Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

A round of turn-based is a wise move because it's less easy for someone who only sorta paid attention to the rules explanation to cheat, not w/ malice in their heart but to just futz along. When you switch to real time really hammer home that the rules insist the engineer and the first mate have to give verbal confirmation to the captain that they've done their job, before the captain can issue another move-order because that's another area where cheating just sort of happens.

When it's not happening intentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone heard of/played Pixel Glory? Brother's got that one out alongside Boss Monster for tonight's shenanigans.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
On the topic of market row deckbuilders, I think they're mostly all garbage, but Tyrants of the Underdark is actually pretty good.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Some Numbers posted:

On the topic of market row deckbuilders, I think they're mostly all garbage, but Tyrants of the Underdark is actually pretty good.

Now I'm curious. What's the improvement?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The game adds a territory control board and the second currency is used to develop the board, which vastly reduces "dead" hands.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

Any tips for a first play of Captain Sonar? I figure we'll start with turn-based play and then go into realtime after that.

Tbh start with real time it's the only real way to play. Dive right in and prepare for an awesome time

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Interested in playing Tyrants of the Underdark, looked pretty cool.

Anyone here played Nippon? I liked Madeira and Panamax but they were both pretty fiddly and got easily bogged down. Played a round of Nippon with 3 and we went real fast, about two hours with teach and punching stuff out. Really considering picking it up - it feels like what Madeira was trying to be.

(Also got a round of Lord of the Ice Garden in and my brain is shot again...)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Andarel posted:

Interested in playing Tyrants of the Underdark, looked pretty cool.

Anyone here played Nippon? I liked Madeira and Panamax but they were both pretty fiddly and got easily bogged down. Played a round of Nippon with 3 and we went real fast, about two hours with teach and punching stuff out. Really considering picking it up - it feels like what Madeira was trying to be.

(Also got a round of Lord of the Ice Garden in and my brain is shot again...)

I liked Nippon well enough. I didn't think it did anything particularly new but it was certainly streamlined compared to their other games.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Somehow Pericles is the first game with a meeple I've ever played.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
Any advice for a first play of Level 7: Omega Protocol? Spent an hour or so learning the rules and I'll be running the alien side. I think I got a handle on it but if there's anything that's commonly missed, let me know.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Going to try to get 1846 on the table again tonight. Thinking about tracking the cash with a tablet and an excel sheet instead of using poker chips. Has anyone in the thread tried this kind of nonsense before?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 16, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Going to try to get 1846 on the table again tonight. Thinking about tracking the cash with a tablet and an excel sheet instead of using poker chips. Has anyone in the thread tried this kind of nonsense before?

That sound way less fun that poker chips. I like to make big stacks and click the chips to intimidate my opponents when I'm winning. Can't do that with an app!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

That sound way less fun that poker chips. I like to make big stacks and click the chips to intimidate my opponents when I'm winning. Can't do that with an app!

What if it has a button to make that noise

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CommonShore posted:

18xx games are games where people need to know how money others have and how much money companies have at a glance. Having to constantly ask how much people/companies have would cancel out any benefits, especially since the number is always changing so the person inputting it would be busy doing the inputting so when it was their turn the game would slow down anyway.

The only way I could see this working is if you had the input person not play the game and also cast the spreadsheet to a big screen TV that everyone could see.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

homullus posted:

What if it has a button to make that noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkI4VDQrH4Q

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Lorini posted:

The only way I could see this working is if you had the input person not play the game and also cast the spreadsheet to a big screen TV that everyone could see.

Every game is improved by having the Game Stenographer.

Got to play Concordia for the first time yesterday. My group was AP as gently caress so it took like 2:45, but I feel like I will enjoy it much more once it speeds up. It needs to be breezier to feel as relaxing and free as I hope it to be. Even knowing the cards were super important I still managed to undervalue them. Like, my first strategic thought post-game is "Never tribune before using your senator, and always senator for 2 if possible." I got a consul, which got me a consul, which got me a consul which was fun but it was too late by then. I know it's about maximizing your cards, and I managed to build two houses with architect each time (though I only ever had one), but I ended up building in the same region a few times. I guess I should try and get a handle on the value of getting into each territory as opposed to just getting houses wherever. I also wonder to what extend it is worth it to get in on a region when a player is all alone out there, since it's not like they can prefect more than every once in a while.

Looking forward to playing again.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Every game is improved by having the Game Stenographer.

Got to play Concordia for the first time yesterday. My group was AP as gently caress so it took like 2:45, but I feel like I will enjoy it much more once it speeds up. It needs to be breezier to feel as relaxing and free as I hope it to be. Even knowing the cards were super important I still managed to undervalue them. Like, my first strategic thought post-game is "Never tribune before using your senator, and always senator for 2 if possible." I got a consul, which got me a consul, which got me a consul which was fun but it was too late by then. I know it's about maximizing your cards, and I managed to build two houses with architect each time (though I only ever had one), but I ended up building in the same region a few times. I guess I should try and get a handle on the value of getting into each territory as opposed to just getting houses wherever. I also wonder to what extend it is worth it to get in on a region when a player is all alone out there, since it's not like they can prefect more than every once in a while.

Looking forward to playing again.

In my experience, you prefect for an early-game cash influx or where you stand to gain a large goods/gold outcome, so spreading out to remote places even when nobody else is there is for cheaper Jupiter (houses in non-brick cities)/Saturn (presence in a province) points at the end, which are significant.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Played a couple games of Adrenaline last night, which is a Euro take on arena FPS gameplay. I thought the first game was fun but then diminishing returns hit hard on the second game, to the point where it felt really repetitive. The game more or less feels very much like an area control game, except instead of putting influence on a territory, you are inflicting damage on them, with scoring happening when said character dies and you get points based on how much damage you did relative to other people. It's a pretty clever way of interpreting the gameplay, but where it really fails is in map design. It seemed that the designers thought that FPSes were defined by their weaponry, rather than by their map design. I realize how much of an additional challenge it would have been to, for example, have some verticality in their maps, but when your map is just a bunch of random corridors that are occasionally blocked by a wall, it leaves me in want. Gone are most of the intricacies involved with maneuvering and positioning, instead replaced by a flow of "Get ammo to reload guns, shoot guns," which just ultimately ended up feeling eh. There also generally wasn't enough weapons to gently caress with other player's positioning either, so you couldn't have, for example, pulled someone into a room and then did some AOE damage in that room. These cards exist, but given how limited the role of positioning already was, they could have been more prevalent.

It also probably didn't help that for a game called Adrenaline and full of generally simple decisions, there was an awful lot of goddamn thinking on the table, which probably added to my annoyance.

I think there's a lot of design space to try to emulate something like TF2 or Overwatch on a board (somehow), but Adrenaline is not it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Just got notified that March of the Ants with the expansion has shipped!

I really should switch from bulk phase to cut phase soon, boardgamewise.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

CaptainRightful posted:

Just got notified that March of the Ants with the expansion has shipped!

I really should switch from bulk phase to cut phase soon, boardgamewise.

It's all about gains bro

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I decided once I filled my shelf I wouldn't buy anything else. That certainly wasn't the case but now I'm participating in math trades and just exchanging poo poo I know I'll never play for poo poo I hope I'll play.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I'm said the same but then i cleared out the top of my wardrobe and then surprise surprise it's now filled with board games.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Everyone in my group enjoyed Scythe a lot. It's certainly not the end all and be all of euro games with conflict, but it has a really nice match of good complexity for it's playtime. It took 4 hours to teach and play with 5 people, and that's with myself as the teacher having never played the game before.

I still think Dominant Species is the king of area control games for me, but Scythe is pretty different than that, and will definitely see playtime.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Cole Wehrle (Pax Pamir, Infamous Traffic) released the John Company board, it's...interesting:

quote:

Taking its inspiration from Phil Eklund’s seminal Lords games, John Company offers Food Chain Magnate by way of Republic of Rome. And, with only sixty cards and a modest footprint, John Company is one of the most accessible SMG offerings to date.

Phil Eklund...Food Chain Magnate...Republic of Rome...Accessible

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Food Chain Magnate is actually rather accessible. It's not eye-catching or immediately appealing aesthetically, but it is easy to teach, especially for a crunchy economic game.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's accessible for its genre, but it's a really loose usage of the word. Granted, for the kind of person who might visit John Company's BGG page, the word has a different meaning.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 16, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's the good kind of accessible. Very slim set of rules where the depth is in the interaction. It's overwhelming on first play not because there's a lot to remember but because you don't understand how all the gears turn.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's also - like every other Splotter game I've seen - highly procedural. If in doubt, just follow and resolve each phase in the order shown in the rules. I mean besides the meta game there's nothing to "get" :shrug:

Look up the phases in numerical order, do what they say in the order given, that's it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Kashuno posted:

Tbh start with real time it's the only real way to play. Dive right in and prepare for an awesome time

Turn based is extremely solid with a chess clock.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

al-azad posted:

It's the good kind of accessible. Very slim set of rules where the depth is in the interaction. It's overwhelming on first play not because there's a lot to remember but because you don't understand how all the gears turn.

Right, there aren't that many rules, particularly compared with let's say a Fantasy Flight game at the same game weight.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Impermanent posted:

Food Chain Magnate is actually rather accessible. It's not eye-catching or immediately appealing aesthetically, but it is easy to teach, especially for a crunchy economic game.

FCM is as easy to play as dominion. Just read the cards and the prices are a simple calculation. I remember bringing it up in this thread before but people were conflating "easy to learn" with "easy to master."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Does anyone in this thread have the Blood Rage game and can compare the minis contained to 28-32mm miniatures? I might get the Rising Sun game once it comes out just for the miniatures, if it's comparable to other minis and assuming they kept the same scale as Blood Rage. Game looks awful-mediocre but $100 for 60? minis is a pretty good deal.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

T-Bone posted:

Phil Eklund...

Speaking of Phil Eklund has anyone played Bio: Genesis? The new version is up on Kickstarter and it looks "fun"...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Speaking of Phil Eklund has anyone played Bio: Genesis? The new version is up on Kickstarter and it looks "fun"...

Thanks for mentioning this. Phil Eklund is a tabletop game wizard.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I finally got around to busting open Gloomhaven and read through the rules and punched & sorted everything, I'm really digging what I see.

One thing is all the overlay tiles are two-sided and seem to have no rhyme or reason for corridor/obstacle/hazard/etc facing, which confounds efforts to sort them by anything other than size. It's kind of hard to tell just by looking what counts as a hazard, or an obstacle, or what. In the rules they kind of color code it but there's no color coding on the actual tiles. In practice is this all just no big deal? Best I can think of is just throw all the doors in one bag, the non-hex overlays in another, and the rest just sorted by size I guess?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Mister Sinewave posted:

I finally got around to busting open Gloomhaven and read through the rules and punched & sorted everything, I'm really digging what I see.

One thing is all the overlay tiles are two-sided and seem to have no rhyme or reason for corridor/obstacle/hazard/etc facing, which confounds efforts to sort them by anything other than size. It's kind of hard to tell just by looking what counts as a hazard, or an obstacle, or what. In the rules they kind of color code it but there's no color coding on the actual tiles. In practice is this all just no big deal? Best I can think of is just throw all the doors in one bag, the non-hex overlays in another, and the rest just sorted by size I guess?

The best thing to do is go to your local hardware store and buy some divided containers like you'd use for sorting a bunch of different sizes of screws. We've got one that holds the monster stuff (monsters sorted generally by theme), and one that has the overlays (again, sorted generally by theme--doors, traps, non-hexagonal obstacles, long non-hexagonal obstacles, chests and altars, etc.). As long as you have supplementary containers, you're way better off not trying to fit everything back into the box, and instead just focus on making it faster to find what you need.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Funny you should mention that. I had a bunch of unused GMT counter trays (and a couple Deep Dish ones) and between The Colonists and Gloomhaven I have used up ALL of them :haw:

The monster standees almost all fit in a couple GMT trays, it's nice.

e: Thing is that only the doors have doors on both sides (one side closed, the other open) and almost all other pieces seem to be all over the place with respect to what's on them. I kind of want a flippable holder than would hold all the hex counters in a way that I could look at the faces one way, then flip it over and see all the backsides if I don't see what I'm after. I'm hoping that in practice it's just not a big deal.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 17, 2017

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
Been researching every type of sleeve for my game of Nightfall, ended up going with the Swan Panasia sleeves, as they are (apparently) good quality for a few pounds more than mayday (the cheapest).

Hopefully this is a good choice for the 800 or so sleeves i'm getting.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mister Sinewave posted:

e: Thing is that only the doors have doors on both sides (one side closed, the other open) and almost all other pieces seem to be all over the place with respect to what's on them. I kind of want a flippable holder than would hold all the hex counters in a way that I could look at the faces one way, then flip it over and see all the backsides if I don't see what I'm after. I'm hoping that in practice it's just not a big deal.

It can be a pain sometimes, but it's not too bad. They key component that you need trays for are the monsters and you went the right route there. A clear double sided divider would be sweet though (maybe even a binder with large card sleeves, now that i think of it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Mister Sinewave posted:

The non hexagonal but fit in a hex stuff is a hazard/trap, usually. One looks like a bear trap, one looks like a bear trap with a disc on top. The second one is a pressure plate. The green blob is a trap, spiky ground is a trap, and if I recall all the others are difficult ground. The stuff that looks like red rocks are obstacles. The sarcophagi and tables are obstacles. Pretty much everything else is hexagonal I think, and is either a door, an obstacle, or a blank space to join two tiles. Oh, there are altars. They look like stairs with a bowl in a platform. I just have them sorted by general size or picture and grab what I need, but secondary storage is required for this until a good insert can be obtained.