Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Wait until he find the 360 NoScope item and angrily demands a refund

KB+M is the superior way to play Gungeon anyways. The minimal precision lost on tiny degrees of movement is far outweighed by the unparalleled accuracy and tracking of a mouse cursor in that game. And if you really need to use a controller due to idk the hand cuffs around your wrists, you can even set the degree of aim assist in your config options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Ripper DLC for AC:Syndicate is surprisingly good but it does have some odd bits like:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Wait, you play as Jack the Ripper in that one? Neat!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bony tony posted:

Wait, you play as Jack the Ripper in that one? Neat!

Yeah a handful of missions in the DLC are played from Jack's perspective.

I really liked the DLC overall because it felt like an actual response and follow-up to the main game Characters have changed, London has changed, and the mechanics have a lot of clever twists on those in the original. It's still got AC's normal problems (including a few that the main game partially addressed) but it was a good followup to Syndicate.

It's just weird that they don't want Jack killing civilians, especially given the way the Ripper missions are structured.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hey, Horizon Zero Dawn, maybe don't make a point of having fights against powerful flying enemies when the camera absolutely can't handle fighting things that are above you. The camera can't look all the way up so you're boned if the enemy's directly above you, and even when they're further away you often end up with bushes and grass obscuring your view.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Hey, Horizon Zero Dawn, maybe don't make a point of having fights against powerful flying enemies when the camera absolutely can't handle fighting things that are above you. The camera can't look all the way up so you're boned if the enemy's directly above you, and even when they're further away you often end up with bushes and grass obscuring your view.

I found Glinthawks way more annoying than Stormbirds.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I really don't like 3rd person shooting/action games. Like some are ok, but once you get into multi player modes, it's terrible trying to aim (yeah I know the benifit is being able to see around cover or for platforming).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

The camera in HZD is the only major weak point in the game. It’s so bad about having bushes obscure your view completely.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The camera is usually a weak point of a third-person fast action game, moreso if the action takes place in any tight spaces or height plays a factor or they want to keep the character on-screen always. On that last point it's always funny to me that third-person games like Ghost build in a function for switching the camera sides when aiming because the problem of the character blocking the player's view seems like it would be better solved by removing the character with transparency or zooming in farther to just their hands and weapon so it's briefly first-person.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Perestroika posted:

This is just one of many reasons that the only way to fight these things is to shoot them with approximately all of the harpoons in the world. The camera can't struggle to look up if the enemy Is tethered to the ground with so many ropes it looks like it crawled under a hammock.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

rydiafan posted:

This is just one of many reasons that the only way to fight these things is to shoot them with approximately all of the harpoons in the world. The camera can't struggle to look up if the enemy Is tethered to the ground with so many ropes it looks like it crawled under a hammock.

Was there another way to fight those fuckers?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Perestroika posted:

This is a problem with the engine - everything behind the field of view more or less ceases to exist as the camera moves, so putting it straight up does wacky and unintended things.

Not that that makes fighting things in the air any less annoying. A serious case of not designing around your engine limitations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Wasn't it a thing in the first 3D Zeldas that nothing ever hit you behind in the overworld because it didn't exist?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's weird, because Death Stranding is made in the same engine and it can handle looking up. (I tilted the camera up to see if they modeled rain falling on the "microphone", which it sort of does.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In Death Stranding's case it's not the same engine as it was worked on by a different team from Guerilla from 2016 up until 2019. Horizon was in 2017 and it technically started on the same engine as that Killzone game nobody remembers from 2013.

e.g someone uses the copy device from The Prestige to make an exact double of themselves. One of them becomes an Aid worker abroad while the other holds a dead-end job in a jam factory who posts racist memes on reddit. After a while they're two different people with little crossover. I'm not good with the analogies.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Aug 22, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Death Stranding also includes a homemade solution to some camera issues. You have a radar on your left shoulder that detects enemies, but since Sam is on the right side of the screen you can't really see it when you have a big wiggly box stack. To get around that you used to have to click the stick to swap shoulders or play camera twister constantly to see the thing. The first major patch addressed this by making your backpack and cargo see through when you're in enemy territory and it's blocking the radar scanner.

Edit: what I'm saying I guess is that camera issues like that are a case by case basis kind of thing, usually it's up to the individual devs to work out a solution.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i remember Killzone: Shadow Fall :negative:

but yeah it's the roughtest KZ since the first one and really feels like Guerrilla were cutting their teeth on Decima before moving onto Horizon.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The gamingbrit did a video of the series. His opinion is that it sort of peaked at 2, and he found the premise of Shadowfall incredibly contrived. I don't know of anyone who remembers much of the series or wants another installment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko8WgF0XVLc

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The only Killzone I really played was on the Vita and it was weirdly, surprisingly good

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I always got Killzone and Resistance: Fall of Man confused for some reason.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having experienced all of the Killzone games through guesting on a certain someone's let's plays throughout the years, I can safely say that the Killzone franchise rules from start to finish- with the asterisk that the aiming looks pretty sluggish and I'd prefer a mouse were I to play 'em myself.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Killzone 2 is real good as a pure shooter. i think it's the closest we have to a modern sequel to Black. super satisfying to play and the world is really interesting. Overall though i think Mercenary was a far better game and is my fav of the series. if it wasnt Vita exclusive i think it wouldve done much better

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Eclipse12 posted:

Git gud

No, seriously, the game works just fine with k+m and also supports XBox controllers. I 100% the game using a keyboard. It sounds like you're mad because you were playing a game for the first time and somehow weren't instantly perfect???

Also, you finding the crutch item at that time was just a coincidence. You're getting angry at jokey item descriptions lol

Gungeon has a lot of questionable design decisions, but like most twinstick roguelikes controller usually feels more comfortable until you get used to KB/M. Once you do, though, it's really hard to go back to the controller.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sally posted:

i remember Killzone: Shadow Fall :negative:

but yeah it's the roughtest KZ since the first one and really feels like Guerrilla were cutting their teeth on Decima before moving onto Horizon.

I remember that someone started doing a let's play of that game

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's a work in progress... not abandoned, but delayed

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Eclipse12 posted:

Buying games you've never played before and the Complete edition is the only/cheapest option available.

As soon as you start the new game:

SEASON 7 PASS NOW AVAILABLE! Check store page for details!

Content Unlocked! 37 DLC Weapons added
Content Unlocked! New Campaign added "Here We Go Again"
Content Unlocked! New Difficulty Mode: Kill Me Dead
Content Unlocked! New Player XP multiplier 10x 6d23h59m

Community Challenge! Complete the "Harder They Fall" bounty: 15,715/20,000 4d5h13m

New Outfit Available!
New Outfit Available!

$100,000,000 credits added to account

New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available

I haven't even started the tutorial and already my HUD and minimap is crammed full of nonsense :confused:

Games that don't organically integrate their DLC content are awful. Sleeping Dogs had a similar issue where you would start the game and be rewarded with so many boosts and bonuses that you had no reason to actually do any of the side content because your cop/criminal exp would be maxed and you'd have all of the skills and everything plus infinite top tier weapons and vehicles. Of course "Just Don't Use Them" is an option, but that's harder to do when you can't not use the exp you're given.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
At least the Handsome Jack Collection: Borderland 2 only starts with a few mildly useful tools but nothing gamebreaking - a couple of slightly above average (for the start of the game) guns that quickly get outclassed, a boost that allows rare items to drop more frequently and the DLC locations being added to the fast travel system. It doesn't break the game, it just gives you a couple of options.

Speaking of borderlands 2: it just did something annoying - I was trying to get the power core to get into Sanctuary, but because I died trying to kill 20 bandits and had to run a long way to get back, it despawned the core so I have to reload the game, which apparently fixes it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The GOTY Edition for Shadow of Mordor was especially bad about this because getting the most out of that game’s systems involved regularly dying and the OP DLC weapon runes more or less trivialized the entire first map.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sleeping Dogs did it right by hiding the red envelopes full of ~a few thousand dollars apiece around the game world so you had to seek them out on at least the first playthrough, and then did it wrong by giving you several levels in triad and police EXP for free for no reason from the start of the game. Thankfully you can now disable individual DLCs on Steam for most modern games so it's not a big deal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spiritfarer is a super cute game about being a psychopomp but uh, spoilerthe lady with Alzheimers a) raises a weird idea of their being alzheimers even when you are dead and b) you just kind of euthanize her.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Aug 24, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Remember having to upgrade my PC just to get sleeping dogs to work, it would crash during that opening chase sequence. I'm glad I did because that game ruled, I had more fun crashing/jumping cars in that than any GTA game just because it felt like you weren't supposed to be able to do it. I kept landing next to a pork bun stall and would trigger their comments about my sexy shoulders after landing the most ridiculous stunt.

That game had a lot of weird things going on, I found out later that a lot of content was either removed or never finished, so loads of systems in the game were just broken.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Spiritfarer is a super cute game about being a psychopomp
Mind spoiler tagging that the rest? It's only been out for like four days.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Aug 23, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mind spoiler tagging that? It's only been out for like four days.

I can’t tell if this is a joke or not.

E:Oh, the stuff outside the quote. I thought this was someone misremembering what a psychopomp is and thinking that was a spoiler.

The new PGA game is fun but holy hell when you mess up a swing it always ends up putting you into double or triple bogey territory. You never gently caress up a LITTLE, it’s always “the ball is a water seeking missile now”

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Aug 23, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think they meant the rest of the post, not the first ten words. The rest sounds like a pretty big spoiler

EDIT: Never mind, just saw your edit

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

e: you'd think by now I knew quote wasn't edit

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

On the subject of dementia/alzheimer's in video games I thought it was poorly handled in Ghost of Tsushima where you come across that old lady who teaches you how to make poison darts then slips into total senility over the course of like 3 sidequests. I could see what they were going for but maybe think about how players are most likely gonna do all those quests all in a row if you let them. It turned what could have been a tragic and gradual decline into "welp here I am your old caretaker that you've never seen or heard of before 20 hours into the game, whoops now I can't remember anything and I'm dead, have fun raiding the castle." Comical.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The best depiction of dementia in video games is the Dark Souls series, especially Dark Souls 2.

You just don't realize that's what they're going for at first.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

On the subject of dementia/alzheimer's in video games I thought it was poorly handled in Ghost of Tsushima where you come across that old lady who teaches you how to make poison darts then slips into total senility over the course of like 3 sidequests. I could see what they were going for but maybe think about how players are most likely gonna do all those quests all in a row if you let them. It turned what could have been a tragic and gradual decline into "welp here I am your old caretaker that you've never seen or heard of before 20 hours into the game, whoops now I can't remember anything and I'm dead, have fun raiding the castle." Comical.

Yeah, I'm not sure why she didn't just have it to begin with.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

rydiafan posted:

its all fun and games until the glinthawk breaks free after taking sufficient damage

Len posted:

Was there another way to fight those fuckers?

fire arrows are your friend against glinthawks

tap em with a triple nocked fire arrows, instantly fill up their heat gauge, and while they're fluttering helplessly to the ground hit them with hardpoints/spear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

The best depiction of dementia in video games is the Dark Souls series, especially Dark Souls 2.

You just don't realize that's what they're going for at first.
I'm not sure if it was intended, but I really like the idea that in DS2 your character spends decades at least wandering as a mindless hollow between areas until they reach an important/dangerous place, which brings them back into sentience, explaining the massive distances you seem to just kind of travel without explanation