Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I will kindly help anyone who is sick of Lego by taking some sets off your hands. I won't even charge you for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Made a custom bike for Scout Trooper Ted Lasso based on a speed build video someone posted. Now to find a sack piece to put the child in...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice. that's probably the best take on a speeder bike I have seen. Should be brown though.

What did you use to get his leg positioning like that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I will kindly help anyone who is sick of Lego by taking some sets off your hands. I won't even charge you for it!

Ugh, finally. Give me your address, I'll unload this burden of legos.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dogen posted:

Made a custom bike for Scout Trooper Ted Lasso based on a speed build video someone posted. Now to find a sack piece to put the child in...

Rad bike, very sleek

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

I can kinda relate to the burnout? I've been going a bit ham with the purchasing this year and I try to mostly save building for when I have the itch, but on some level I worry I'm just doing it to have something to do? Iunno. It can be nice as just something to keep me busy while I watch something. It's just a nice process that's engaging, but doesn't take the same kind of energy some of my other hobbies do?

Speaking of buying, I bought that CADA 86 Toyota and it finally arrived. Didn't come with the original box, and I have to say Im kind of impressed how much they got into such a small shipping box.

I'm wondering how the hell I'm going to manage the build - something like 1200 pieces with no numbered bags. I struggle to find space on my desk for like, moderate size piece count steps.

Clear plastic cocktail cups—buy a sleeve or two next time you’re out at the grocery store, and use those to knoll the bricks. Plates, tiles, bricks, technics, slopes, and subsort based on quantity. Takes a little bit upfront, but saves so much time and headache throughout the build.

A couple of clear plastic shoebins are also handy for miscellaneous parts or big pieces.

Blue Moonlight posted:

From the Bootleg thread:

Lego would never produce it, but it’s a fun, colorful, unique little build (sadly, I assume it’s a ripped off MOC). I’m pretending the woman to the left doesn’t have a mic, but is in fact disgusted at her boyfriend visiting this establishment.

I believe Sembo designs their own sets... I know a few of the Chinese brick manufacturers actually hire designers and stuff, and Sembo has some IPs for movies that they’ve released original sets for

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

MaliciousOnion posted:

I've actually enjoyed ... the Friends Central Park set

I'm glad to hear that, given how negative AFOLs tend to be about the set.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

Nice. that's probably the best take on a speeder bike I have seen. Should be brown though.

What did you use to get his leg positioning like that?

They're white in The Mandalorian for some reason

At the bottom of the main body in front of the driver is a 1x1 plate with clip, then that clips to a 2x1 plate with handle upside down, then on the inverted studs side of that plate you put a inverted 2x1 bracket, and the leg backs stick onto the studs side of that. Then on the other side of the bracket attach a 2x1 with clips, and that clips onto a pneumatic T you build the rest of the rear off of.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 18, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice.

Finished the main build of the Cantina. Still have to do the side buildings which are a surprisingly large amount of parts.

This set is definetly one of the best SW sets they have ever made. It hits every note a set like this should. Everything is built with a very "UCS" eye for detail. Lots of extra complexity added to stuff that's appeared in the smaller cantina sets making it stand out next to those regardless of size (and it is big, bigger than it felt before all of the parts went together) mostly studless finish etc. but it also works extremely well as both a playset and a display piece. Even with the roof on you get a nice clear look at all of the interior detail. Everything is extremely modular (which is great because it's very wide. I think moreso than my shelf is deep.) It flips open and every roof part comes off to turn it into a full playset, which would also work very well as an interior display if that was the direction you wanted to go. All of the exterior builds are also meant to be rearranged. it's very versatile. So far I give it a 10/10 except for the hole it burned in my wallet.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 18, 2020

NickThorn
Jan 11, 2005

I'm fucking wild about KEYKEYs.

Thank you. I didn't think to check the PYF forum.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

Nice.

Finished the main build of the Cantina. Still have to do the side buildings which are a surprisingly large amount of parts.

This set is definetly one of the best SW sets they have ever made. It hits every note a set like this should. Everything is built with a very "UCS" eye for detail. Lots of extra complexity added to stuff that's appeared in the smaller cantina sets making it stand out next to those regardless of size (and it is big, bigger than it felt before all of the parts went together) mostly studless finish etc. but it also works extremely well as both a playset and a display piece. Even with the roof on you get a nice clear look at all of the interior detail. Everything is extremely modular (which is great because it's very wide. I think moreso than my shelf is deep.) It flips open and every roof part comes off to turn it into a full playset, which would also work very well as an interior display if that was the direction you wanted to go. All of the exterior builds are also meant to be rearranged. it's very versatile. So far I give it a 10/10 except for the hole it burned in my wallet.
I've really come to like it more now that I've seen a couple in-depth reviews. I know it was designed to hit a certain price point and a lot of the extra stuff (Jawa shop and house, vaporators, speeders) was added to bump it up to $350, but all that extra stuff is really good. The whole thing looks impressive and DOES feel (to me, anyway) more or less worth it, despite the Star Wars tax. I certainly like it more than Cloud City, the only other Master Builder set so far and therefore the only reasonable frame of reference.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

veni veni veni posted:

Nice.

Based on your experience building it, how feasible would it be to modify one of the long walls (the opposite side to Han and Greedo, ie the primary camera pov) to be more of a cut out? I personally rather 3 wall display buildings to something you have to open up to see inside, so I'm a little on the fence about this one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Ship in a Bottle and Saturn V are coming back

Brick Fanatics posted:

Shortly after the news that two LEGO Ideas would be reissued was rumoured, the LEGO Group has confirmed the news.

According to a rumour revealed today, LEGO Ideas 21313 Ship in a Bottle and 21309 NASA Apollo Saturn V are about to be reissued shortly after being retired. Now, the LEGO Group has confirmed the news with a statement to LEGO Ambassadors:

quote:

The two sets are being re-launched due to popular demand, and as they had already left the market, we could not keep the original numbers. The agreements with the Fan Designers remain unchanged.

Also: one of the new set numbers matches a fan designer’s birthday. They were both very involved in the process.

These LEGO Ideas sets will return to the line-up with new set numbers – 92176 NASA Apollo Saturn V and 92177 Ship in a Bottle.

It’s an unusual move given that LEGO Ideas sets often have shorter lifespans than regular retail sets. That said, the lifespan of LEGO sets has become more unpredictable in the past few years.

These sets are being discussed as reissues, but in such instances small changes are sometimes made – usually as a result of certain elements being retired or replaced. That means that they may not be 100% identical to the original editions.

According to the original rumour, the sets will be back on November 1 – presumably available at LEGO.com and LEGO Stores.

Glad I didn't pay an inflated amount for the Saturn V.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You won't have a FIRST EDITION set, scrub. :smug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There were inflated saturn v prices? Aside from the initial launch, it was always either 120 or 100 dollars.

I hope this saturn v relaunch gets lego to make a CSM for the LM already. There are only so many 50 year anniversaries left.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cojawfee posted:

There were inflated saturn v prices? Aside from the initial launch, it was always either 120 or 100 dollars.
It's 300-400 AUD on Ebay at the moment.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I hope this saturn v relaunch gets lego to make a CSM for the LM already. There are only so many 50 year anniversaries left.

How would you display it, assuming you mean something that attaches to the LM that exists already

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dogen posted:

How would you display it, assuming you mean something that attaches to the LM that exists already

It doesn't have to display attached. Just build a stand that it sits on. Maybe include pieces that will also hold up the LM. I don't really care what they do. I just want a CSM next to my LM.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Fair enough, I’d love if they could figure out how to make them work together but I guess since the LM wasn’t designed with it in mind, eh. Wouldn’t be hard to change to top of the LM though.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ship in a Bottle and Saturn V are coming back

Hah, maybe I should get my dad the Saturn V as a retirement present. That’d keep him busy for a while.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The top of the LM is a round plate with an axle hole. It could be modified to have an axle that goes between them, but I doubt there is any way to have the whole thing be sturdy enough. It would be more fragile than the Saturn V.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
This is a long shot, but if any of you are in the Orange county area, this goodwill has the Mario starter set complete for $35. I got one and confirmed that it has the Mario. 5948 Westminster Blvd, Westminster, CA 92683

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lizard Combatant posted:

Based on your experience building it, how feasible would it be to modify one of the long walls (the opposite side to Han and Greedo, ie the primary camera pov) to be more of a cut out? I personally rather 3 wall display buildings to something you have to open up to see inside, so I'm a little on the fence about this one.

I’d say fairly easy but also unnecessary. Between the main roof being a removable frame and all of the smaller roof parts being removable, the interior is very accessible/viewable.

But if you wanted to go that route it would not be hard. You’d just have to not build the walls and keep the support beams and connections to other builds in tact.

Carbohydrates posted:

I've really come to like it more now that I've seen a couple in-depth reviews. I know it was designed to hit a certain price point and a lot of the extra stuff (Jawa shop and house, vaporators, speeders) was added to bump it up to $350, but all that extra stuff is really good. The whole thing looks impressive and DOES feel (to me, anyway) more or less worth it, despite the Star Wars tax. I certainly like it more than Cloud City, the only other Master Builder set so far and therefore the only reasonable frame of reference.

Yeah. On one hand they could have probably knocked $100+ off they didn't include all of the side builds. On the other hand they all seem appropriate and are also extremely good, which make it feel more like a proper scene and not just a building. The landspeeders are really well done, The big moisture vaporizer is low key one of my favorite parts of the set, and the Jawa shop area (although I haven't built it yet) is actually a substantial, nicely designed building of it's own.

One of my favorite parts of the set is blocked by most of the pictures. The rear side has a little terrain area like the Dewback feeding pen, except it's full of nicely built bits of space junk and storage. I will be swapping it out for the dewback pen to display in front because I think it has more personality and makes the flat side of the building more interesting.

I think one of the biggest things that elevates it over Cloud City is that ME cantina is something that is actually doable at that scale. Cloud City went in the Death Star direction of just conceptualizing some scenes into a space that roughly resembles the in movie area, and the result was a pretty good playset, but a bad display that is unwieldy to even get on a shelf. ME is able to cover all of it's bases better.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 18, 2020

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

CSM seems like it's right in the middle of not big enough to be interesting/fun on it's own, but not small enough for abstracting, and if you build it to scale with S5 or the lander which are interesting on their own you get a fragile mess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Anias posted:

CSM seems like it's right in the middle of not big enough to be interesting/fun on it's own, but not small enough for abstracting, and if you build it to scale with S5 or the lander which are interesting on their own you get a fragile mess.

There's plenty of cool stuff you can do with the CSM. A foldable antenna. A big rear end rocket engine bell. Removable panels that reveal the fuel cells. An interior for the command module. All kinds of cool stuff.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Cojawfee posted:

There's plenty of cool stuff you can do with the CSM. A foldable antenna. A big rear end rocket engine bell. Removable panels that reveal the fuel cells. An interior for the command module. All kinds of cool stuff.

I think the actual CSM is plenty cool. I think once you start trying to make a MOC of it, you'll see what I mean about it being at an awkward scale.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

The idea I always dreamed it: split straight down the middle, one side opens to the scale of something like the hellicarrier and they other a couple minifig scale scenes. Then you could display from either side, and maintain being a play set.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I forgot I impulse bought the Bespin planet set on Ebay the other day new, for 8 bux shipped. The one with Lobot and a mini cloud car. The seller included a brand new TLM CMF just for the heck of it. I wish more Ebay sellers were like that.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Is it typical to get a box with extra pieces???

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

veni veni veni posted:

I’d say fairly easy but also unnecessary. Between the main roof being a removable frame and all of the smaller roof parts being removable, the interior is very accessible/viewable.

But if you wanted to go that route it would not be hard. You’d just have to not build the walls and keep the support beams and connections to other builds in tact.

Cheers!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Is it typical to get a box with extra pieces???

What do you mean - Like within the box? Separate? What set did you get?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Oxyclean posted:

What do you mean - Like within the box? Separate? What set did you get?

Just one of those little $5 dollar color themed boxes. I got a few bonus trans studs. I'm not complaining just wondering if it's typical.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

If it was just some extra pieces inside the set, yeah, that's really typical. Almost every set has some spares of the extra small bits.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Oxyclean posted:

If it was just some extra pieces inside the set, yeah, that's really typical. Almost every set has some spares of the extra small bits.

Juicy. :hai:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Literally A Person posted:

Just one of those little $5 dollar color themed boxes. I got a few bonus trans studs. I'm not complaining just wondering if it's typical.

No it's a special present from Lego.

Nobody ruin this for me.

E:gently caress

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
My PAB order finally arrived and I felt mildly disappointed that there were no extra pieces as I’ve become accustomed to with sets. I should have ordered more!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Got all the Harry Potter CMFs for my wife and we put them together, I always forget how they kick things up a notch for the CMFs

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

My PAB order finally arrived and I felt mildly disappointed that there were no extra pieces as I’ve become accustomed to with sets. I should have ordered more!

GWP have had a similar effect for me. When I order a single big set, I'm a little sad not to have a little thing to put together first.

Doesn't help I was been really spoiled by getting a few really nice GWP in a row (Batmobile, Christmas Tree and the 40th anniversary train) that getting smaller polybag stuff for the next few GWP was a bit underwhelming.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Another day, another minifig scale vehicle. Made to go specifically to go with this viking duder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I have one bad thing to say about the Cantina is that it's not a great shelf display. It looked so amazing on my dinner table after it was done, and now I'm trying to merge it onto my shelf and its' kind of hard to make it look like much more than a double long version of the old, small set. You'd really want to put it on a dresser or something where you can see the whole thing from the top.