Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Think my old geforce4 was by Leadtek anyway, so I don't feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Palladium posted:

It's almost like "poo poo, we didn't have everything we made in the glass cabinet collection."

Or some unusual preparation for an IP infringement lawsuit.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Makes me regret going with MAD DOG MULTIMEDIA for my GeForce 4.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This made me think of the video cards I have lingering around, and I'm pretty sure I also have a GTX 460 from eVGA in a box here somewhere. Also have a GTX 660 somewhere, but that one is Zotac, I think.

It's me - I'm the GPU hoarder.

I've still got an X800GTO2 (that I unlocked the extra pipelines on from 12 to 16 to make it essentially a lower-clocked X800XT woooo) and a 9800GT (both working) that I insist on keeping as "backups".

Both still in their original boxes, too.

I dislike myself a little more after writing this post.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 18, 2017

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Think my old geforce4 was by Leadtek anyway, so I don't feel bad.
Was that the one with video input capabilities? Their media package 4200 Ti was my first foray into the world of way too many cable capture cards. Thankfully Youtube TV has finally ended that futile quest.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yes! It did have Vivo. I don't think I ever used it though.

It had massive heatsinks for the time, I can't remember if I disabled the fans or not and ran it passively (probably).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I had an ATI 9600 Pro AIW that I totally intended to video capture with but screwed up installing the incredibly finicky drivers and never got around to fixing it. Was a great GPU for the time, though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I was looking at listings for Founders Edition GTX 1080ti cards, since I was thinking of flipping mine on eBay to get a custom-cooler version like an EVGA instead for around the same price.

I found a listing that is... interesting:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Zero VGS posted:

I was looking at listings for Founders Edition GTX 1080ti cards, since I was thinking of flipping mine on eBay to get a custom-cooler version like an EVGA instead for around the same price.

I found a listing that is... interesting:

That dude owns and I hope someone bites.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

tehinternet posted:

That dude owns and I hope someone bites.

That dude is just a scammer and ebay will refund whoever will bite.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Yes! It did have Vivo. I don't think I ever used it though.

It had massive heatsinks for the time, I can't remember if I disabled the fans or not and ran it passively (probably).
Yes, VIVO, thanks for jogging my memory. I won't lie, 20 year old me bought that brand model because a) video input and b) look at dem massive heatsinks. And that was in the era before the ubiquitous case window, so I'm afraid to say I've only regressed since then.

quote:

I had an ATI 9600 Pro AIW that I totally intended to video capture with but screwed up installing the incredibly finicky drivers and never got around to fixing it. Was a great GPU for the time, though.
In all my of years fighting to pipe in external video, I never once encountered a GPU or dedicated capture card that could not be said to have incredibly finicky drivers. The CableCard InfiniTV now collecting dust in my basement required reinstallation drat near weekly - one almost imagines a consortium of powerful entities spent years making the idea of imputing a video signal into a file replicating machine much more difficult than it needed to be.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Volguus posted:

That dude is just a scammer and ebay will refund whoever will bite.

Yeah no kidding, I saw this on Judge Judy once of all places lol.

I dont know if anybody remembers but for a while there was a big rash of fake GPUs on ebay, like 780tis that were clearly some $5 salvaged videocard with a terrible colorful cooler on them. There were more of those than real listings.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

1000 EVGA bucks lmao

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I've got a friend that tried to sell an "XBOX BOX" on ebay back when the original Xbox was new. He tried to put every possible warning that it was just the box, not the console. Didn't work.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tried doing that too. Wii Box, not console, don't buy this if you want a console. Ebay or Paypal sided with the buyer.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

craig588 posted:

I tried doing that too. Wii Box, not console, don't buy this if you want a console. Ebay or Paypal sided with the buyer.

borkencode posted:

I've got a friend that tried to sell an "XBOX BOX" on ebay back when the original Xbox was new. He tried to put every possible warning that it was just the box, not the console. Didn't work.

Yeah no poo poo ebay sides with the buyer, it's a scam.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If you disposed yourself of dumbass scam ideas like that, people trying to sell GPUs legitimately wouldn't be worried about eBay siding with buyers so much. It's because of dicks like you that they basically have to. gently caress you.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I sold a 1080ti today (for $720, I wanted to basically change out my Founders Edition for an EVGA iCX instead, they're going for around the same price) and someone who didn't win the auction messaged me and said "Oh hey I won the card, but I'm taking care of my sick dad, so can you change it to this address instead"

I replied back with something along the lines of "For fucks sake, don't try to scam your fellow man. Scam some giant corporations instead if you have so much energy."

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Craptacular! posted:

If you disposed yourself of dumbass scam ideas like that, people trying to sell GPUs legitimately wouldn't be worried about eBay siding with buyers so much. It's because of dicks like you that they basically have to. gently caress you.

but-but-but mah free market

VVVV That reminds of that overclock.net guy who returned his XB271HU only like 30 times so he can have that truly flawless panel.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 19, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Craptacular! posted:

And it sucks that there are people who will exploit the poo poo out of the other side too, someone who bought one of my GPUs never even opened the drat thing and returned it three months later as "defective." Yes it is hard to get a GPU working if it's not removed from the box.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Since I want a GTX 1080 by New Year's, the store I'm ordering from offered me a choice between a Zotac Mini and a MSI Aero OC as a replacement for the one I ordered.

I know that the Zotac are bottom of the barrel stuff, is there anything bad about the MSI that I should reject it for? I understand blower cards don't have an 'off' mode, are they quiet enough while on stand-by?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Of the two I think I'd actually go with the Zotac. The fans are a different design than the bad ones used on the Amp Extreme and reviews seem to place it right in the middle to slightly above the middle in terms of sound level to cooling performance. The MSI Aero is right on the bottom though, it seems like another card like the Armor where they put a 1070 cooler onto a 1080 and it's just barely good enough.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Kramjacks posted:

Yeah no poo poo ebay sides with the buyer, it's a scam.

ebay and paypal will generally side with the buyer by default anyway regardless of whether or not the listing was a scam - being a small seller is a constant source of irritation because of this. the 'sell a picture of something or the box the thing came in' trick is pretty much the oldest internet scam in the book tho

Generic Monk posted:

1000 EVGA bucks lmao

i like that the site calls it a 'digital currency' when it's just store credit. don't know why they would try to latch onto the crypto train when it's orders of magnitude easier to get actual money out of store credit than any 'digital currency'

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
My heart has been set on upgrading my PC with a MSI 1080, but I'm currently looking hard at a monitor with FreeSync. I've been told here and read that the new Vega 56/64 will both need a lot of power and cooling, as well as being quite loud. If I can live with the sound and the increased power bill the question is if my current rig can handle it at all, or if the PSU will be too low?

My current rig is:
Motherboard - MSI Z77A-GD55, Socket-1155
Processor - Intel Core i7-3770 (Using it with its stock fan)
GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 (To be exhanged with the Vega 56 or 64 or 1080)
RAM - 16 GB (4x4gb) Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHx
PSU - XFX ProSeries Core Edition 550W
HDD - Crucial M4 SSD 2.5" 256GB
Case - NZXT H2 Midi Tower
OS - Win 10 Home

The GPU will drive a 3840x1440 38" IPS 75Hz monitor with FreeSync.
The Vega 56 is more expensive than a 1080 where I live, but if the enhanced FreeSync feeling can justify the cost/noise, then I could go for one of the Vegas.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

iSimian posted:

My heart has been set on upgrading my PC with a MSI 1080, but I'm currently looking hard at a monitor with FreeSync. I've been told here and read that the new Vega 56/64 will both need a lot of power and cooling, as well as being quite loud. If I can live with the sound and the increased power bill the question is if my current rig can handle it at all, or if the PSU will be too low?

My current rig is:
Motherboard - MSI Z77A-GD55, Socket-1155
Processor - Intel Core i7-3770 (Using it with its stock fan)
GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 (To be exhanged with the Vega 56 or 64 or 1080)
RAM - 16 GB (4x4gb) Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHx
PSU - XFX ProSeries Core Edition 550W
HDD - Crucial M4 SSD 2.5" 256GB
Case - NZXT H2 Midi Tower
OS - Win 10 Home

The GPU will drive a 3840x1440 38" IPS 75Hz monitor with FreeSync.
The Vega 56 is more expensive than a 1080 where I live, but if the enhanced FreeSync feeling can justify the cost/noise, then I could go for one of the Vegas.

do not buy a vega card, especially when it's more expensive than the 1080. you're paying more for performance that's roughly 1070-tier (with the 56), with all the added headaches of power, noise, and drivers that while improving are still less performant than the nvidia ones in most games. personally i don't think that freesync is worth that.

psu is fine for the 1080 and probably the 56. 64 draws an insane amount of power and i wouldn't recommend it with a 550W PSU (a ton of people spec their PC for way more power than it will actually ever draw - you can run a system with a single 1080ti comfortably with a decent-brand 500W so a lot of the PSU bellyaching is quite overblown. the exception is vega which draws an ungodly amount of power for no good reason at all)

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 19, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Instead of spending more for a worse GPU, why not put that money towards a gsync monitor instead? Buying freesync now is just gambling that AMD is good next cycle or NV adds support, neither of which seems too likely.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

Instead of spending more for a worse GPU, why not put that money towards a gsync monitor instead? Buying freesync now is just gambling that AMD is good next cycle or NV adds support, neither of which seems too likely.

yea i was just about to say this - put the money you save from not buying the amd card towards a g-sync monitor. the only VRR device I have is an ipad pro so i can't really comment on the worth of the tech itself, but i am absolutely a proponent of holding off on buying something for a bit so you can get something better (within reason, this is tech after all)

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, the Vega 56 is most likely out then for all of the mentioned reasons. The G-Sync monitor vs FreeSync is a whole 'nother mess I'm getting help sorting out in the Monitor thread, so I won't leak it over into this one. Sufficient to say I want my cake and eat it too. Thanks for the clearifications about the PSU.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Freesync comes basically free with any high end monitor now, but whatever you might save on the monitor gets eaten up by the extra Vega cost and you have an overall worse card. I went for a freesync monitor anyways because I don't like supporting Gsync and 144Hz reduces tearing a lot too. If you move up to a 120-165 Hz monitor variable refresh might be less of a big deal than at 75Hz.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It doesn't make sense to overpay by $300-400 on your GPU to save $150 on a monitor, especially when the monitor is the part that can last you 5+ years. And right now you absolutely cannot buy Vega for less than $700 at best, often closer to $800. Right now the only place you can even backorder them is Amazon... for $836. It's a loving no-brainer at that point, that's 1080 Ti money and even the most AMD-optimized titles don't hit 1080 Ti performance. Hell that's 1080 Ti and GSync tax level money.

Advanced Mining Devices, indeed.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 19, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can use nvidia gpus just fine with the cheaper monitor tho. Personally I'd rather put that 150 towards a better gpu.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Truga posted:

You can use nvidia gpus just fine with the cheaper monitor tho. Personally I'd rather put that 150 towards a better gpu.

A 1080 will already exceed 75FPS on a lot of games at 21:9 resolutions. Bumping up higher than that would be a bit of a waste if that's all the monitor supports. Better to grab the higher-Hz monitor now so that the 1080 can really stretch its legs when it can--the Freesync monitor he's looking at isn't actually any cheaper than the GSync alternatives (at least not in the US; unsure what the pricing structure looks like over there).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well then that's just a dumb decision, yeah.

e: I'd still go for the more expensive gpu myself, but I'm a VR user so :shrug:

Truga fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 19, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So I'm trying to get my Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 to limit the FPS of a janky steam game that's running way too fast and I'm having trouble. I managed to get the 3D control panel to force it to have vsync, which made it go from unplayable to smooth but nausea-inducing, but I can't find a way to give the game a hard FPS limit. This video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH9D__g1yqs

Claims you can do it with a third party program called Nvidia Inspector, but after installing it, the desired option just doesn't show up in the list. Now if I go down to "other" I see a couple things with "frame rate limiter" in the name (1, 2, 3)but I don't understand any of their drop down functions. I'm using what appears to be the latest build here, and I don't know what else I'm doing wrong.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

quote:

psu is fine for the 1080 and probably the 56. 64 draws an insane amount of power and i wouldn't recommend it with a 550W PSU (a ton of people spec their PC for way more power than it will actually ever draw - you can run a system with a single 1080ti comfortably with a decent-brand 500W so a lot of the PSU bellyaching is quite overblown. the exception is vega which draws an ungodly amount of power for no good reason at all)
My entire system power draw at load with a Vega 64 Liquid + 6700k is 420 W, not sure where you are getting that number from. I get that I'm a minority here and that he should just get a 1080, but the sheer amount of anti-AMD FUD in this thread is disheartening. You literally decried bellyaching about PSU power while doing exactly that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ZobarStyl posted:

My entire system power draw at load with a Vega 64 Liquid + 6700k is 420 W, not sure where you are getting that number from. I get that I'm a minority here and that he should just get a 1080, but the sheer amount of anti-AMD FUD in this thread is disheartening. You literally decried bellyaching about PSU power while doing exactly that.

Vega pulls transient loads of well above 400W, and it can crash some borderline PSUs. Unlike NVIDIA cards, AMD cards don't have much in the way of power monitoring and aren't smart enough to pull back on the throttle if they see voltage start to droop.

A lot of people on /r/AMD find out the hard way that a 1000W PSU is not enough for Crossfire Vegas because of this, despite the fact that in theory it should only be pulling about 700W average.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/73fzpx/for_the_first_time_in_10_years_im_completely/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/78oxck/rx_vega_56_powering_entire_computer_down_when_i/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/76shjp/psa_my_vega_56_caused_my_machine_to_hard_reset/

You really want at least a 650W with Vega. 750-1000W is safer. For CrossFire you probably want more like 1200W. Undervolting helps, of course.

YMMV, just be aware that it actually is an issue people run into on Vega even with PSUs that you would think are "safe". You can't exactly point the finger at a Seasonic 1000W Titanium or an EVGA 850W G3 as a lovely, insufficient PSU.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 19, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Overclocked Vega 64s can draw 600 watts alone. Overclocked 1080 Tis can draw up to 400 watts. Overclocked 1080s can draw 300 watts. If you don't overclock it should obey TDP limits more closely, but you're still almost twice as much power for about the same performance. 180 watts versus 295 watts stock. I haven't done a ton of research with stock Vegas, but Nvidia cards are very good about obeying their TDPs if you don't mess with their clock settings you should practically never see more than 180 watts pulled with a 1080. You can not care about power usage to a point, but eventually it starts getting ridiculous. Like the old Prescott dual cores versus A64s.

The Vega 64 liquid is a 345 watt stock card too, combine that with a stock 6700K at 91 watts you're looking at 436 watts from those 2 components alone, before losses from the PSU, ignoring every single other component in the system you might have. That suggests that you're either not load testing right or your current meter isn't accurate.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ZobarStyl posted:

i was just decried on the other page for my virulent pro-amd apologia; please decide amongst yourselves, and in advance, which angle from which you're going to shaft me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i don't own any amd or nvidia hardware. my computer is a mac mini with intel integrated graphics. the only game i'm playing at the moment is planescape torment on my ipad x

i specifically decried PSU bellyaching in order to underscore how power hungry the vega cards are, which is not exactly a controversial conclusion. i was using these numbers, which looking elsewhere may be a little high. noted amd HATER adoredtv also thinks it's a dud power wise

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 19, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Generic Monk posted:

my computer is a mac mini with intel integrated graphics.

Aha, now you've given away the game, you scoundrel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Vega pulls transient loads of well above 400W, and it can crash some borderline PSUs. Unlike NVIDIA cards, AMD cards don't have much in the way of power monitoring and aren't smart enough to pull back on the throttle if they see voltage start to droop.

A lot of people on /r/AMD find out the hard way that a 1000W PSU is not enough for Crossfire Vegas because of this, despite the fact that in theory it should only be pulling about 700W average.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/73fzpx/for_the_first_time_in_10_years_im_completely/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/78oxck/rx_vega_56_powering_entire_computer_down_when_i/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/76shjp/psa_my_vega_56_caused_my_machine_to_hard_reset/

You really want at least a 650W with Vega. 750-1000W is safer. For CrossFire you probably want more like 1200W. Undervolting helps, of course.

YMMV, just be aware that it actually is an issue people run into on Vega even with PSUs that you would think are "safe". You can't exactly point the finger at a Seasonic 1000W Titanium or an EVGA 850W G3 as a lovely, insufficient PSU.

That is crazy. I just had to deal with that but with a dumb RX480 Strix. I had a 560W Seasonic and my computer would just turn off when I was gaming. Ended up replacing with a 800w EVGA and never had the problem again. Ugh. The power usage estimates are just plain wrong.