit worried about turning in the application. The work would drag me way out of my comfort zone. But it's the right thing to do and hopefully I at least end up with something nice on my resume :unsmith:

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

And out of nowhere I get two requests for interviews on the same day. Nothing amazing, retail back shop, but poo poo pay beats welfare. Hang in it!

Volunteering would be a major help on a resume. Anything to show current activity, makes you look good in the community, extra skills... it ain't bad.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

cool dance moves posted:

I have kind of a feel good personal story though. One of my big weaknesses is I suck at talking to people. So I'm gonna try to tackle this head-on; I signed up to volunteer for the census. I was a bit worried about turning in the application. The work would drag me way out of my comfort zone. But it's the right thing to do and hopefully I at least end up with something nice on my resume :unsmith:

Census work in my neighborhood pays $17.37/hr plus mileage. Go get em!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

cool dance moves posted:

Hell yeah! This is... probably not the best analogy around these parts, but in 2012—even with my massive social anxiety, especially about politics—I volunteered for the Obama campaign as a door knocker (:sigh:). You have to push through the first two or three, but after that, you generally go into autopilot.

People are more friendly than you'd suspect, especially if it's something inoffensive like the census. If you get any absolute loons, you can always post it here so we can all lmao :shobon:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

This is... probably not the best analogy around these parts, but in 2012—even with my massive social anxiety, especially about politics—I volunteered for the Obama campaign as a door knocker (:sigh:)

I don't know if this shame is facetious or not.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I don't know if this shame is facetious or not.

I mean it's better than ending up with McCain but with the way he's acted since he left office yeah, I'm kind of ashamed to have been associated with his campaign in any way

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

I mean it's better than ending up with McCain but with the way he's acted since he left office yeah, I'm kind of ashamed to have been associated with his campaign in any way
Taking positive steps towards being active politically and volunteering for good causes is never something to be ashamed of.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Chokes McGee posted:

with the way he's acted since he left office yeah, I'm kind of ashamed to have been associated with his campaign in any way

That complete 180 seems kind of extreme, and I couldn't find any reference to what you're talking about by googling. Is it possible to explain briefly without starting a debate and/or derailing the thread?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I registered on SA to talk about Obama in LF and I'm not even American. :2008:

Had been lurking for about five years.

Now I want to guillotine everyone of course

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

That complete 180 seems kind of extreme, and I couldn't find any reference to what you're talking about by googling. Is it possible to explain briefly without starting a debate and/or derailing the thread?

hes been hinting hell come out and say something negative about sanders soon, there was an interview a day or two ago that basically amounted to that

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

hes been hinting hell come out and say something negative about sanders soon, there was an interview a day or two ago that basically amounted to that
He hasn't, though That story was bullshit from *checks notes* Fox News Business, and was immediately shot down by everyone else. I suspect Chokes is referring more to the fact that Obama has retired to billionaire island and has only come out two or three times to say "Trump bad, whatever happened to decorum" and then gone away again.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

about which no one should care really. bernie would not be on the map today if the grassroots support network that sprung up around obama hadn't evolved into a force of politically active people willing to put in the work for the best shot at real progress.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Unsinkabear posted:

without derailing too hard—because this is still a politics forum—he hosed off immediately the instant Trump won, said absolutely nothing about the election, and then hid on billionaire island until like six months after Trump was elected. Then, after all that, his first appearance is in front of a bunch of bankers and immediately started cracking jokes about Trump's election. He had a fundamental obligation as a statesman of that level to speak out, and he held his tongue either due to ~decorum~ (which is no excuse) or he just plain doesn't care.

like I get my opinion doesn't define reality and at one point and time I was a loving Hillary stan but a lot has changed since 2016 and opened all our eyes.

anyhoo I'm fine with discussion just so long as it doesn't turn ugly. if people start getting really worked up then I'll politely ask for it to stop (then start handing out sixers if you don't :mad:)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

about which no one should care really. bernie would not be on the map today if the grassroots support network that sprung up around obama hadn't evolved into a force of politically active people willing to put in the work for the best shot at real progress.

this is fair

e: I guess I should specify that I'm not ashamed of getting involved so much as what kind of leader he turned out to be. I dunno if that makes any sense or contradicts what I said earlier?? I mean I'm dumb as hell so

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Obama's legacy has largely fallen apart in very short order. He's still quite respected on a social level by the general public, but policies like Obamacare aee largely regarded as having not gone far enough and a lot of people got basically nothing from it besides another bill they can't afford. You could argue that Bernie couldn't have happened in the absence of Obama but it's too hard to tease all that apart.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
In non-political news I start a new job on Monday. it's with a startup and I'm loving terrified since the last time I worked at an austin startup... well, you know

it wasn't good

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
good luck! I just applied for a promotion after 2 and a half years in my position. I am trying to defy my brain and go in positively

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

good luck! I just applied for a promotion after 2 and a half years in my position. I am trying to defy my brain and go in positively

yeah I'm trying to both not be terrified and not come in with a chip on my shoulder

I guess we'll see how it'll go :)

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Hey team had a question for you guys just out of curiosity:

What kinds of therapy/treatment have you tried and what kind of success did you see with them and what did that success look like and was the success lasting? Probly going to get a lot of CBT itt so I'm curious about that but also other types of therapy people might have tried like humanistic, existential, psychodynamic, jungian, etc etc.

If ur not cool with this chokes no prob lemme know and I'll remove this

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thehandtruck posted:

Hey team had a question for you guys just out of curiosity:

What kinds of therapy/treatment have you tried and what kind of success did you see with them and what did that success look like and was the success lasting? Probly going to get a lot of CBT itt so I'm curious about that but also other types of therapy people might have tried like humanistic, existential, psychodynamic, jungian, etc etc.

If ur not cool with this chokes no prob lemme know and I'll remove this

nope youre good, med dosages/recommendations is the no-no

Personally, talk therapy and group therapy are the big ones for meespecially group. Ive tried CBT, but it never seems to stick. I need to do a DBT course, because Im rapidly learning a lot of my problems stem from maladaptive habits that kept me safe(ish) as a kid but are now impacting my daily functioning.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

I need to do a DBT course, because Im rapidly learning a lot of my problems stem from maladaptive habits that kept me safe(ish) as a kid but are now impacting my daily functioning.

Is this a bipolar thing, a general mental health thing, or just a coincidence? Because YES.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Unsinkabear posted:

Is this a bipolar thing, a general mental health thing, or just a coincidence? Because YES.

little of column a, little of column b. turns out its hard to keep a healthy schedule when your brain shits itself and goes completely ham in a regular basis

dbt was specifically made for bpd but it also works wonders for bipolar. its VERY IMPORTANT people with bipolar regulate like literally everything we do because one wrong move and buckle up buddy lol

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
we have a really good dbt intro in the second op btw so you might want to check that out!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

There's more and more evidence for DBT for a number of conditions. It's one of the methodologies I use most with myself. :)

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I'm still trying to figure out why it took a four month wait with the hospital for a call to tell me the DBT program I was on a waiting list for didn't exist

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Chunderbucket posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why it took a four month wait with the hospital for a call to tell me the DBT program I was on a waiting list for didn't exist

That sucks, but probably a matter of no one person being the authority on what doesn't exist, getting tossed back and forth a bit.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chunderbucket posted:

psychiatric sections of a hospital are chronically understaffed and overworked, especially in-patient services. it sucks because it leads to burnout which makes it incredibly difficult for people to care who need to the most :smith:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

little of column a, little of column b. turns out it’s hard to keep a healthy schedule when your brain shits itself and goes completely ham in a regular basis

dbt was specifically made for bpd but it also works wonders for bipolar. it’s VERY IMPORTANT people with bipolar regulate like literally everything we do because one wrong move and buckle up buddy lol

Hahahaha guess what ADHD people are particularly bad at. This combination is fantastic. :cripes::cry:

But that's still good to know and it's something I hadn't heard before, so thanks. Deeeeefinitely tracks with my experience.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I quit my job last month right before Christmas in a foolishly impulsive act. I should be scared sick, but honestly, I've just been content and happy every day. I'm fortunate enough to have enough money saved up to sustain myself for awhile, and my state has a really good Medicaid program. Every day, I've been working on projects that I want to work on. I'm finding programming and software development fulfilling again. I'm getting back into fiction writing again in my spare time, and thinking about maybe self-publishing some of my less terrible work. I'm doing better, more clear-headed work every day than I ever did when I had a "real" job. I don't know how long I can make this last, but man, if I can find a way to make a comfortable living working from home like this, I will be so happy.

Corporate 8-5 work is god damned draining and soul-crushing. Nobody should have to do it to live a dignified life.

Again, what I did was reckless and stupid. It might turn out poorly. I don't recommend it. I just wanted to talk about it.

I hope everyone's doing okay today. :love:

mekyabetsu has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Jan 26, 2020

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So after 6 online evaluations and an phone interview, I'm finally getting a real in-person interview for this job. I really think I have great chances, but I'm still really scared about having to do a drug test.

They said they still test for weed even though it's legal here now. If I can go through this whole process, be liked by everyone I've talked to, and proven that I can do this job, and still be turned away because of (legal!) weed, I'm going to be crushed. I'm at the end of my rope. I cannot mentally or financially afford another missed opportunity.

I don't drink, but of course that never comes up or matters. Smoking weed 2 weeks ago definitely means I'm a degenerate even though I aced every test they threw at me.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
a job with 6 interviews, jfc are they trusting you with nuke codes? thats insane

i wouldnt want to work for a company that does that

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

mekyabetsu posted:

I quit my job last month right before Christmas in a foolishly impulsive act. I should be scared sick, but honestly, I've just been content and happy every day. I'm fortunate enough to have enough money saved up to sustain myself for awhile, and my state has a really good Medicaid program. Every day, I've been working on projects that I want to work on. I'm finding programming and software development fulfilling again. I'm getting back into fiction writing again in my spare time, and thinking about maybe self-publishing some of my less terrible work. I'm doing better, more clear-headed work every day than I ever did when I had a "real" job. I don't know how long I can make this last, but man, if I can find a way to make a comfortable living working from home like this, I will be so happy.

Corporate 8-5 work is god damned draining and soul-crushing. Nobody should have to do it to live a dignified life.

Again, what I did was reckless and stupid. It might turn out poorly. I don't recommend it. I just wanted to talk about it.

I hope everyone's doing okay today. :love:

i was unemployed for ages after grad school and this was the great conundrum. I spent days doing fun and interesting things that mattered to me but everyone was always bearing down on me for my uselessness and dependence. now that I have an 8-5 job Im basically a brain dead husk but Im finally on the right track, in quotes which arent displaying for some reason

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

got any sevens posted:

a job with 6 interviews, jfc are they trusting you with nuke codes? thats insane

i wouldnt want to work for a company that does that

Nah, it was 6 online tests, just like, data entry tests, a test on what business terms mean, a test to see if I knew how to use Word or Excel, etc.

It was a pain in the rear end and mostly unnecessary (especially because it's a loving temp accounting job at a baked goods company) but I at least did very well on them. This interview coming up will be my second with them, but like I said I'm more worried about the drug test, and also incensed because it's legal here now so who loving cares.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Nah, it was 6 online tests, just like, data entry tests, a test on what business terms mean, a test to see if I knew how to use Word or Excel, etc.

It was a pain in the rear end and mostly unnecessary (especially because it's a loving temp accounting job at a baked goods company) but I at least did very well on them. This interview coming up will be my second with them, but like I said I'm more worried about the drug test, and also incensed because it's legal here now so who loving cares.

chug water like a motherfucker a few days out, then take some B-12 the night before.

I dunno anything about :420: but I've been told that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

So after 6 online evaluations and an phone interview, I'm finally getting a real in-person interview for this job. I really think I have great chances, but I'm still really scared about having to do a drug test.

They said they still test for weed even though it's legal here now. If I can go through this whole process, be liked by everyone I've talked to, and proven that I can do this job, and still be turned away because of (legal!) weed, I'm going to be crushed. I'm at the end of my rope. I cannot mentally or financially afford another missed opportunity.

I don't drink, but of course that never comes up or matters. Smoking weed 2 weeks ago definitely means I'm a degenerate even though I aced every test they threw at me.

Pay fifty bucks for fake piss and do not sit there stressing about an easily solved problem.