Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

sneakyfrog posted:

way to go apple jesus

Please don't besmirch the name of Apple Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Azhais posted:

As someone that formerly admined hundredds of macs, Apple has absolutely no interest in security

And strangely iOS is praised by the infosec community

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SpacePig posted:

Please don't besmirch the name of Apple Jesus.

eh, he dont care, he's dead.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

geonetix posted:

And strangely iOS is praised by the infosec community

That was a decade ago, maybe they changed, but as of Tiger it was a massive annoyance to get them up to DoD compliance while also allowing them to still function. So much of that OS depended on world writable system directories.

Or maybe infosec likes them because they're so easy to break into :v:

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Shifty Nipples posted:

Fire marshall Bill.

Fire Marshal Bill Burns!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
MacOS is a safe neighbourhood.

It took weeks for anyone to find that the door was unlocked.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

hey how is your mom by the way

Nice self own!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Every human in this video is a complete idiot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

zakharov posted:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.theonion.com/the-onion-has-obtained-exclusive-information-from-jai-1820808638

The Onion has jumped on O’Keefe’s misfortune.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

zakharov posted:

Except the lady telling her husband/boyfriend to let the bear have the steaks.

Also I loved the orangutan dragging the younger one like any parent who has a toddler.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

The mods being used directly alter the code loaded into memory (and perhaps on disk, but thats less likely). Epic Games is asserting copyright on the code, which is also the basis of the takedown notices on YouTube.

Also, kids can very much be sued and can also enter contracts. However, as a dependent minor, the parents will probably end up on the hook for any judgements in Epic Games's favor.

Yeah, Mom made a huge loving mistake there. She needs to shut up and lawyer up for the kid right now.

Not a lawyer and they sound like dicks, but wouldn't Galoob v. Nintendo mean that the code modification is legal?

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Reporter confronting a squatter gets axed to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddLZmYVCVnA

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Definitely not a troll, it worked on my system (fixed now). But it's such a massive hole and so patently easy to check that it's almost unimaginable that it could get through.

For a while, didn't microsoft recommend not setting a windows password (if your PC was secured in your house, or similar) because there was a big issue with people inadvertently (or maliciously, via malware) allowing remote access to their PC, which hilariously, doesn't work if your PC doesn't have an windows password set, thus thwarting the attack?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
threadtitle.gif

On the bright side it looks like he's taken himself out of the gene pool before he even had the chance to go wading.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

MacOS is a safe neighbourhood.

It took weeks for anyone to find that the door was unlocked.

Yep.

No one wanted to go there. But in MacOS' defense your first layer of security is physical.

Don't let anyone fool around with your MBP and you survived today.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the razzle dazzle walk.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm the razzle dazzle walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIlGJXcCUe8

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Oddhair posted:

Fire Marshal Bill Burns!

Cheers!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Oddhair posted:

Fire Marshal Bill Burns!

Oh cool I had completely forgotten that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DC to Daylight posted:

Not a lawyer and they sound like dicks, but wouldn't Galoob v. Nintendo mean that the code modification is legal?

That predates the DMCA.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Drone_Fragger posted:

For a while, didn't microsoft recommend not setting a windows password (if your PC was secured in your house, or similar) because there was a big issue with people inadvertently (or maliciously, via malware) allowing remote access to their PC, which hilariously, doesn't work if your PC doesn't have an windows password set, thus thwarting the attack?
Yeah you had (and maybe still do??) to explicitly set a password for an account for it to be accessible remotely. So it was better to leave it blank, than set it to "password", especially if it was in a physically safe location.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BovineFury posted:

Reporter confronting a squatter gets axed to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddLZmYVCVnA

The aftermath - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0QVNWVcbc which is rife with shootyfreud.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

This one is so good

https://twitter.com/md_jubes/status/935680060069240832

(uploaded it to my account, the other one gave away the joke in case you had the same brain freeze he had)

orange sky has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Nov 29, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://i.imgur.com/tXSqvxx.gifv

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

syscall girl posted:

Yep.

No one wanted to go there. But in MacOS' defense your first layer of security is physical.

Don't let anyone fool around with your MBP and you survived today.

Every goober that "tested" this today, self owned.

Apple hosed up hard. They did the best practice of shipping the OS with root disabled, but then they left the password as NULL. If they had set it to a random value, this never could have happened. It's crazy bad.

Just go here and enable root, set a password, then disable root. There's zero need for root to be active. You should be doing admin with sudo, or authenticating with the OS via the GUI.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012

EDIT: Yeah, I just test that poo poo. DON'T DISABLE. Enable root and set the password, and leave it at that for now. Apparently, disabling root clears the password back to NULL because Apple employs a bunch of idiots.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Nov 29, 2017

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Remember the Milk had a bad day.

quote:

Our data center have, for some reason, removed all our web servers. We're shouting at them.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I am legit impressed this guy didn't accidentally lunge for the phone and plunge to his death

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Elkyrie posted:

that's a good way to gently caress up your sack

What sucks is that, on the shock of impact with the pool coping, that poor kid took in a huge lungful of air/water. Mostly water.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

DC to Daylight posted:

There's also the fact that, outside of someone choosing to play with you, a game genie doesn't affect a multiplayer experience. Whereas using mods in an online game certainly does, and making the game less fun to play means less people buy it which means you're cutting into their income.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

orange sky posted:

This one is so good

(uploaded it to my account, the other one gave away the joke in case you had the same brain freeze he had)

This is like, loving wholesome schadenfreude. I love it.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

orange sky posted:

This one is so good

I asked my wife the exact same questions after watching this video and she ended up just like him!

I'm crying from laughing soo much oh my god.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

he's the coach of a really, really bad football team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7VKQwDS2s

I don't know poo poo about football. What the gently caress kind of play was this supposed to be?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My grandfather used to do a really similar one to everyone he'd meet

"What does M-A-C-D-O-N-A-L-D spell?"
"MacDonald."
"Right. What does M-A-C-A-L-L-A-N spell?"
"MacAllan."
"Okay, what does M-A-C-C-R-E-A-D-Y spell?"
"MacCready."
"Great. What does M-A-C-H-I-N-E spell?"

and while it's obvious when written out, nearly everyone says something that sounds like "MacHiney?" and gets stuck just like that dude

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kurieg posted:

There's also the fact that, outside of someone choosing to play with you, a game genie doesn't affect a multiplayer experience. Whereas using mods in an online game certainly does, and making the game less fun to play means less people buy it which means you're cutting into their income.

Please clarify cheat mods. I used to play stuff like Left4Dead/Left4Dead 2 with a ton of mods that offered me no game advantages at all, but were very amusing to me.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't know poo poo about football. What the gently caress kind of play was this supposed to be?

IIRC the plan was to confuse the other team and get them to step over the line of scrimmage and get them a penalty. They weren't actually going to try to run a play. However the guy with the football was a newbie and didn't know what the plan was, so he gave the ball to the unguarded quarterback who immediately ate poo poo.

U-DO Burger has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Nov 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
LOL @ the apple bug..

Tried it on my Macbook with a fresh High Sierra install.. It does work. Takes 2-3 tries, but it does unlock and work.

Far as I can tell it works on most of the admin account request prompts.