Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Is that Amelia Estevez’s plane?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is that Amelia Estevez’s plane?

Looks like a Wildcat and two Devastators from the Lexington wreck.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kesper North posted:

I had no idea this existed. It's an F-15 with canards. Glorious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15_STOL/MTD

Clearly you haven't played enough Ace Combat.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cat Hatter posted:

Clearly you haven't played enough Ace Combat.

An ace canard!

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

OWLS! posted:

A reminder that more soviet things were driven by political considerations than you'd think. Things like deadlines for space launches, test flights, battle victories, were often shifted around to take place on a particularly notable date. Like Stalin's Birthday. Or the whichever anniversary of the revolution. etc etc.

That's true. In fairness, Soviet combat performance should be negatively assessed because of the possibility of top political mandates.

I want to touch on this argument for a second, from the Forczyk introduction. (Thanks for the title, I was looking for new history to read)

quote:

A cult of German tank-worshippers has arisen and its members are now firmly entrenched in their belief that all German tanks (meaning their beloved Tiger and Panther series) were better than any Soviet tanks and that the Red Army’s tank forces only prevailed because of numerical superiority. There is a grain of truth in this argument, which was fostered by German veterans seeking to perpetuate the Third Reich’s propaganda-line that the victory of the Red Army’s ‘barbarian hordes’ was due to mass, not skill.

In the end, it doesn't matter if the Soviets won by drowning the Panzers in a weight of T-34s. The Soviets planned for a massed industrialized war, a war of massed war machines and optimized war economy. The Nazis completely failed to optimize their economy for industrial war, a fact which should weigh heavily against any assessment of German military superiority. There is altogether too much focus on kill/death ratio, as if that is the only metric of military efficiency. It isn't and fixation on kill / death ratio should be seen as what it is, whining from the losing side.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jago posted:

Is that camera movement a trick or is the plane really going backwards? What does the airspeed indicator say? Does the thrust vectoring and thrust/weight ratio mean that stalls aren't an issue?

Presumably 0 because there'd be no air flowing into the pitot tube. The GPS should correct any INS errors due to that one.

And I believe that is an angle of attack over 90 degrees. The trick is to design an aircraft that can do that without deep stalling. For example the F-16 could do some of the high thrust to weight tricks if it didn't enter a very difficult to recover from deep stall at extreme angles of attack.

Note the giant parachute on the F-16 vista that was a test bed for thrust vectoring:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 6, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHP0qUreiDQ

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

That's probably juuuuuuust deep enough for it to be spared the fate of the Prince of Wales.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Blistex posted:

That's probably juuuuuuust deep enough for it to be spared the fate of the Prince of Wales.

Uhh, the Lexington is under 2 miles of water, the Prince of Wales is under 223 feet. Pretty sure no one's going to be carting Lady Lex' propellers off for scrap any time soon.

What's really interesting to me is her location - I guess they were looping around south to avoid Japanese forces to come up into Port Moresby?

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 7, 2018

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I love how the repulse article starts with “on land you wouldn’t pillage graves” bitch please if dragging out a tank from a kursk monument would net a profit of $400k+ with practically zero chance of getting caught there’d be a queue of grave robbers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It also ignores how almost every massively valuable tomb on land has been looted. If not, it's usually because it was too well-hidden.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Valtonen posted:

“on land you wouldn’t pillage graves”

fuckin' :lol:

There's an entire arm of anthropology for pillaging graves. It's called Egyptology.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I have a hard time getting worked up about what essentially amounts to recycling

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah they use to use mummies as fuel source for trains in Egypt during colonial rule.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
That was Peru. Egyptian mummies went for paint, mostly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Memento posted:

fuckin' :lol:

There's an entire arm of anthropology for pillaging graves. It's called Egyptology.

gently caress they do it right now with ww2 graves and battlefields. There are all sorts of pics Online from “amateur archeologists” digging up battlefields in Eastern Europe and more than a few of those things end up sold.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You don't even have to literally loot the graves to do it figuratively. See: all the good CoD/Battlefield* games, an entire shitload of war movies, an entire shitload of war books, etc that I forgot but exists.

* Never played it but apparently BF2142 owned so I gave it an asterisk.

E: I'm an idiot and forgot about CoD MW and BF3/4 being 'near future', but I think the point holds up despite my stupidity.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 7, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Hauldren Collider posted:

I have a hard time getting worked up about what essentially amounts to recycling

It's not exactly looting your grandma's grave to get at her phosphates/bone marrow/tooth fillings, but it feels like that.

And we're still history peeps, and as such, we'd prefer if historical wrecks or whatever weren't recycled into fidget spinners or whatever.

Hooo boy, that exhaust plume.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Why are the Greeks holding onto their Phantoms? DO they do anything better than the F-16s? There aren't even that many of em, just 34 total left in active service, so I can't imagine it's for the quantity.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
30-odd jets doesn't seem like such a trivial number for a non-US country.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

Why are the Greeks holding onto their Phantoms? DO they do anything better than the F-16s? There aren't even that many of em, just 34 total left in active service, so I can't imagine it's for the quantity.
Because they have literally zero money and 34 phantoms is better than zero something else.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

What a beautiful plane.

Also there's a Tomcat in the photo but you can't have everything.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
F-18s to compete on next season's Drag Race.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Canted stores are the stupidest thing I swear

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I fully admit that I am speaking from a distant position but I feel like if I died in a war contraption I'd want some enterprising guy to make as much money off of salvaging it as possible regardless of what my rotting corpse might be doing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Do we have some visualization of the airflow around a loaded SHornet?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cat Mattress posted:

Do we have some visualization of the airflow around a loaded SHornet?

Something something sheet of plywood something something afterburners.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

Something something sheet of plywood something something afterburners.

After watching an F-5 take off, a nearly-clean Rhino looks like a lumbering C-5 even on an AB takeoff.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bewbies posted:

I fully admit that I am speaking from a distant position but I feel like if I died in a war contraption I'd want some enterprising guy to make as much money off of salvaging it as possible regardless of what my rotting corpse might be doing.

Generally speaking it’s also lovely from a historians perspective. Ignoring the war graves aspect we can learn a lot from those wrecks and if nothing else they’re a valuable touchstone for getting people interested in history. Gettysburg probably has more ultimate utility as a bunch of farms and may e a Walmart parking lot but it has a lot of social value as a battlefield. Wrecks aren’t as accessible as a field in Pennsylvania of course but poo poo like recorded dives and the subsequent documentaries movies etc help. See: every normal person who knows way more about a relatively insignificant 1912 North Atlantic maritime disaster than you would expect in tyool 2018.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Cyrano4747 posted:

relatively insignificant 1912 North Atlantic maritime disaster

What timeline are you posting from, and is it one where Putin isn't trying to murder people in Britain using nerve agents?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sperglord Actual posted:

What timeline are you posting from, and is it one where Putin isn't trying to murder people in Britain using nerve agents?

I fail to see the correlation between the two events.

The sinking of the Titanic is inconsequential unless you’re studying the history of civilian maritime regulation and naval architecture; which nobody in their right mind would do.

:smith:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I just reread Fire Lance and if nobody’s going to do a Let’s Read I might have to. It’s the sort of thing I’d hate to leave half-done, though, so I might draft some posts and see how they turn out.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FrozenVent posted:

I fail to see the correlation between the two events.

The sinking of the Titanic is inconsequential unless you’re studying the history of civilian maritime regulation and naval architecture; which nobody in their right mind would do.

:smith:

Naval architecture is a slightly obscure but noble pursuit

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dear Canadian friends: Pour yourself a nice stiff drink before clicking

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

General Battuta posted:

I just reread Fire Lance and if nobody’s going to do a Let’s Read I might have to. It’s the sort of thing I’d hate to leave half-done, though, so I might draft some posts and see how they turn out.

do you have it in electronic format? I just have the paperback I bought in 1989 at a B Dalton bookstore.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

my understanding is that naval architecture is 10,000 unbroken years of tossing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Can someone do an effort post of USN (or just naval in general) ship classes?

Cause I sure as poo poo can't figure out what on Poseidon Blue Oceans a Frigate is supposed to be able to do that isn't already covered about 80-90% by a Destroyer or 60%+ by a Cruiser?

Why the poo poo does the USN need new Frigates when they've got (aging) Tico Cruisers the Arleigh Destroyers and the Freedom class (these are Frigates, right?? :confused:) let's not bring up the Zumwalts

Like... Outer, outer picket ASW patrol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Smiling Jack posted:

do you have it in electronic format? I just have the paperback I bought in 1989 at a B Dalton bookstore.

There is no other format, as far as I can tell :v: I've got a paperback too, got it used off Amazon.