Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why? Doesn't parry reduce uh... damage you take? Or something? It never comes up for SCH.

Feint has nothing to do with parry. You're thinking of Keen Flurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why? Doesn't parry reduce uh... damage you take? Or something? It never comes up for SCH.

Feint is the weaponskill that applies a slow to your target. Keen Flurry (the parry ability) is also highly situational at best for the same reason it never comes up for SCH: why are you taking damage in the first place?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Feint doesn't have anything to do with parry. That's keen flurry and it's great.

Feint is a GCD skill that lancers get that puts a 20 second slow on an enemy. It is only useful ever for a dragoon in PVP and even then has limited use. Its primary use is as a cross class for bard and mch because you can move while using it under WM or guass barrel.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Feint applies a slow debuff with a really weak attack, but the slow debuff is useless at best and actively makes things worse for your tank at worst.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

FactsAreUseless posted:

Parry ups the chance you parry which always is a20% damage reduction and only procs on physical hits. It's currently real bad outside of guaranteed parrying (raw intuition) cause it's very unreliable

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, every job can parry but the chance is super low outside of Raw Intuition. PLD block ability works a lot better but doesn't reduce as much damage, so again, not worth relying on.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I've come to the conclusion that everyone that plays a male au ra is really bad at this game regardless of what job they are playing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

slev posted:

I've come to the conclusion that everyone is really bad at this game regardless of what job they are playing.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Checks out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

slev posted:

I've come to the conclusion that everyone that plays a male au ra is really bad at this game regardless of what job they are playing.

same but female miqote, au ra, and roedygan

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TooManyUzukis posted:

Feint has nothing to do with parry. You're thinking of Keen Flurry.

Faint is fine on your 5th slot Cross class skill as bard/mch since you've got nothing else to take and it is instant cast even with Minuet/Gauss up.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

kojei posted:

Keen Flurry (the parry ability) is also highly situational at best for the same reason it never comes up for SCH: why are you taking damage in the first place?

Because one of the tanks was stupid and exploded and isn't alive to take his party-eating mechanic.

Really though, Keen Flurry has a niche for when you're down a tank, either because they died or aren't there to begin with (i.e. during speedruns that drop a tank spot in favor of a DPS) and you need someone to take their mechanic. A bold DRG actually saved one of my pre-3.3 Sephirot runs after the MT blew up by soaking his Fiendish Wail (a.k.a. physical Conviction) tower, popping Keen Flurry and Foresight to survive.

...Though you're hosed if the damage is magic-based. I'm not sure if there's a magic-based equivalent of Foresight that isn't restricted to tanks.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 14, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Keen Flurry used to be crazy good for dragoons and monks in ARR, because strength used to increase the damage reduction from parrying.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Its still good for any telegraphed physical attack like earthshakers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SL the Pyro posted:

...Though you're hosed if the damage is magic-based. I'm not sure if there's a magic-based equivalent of Foresight that isn't restricted to tanks.

Nothing you can do personally, but other classes can use their specific buffs/debuffs on you/the boss; Apocatastasis, Supervirus, Disable, Rend Mind.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Whoever bought me an av ilu

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

seiferguy posted:

{same}

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

seiferguy posted:

:perfect:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Black mages can get a 30% shield with Manaward, which might be enough depending on the mechanic.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Feint used to be one of the best skills in PvP, but got nerfed heavily so it's only okay now. There were some spit ball ideas for using Feint against some of the Bennus when they spawn in T12 to make it easier on the OT, but it's probably worse than not messing up your rotation so you can have less Bennus overall.

Keen Flurry will probably be reworked with the parry stat rework/cross class rework coming in Stormblood. I mean, traited Keen Flurry with Dragoon is pretty close to Raw Intuition without the auto-crit penalty, but that last 20% could be a problem. Was particularly relevant IMO in T9, letting healers derp a little bit if you were targeted by double meteor stream and were able to parry one of them (like Ninja or BLM could straight up ignore several).

The magic based equivalent of Foresight is Fey Covenant, as in, it's a 20% increase to your magical defense stat for 20 seconds. Same cooldown too if it's not traited.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

seiferguy posted:

:popeye: :potg:

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
You guys I changed from a boy catgirl to a dragon girl and all of my healer gear looks so much better.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

vOv posted:

Black mages can get a 30% shield with Manaward, which might be enough depending on the mechanic.

Manaward/Manawall is great for dealing with prey mechanics. In A11 you can ignore the first of the three hits, meaning the healer doesn't need to frantically smash the panic button as you'll still have a good chunk of health. Same with A12, where you'll be hit but you won't loose half your health in a single hit. Giving the healers more time to DPS a bit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So, when leveling an alt from 50-59, I'm assuming an augmented IW weapon will last through to 60 barring some lucky weapon drop in the Vault or Gubal NM?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Augmented IW weapon will last you until about 56.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alright, thanks.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Oh my god you poor bastards had to put up with this in XI

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's superseded at 56 but you can certainly go to 60 with an i130 weapon. The normal quality crafted i150 weapons have slightly less weapon damage than augmented ironworks so you'd still be within the intended gearing for all HW leveling dungeons.

It'd be a pain in the rear end to heal or tank the vault or gubal normal (and who ever is playing the other role will want to kill you) but you're not actually as far behind the gear curve as you might think.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I ran a vault a couple days ago as an AST with an i130 Ironworks weapon. There's definitely more healing required because basic heals were barely giving the tank anything. Almost felt like cleric stance was on.

It meant less time to spam gravity :smith:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

She's a psychology grad student focusing primarily on with people with autism.

Talk about taking your work home.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Save burns for bosses plz

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

seiferguy posted:

I ran a vault a couple days ago as an AST with an i130 Ironworks weapon. There's definitely more healing required because basic heals were barely giving the tank anything. Almost felt like cleric stance was on.

It meant less time to spam gravity :smith:

Dreadwyrm and zeta relics do ok on the vault. I'd say by library you should upgrade for sure though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dreadwyrm and zeta relics do ok on the vault. I'd say by library you should upgrade for sure though.

Yeah, around level 56 or 58 the NQ leveling weapons will have higher weapon damage than i135 weapons from before the expansion, so that is the time to pick one up. Only needing to buy one vendor weapon between level 50 and 60 (and a freebie for your first job thanks to quests) isn't that bad of a deal really.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 14, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thundarr posted:

Yeah, around level 56 or 58 the NQ leveling weapons will have higher weapon damage than i135 weapons from before the expansion, so that is the time to pick one up. Only needing to buy one vendor weapon between level 50 and 60 (and a freebie for your first job thanks to quests) isn't that bad of a deal really.

Normal quality 145 doesn't even have the weapon damage of the poetic weapon (53 for NQ i145 adamantite broadsword vs 57 for upgraded ironworks sword).

Dreadwyrm & Zeta are effectively identical to the weapon drops from The Aery (58 weapon damage) which are meant to be good enough to clear the vault. Vault and crafted 139-145 items all have 59 WD and the library drops and crafted i150 all have 60 WD.

A normal quality Adamantite Winglet (i145) has weapon damage of 54 (same as i120 ironworks). Basically never buy white weapons and always get someone to craft you an HQ one.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I haven't played this in a while, but I surprisingly can't find an answer to a point of curiosity for me: How does the Alexander storyline finish? I did up to Midas before I quit and it seemed like Quickthinx Allthoughts had the ultimate trump card. Does anyone feel like throwing some spoilers my way?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I've convinced a friend to play this after they got disillusioned from WoW, what are some newbie tips I can suggest to them that I may not have thought of myself? Stuff we know now but wish we'd known at the start when everything was fresh and new.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

you can get to waking sands much faster by going to limsa, arcanist guild, and taking the boat

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Normal quality 145 doesn't even have the weapon damage of the poetic weapon (53 for NQ i145 adamantite broadsword vs 57 for upgraded ironworks sword).

Dreadwyrm & Zeta are effectively identical to the weapon drops from The Aery (58 weapon damage) which are meant to be good enough to clear the vault. Vault and crafted 139-145 items all have 59 WD and the library drops and crafted i150 all have 60 WD.

A normal quality Adamantite Winglet (i145) has weapon damage of 54 (same as i120 ironworks). Basically never buy white weapons and always get someone to craft you an HQ one.

Maybe I was thinking of HQs. I remember using the quest reward weapon at 58 because it was finally better than my zeta claws. I guess it's been so long that I forgot the quests don't give you NQ items. :shobon:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thundarr posted:

Maybe I was thinking of HQs. I remember using the quest reward weapon at 58 because it was finally better than my zeta claws. I guess it's been so long that I forgot the quests don't give you NQ items. :shobon:

Yeah the heavensward quests give HQ. The vendor whites are better than the lower ilevel stuff only because of substats, but aren't really worth spending money on unless you just want them for glamor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Verranicus posted:

I've convinced a friend to play this after they got disillusioned from WoW, what are some newbie tips I can suggest to them that I may not have thought of myself? Stuff we know now but wish we'd known at the start when everything was fresh and new.

ilifinicus posted:

you can get to waking sands much faster by going to limsa, arcanist guild, and taking the boat

sweet baby jesus tell them this oh my god

also you can click on aetherytes on the map to teleport to them instead of having to navigate the menu

• Locked thread