Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

all the ladies say I
Aug 24, 2005

Acción de Espionaje Táctico
Edit: nm the post above had this in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

inthesto posted:

How much would it help EK to ease the magic school restriction? Say, one school must be Abjuration or Evocation, and the other is free choice?

It's kind of difficult for reasons stated previously as well because EK is one of the few subclasses that runs into trouble mechanically casting spells. They don't get an arcane focus (without the attuned item in Xanathar's Guide), so depending on how rules lawyer you or DM's are, War Caster feat becomes a tax, and/or some spells still require you to drop your weapon so that you have hands available to cast.

DKWildz fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 2, 2018

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
The next adventure is Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. Focuses on urban adventures, obviously.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/01/waterdeep-dragon-heist-is-dungeons-dragons-next-storyline/

Meh.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

It's funny to me because the current campaign I'm playing in revolves around the Xanathar guild plus Waterdeep, and we had to steal a dragon :v:

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

Shitshow posted:

The next adventure is Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. Focuses on urban adventures, obviously.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/01/waterdeep-dragon-heist-is-dungeons-dragons-next-storyline/

Meh.

Is Waterdeep not warded against Dragon's still? Bad mouth feel from the title of this. Honestly, I was really hoping for Undermountain.

DKWildz fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 2, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like the concept but boy that name could have used a view revisions

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Haven't they learned anything from videogames? They're supposed to call it Dragon's Heists.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
How do you all feel about racial bonus stats? I think it kind of sucks that it makes some race/class combos so subpar. I think it would be cool if in the future it was changed to +1/+1 then you get to choose where the third stat poont goes. That way you keep the race's flavour but you can put the point in your main stat and get 16 in it with point buy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CJ posted:

How do you all feel about racial bonus stats? I think it kind of sucks that it makes some race/class combos so subpar. I think it would be cool if in the future it was changed to +1/+1 then you get to choose where the third stat poont goes. That way you keep the race's flavour but you can put the point in your main stat and get 16 in it with point buy.

That's why only certain races should be able to be certain classes

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

mastershakeman posted:

:biotruths:

Everyone should just get +2/+1 wherever they want and then a ribbon ability. Your race should be about RP and the texture of a character, not its relative mechanical advantages.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

mango sentinel posted:

Everyone should just get +2/+1 wherever they want and then a ribbon ability. Your race should be about RP and the texture of a character, not its relative mechanical advantages.

Somebody said it before, but I'd be completely okay with ditching ability scores and just having ability modifiers, you get +3/+2/+2/+1/0/-1 and each race gets some kinda special mechanic that doesn't directly alter those. Maybe have mechanics that suggest specialization (High Elves get an Int-powered cantrip, dragonborn get a Con-based breath weapon) but don't strongly enforce it.

Hell, that's not even a difficult homebrew to make. I might just do that in the future.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

mango sentinel posted:

I can dig that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Josef bugman posted:

I am one short atm.

Without 15 strenght you take a 10ft movement penalty on the good armors (unless you're a dwarf). If you have 14 dex just stick to medium.

You can't multiclass into cleric unless you have 13 wisdom, anyway.

What is even your race/spread?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mango sentinel posted:

except everyone plays their race as a short/skinny/large/extra short human anyways so why even bother with races

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

mastershakeman posted:

except everyone plays their race as a short/skinny/large/extra short human anyways so why even bother with races

i agree, and same for classes. you should have one race, you can be ranged or melee, and you get assigned stats based on that one choice

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

mastershakeman posted:

Good point. This is why it’s also Extremely Good and Cool to allow the various non-PHB races, and to homebrew non-human PHB races to be much more weird and alien, rather than thinly-reflavored variants of humans, or Tolkien ripoffs.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

CeallaSo posted:

Somebody said it before, but I'd be completely okay with ditching ability scores and just having ability modifiers, you get +3/+2/+2/+1/0/-1 and each race gets some kinda special mechanic that doesn't directly alter those. Maybe have mechanics that suggest specialization (High Elves get an Int-powered cantrip, dragonborn get a Con-based breath weapon) but don't strongly enforce it.

Hell, that's not even a difficult homebrew to make. I might just do that in the future.

I do like how SotDL does it (what else is new?) in that which is this except they are offset from 10 instead of 0, so they double as the DC for attack rolls against those stats.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

mastershakeman posted:

Extremely bad take.

Honestly a whole +1 difference to relevant ability scores isn't that big a deal especially since ability score penalties are no longer a thing and reduces the potential gap in effectiveness. Balance discussions in D&D that revolve around extremely minor number differences is missing the forest for the trees. It's worrying that your elf fighter with 15 strength could be a dwarf fighter with 16 strength when the real issue is that you could instead be an elf wizard with an army of skeletons or the power to reshape reality.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Saguaro PI posted:

Honestly a whole +1 difference to relevant ability scores isn't that big a deal especially since ability score penalties are no longer a thing and reduces the potential gap in effectiveness. Balance discussions in D&D that revolve around extremely minor number differences is missing the forest for the trees. It's worrying that your elf fighter with 15 strength could be a dwarf fighter with 16 strength when the real issue is that you could instead be an elf wizard with an army of skeletons or the power to reshape reality.

Although didn't someone do the math and figure that an elf barbarian was like 40% shittier than a dwarf barbarian around level 8 or so, based on average damage dealt?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I feel like the right play is to tie ability score bonuses to your chosen class and just give neat features to the various races. So rangers and monks get +2/+1 Dex/Wis, for example.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

bewilderment posted:

Although didn't someone do the math and figure that an elf barbarian was like 40% shittier than a dwarf barbarian around level 8 or so, based on average damage dealt?
Honestly this part is easy enough for the DM to workaround - it's not a huge deal. Like no one should design their game that way on purpose but it's no showstopper. They get a +1 weapon, it's done, it's a <2x multiplier to damage. Comparatively, trying to balance any damage number against the literal god spellcasters is nigh-impossible.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Okay here's my new fix - get rid of mental ability scores. Spells use strength. Every character wants all 3 and gets one high, one middle, one low. Squint really hard and maybe you can figure out why something is a con vs a str save.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Stripping races of mechanical advantages starts off seeming fine when you're talking about elves and dwarves and whatnot but gets tricky when you're talking about something like dragonborn or aarakocra.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Saguaro PI posted:

Stripping races of mechanical advantages starts off seeming fine when you're talking about elves and dwarves and whatnot but gets tricky when you're talking about something like dragonborn or aarakocra.

I mean, "can breathe fire" and "can fly" are pretty nice mechanical advantages that don't make them lovely at specific classes.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Saguaro PI posted:

Get rid of those races then imo

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

King of Solomon posted:

I mean, "can breathe fire" and "can fly" are pretty nice mechanical advantages that don't make them lovely at specific classes.

Again, if the standard for something being lovely at a class is that their max possible point buy stat is 15 instead of 16 I think we've moved past the realm of useful balance discussion.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

If it comes with powers it sounds like a class to me. Bird warrior... solid class with powers based around flight. Dragonborn... I've got just the sorcerer archetype.

No reason they can't coexist with the simple race/class pairs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blockhouse posted:

I like the concept but boy that name could have used a view revisions

I assume it's because Waterdeep Undermountain is next.

Also someone is offering a crazy expensive boxed set for the game. https://www.beadleandgrimms.com/store-swag/platinum-edition

Anyway not going to buy that, but the Adventure sounds cool and I will check it out.

DKWildz posted:

Is Waterdeep not warded against Dragon's still? Bad mouth feel from the title of this. Honestly, I was really hoping for Undermountain.

It's really likely this is going to come in two parts.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If it comes with powers it sounds like a class to me. Bird warrior... solid class with powers based around flight. Dragonborn... I've got just the sorcerer archetype.

No reason they can't coexist with the simple race/class pairs.

Sure, you could make classes out of them, but specific powers like that are kinda exactly what I'd want races to be.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

Sure, you could make classes out of them, but specific powers like that are kinda exactly what I'd want races to be.
I'm not quite making a class out of them, I'm making them a race(can we call them ancestries?) plus a class, the former representing the species of the being you are playing as and the latter representing the powers they get from being that fancy species, instead of their normal (demi-)human class.

This works better in demon lord because each character chooses a race + 3 classes but the fancier ancestries subsume one of those so its fancy ancestry + 2 classes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 2, 2018

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
The whole "DM can choose the big bad villain at the beginning" smacks of the different giant factions you can fight in SKT. In that book they outline attacking one, but in reality, most people I have talked to end up having multiple assaults across at least 2 of the factions minimum. Hopefully it doesn't end up the same.

Prepare for some :emo: ahead:
We started a group at work ( Everyone is there, so it's rarer for someone to not show up ) with a dude who wanted to run Pathfinder. He's running the Strange Aeons adventure path, and after Book 1 he was like "I need a break". So I started up the Storm King's Thunder game I've been talking about. We ran through it for a while, till level 5, and the story actually started to talk about giants. Then went back to Pathfinder for the guys Book 2. We do that, finish it up an go back to D&D to do more of SKT.

Well yesterday, the other DM goes "Oh hey guys, I'm super excited to play Pathfinder again so we can start playing again as soon as possible, and we'll just burn through all of Book 3, then immediately 4, 5 and 6 because I think the story is super cool!"

Literally everyone else was like "Aren't we still playing D&D, we're kind of in the middle of this."

Apparently he saw D&D as a distraction and not a real campaign ( He is the only one who was against playing 5e and has derided it over his 'balanced' Pathfinder :rolleyes: whenever he could). At least 2 other people in the group were hoping to start their own campaigns and try out DM'ing, but were immediately like, "well gently caress I guess that's not happening."

This is the same guy who had a melt down at the end of his sessions for Book 2 because nobody else in the game was looking to play the meat grinder game he wanted, and was going to quit. So at least 2 of us were like... wtf? This guy apparently thinks that this is 'His" gaming group, and I know if I bring it up with him, he's just going to explode again about it. :sigh:

Anywho, this concludes my :emo: bitching about the group I play with, and well the one guy who makes it insufferable sometimes. He did however backpedal like mad like 10 minutes later as I can only assume someone pointed out how much of an rear end in a top hat he was being. We're apparently going to just finish SKT then he's planning on running the Pathfinder AP till it's done. We shall see. I fully expect for Pathfinder to crash and burn, due to his dm 'style' (Some would call it a rail road, I would call it a walking simulator with combat).

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

5E is the first and only edition that I've actually played. It's really weird to hear these stores from people that experience these 'meatgrinders,' or the DM's themselves that love to run them. I'm sure it's more the edition and generation of the game that you started with, and that initial group that imprints that mindset. I keep hearing that they think the game is too easy and they need to challenge the players more. Do they think the players aren't having fun, or is it that they aren't having fun when they're actually killing player characters?

Without any experience as a DM myself, but having run a couple weeks in Storm King's Thunder & Tomb of Annihilation in separate groups, it seems like there becomes a huge gap in feeling between DM's and players as far as fun and challenge. The DM in SKT put the 4 of us players through 3 successive fights vs 20 creatures of varying types. We managed without a death, but had several down's in the first and 3rd fight (easily surrounded on a small map with those huge numbers), but honestly I was sure we were not going to win at points in all 3 fights, and had a blast in each one and was looking forward to being able to spend some time in the town for RP afterwards.

It seems like in an adventure like these, if one were to run it as that 'meatgrinder,' you'd be losing characters so often that before long not a single original character that started the story is present, and at that point, what do these characters have in stake for continuing this story since none of them were even present for the thing that started all of it. It feels very odd to me, narratively.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Tome of Foes mentions that servants of Mammon often keep a book on them called The Accounting and Valuation of All Things, which has among other things, pricing information for mortal souls.

Supposing it was written in Infernal and you gave some sort of limitation with the book like decaying/fading away so the players aren't just bothering you with it forever, what fun/interesting thing might you put in there? Like the obvious choice is an abnormally high or low value for a particular individual's soul, information that someone has already sold theirs, etc., but I'm curious if anyone has any specific or different ideas.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Conspiratiorist posted:

Without 15 strenght you take a 10ft movement penalty on the good armors (unless you're a dwarf). If you have 14 dex just stick to medium.

You can't multiclass into cleric unless you have 13 wisdom, anyway.

What is even your race/spread?

Bear in mind I am not trying to just power game.

I am a Tiefling bladelock:

Str: 14
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 8
Wis 12
Cha 19

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Josef bugman posted:

Bear in mind I am not trying to just power game.

I am a Tiefling bladelock:

Str: 14
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 8
Wis 12
Cha 19

Well not with stats like those you won't.

Anyhow, +1 STR/WIS would let you dip Cleric, but if you're neglecting raising your CHA anyway, then just spend a Feat on Heavily Armored (which also raises your STR to 15 so no penalties) and that way you don't delay your class progression. That's your best option for more AC in this case.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Josef bugman posted:

Would getting a single level in Warrior be a better plan than going and getting the "Heavily Armoured" proficicency on my Warlock. It seems as if there are a lot more options if I did decide to get it as opposed to giving up a stat boost opportunity.
What level are you and is this AL?

If not AL, just ask your DM to not care about that.

If yes AL and under level 5 remake your character to be exactly the same character except with your first level in fighter.

e: woop new page. Post above me has the good answer.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 2, 2018

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Splicer posted:

What level are you and is this AL?

If not AL, just ask your DM to not care about that.

If yes AL and under level 5 remake your character to be exactly the same character except with your first level in fighter.

Just turned level 4, it's Tomb of annihilation, and it's the intro of my new character since my adorable kenku cleric of storms just got flung a mile by a goblin village.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 2, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Josef bugman posted:

Just turned level 4, it's Tomb of annihilation, and it's the intro of my new character since my adorable kenku cleric of storms just got flung a mile by a goblin village.
Do what Conspiratiorist said, which will knock you down to 17 cha 15 str, then go 18 cha 16 str at 8 (or pick up a +cha feat)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Or dump str put that 14 into dex and go medium armour like a normal person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Any good survival* mechanics that aren't just insufferable tedious bookkeeping? Planning on running a game exploring a lost (supposedly)uninhabited region after the game I'm currently running wraps up soon.

*The style of game, not the skill