Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

FRINGE posted:

I havent tried this for a long while. Have they done anything interesting/ added new stuff, or are the devs still just removing features and trying to make sure people "have fun the right way"?

I don't think anyone on the development team has had the perspective of making players have fun the right way / stop having fun the wrong way. Certainly there have been content removals, though for reasons other than stopping players from having fun the wrong way. I'm not a fan of all of the changes but the balance of removed / added content is firmly in favor of added content, and the game is still improving overall.

If you want to go full grumpy grognard though, there are older versions of Crawl available still on most servers too! So if you want your features like item destruction, contaminated chunks, and separate item slots for snozzcumbers back, more power to you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Hey, looking at that (well-deserved) roast of the old wiki guide, and remembering that .18 is in feature freeze, I have an idea.

What if a bunch of us get together to do fresh guides for .18? Both standard race/class guides as well as LPs, general purpose tips, etc. I think it would help adoption out a lot if .18 could also release with a massive new player guide that would be easy to link to and share.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

hito posted:

Hey, looking at that (well-deserved) roast of the old wiki guide, and remembering that .18 is in feature freeze, I have an idea.

What if a bunch of us get together to do fresh guides for .18? Both standard race/class guides as well as LPs, general purpose tips, etc. I think it would help adoption out a lot if .18 could also release with a massive new player guide that would be easy to link to and share.

I'd be interested in that idea. I watched your DsHu LP ways back when as a newbie and learned a lot from it. I don't know who runs the wiki at all, but clearing out some of the bad advice and putting a clear source of simple good tips in its place would be good, as it's both far more accessible than learndb to newcomers, and a lot more detailed.

Edit: reading further, this 'guide' claims that Hydras and Swamp Dragons are the biggest threats in Swamp (says nothing about Thorn Hunters / Mangroves), warns about Kirke in Shoals but not Ilsuiw, doesn't think Naga Sharpshooters or Guardian Serpents are worth mentioning in Snake, and that Ghost Moths are the real terrors of Spider.

Also, Mara is dangerous, you shouldn't fight him unless you have Shatter. As a Gargoyle. Against the demon that summons your copy to fight you. :shepicide:

Double Edit: I mean, I'm told that flight cuts your damage from Shatter to a third AND removes the double damage from statue form / being a gargoyle, but no way in gently caress I'm fighting a monster with those spells saying 'gee, I sure hope this doesn't do six times as much damage as I am told it will,'

Dee Ehm fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 25, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Be fair, that one part is totally fine advice. Mara is not scary to fight when you can shatter him. He can't fly and he can't avoid it with illusion/blink shennagins, and monster shatter is the least threatening high level spell by far. In the list of best ways to kill Mara shatter is probably a close third behind 'start next to him while holding an antimagic weapon' and 'stab him before he wakes up'.

It's less silly than suggesting Dithmenos as an alternative god for your blaster mage.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Darox posted:

Be fair, that one part is totally fine advice. Mara is not scary to fight when you can shatter him. He can't fly and he can't avoid it with illusion/blink shennagins, and monster shatter is the least threatening high level spell by far. In the list of best ways to kill Mara shatter is probably a close third behind 'start next to him while holding an antimagic weapon' and 'stab him before he wakes up'.

It's less silly than suggesting Dithmenos as an alternative god for your blaster mage.

True, being able to hit all of the Mara at once is a huge boon, I just get jittery at the idea of double damage from any source, much less with Mara around.

Dith is certainly an acceptable god for a mage that isn't Fire Elementalist though, especially if you get to Temple and don't find your first choices, like where I mentioned her as an alternative.

I don't pretend to be the big expert though! I definitely still have plenty to learn.

Edit: for a new player though the best Mara advice is don't. Also for experienced players.

Dee Ehm fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 25, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Dithmenos makes you immune to umbra accuracy penalties as soon as you start producing one. :eng101:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Dithmenos gives you a slight ev bonus, and stealth. Sometimes your stone arrow does a little more damage. Everything else doesn't help. Spell shadow mimics are pretty lousy unless you are getting shadow bolt or dispel undead. Dith isn't going to help your LRD and the only earth bolt is part fire.

In return you give up an amazing (and common) early game spell in conjure flame, can't branch into a strong element and most importantly you don't get a better god, one that will actually help you in your game plan. Don't pick Dithmenos as a blaster. It's a terrible idea. Instead of settling for a bad choice you should almost always just keep on until you get your good choice, and even if you are super impatient you can do a lot better than Dith.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Dee Ehm posted:

True, being able to hit all of the Mara at once is a huge boon, I just get jittery at the idea of double damage from any source, much less with Mara around.

Dith is certainly an acceptable god for a mage that isn't Fire Elementalist though, especially if you get to Temple and don't find your first choices, like where I mentioned her as an alternative.

I don't pretend to be the big expert though! I definitely still have plenty to learn.

Edit: for a new player though the best Mara advice is don't. Also for experienced players.

Why would you choose dith over ashenzeri for a blaster as an alt choice though? Like I cannot think of anything dith offers a blaster that Ash doesn't horrifically trump at a much earlier time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've always thought people who actually know what the heck's up should redo wiki stuff and make it worthwhile, but it'd be a lot of work and also on top of that a lot of it would come down to "no matter what you're playing, be careful, train offense before defense"

Like newbies like those guides because they're so specific, but in reality you don't need to be anywhere near that specific and being flexible based on what you find is a much better idea-but it's also something that mostly just comes with experience.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

I Love You! posted:

Why would you choose dith over ashenzeri for a blaster as an alt choice though? Like I cannot think of anything dith offers a blaster that Ash doesn't horrifically trump at a much earlier time.

Because I was blanking out on Gods because it was early and I couldn't sleep and I was browsing online roasting a bad video game strategy guide to lull myself to sleep :v:

Ashenzari is a better choice yeah.

IronicDongz posted:

I've always thought people who actually know what the heck's up should redo wiki stuff and make it worthwhile, but it'd be a lot of work and also on top of that a lot of it would come down to "no matter what you're playing, be careful, train offense before defense"

Like newbies like those guides because they're so specific, but in reality you don't need to be anywhere near that specific and being flexible based on what you find is a much better idea-but it's also something that mostly just comes with experience.

"Train killdudes until you kill dudes fast, then train notgetkilledbydudes until you need to killdudes faster again," is accurate and helpful advice, but not direct enough for a new player.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Some classes can be grouped together easily (Gladiator, Fighter, Monk) in terms of advice given (train your starting weapon skills to start) and they're relatively straightforward to understand. Hybrid starts are more tricky, especially in how to balance your offensive options so you aren't feeling completely powerless further down into the dungeon. A more in-depth guide in those cases would be helpful.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a way to re-order my spells?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Hit the = key, then s for spells.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

Someone (crate or minmay maybe?) tried to do this. The guide OP objected and the official wiki stance came out that guides are the author's opinions and no one else can edit them without the op's consent.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

If there's a guide for the latest version or whatever, people will read that one anyway or so i'd think..

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

learndb on badwiki gham guide posted:

THE ULTYMATE RESISTANCES OF THE GHOUL COMBINED WITH POWYRFUL CLAW ATTACKS + RANGED SUPERIORITY FROM OF THE ARKANE MARKSPERSON MAKES THE GHAM THE POWER CLASS OF 0.8, 0.10, AND 0.11. GO FOR SPLINT MAIL FOR MAXIMUM PROTECTION + FLEXIBILITY // - THIS GUIDE BY SLAUGHTRO POWER CRAWLMASTER X

Sadly no longer present in the wiki.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

kaschei posted:

so looking into this for realsies (I was just going to leave it as a link in the image), what is your problem? performance or are things too small?

If things are too small use tile_cell_pixels = 48 or 64 and I think you can let the window autosize

For better performance I think you need to increase the number of messages, which will shrink the amount of the map displayed, with msg_max_height = some value above the default of 10.

If you do just want to change the number of tiles shown you can set window properties with tile_window_width and tile_window_height

performance is fine, its just that when I launch Crawl tiles its fullscreen by default, and everything is "right shifted" in the interface instead of being centered.

Where would I make those changes? In the init file, somewhere else?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Yeah those are all rcfile options

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

kaschei posted:

Someone (crate or minmay maybe?) tried to do this. The guide OP objected and the official wiki stance came out that guides are the author's opinions and no one else can edit them without the op's consent.
...that seems the opposite of the point of a wiki.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

There's a reason no one* uses the wiki

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

kaschei posted:

There's a reason no one uses the wiki

It's a shame though, because the wiki is the most accessible and 'thorough' source of information, but it's also inaccurate, never up to date, and obstinate towards editing. It's also going to be the first thing anyone who wants to learn about Crawl is going to find searching on their own... every game has a wiki, right?

But on the other hand, you've got learndb, which is almost half jokes and sparse in details players would want like, how much damage is this monster about to do to me this turn. For that information you want Sequell bots, which for a new player (or me) is basically black magic.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

IronicDongz posted:

You can edit the advice on actual wiki pages, you just can't gently caress around with "Jimbob's VpTm of Gozag guide". The guides are all segregated off in some corner though.

There's a lot of bad stuff on the wiki though. Until just recently, the page on poison still had formulas and damage info from 0.13, before deterministic poison was implemented.

Basically the learndb is better because it's actually open. Anyone in the IRC can edit it, while the wiki for some reason won't give you an account unless you send an email to the head honcho asking about it. So really the learndb is more of a wiki than the wiki is.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
This character has been a ton of fun:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-1800-gdc7a371 (webtiles) character file.

jerkstore the Imperceptible (Kobold Assassin)      Turns: 53036, Time: 08:49:12

Health: 147/147    AC: 25    Str: 10    XL:     22   Next: 94%
Magic:  2/37       EV: 44    Int: 11    God:    Pakellas [*****.]
Gold:   622        SH:  0    Dex: 32    Spells: 0 memorised, 21 levels left

rFire  . . .      SeeInvis +    a - +10 iron rod (18/18)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    J - +5 ring mail of Debiah {rC+ Str-5 Dex+7 Stlth+}
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    (shield restricted)
rPois  .          Spirit   .    V - +3 crown of Dyrovepreva {rElec Int+2 SInv}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    e - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    L - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
SustAt .          Harm     .    D - +2 pair of boots {Fly}
MR     +....                    q - amulet of regeneration {+regen, !d}
Stlth  ++++++++++               M - +5 ring of evasion
                                Y - +5 ring of evasion

@: flying, somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, uncannily stealthy
A: carnivore 3, mutation resistance 1
a: Quick Charge, Device Surge, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility, Stop
Flying
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, abyssal 
and it's my first non Berserker/Fighter that I've gotten this deep. Anything that can't be sneak-stabbed gets a shotgun blast to the face. I have all the nice wands which Pakellas can charge up any time. Was extremely lucky early game with 2 experience potions, but otherwise it's been a learning experience.

I used to avoid Evokable and magic characters because tabbing with a mace/axe is so much faster, but it's more engaging to actually have options and make use of them. I still barely use the "miscellaneous" evokables such as cards, box of beasts, spiders, etc. I'll use a phantom mirror on a Hell/Pan boss but that's about it.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Box of beast critters are massive with high evo. They are super tanky.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hell, the ol'e spider bag is crazy at high evoc. Pulling out 7-8 poisonous meat shields is great.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

World Famous W posted:

Hell, the ol'e spider bag is crazy at high evoc. Pulling out 7-8 poisonous meat shields is great.

If you use Pakellas' ability to surge it, you can get an emperor scorpion plus some other junk. (Or could, I haven't played in a while.)

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
:supaburn: crawl.berotato.org is down I can't tab monsters haaalp

Apparently I have an account on http://crawl.akrasiac.org/ but I can't sign in, anyone know how to do a password reset? edit: the answer is ask on IRC! edit edit: and the real real answer is just make a new account!

hmm yes fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 26, 2016

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

resistentialism posted:

Box of beast critters are massive with high evo. They are super tanky.

I've got no experience with the box of beasts before or after the change to making mutants. I don't even know what kinda features and things they get.

I pick them up occasionally, but I never end up using them because I don't want to waste it if it's not necessary, and of I'm in trouble I don't want to experiment and try it out!

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Box of beasts and sack of spiders are awesome tools. Beasts are tanky and can have cool stuff like the weakness sting that orange demons have, and sack makes webs too.

On an unrelated note, howler monkeys look really good now. So much better (no offense to the original pixel artist).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

LordSloth posted:

My standard, absolutely useless answer to Transmuter gods? Whatever you pick will probably work. You're not really going to go wrong.

I took Makhleb, and all was working well until Lair wasn't available until d:11 and a manticore decided to just barb me and keep shooting. When it finally got close enough to melee I had to alternate between Blade attacks and HW quaffs, then died. Future note: maybe try snake spamming instead there. I could also have read teleport but on a fresh floor deeper than I really wanted I thought I was better off transforming and fighting.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Maybe some lesser demon's might've worked too but yeah snakes own

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Snakes are so much better now that you don't have to carry around a fistful of arrows.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Uhhh that's a huge Xom nerf, devs please

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I genuinely miss little quirks like that

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The best part was turning your staff of wizardry into a black mamba 2 floors after you found it

kaschei fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 26, 2016

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Okay, guys. This is my best game EVER so far. Level 25 and just cleared Vaults 5 -- what should I do next, given my character? Is there any equipment I don't need anymore that I"m carrying? Anything I should be looking for?

Shinino the Slayer (Gargoyle Fighter) Turns: 56328, Time: 11:37:18

Health: 176/176 AC: 78 Str: 33 XL: 24 Next: 78%
Magic: 27/27 EV: 9 Int: 30 God: Okawaru [******]
Gold: 1068 SH: 0 Dex: 17 Spells: 0 memorised, 23 levels left

rFire . . . SeeInvis . K - +7 great mace (vamp)
rCold + . . Gourm . b - +11 crystal plate armour of the Saviour {rC+ rN+ Int+8 Dex-2}
rNeg + + . Faith . (shield currently unavailable)
rPois ∞ Spirit + n - +2 hat {Spirit}
rElec + Dismiss . F - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr . Reflect . O - +2 pair of gloves of Leaves {Str+5 Stlth+}
SustAt . Harm + H - +2 pair of boots "Zehyr" {Int+9}
MR ++... Clarity + M - amulet of Vumajoi {Harm *Drain rElec Str+6}
Stlth .......... W - ring of protection from magic
S - ring "Nisop" {EV+1 Dex+4}

@: flying, very resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: antennae 1, big wings, icy blue scales 1, iridescent scales 1, blurry vision
1, clarity, clever 1, clumsy 1, low mp 1, negative energy resistance 1, shaggy
fur 1, electricity resistance, unbreathing, evolution 1, petrification
resistance, rot immunity, subdued magic 1, AC +17
a: Stop Flying, Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility
}: 2/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled

You are on level 5 of the Depths.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 9 branches of the dungeon, and seen 46 of its levels.
You have visited the Abyss 1 time.
You have also visited: Labyrinth, Bailey and Volcano.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
K - a +7 vampiric great mace (weapon)
Missiles
z - 16 curare-tipped needles
Armour
b - the +11 crystal plate armour of the Saviour (worn) {rC+ rN+ Int+8 Dex-2}
n - a +2 hat of spirit shield (worn)
F - a +2 cloak of invisibility (worn)
H - the +2 pair of boots "Zehyr" (worn) {Int+9}
O - the +2 pair of gloves of Leaves (worn) {Str+5 Stlth+}
Rods
e - a +2 rod of ignition (12/12)
f - a +5 rod of shadows (10/10)
Jewellery
M - the amulet of Vumajoi (around neck) {Harm *Drain rElec Str+6}
S - the ring "Nisop" (left hand) {EV+1 Dex+4}
W - a ring of protection from magic (right hand)
Wands
i - a wand of enslavement (7/24)
l - a wand of hasting {zapped: 3}
q - a wand of teleportation (4/9)
y - a wand of enslavement {zapped: 5}
P - a wand of iceblast (2/15)
Q - a wand of disintegration (1/24)
U - a wand of digging (6/24)
V - a wand of paralysis (7/24)
X - a wand of hasting
Scrolls
c - 3 scrolls of fear
g - 7 scrolls of blinking
k - 3 scrolls of fog
p - 2 scrolls of summoning
u - 10 scrolls of teleportation
B - a scroll of enchant armour
E - 3 scrolls of holy word
I - 15 scrolls of remove curse
L - 6 scrolls of recharging
R - 3 scrolls of silence
Y - 12 scrolls of magic mapping
Potions
d - 4 potions of might
h - 4 potions of invisibility
o - 6 potions of haste
s - 3 potions of cancellation
A - 5 potions of ambrosia
D - 6 potions of resistance
Z - 5 potions of agility
Miscellaneous
a - a box of beasts {used: 1}
j - a plain deck of changes {drawn: 5}
m - a legendary deck of wonders {Wild Magic, drawn: 1}
r - an ornate deck of summoning {drawn: 1}
t - a disc of storms
v - a plain deck of summoning {drawn: 5}
w - 2 phantom mirrors
x - a lamp of fire
G - a fan of gales
J - a phial of floods
N - a plain deck of destruction {Vitriol, drawn: 1}
Skills:
+ Level 25.0 Fighting
- Level 21.1 Maces & Flails
+ Level 25.0 Armour
Level 3.2 Shields
- Level 10.2 Invocations
- Level 6.2 Evocations

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (15/15) Temple (1/1) D:7 Lair (8/8) D:11
Shoals (4/4) Lair:4 Snake (4/4) Lair:5 Slime (0/6) Lair:6
Orc (2/2) D:10 Elf (3/3) Orc:2 Vaults (4/5) D:14
Crypt (0/3) Vaults:3 Depths (5/5) D:15 Zot (0/5) Depths:5

Portals:
Hell: Depths:1 Depths:3 Depths:4 Depths:5
Abyss: Depths:1 Depths:2 Depths:4 Depths:5
Pandemonium: Depths:3
Ziggurat: Depths:5

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You are resistant to torment.
Your stone body is resilient (AC +17).
You are immune to poison.
Your large and strong wings let you fly indefinitely.
You resist negative energy.
You are resistant to electric shocks.
You can survive without breathing.
You are immune to petrification.
You are immune to rotting.
You have a pair of small antennae on your head.
You are partially covered in icy blue scales (AC +1).
You are partially covered in iridescent scales (AC +4).
Scrolls take you a little longer to read.
You possess an exceptional clarity of mind.
Your mind is acute. (Int +2)
You are clumsy. (Dex -2)
Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP).
You are covered in fur (AC +1).
You evolve.
Your spells are a little easier to cast, but a little less powerful.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Shinino Kage posted:

Okay, guys. This is my best game EVER so far. Level 25 and just cleared Vaults 5 -- what should I do next, given my character? Is there any equipment I don't need anymore that I"m carrying? Anything I should be looking for?

I wouldn't be carrying the plain decks or the invisibility potions. If you find Identify scrolls, use them on the haste wands. Either drop the curare or find a blowgun (and train Throwing). Carry some food.

There's not much point in training Fighting/Armour to 27 here, especially with Okawaru. Might as well get Dodging instead, despite the heavy armour it'll help a little. Some more Evocations is fine too.

You should do Vaults:5 next (the log suggests you've done Vaults:4 only). Carry a second ring of magic resistance and some rings of fire resistance if possible (or ring of fire if you have to).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Shinino Kage posted:

Dodging vs armour isn't an either-or choice, you should have plenty of levels in both. There are a lot of scary things that are better-avoided by dodging than by AC, like Crystal Spears or Juggernaut attacks.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

kaschei posted:

Uhhh that's a huge Xom nerf, devs please

xom still turns snakes into sticks, though?

e: i don't think that effect was actually changed at all to match the spell, it can still make quarterstaves and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
For fun, here is the list of artefacts I've found thus far in my game. :D

• Locked thread