Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Lambert and eskel do it too though

Young witchersnappers and their modern sense of fashion. Back in my day this hat was the height of fashion for men out to woo the lovely damsels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

either you can look fashionable or be more resistant to stabbing

imo fashion is the correct choice

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Is Thronebreaker any good? Are there rock trolls in it?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Is Thronebreaker any good? Are there rock trolls in it?

Yes it’s a wonderful game and all should play it!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Next game you play as Dudu in a social stealth game where you sometimes turn into Geralt to take contracts and make money.

You also turn into Dandelion here and there, and various sorceresses, and at one point will impersonate Radovid's ghost to scare some minister. In the interim bits you're avoiding witch finders all while trying to locate a hidden colony of dopplers with Dandelion and Zoltan's help. At the end of the game you come across both men on their way back from visiting Geralt in Toissant, at which point it's revealed you've been with the colony all along and they were impersonating those two and several other recurring characters, and getting you to do their dirty work because most dopplers are arseholes.

Game ends with Dudu riding off with the real Dandelion and Zoltan to go seek new adventure in Kaedwen or something.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Thronebreaker is great. It adds depth to gwent if you haven't tried the standalone version, has awesome card art & animations with a metric ton of quality voice acting that give life to characters you build a connection to as much as any witcher game.

The music is excellent. I'd buy it on the merits of the soundtrack alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw8dwlkJlts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxuwwUezv9k

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
It breaks my heart that more people didn't play Thronebreaker.

Big Jeb! Energy: Please play Thronebreaker

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

itry posted:

There's a mod for auto applying oil, or a mod for auto applying oils but only for monsters you have in your codex (apparently). The latter at least doesn't ignore the whole idea of preparing yourself before a monster hunt.

Any idea where I can find the latter variant of this? I've only been able to find blanket 'auto apply oils' mods.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Roach Warehouse posted:

Any idea where I can find the latter variant of this? I've only been able to find blanket 'auto apply oils' mods.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No, but there is one that makes you press a button, and only applies oils and equips bombs for creatures you have bestiary entries for.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4105

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

itry posted:

A helpful mod.

Thanks, must have missed that.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I need more red mutagen damnit. :mad:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

sean10mm posted:

I need more red mutagen damnit. :mad:

There's a mod for that too! :haw:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I thought Thronbreaker wasn't great and wasted my time a lot.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't much enjoy the Witcher show, didn't even finish it, but I cannot stop listening to Toss a Coin to Your Witcher. I feel like, yeah, you should toss a coin to your local witcher.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Norton the First posted:

I didn't much enjoy the Witcher show, didn't even finish it, but I cannot stop listening to Toss a Coin to Your Witcher. I feel like, yeah, you should toss a coin to your local witcher.

if you only got half way thats fine, but if you're a couple eps away id at least try finishing it

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For better or for worse, I think the end of Season 1 (last two episodes) retroactively makes all of the season better. Granted if you don't enjoy it you don't enjoy it. But there's a lot of storytelling decisions that only make sense in hindsight and, like the story or not, the showrunners knew what they were doing.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
As someone who has read the first 4-ish books (I kind of forgot where I left off and I recently started over--I'm on Blood of Elves now), played a little Gwent, but never played the main games... I think the series was enjoyable. I definitely didn't see it as flawless and there were a handful of things I strongly wish were handled differently, but it wasn't enough to stop me from watching it. I'm looking forward to season 2.

[edit] Someone said it either here or elsewhere, but this show has some of the charming elements I vaguely remember from the old Hercules/Xena TV shows.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 8, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

chaosapiant posted:

For better or for worse, I think the end of Season 1 (last two episodes) retroactively makes all of the season better. Granted if you don't enjoy it you don't enjoy it. But there's a lot of storytelling decisions that only make sense in hindsight and, like the story or not, the showrunners knew what they were doing.

I think a lot of people are so used to Prestige TV and high-level production values that if they see something that looks cheap, it's an automatic thumbs down on the whole thing. Not saying that's anyone here, but in terms of plotting for season 1, there's nothing there that's worse than the last 2ish seasons of Game of Thrones, for instance.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Look Sir Droids posted:

there's nothing that's worse than the last 2ish seasons of Game of Thrones

Yeah

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

but in terms of plotting for season 1, there's nothing there that's worse than the last 2ish seasons of Game of Thrones, for instance.

This is a very, very low bar to clear. It's less of a bar and more of a trench.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Look Sir Droids posted:

I think a lot of people are so used to Prestige TV and high-level production values that if they see something that looks cheap, it's an automatic thumbs down on the whole thing. Not saying that's anyone here, but in terms of plotting for season 1, there's nothing there that's worse than the last 2ish seasons of Game of Thrones, for instance.

A bad show can coast for awhile on the audience's goodwill of seeing characters they like doing cool things but that doesn't really work when you don't know the characters, lore, etc

There is no one alive who liked that big epic battle with Ciri's grandparents or whatever and not just because it looked cheap but it was all very "who is attacking? Why? What are the stakes? Who was that guy?" and while I could see the structure of an interesting story when Geralt butchers Blaviken it's so rushed and disjointed that you really have to cling to Henry Cavill doing a great job and his sick murdering skills to get any enjoyment out of it.

They should've started with 'Geralt does a job' and slowly introduced stuff from there which is basically what episode three was instead of throwing you into the deep end of bizarre politics and magic school.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I'll be honest, I don't hate the last two seasons of Game of Thrones. They're fantastic from a production side, and story side the biggest problem I have isn't the story itself, it's the lack of episodes that creates a feeling of teleporting armies and zero logistics for battles because everyone being everywhere at once seems dumb. But the actual events as they occurred, I did not have a problem with.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Jimmy Noskill posted:

Yeah, but most of the audience lapped it up.

chaosapiant posted:

I'll be honest, I don't hate the last two seasons of Game of Thrones. They're fantastic from a production side, and story side the biggest problem I have isn't the story itself, it's the lack of episodes that creates a feeling of teleporting armies and zero logistics for battles because everyone being everywhere at once seems dumb. But the actual events as they occurred, I did not have a problem with.

And also this.

What I mean is, production value has been a band-aid for a long time. I don't really have a problem with cheaper shows anymore because I recognize that and not everything has to be golden era TV.

Wolfsheim posted:

A bad show can coast for awhile on the audience's goodwill of seeing characters they like doing cool things but that doesn't really work when you don't know the characters, lore, etc

There is no one alive who liked that big epic battle with Ciri's grandparents or whatever and not just because it looked cheap but it was all very "who is attacking? Why? What are the stakes? Who was that guy?" and while I could see the structure of an interesting story when Geralt butchers Blaviken it's so rushed and disjointed that you really have to cling to Henry Cavill doing a great job and his sick murdering skills to get any enjoyment out of it.

They should've started with 'Geralt does a job' and slowly introduced stuff from there which is basically what episode three was instead of throwing you into the deep end of bizarre politics and magic school.

I don't disagree with that. I was pleased that the show got better as it went along and I think season 1 has structural problems that subsequent seasons won't have. In the sense that this season was knitting together a bunch of short stories and going forward they can plot out full novels.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I do think The Witcher season 1 is even better than GoT first two seasons, at least strictly from a production angle. You might not like Calanthe's battle against Nilfgaard, but no one seems to remember that the cool battle moments in season 1 of GoT were pretty much skipped entirely. No Battle of the Green Fork except for Tyrion getting knocked unconscious or Battle of the Whispering Wood except for Robb Stark riding out as a victor. Season 2 had the Battle of the Blackwater, but aside from some CGI explosions, that battle wasn't much better than anything in The Witcher.

I think folks are comparing The Witcher season 1 to the best of Game of Thrones seasons, because that's the freshest comparison to make.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

chaosapiant posted:

I do think The Witcher season 1 is even better than GoT first two seasons, at least strictly from a production angle. You might not like Calanthe's battle against Nilfgaard, but no one seems to remember that the cool battle moments in season 1 of GoT were pretty much skipped entirely. No Battle of the Green Fork except for Tyrion getting knocked unconscious or Battle of the Whispering Wood except for Robb Stark riding out as a victor. Season 2 had the Battle of the Blackwater, but aside from some CGI explosions, that battle wasn't much better than anything in The Witcher.

I think folks are comparing The Witcher season 1 to the best of Game of Thrones seasons, because that's the freshest comparison to make.

Yeah, I don't think Witcher has any comparison to GoT except for castles and swords. Standard fantasy trappings.

I do think seasons 2-3 were the high point of Game of Thrones. A lot of that had to do with well-developed characters and good dialog, not the overall plot and pacing.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Wolfsheim posted:

Or you can trust your audience to be paying attention to the dialogue, have a half decent working memory, and understand that all will be revealed in due course.

In this specific case you know the combatants from the discussion at the dinner party. You know Cintra is on the defensive, and when Eist and Calanthe reveal the kingdom will be lost of they lose the battle. The wider consequences will be revealed as the show moves on. The dinner party, the battle, and Eist death serve as the primer for episode 4 so the Pavetta's marriage dinner makes sense by introducing the cast first.

It's like saying Star Wars opening with a Star Destroyer blasting a small rebel ship is bad because they didn't have a long exposition other than an opening crawl. Who is the empire? Why are they so mean? Who is this dude choking people with magic?

I get the feeling that a lot of the criticism comes from people not paying attention to dialogue or details in the show. Ex the timeline thing is detailed out episode 3 when the mages talk in their meeting about Calanthe inheritaning the throne and being more agreeable to mages and when there is a child Foltest feeling up his sister right after they introduce a middle aged Foltest talking to Geralt who suspects him of incest earlier.

It's ok not to like the TV show, different strokes and all. But some of the criticism seems off or surface level.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I actually have seen more criticism of the show coming from people familiar with the source material than from newcomers. My friend groupchat is full of people who've never seen the games or read the books and they all liked it a lot.

Yeah there are always going to be idiots who don't actually watch the show and pay attention but most people do listen. How else will they be able to keep up with the watercooler discussions?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 8, 2020

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

MikeC posted:

Ex the timeline thing is detailed out episode 3
The timeline is touched on in the very first episode, even. In the Ciri time, Calanthe is mentioned to have achieved her first victory at Ciri's age. Then in the Geralt timeline, Renfri throws out a comment about how Calanthe just had her first victory. They hit on it a lot so hopefully at least one of the hints sticks for viewers.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

A good point. A lot of folks who know the source material are making an assumption that folks not familiar with it won't be able to follow it. And while some of those folks exist, everyone in my immediate circle understood it just fine, and weren't asking for time stamps or a more linear story. Folks who pay attention (assuming they're enjoying what they're watching) will feel rewarded when they realize the time jump stuff and then be even more rewarded whenever all ends meet in the last episodes.

The show runners produced a show that cannot accurately be judged without seeing the whole thing, which is a bold/brave/risky/stupid move, depending on the adjective you want to use. But it works.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 8, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's an interesting choice since the triple framing only really works for this season and the story becomes much more linear from here on out. I'm assuming they made it in such a way to encourage repeat viewings in case a second season wasn't a done deal, so they tried to make it a show to rewatch by sprinkling hints of past and future events in each episode like a jigsaw puzzle.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

chaosapiant posted:

A good point. A lot of folks who know the source material are making an assumption that folks not familiar with it won't be able to follow it. And while some of those folks exist, everyone in my immediate circle understood it just fine, and weren't asking for time stamps or a more linear story. Folks who pay attention (assuming they're enjoying what they're watching) will feel rewarded when the realize the time jump stuff and then be even more rewarded whenever all ends meet in the last episodes.

The show runners produced a show that cannot accurately be judged without seeing the whole thing, which is a bold/brave/risky/stupid move, depending on the adjective you want to use. But it works.

I have not read the books and I was not really following the whole Calanthe stuff or the timeline in episode one. But by episode three, I had it fully figured out. And not having full understanding in episodes 1-2 really did not matter at all. It's a complaint about the show that even if it's valid, it ultimately doesn't matter.

Edit: I think the triple timeline is there to accommodate working Ciri in to the show earlier. And Hissrich said she included Ciri in Season 1 so she doesn't come out of nowhere as this Very Important Person, and I agree with that approach.

VVVVV Yes, exactly.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 8, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's an interesting choice since the triple framing only really works for this season. I'm assuming they made it in such a way to encourage repeat viewings in case a second season wasn't a done deal, so they tried to make it a show to rewatch by sprinkling hints of past and future events in each episode like a jigsaw puzzle.

Based on some of the interviews i've read/watched with the show-runner Lauren, it looks like this (the time jumping) was the best way to introduce the three main characters all up front and explain who they are. And that makes sense with what we're shown.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

chaosapiant posted:

No Battle of the Green Fork except for Tyrion getting knocked unconscious or Battle of the Whispering Wood except for Robb Stark riding out as a victor

As much as those decisions were to help save budget, they were also accurate to the books at least. Those battles are seen in the exact same way there.

Granted, I know you know that as you are a Bad Thread denizen like myself.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's an interesting choice since the triple framing only really works for this season and the story becomes much more linear from here on out. I'm assuming they made it in such a way to encourage repeat viewings in case a second season wasn't a done deal, so they tried to make it a show to rewatch by sprinkling hints of past and future events in each episode like a jigsaw puzzle.

It was quite literally done so they could adapt the short stories, but still have Yen and Ciri be main characters. Without resorting to a bunch of flashbacks and such. The only other option would have been relegating those two to barely existing this season, or starting at Blood of Elves. The interview(s) chaosapiant is talking about with the showrunner goes into how hard a time she had figuring out how best to adapt it, while still making it clear from the beginning that those two were also the leads alongside Geralt.

I liked it, myself. But I'm also glad it won't be happening still next season.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 8, 2020

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

MikeC posted:

It's like saying Star Wars opening with a Star Destroyer blasting a small rebel ship is bad because they didn't have a long exposition other than an opening crawl. Who is the empire? Why are they so mean? Who is this dude choking people with magic?

It would be more like if we saw the Alderaan council talking about their hopes and dreams for twenty minutes before we get a long, poorly conveyed battle scene of them dying anyway and the story moving on to the characters you like. Wait....I'm describing the prequels. It was like watching the prequels.

I realize those characters are actually made interesting later during the banquet with Geralt but the only reason to not show that first is for the 'wow! timeline out of order!' which is...not that great of a reveal? Like the prophecy and all that is interesting enough to just kind of show it as-is rather than trying to do a Westworld switcheroo.

I think the reason I'm so harsh on it is that I went into W3 completely blind and was impressed by how well the game conveys its setting and major characters in the first twenty minutes: Geralt is a witcher, he hunts monsters and can do a little magic. He is having ominous dreams about his daughter and looking for his lost love during a war. The war is extremely hard on the peasants. You get enough to get a sense of place and become somewhat intrigued, and then the first 1-2 hours just kind of reiterates 'the war is bad and there are no good guys, there are crazy monsters, Geralt is a cool monster detective.'

And then...episode 3 is basically that! It's like the perfect introduction to the show, the world, etc. Its just such a weird misstep.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wolfsheim posted:

I realize those characters are actually made interesting later during the banquet with Geralt but the only reason to not show that first is for the 'wow! timeline out of order!' which is...not that great of a reveal? Like the prophecy and all that is interesting enough to just kind of show it as-is rather than trying to do a Westworld switcheroo.

It isn't a reveal or a switcheroo in this case, though. They establish it every episode, some ways more obviously than others (like seeing Foltest as an adult and as a child in the same episode). The fact it isn't treated as some grand twist or Westworld switcheroo is exactly why I like how The Witcher handled having two storylines told earlier than the other, tbh.

e: that said i totally get people not liking it. and i wouldn't have minded a more straightforward telling of the short stories, i probably woulda preferred it. but i already know going in that yen and ciri are the other two main characters. introducing them later could work extremely well for new viewers as well, but i get why they'd want to establish yen and ciri immediately for the tv show. though ciri's stuff was horribly paced imo. they should have fleshed out her life in cintra rather than her life on the run, or something, idk. they handled fleshing yen's backstory out much better.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 9, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I agree as I said in my first post in this thread the Witcher short stories' great strength is atmosphere. The plots aren't complicated, the world-building is in the background, the characters are fairly static. What the short stories nail is the sense of noir detective and high fantasy mashup. Geralt is a stoic loner who talks tough but has a heart of gold, and he's fallen into yet another curse to solve or monster contract to complete. There's probably going to be a standard fantasy setup with a noir style twist. Geralt will try to do what's right as events sweep him along.

All the stories more or less follow this structure. It's Snow White, but now the princess is back and ready to murder everyone between her and the evil queen. A fisherman pulls a genie's bottle out of the ocean, but there's a mysterious dame in town with an agenda that collides with Geralt's. Geralt gets hired to dispatch the Beast, but it's Belle who's been hunting humans for sport. Geralt is hired to off a Striga, but does more digging into the personal lives of the powerful than is good for him. Geralt is hired as a bodyguard for a party, but it turns out the easy gig is all a setup. Even the comedy episodes like The End of the World work like this, where Geralt is hard-up for work and takes a pointless joke of a case and somehow ends up getting kidnapped by terrorists.

I kinda wish these stories had more time to breathe.

Any excuse to post this anyway:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 9, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:yeah:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

God those are good. Make a Geralt detective game goddamit!

esperterra posted:

Granted, I know you know that as you are a Bad Thread denizen like myself.

Bad Threaders for life!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 9, 2020

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah I agree as I said in my first post in this thread the Witcher short stories' great strength is atmosphere. The plots aren't complicated, the world-building is in the background, the characters are fairly static. What the short stories nail is the sense of noir detective and high fantasy mashup. Geralt is a stoic loner who talks tough but has a heart of gold, and he's fallen into yet another curse to solve or monster contract to complete. There's probably going to be a standard fantasy setup with a noir style twist. Geralt will try to do what's right as events sweep him along.

All the stories more or less follow this structure. It's Snow White, but now the princess is back and ready to murder everyone between her and the evil queen. A fisherman pulls a genie's bottle out of the ocean, but there's a mysterious dame in town with an agenda that collides with Geralt's. Geralt gets hired to dispatch the Beast, but it's Belle who's been hunting humans for sport. Geralt is hired to off a Striga, but does more digging into the personal lives of the powerful than is good for him. Geralt is hired as a bodyguard for a party, but it turns out the easy gig is all a setup. Even the comedy episodes like The End of the World work like this, where Geralt is hard-up for work and takes a pointless joke of a case and somehow ends up getting kidnapped by terrorists.

I kinda wish these stories had more time to breathe.

I enjoyed the first two short story collections way more than the five main books. There were more than a few parts in the books where it's just people talking, talking, talking at each other about some political situation or other, which went on to have no bearing whatsoever on the actual plot surrounding the main characters. I just finished Lady of the Lake a few days ago, and I think I'm going to need a bit of time to recover before I can jump back in for Season of Storms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

chaosapiant posted:

God those are good. Make a Geralt detective game goddamit!

Bad Threaders for life!

i honestly hope they make a hidden sidequest in cyberpunk or its dlc where you interact with geral and or ciri. i know they have said they won't but it could work. also i want a witcher sequel with geralt in not-japan or wherever else.