Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah Hope's derangement really adds to her character, there's no fish malk monkey cheese going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

IAmThatIs posted:

:captainpop:

What's this from?

Coteries of new york, the game we're talking about, keep up

https://www.gog.com/game/vampire_the_masquerade_coteries_of_new_york

Literally that whole page of this thread was talking about this game, its price, its features, etc.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah Hope's derangement really adds to her character, there's no fish malk monkey cheese going on.

Is she meant to be a conspiracy theorist? Because the US doing a coup and making a bunch of fake Twitter bots to try and pull a veneer over it isn't a conspiracy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

wiegieman posted:

Is she meant to be a conspiracy theorist? Because the US doing a coup and making a bunch of fake Twitter bots to try and pull a veneer over it isn't a conspiracy.

No, Cara's thing is more about weaponizing the internet for the Elders (which is a bigger deal in V5 with the spook agencies tracking vampire stuff online), essentially wanting to have a way of creating so much chaff the Second Inquisition can't pick out the real stuff. She needs Hope's help for Reasons.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

wiegieman posted:

That's not Hope, although it is a character involved in Hope's storyline. I'll spoil Hope's derangement a bit here for anyone who isn't planning on getting this or doesn't care:

She is Extremely Online in a way only a Malkavian could be. She has hundreds of different online personas, all believable, they are literally split personalities, to the point where she sometimes streams to an audience of many of her selves, some of whom hate her. She is influential in many actual online communities too with real people, and is buttcoin rich. That's why she's useful to vamps who want to run lots of Twitter bots and stuff. Most vampires have no idea what the gently caress the internet is, of course.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 12, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's not an RPG, right? No choices, just a visual novel?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's not an RPG, right? No choices, just a visual novel?

Its interactive fiction, like a choose your own adventure book. You get to choose where you go and who you talk to and what you say.

I don't know if there's any stats or inventory at all, so its super light CYOA stuff, but its more than just a book or comic.

E: Your choice of clan does give you disciplines which I guess give you new dialogue options?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 12, 2019

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I've never played a visual novel before so I don't know how it compares. There are choices quite often, some seemingly drastic, but I'm not sure how much the branches change until I replay it. There isn't a real RPG system, you have a blood meter via the edges of your screen, and you get to use powers as dialogue options, but it never shows you any numbers.

e: Yeah you get powers based on clan but Brujah, Ventrue, Toreador being the options means there's a bit of overlap there.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 12, 2019

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Game was quite boring and bad even for a visual novel standard. You really can't do anything and most of the choices railroad you towards a couple of the same endings.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I don’t know if my game is just bugged or what but it’s giving me access to Disciplines I probably shouldn’t have. I get the standard Brujah 3 but also Auspex and Dominate.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like oWoD.

But I looove nWoD.

Same. The big thing i think people dont take away from nwod and the "hollowness" criticism is for how *intentionally vague a lot of lore is.
In reality i think that was allowed for more creative freedom for the players.
Now it's literally rip whatever you want and put it in your game because it's your universe do what you want.
I kindve like vampires not being tied to a christian origin and instead are just another scary unexplainable mystery.

Man I cant believe after 15 years this games really happening.
Gangrel ftw better not be a dlc clan.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Wow the ending to Coteries of New York is really rushed, feels like a lot of story is missing.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's basically my feel of it. The nWoD in general really has that Prince of Darkness/The Thing flair where there's a ton of horrible things out there and none of it will ever make sense. And Vampires really aren't immune to it.

If you cna find a copy of the Requiem novel(s) by Greg Stolze you'll get a pretty good idea of Requiem specifically. A Hunger like Fire follows a father transformed into a vampire and finding himself stuck in the nasty world fo Requiem Chicago, and it's pretty drat good. I read it years ago though, I might be wrong. The Clanbooks are also pretty drat great.

Another top-notch book for giving you a feel of the nWoD is The Horror Recognition Guide. It's the in-character writings of a group of Hunters and their encounters with the supernatural, before they mysteriously vanished. Some of the things in there can be identified from the various nWoD games, but not all of them.

Thanks for the recommendations, but something occurred to me: I just rewatched Big Trouble In Little China the other day, and given Fuzz's defense of it, I think the gameline I need to familiarize myself with is Kindred of the East. :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vavrek posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, but something occurred to me: I just rewatched Big Trouble In Little China the other day, and given Fuzz's defense of it, I think the gameline I need to familiarize myself with is Kindred of the East. :v:

Both KotE and Wraith: Dark Kingdom of Jade quote Big Trouble in Little China a lot.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

MonsieurChoc posted:

Both KotE and Wraith: Dark Kingdom of Jade quote Big Trouble in Little China a lot.

Which makes sense, because out of all the oWoD games those two are the most closely linked since they can actually be played together in a mixed campaign. Ten Thousand Hells specifically is all about running crazy adventures in the Shadowlands and jumping from crazy hell to crazy hell fighting ghosts and demons and poo poo.

It's way out there and is part of why KotE honestly doesn't have that much to do with VtM, really.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Is there a merit for playing as a Chinese girl with green eyes, though?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The sense I got from Bloodlines 1 is that kindred don't really know about Kuei-jin at all, besides "sort of like them but more freaky demon poo poo." How do the Kuei-jin think of kindred? Do they know that most of them are just lesser copies of these terrifying blood gods?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Vavrek posted:

Is there a merit for playing as a Chinese girl with green eyes, though?

Pretty sure that’s a flaw.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

wiegieman posted:

The sense I got from Bloodlines 1 is that kindred don't really know about Kuei-jin at all, besides "sort of like them but more freaky demon poo poo." How do the Kuei-jin think of kindred? Do they know that most of them are just lesser copies of these terrifying blood gods?

If I remember rightly, they look down on them as disgusting savages who foul all they touch, and think they should all be wiped out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

:hmmyes:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

wiegieman posted:

Very little. Part of it is admittedly wrapped up in the ham-handed and kinda racist writing they got, which is a lot of "Ew, the WEST" with a side of "Oh you came from a homicidal farmer how cute." Kuei-jin aren't made like Kindred, so a Cathayans can use that to think they're special since anybody can be a dumb ol' western vampire but to be a Kuei-Jin you need to be chosen (admittedly you're chosen because you were awful in life some way). In their legendary, one of the Antediluvians (Saulot) tried to learn from them but they claim he was both A) bad at it and B) just trying to sneak their secrets so they sent him packing. I don't think they pay the Third Generation much mind.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Has anyone one here watched the World of Darkness documentary? I watched it a couple of months back (around Halloween :spooky:). I thought was pretty good, though I was disappointed it didn't delve more into the behind-the-scenes of the development/writing of the games, and focused more on the rise-and-fall of White Wolf. I was also a little miffed that the Vampire MMO got more a focus then Bloodlines.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

wiegieman posted:

Wildly masturbate while screaming "gently caress. GAIJIN!" at the top of your lungs for a few decades.

This is your response to literally everything. Kuei-jin don't have a society, they have a cliche stretched over a dozen books.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

Wildly masturbate while screaming "gently caress. GAIJIN!" at the top of your lungs for a few decades.

This is your response to literally everything. Kuei-jin don't have a society, they have a cliche stretched over a dozen books.

EXCUSE ME Kuei Jin are Chinese so they should be screaming about either loving GWEILO or gently caress, LAOWAI.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
gently caress Gweijin

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Very little. Part of it is admittedly wrapped up in the ham-handed and kinda racist writing they got, which is a lot of "Ew, the WEST" with a side of "Oh you came from a homicidal farmer how cute." Kuei-jin aren't made like Kindred, so a Cathayans can use that to think they're special since anybody can be a dumb ol' western vampire but to be a Kuei-Jin you need to be chosen (admittedly you're chosen because you were awful in life some way). In their legendary, one of the Antediluvians (Saulot) tried to learn from them but they claim he was both A) bad at it and B) just trying to sneak their secrets so they sent him packing. I don't think they pay the Third Generation much mind.

You don't necessarily have to have been awful in life, even. In some cases you come back because your parent or even SO/spouse was a piece of poo poo, or because you happened to be born on a certain sign and therefore it was decided that if you died for X possible reasons at Y and Z possible times in your life, you would be forced to come back. It's also unclear about whether what comes back is actually "you" vs some horrible demonic entity vs a Wraith that has succumbed to losing its identity and it just takes up yours via the memories left in your dead brain vs it's actually you, but now you're cursed with aforementioned Wraith/demonic spirit which drives you to struggle with not being a horrid piece of poo poo.

A lot of the Dharmas specifically touch upon these concepts and differ over what, exactly, the Wan Kuei are. Dharmas are like clan but exceptionally vague and there's no set array of powers each one must have or anything, it's a lot more like nWoD in that they mostly share certain outlooks or characteristics, but no two members of the same Dharma need to be the same, power wise. nWoD fans will probably get butthurt to hear it, but it actually borrowed a lot of the underlying gameplay and mechanic ideals from KotE, especially Hunter the Vigil, which straight up takes entire chunks of Demon Hunter X (another great loving book) and translates them over to nWoD.

If anyone is interested in reading up KotE, I'd say the mandatory books are:

Kindred of the East
Kindred of the East Companion
Demon Hunter X (splat for special Hunter type stuff, not technically part of "KotE" persay, but it almost wholly deals with Hunters in Asia)

The ones that aren't mandatory but are great to read:

The 1000 Hells (fun as gently caress book about the Yomi spirit world and the many Yama Kings who rule it)
Blood and Silk (if you wanna do something pre-1800s)
The Dharma Books (clanbooks a la VtR)
The Shadow War (just flavor type poo poo with campaign ideas, most of which are straight up ripped from movies and pulp fiction)
Heresies of the Way (Extra book that outlines the "evil/crazy" Dharmas, some of which are just loving cartoonishly bad and out there a la Baali and such)

Books to avoid:

Killing Streets (arguable, it has some decent setting stuff in there but a lot of it just straight up "white guy reading a travel guide and having watched WAY too many HK action flicks and now making up pseudo-racist poo poo in it)
Half-Damned: Dhampyr (undead monsters having freaky babies is weird, also way too much about weird hosed up births and demon sex, wtf... SUPER rapey)
Sunset Empires (also arguable, has some cool info but generally has a very white imperialist take on the many kingdoms and nations of the east, and insultingly just lumps huge regions into one chapter and paints all the people living there with one brush)
San Francisco by Night (just comically racist and bad)

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 16, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Don Gato posted:

EXCUSE ME Kuei Jin are Chinese so they should be screaming about either loving GWEILO or gently caress, LAOWAI.

It's all western barbarians to me, and to every third word in a KotE book.

e: I remember Half-Damned being more "John Woo: The Splat" rather than being super-rapey, but then again I actively try to forget most of KotE [I fail, miserably, and curse my brain for holding on to the stupidest poo poo].

Mulva fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 16, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fuzz posted:

Demon Hunter X (splat for special Hunter type stuff, not technically part of "KotE" persay, but it almost wholly deals with Hunters in Asia)

quote:

Borrowed from Latin per sē (“by itself”), from per (“by, through”) and sē (“itself, himself, herself, themselves”).
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/per_se
https://kris-spisak.com/writing-tip-per-se-vs-per-say/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Don Gato posted:

One of the dumber things about the word Kuei-Jin itself is it's a Chinese word and a Japanese word slammed together to show, uh, Asian unity, I guess.

And if you think to yourself, huh, I wonder if they mostly talk about China and Japan as 'Asia' then circle gets the square. (As Fuzz says, Sunset Empires is no bueno.)

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

e: Yeah you get powers based on clan but Brujah, Ventrue, Toreador being the options means there's a bit of overlap there.

I’m gonna pick the one with Presence, that seems like it would be a useful ability in a dialogue heavy game.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I wish they would retcon everything Kuei-jin and replace it with Shinto/Buddhist mythologies. Then do a fish out of water story where some WoD vampires end up in Japan and have to deal with unfamiliar and supernatural elements.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Speaking of which, does Requiem reference "Asian vampires" in any particular way? I mostly know that the game has a few million bloodlines of like five vampires each.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

YaketySass posted:

Speaking of which, does Requiem reference "Asian vampires" in any particular way? I mostly know that the game has a few million bloodlines of like five vampires each.

It's just the same poo poo as everywhere else. Maybe a few unique Covenants, but not much specific.

Please feel free to forward this to the makers of Swype, since they programmed in "persay" as a word.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Max Wilco posted:

Has anyone one here watched the World of Darkness documentary? I watched it a couple of months back (around Halloween :spooky:). I thought was pretty good, though I was disappointed it didn't delve more into the behind-the-scenes of the development/writing of the games, and focused more on the rise-and-fall of White Wolf. I was also a little miffed that the Vampire MMO got more a focus then Bloodlines.

The main reaction I've heard about it was "wow, this was made someone who absolutely hated the New World of Darkness and was determined to talk about how much it sucked as much as possible."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tetrabor posted:

I wish they would retcon everything Kuei-jin and replace it with Shinto/Buddhist mythologies. Then do a fish out of water story where some WoD vampires end up in Japan and have to deal with unfamiliar and supernatural elements.

The reason Onyx Path decided not to do a KTOE 20th Anniversary edition was there would just be too much to do. There's just not much salvageable and you'd have to a) do a lot of ground-up re-working and b) find good writers would could be sensitive at the very least. I don't blame them for taking a pass.

Rand Brittain posted:

The main reaction I've heard about it was "wow, this was made someone who absolutely hated the New World of Darkness and was determined to talk about how much it sucked as much as possible."

Given how much Martin talked up wanting to bring some of the worst things back from a certain period (like, wanting to do another Gypsies book) because edgy it's not really surprising.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I'm more surprised that there was / will be no Hunter 20.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm not, HtR was terrible and just not a good game. HtV is better on every single level imaginable. Apparently they just needed Supernatural and a couple decent Hollywood movies to give them actually good inspiration on how to make a Hunter game good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I'm not, HtR was terrible and just not a good game. HtV is better on every single level imaginable. Apparently they just needed Supernatural and a couple decent Hollywood movies to give them actually good inspiration on how to make a Hunter game good.

Hunter is different from Bach and the Society of Leopold stuff, right?

Seems kinda counterintuitive that the hunters in VTM aren't the same kinda thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hunter the Reckoning, as flawed as the basic idea might be, is actually a pretty good game. The writing on the core and the creedbooks and the Storyteller's Handbook is top-notch. The other books... it varies. Walking Dead is good.

It really suffers from the old "Read for the plot beats/soap opera parts" thing oWoD had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I do remember it was pretty down on nWoD, but I'm under the assumption that nWoD wasn't really that popular.