Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hauldren Collider posted:

To be fair to this concept, that's all our navy has actually done for decades. When was the last time we had to sink a ship?

Sure but the navy is pretty much THE branch for staring down near peer adversaries. The US has gotten a lot of traction over the last 70 years out of being the dominant blue water force. Giving that up would lead to issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Iran-Iraq war so 30 years ago?

Apparently so.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure but the navy is pretty much THE branch for staring down near peer adversaries. The US has gotten a lot of traction over the last 70 years out of being the dominant blue water force. Giving that up would lead to issues.

By virtue of it's existence the US Navy provides some measure of guarantee for global freedom of commerce. From Somalia, to Haiti, to the Sulu Sea, we as people are never that far away from acting as pirates. The tanker wars, etc. show this up in a more dramatic (and explosive) way.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Back Hack posted:

I guess that explains why the proposed M1A3 upgrade was amended to have a new armor design, even though originally the upgrade package was almost entirely focused on logistics of making the M1 more lighter, easier to maintain, and overall more efficient.

IIRC the M1A2 info in this was pretty light on the details, it was mainly focused on the upgraded armor package for the Swedish Leopards. The main takeaway that I recall (that I suppose I can mention now that it's pretty much all over the internet) was that as far as armor went, 2A5 > M1A2 >>> Leclerc.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
I saw this: https://www.cnn.com/style/article/danila-tkachenko-restricted-areas/index.html

Which lead me to this: http://www.danilatkachenko.com/projects/restricted-areas/

Which lead me to this: http://www.danilatkachenko.com/books/

Looks like a great coffee table book.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheFluff posted:

IIRC the M1A2 info in this was pretty light on the details, it was mainly focused on the upgraded armor package for the Swedish Leopards. The main takeaway that I recall (that I suppose I can mention now that it's pretty much all over the internet) was that as far as armor went, 2A5 > M1A2 >>> Leclerc.
I mean that makes a lot of sense considering that regardless of armor properties, the Leclerc is a lighter design. 10 metric tons is a lot of armor.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

I mean that makes a lot of sense considering that regardless of armor properties, the Leclerc is a lighter design. 10 metric tons is a lot of armor.

And also tanks are inherently 'gun, speed, armour - pick two (if you're lucky)' and France has traditionally gone more for the first two.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah, not exactly earth-shattering news. I don't think the info in the leak really surprised any intelligence analysts either - we're talking about tanks that are over 20 years old, after all.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Russians have stuck a huge missile on the MiG-31. Looks to be some sort of high-speed cruise missile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8nHv93rFpM

Size comparison vs. Iskander

New missile is loving big.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Xerxes17 posted:

So apparently a Swedish dude accidentally leaked the details of the armor on the M1A2 and Leopard2A5 two years ago. Ooops!

???? Where’s this and link?!ive totally missed this.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Valtonen posted:

Calm down comrade. Putin already has it.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

feedmegin posted:

And also tanks are inherently 'gun, speed, armour - pick two (if you're lucky)' and France has traditionally gone more for the first two.

I'd say the M1 has all three, it's just maintenance heavy and very thirsty.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Valtonen posted:

Don't do this, Valtonen. Cyrano doesn't need a loving OPSEC/CI investigator sending him Emails.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’d assume there’s a news article about it.

Or else the post probably should be deleted

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

SimonCat posted:

I'd say the M1 has all three, it's just maintenance heavy and very thirsty.

mlmp08 posted:

Don't do this, Valtonen. Cyrano doesn't need a loving OPSEC/CI investigator sending him Emails.

No I mean if it’s already declassified as leaked. Sounded like that to me. If not then dah

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Valtonen posted:

No I mean if it’s already declassified as leaked. Sounded like that to me. If not then dah

Ah, I don't know if a leak was formally reported. But contents of any alleged leak are certainly not declassified, no matter how far and wide it may have spread.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

And m1 doesn’t have all three, the “speed” aspect covers also strategic mobility and that 68 tons is a pain in the rear end when you need to cross bridges on undeveloped countries, plus the fueler line your platoon needs for moving.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Ah, I don't know if a leak was formally reported. But contents of any alleged leak are certainly not declassified, no matter how far and wide it may have spread.

Yes I know leak =!= classification level
Change, there was a big deal in Finland about it when a major newspaper released some less-than-public info about our sigint center last spring. However I was more into how this slipped my view as far as any articles and cleaned-out summaries in public since I don’t think the post was “lol I found this folder about STRRV122 named “classified” guys”

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh it was an unedited version of a publicly released document. It showed an export-intended M1A2 with surpringly low protection values for kinetic threats across the turret and hull.

It also showed a version of the A2 with Swedish "improvements" which made the Abrams nigh impenetrable across the frontal arc.

Either way, Abrams fans frown. Russian fans cheer at the frown. Swedish STRV-122 is now revealed to have been the true God tank and Swedens invasion of Russia and the US is going to kick off any second.

Please disregard any rumors of Swedens involvement in the Leopard 2A5 project.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 9, 2018

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Skyhawk without a tail

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is 1000% percent my jam, thank you for the links.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/09/politics/pentagon-memo-trump-military-parade/index.html

quote:

The parade will "include wheeled vehicles only, no tanks," the memo said, adding that "consideration must be given to minimize damage to local infrastructure."

:sad:

quote:

It will, however, involve "a heavy air component" with military aircraft flying overhead at the end of parade, including older aircraft "as available," the memo said.

:getin:

Memento posted:

This is 1000% percent my jam, thank you for the links.

Let me know how it is, I thought it looked pretty neat too.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Speaking of tanks in general, I saw a side by side comparison recently of Russia's T14 vs the M1, even though the T14 is lighter it's so much bigger than the Abrams; which is saying something because the Abrams is a big tank. It's going to be a freaking bullet/missile magnet. :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
88 posts behind, so excuse me if this has been posted in th mean time:
https://www.facebook.com/heikki.siponen/videos/10155516196613719/

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

JcDent posted:

That is hilariously 80's.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Back Hack posted:

Speaking of tanks in general, I saw a side by side comparison recently of Russia's T14 vs the M1, even though the T14 is lighter it's so much bigger than the Abrams; which is saying something because the Abrams is a big tank. It's going to be a freaking bullet/missile magnet. :v:

Abrams is surprisingly low-profile before they decided to add a massive bonkers height crows straight in front of the TC. Coming from Leo 2’s I was surprised how small m1 is given its weight if you strip out the crows.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

JcDent posted:

:france: o7

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hauldren Collider posted:

To be fair to this concept, that's all our navy has actually done for decades. When was the last time we had to sink a ship?

Libya. A Navy P-3 put a missile into a Libyan patrol boat.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tkachenko got into a little trouble a while back for the other project mentioned on the site, the motherland one. Basically Russia is dotted with abandoned villages due to ongoing urbanization and the natural population decline - immigrants don't move to the sticks - and he went and burned a couple of them.

quote:

In modern Russia the trend of a contraction in the number of rural villages has continued. Over the past 20 years 23,000 villages have disappeared from the map of Russia, while small farmers are unable to compete with major corporations. According to the forecasts of some demographers, 96% of rural dwellers will live in cities by 2025. In other words, the rural population will disappear almost entirely.

The writeup below the pics on Tkachenko's site has some cool info on Soviet policy.

Article:

quote:

In a new photo project dedicated to the decline of Russia’s villages, Moscow artist Danila Tkachenko set fire to several empty village homes. Speaking to Colta.ru, Tkachenko said he deliberately selected abandoned homes and spent several days studying what the last tenants had left inside the houses, before burning them down. “The whole thing is very Russian,” Tkachenko explained. “You take it and then you burn it to hell.”

Tkachenko says he’s certain that nobody was using the houses in his photos, which were dilapidated structures with collapsing roofs in totally abandoned villages, but he concedes that the photo project seems “crude,” insofar as “it relishes burning objects.” The artist says he was prepared for a negative response to the project, and hasn’t ruled out that he could be forced to leave the country.

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2017/1...ody-s-loving-it

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 10, 2018

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Libya. A Navy P-3 put a missile into a Libyan patrol boat.

The crew of the patrol boat managed to beach it before it sank, so that only half counts. Also, I'm pretty sure I remember there being a goon on that P-3.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Isn't Leclerc the second most expensive tank after the one Korean wonder (K2)? What gives, if it's not that armored?

Also, a pity that Chally 2 wasn't in the leak, vut I guess nobody expects the Brits to build any more of them... or anything else for that matter.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

JcDent posted:

Isn't Leclerc the second most expensive tank after the one Korean wonder (K2)?

More limited production run resulting in a higher inidividual unit cost I imagine.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Oh it was an unedited version of a publicly released document. It showed an export-intended M1A2 with surpringly low protection values for kinetic threats across the turret and hull.

It also showed a version of the A2 with Swedish "improvements" which made the Abrams nigh impenetrable across the frontal arc.

Either way, Abrams fans frown. Russian fans cheer at the frown. Swedish STRV-122 is now revealed to have been the true God tank and Swedens invasion of Russia and the US is going to kick off any second.

Please disregard any rumors of Swedens involvement in the Leopard 2A5 project.

Could be worse. At least one T-90 got captured in Syria and a few ended up left behind rebel lines after brewing up/exploding.

Between Syria and Eastern Ukraine there has been a ton of new information regarding split open Soviet and Russian tanks.

Edit: Same goes for export M1's in Yemen. Don't think the Turks have left behind any of the Leopard 2A4's they lost, though.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 10, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's not the armor that drove the Leclerc's cost up, it's the equipment. The Leclerc was designed around a high degree of automation, high quality sensors, and active protection. The kind of things that other tanks got later during upgrade programs.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So, anything published about those T-90s?

Also, Osprey recently released Zaloga's new book on T-90, is it any good?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How interesting is capturing an A4? It still has the flat turret front without the addon wedge and if I had to guess I'd say the real Leo-related secret sauce nowadays probably is what's in that wedge.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The French internet upon reading the Leclerc armor estimates: "Merde!!!"

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The fish itself incites to deeds of hunger

aphid_licker posted:

How interesting is capturing an A4? It still has the flat turret front without the addon wedge and if I had to guess I'd say the real Leo-related secret sauce nowadays probably is what's in that wedge.

From the images available on the internet, the contents of the wedges appears to be mostly empty space.

Maybe the secret secret sauce is the composition of the plates but from the looks of it, the wedges are plain old steel/rubber NERA.
From what I've heard, the Swedish Strv 122 has some homebrew wedge armor made by Åkers Krutbruk and if the name of the manufacturer is any hint, there might be some proper ERA involved there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Apparently Ian lurks in this thread because he saw me complaining that there's nobody doing teardowns on heavy weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWR3SwSEdTg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Apparently Ian lurks in this thread because he saw me complaining that there's nobody doing teardowns on heavy weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWR3SwSEdTg

:stonk::fh: