Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Japanese rooms don't really have baseboards conducive to that kind of wiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jdi448hsnvb
Dec 6, 2006

asfd
I have a pair of Swans m200mkii speakers which I hook up to my PC through a small DAC (they also come with an output cable that plugs into headphone jacks). I would like to hook up my Wii U to these speakers but I have no idea how to given my setup. Wii U's only have an HDMI out and some kind of video out. There are some USB outs but I think they're only used for external storage. Is there any way of hooking up my speakers to my Wii U short of buying a full fledged receiver?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dammitcharlie posted:

I have a pair of Swans m200mkii speakers which I hook up to my PC through a small DAC (they also come with an output cable that plugs into headphone jacks). I would like to hook up my Wii U to these speakers but I have no idea how to given my setup. Wii U's only have an HDMI out and some kind of video out. There are some USB outs but I think they're only used for external storage. Is there any way of hooking up my speakers to my Wii U short of buying a full fledged receiver?
If you need to output video over HDMI, I guess this thing, looks like it'll passthrough video over HDMI and separate the audio to output over an analog stereo minijack. Then do whatever cabling necessary to hook that up to your PC's input (then passthrough to the DAC) or straight to the DAC if that has an analog input and passthrough function.

If you don't need HDMI then I guess get a component cable and again do whatever analog audio cabling as above to hook it up.

...or that vvvvv :doh:

japtor fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 16, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

dammitcharlie posted:

Is there any way of hooking up my speakers to my Wii U short of buying a full fledged receiver?
Potentially the TV you're hooking it up to has an analog audio out/headphone out.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Flipperwaldt posted:

Potentially the TV you're hooking it up to has an analog audio out/headphone out.

Those jacks almost never output anything but audio from the TVs own tuner. Possibly a misguided anti-piracy policy.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

eddiewalker posted:

Those jacks almost never output anything but audio from the TVs own tuner. Possibly a misguided anti-piracy policy.
Admittedly I have only hands on experience with one particular flatscreen TV, but it works fine on my Sony. If it were an anti-piracy measure, they would be the ones spearheading it. They've been massive assholes about poo poo like that before.

So if it's true what you're saying that it isn't a common feature, I'd say it's probably a cost saving measure somehow.

Anyway, worth a shot, isn't it? I don't know what TV that guy has.

jdi448hsnvb
Dec 6, 2006

asfd

japtor posted:

If you need to output video over HDMI, I guess this thing

Exactly what I needed. The monitor doesn't have audio out so this seems to be the best option. Thanks!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dammitcharlie posted:

Exactly what I needed. The monitor doesn't have audio out so this seems to be the best option. Thanks!

Here's an option for digital audio output if you want to let your DAC do the heavy lifting:

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita...hdmi+to+toslink

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

I keep hearing this, and was told this when I was asking about TV advice. It's not true for my Vizio just like it isn't true for Flipperwaldt's Sony.
Now, admittedly I have a stereo only receiver, but I feed all of my devices into the television and into the stereo. I have analog and digital audio out on the tv, works with anything I've thrown at it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jago posted:

I keep hearing this, and was told this when I was asking about TV advice. It's not true for my Vizio just like it isn't true for Flipperwaldt's Sony.
Now, admittedly I have a stereo only receiver, but I feed all of my devices into the television and into the stereo. I have analog and digital audio out on the tv, works with anything I've thrown at it.
Same on some old rear end Westinghouse I have...granted it's not a TV in the first place, it's one of those old tuner-less big screens.

One thing I have heard I think in some Wii U threads before is that most TVs don't pass through PCM surround or something. This came up in relation to the Wii U cause for surround I think it only does PCM, and supposedly most TVs only pass through DD or downmux to stereo through their optical ports.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I have an old stereo receiver that I still like to use. I have a big LCD TV whose only output is a TOSLINK digital out. I got a converter that successfully converts digital to analog, but when I turn the TV off, the converter starts spewing white noise. I looked up online, and found that this is A Thing for some converters. What troubled me was that one person recommended a certain brand, and when I looked it up I found a review saying that brand's converter did the same thing!

Is this an issue with the converter or with the TV? If it's an issue with the converter, I'm looking for a solid recommendation on a quality converter.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I'm got a tricky one that's just stumped me. I'm looking for your typical iPod docking alarm clock radio, but I need two things - iPhone 5 support and an HD Radio tuner. Anyone have any leads on where I could find something like this?

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Hi guys, I'm looking for a DAC with some specific requirements. Must have 2 or more (3 is ideal) inputs and a remote control to switch between them (also must be a good DAC). The only one of those I've found so far is the Audiolab M-DAC. But I want to see if there are any cheaper options. Basically a Cambridge DacMagic Plus but with a remote.

Oddish
Jul 11, 2009
I listen to Spotify all day at work with headphones directly plugged in to the sound card. Would I benefit from a headphone amp? The headphones aren't anything special: EX-29 Extreme Isolation.

Oddish fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 23, 2013

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I found a really cheap RCA soundbar to mess around with as I've never used a soundbar before. I have a samsung LED tv and a PS3 for blu-ray/streaming services. The bar itself only has an audio cable for audio out connection, so it can't connect to the PS3. I have it plugged into the TV, and my PS3 is set to allow for multi-out audio (if that even matters) but I'm not getting any sound with the PS3. Now that I'm checking it, I'm also not getting any sound when it's set to just my TV source either.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I will also add that I went into the TV menu and tried setting speaker select from TV speaker to External and I just get zero sound.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 24, 2013

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is this an issue with the converter or with the TV?

Might be an unfortunate combination of both. Can you set your TV to send out PCM? If not or you're not sure, I need both your TV and converter models.

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm got a tricky one that's just stumped me. I'm looking for your typical iPod docking alarm clock radio, but I need two things - iPhone 5 support and an HD Radio tuner. Anyone have any leads on where I could find something like this?

That's a tricky one all right. iHome doesn't have HD radio, Polk I-Sonic doesn't have Lightning connector. I suppose an adapter is out of the question?

Laser Cow posted:

Hi guys, I'm looking for a DAC with some specific requirements. Must have 2 or more (3 is ideal) inputs and a remote control to switch between them (also must be a good DAC).

Out of curiosity, what's the system you're building here? Emotiva XDA-1 comes to mind as something that has several inputs, remote and a decent DAC. Not sure if it's sold anymore but Emotiva should probably have a replacement model.

Oddish posted:

I listen to Spotify all day at work with headphones directly plugged in to the sound card. Would I benefit from a headphone amp? The headphones aren't anything special: EX-29 Extreme Isolation.

Do you listen to normal or HD Spotify? Not surprisingly HD tracks benefit more from an amp. The headphones themselves are relatively low impedance so you don't absolutely require an amp to drive them.

I'd still get one just for the convenience of having a separate volume knob. I can't deal with volume sliders.

Need TV and soundbar models.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

It's the RCA home theater soundbar RTS635

and I'm pretty sure it's the 55" samsung UN55FH6030FXZA

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

I have a weird situation with interference that's really confusing me.

I have a set of speakers hooked up to a monitor via 3.5mm headphone jack, and the monitor is in turn hooked up via displayport to a macbook air. This set-up is ok and doesn't give me any major issues except for a persistent and somewhat loud buzzing through the speakers. I've learned to live with it.

Hooking up the speakers via 3.5mm cable directly to the headphone jack of the macbook air gets rid of the buzzing entirely and is almost the ideal set-up. The only problem is that I also have a walking treadmill at my desk, and whenever that is operational, there's an even louder and annoying buzzing through the speakers. The really odd thing is that it only occurs if the monitor is both powered and hooked up via displayport. Having it powered alone causes no buzzing through the speakers. I've moved the treadmill to another wall socket and that didn't do anything.

I'm more confused as to why the treadmill would cause interference with the speakers, but only if the monitor is on, even though there's no direct connection between the speakers and the monitor.

Help?

Can anyone help me out with this? KillHour made a wonderful diagram of my situation:

I bought a ground loop isolator but no matter how I connected it, it made the problem way worse.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

It's the RCA home theater soundbar RTS635

and I'm pretty sure it's the 55" samsung UN55FH6030FXZA

TV manual p. 41: change your sound output to PCM. If your only options are Dolby or DTS then you're screwed.

I think the TV model might be wrong, because it only lists optical out. You can't connect optical to that soundbar. Did you use 3,5mm to RCA cable and plug it into headphone output?

e: did you use a 3,5mm to 3,5mm cable? You need to turn the soundbar to "Line in" source. Also make sure that both your TV and soundbar have some volume on them (be careful).

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 24, 2013

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

It says the line in source is for ipods n such (it's a front facing jack). I have the TV set to PCM and the cables are (I'm pretty sure) the ones you're talking about, same size on both ends and red/white audio cable. If I put my ear up to the bar I can hear a low static/white noise but I'm not sure if that just means it's on or what.

EDIT: Found the right number, it's UN55EH6000F

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This is a theoretical thing since I doubt I'll actually try this for various reasons*. I have an arcade cab and was looking into speaker replacements when I came across these mini subs, which got me wondering whether it'd be possible to hook one of those up without an additional amp.

One issue is that I have no clue what the amp itself can take load wise, all I know is that the stock setup is either 4 or 8 ohm speakers with separate leads going to each. The cab outputs mono so I guess it's either dual mono outputs or it's wired in parallel (if that makes a difference)?

*Extra cost, no mount points so it wouldn't be a simple drop in replacement like the speakers, probably need an enclosure to get the most out of it, maybe a crossover, etc. Or I could just use it instead of one of the speakers (mounting holes line up on some models) and cross my fingers but I'm guessing the imbalance would bug me.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the system you're building here? Emotiva XDA-1 comes to mind as something that has several inputs, remote and a decent DAC. Not sure if it's sold any more but Emotiva should probably have a replacement model.
Cool, they make an XDA-2 that ticks most of the same boxes as the Audiolabs but for half the price. I've contacted them to see how much it will cost shipped to Europe, I'll have to judge if it's worth the shipping plus import tax versus the hassle of not buying locally and being able to listen to it first.

As to the system, I have a 2 channel amplifier with an integrated DAC and an integrated phono stage and 3 sources I'd like to run through the DAC (only 2 of which really really need to, my Sonos sounds way better through a DAC and my cable box doesn't have RCA outs). Basically it's nothing that buying a proper AV receiver in the first place wouldn't have solved but I really like the amp.

Unfortunately the DAC and the phono stage cannot be used at the same time, and you have to switch between them on the back of the amplifier which with my set up is very difficult. My other option is to buy an external phono stage and a remote control TOSLINK switch. This option is cheaper but I don't prefer it because I really like the phono stage I have and I really want to limit the number of boxes and clutter.

[edit]Still leaning towards the Audiolab, and I've worked out I only need 2 optical inputs and a coax so it should be perfect and the reviews look good. The integrated DAC I have doesn't have a coax so I kind of forgot they existed for a bit there.

Laser Cow fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 24, 2013

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

I have the TV set to PCM and the cables are (I'm pretty sure) the ones you're talking about, same size on both ends and red/white audio cable.

Where do you have that cable plugged on TV? As far as I can tell there's no RCA output in the other model number either, just optical. There is an component in with five colored RCA connectors on the TV, but that's for input only.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yep, that's the problem. I totally didn't notice the instructions called for audio out not audio in. So I should probably return this then?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

Yep, that's the problem.

Return it.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Laser Cow posted:

I really want to limit the number of boxes and clutter.

I guess this rules out getting three separate DACs and using the amp to do the source switching? That'd be the cheapest choice and you could use your amps remote which you need anyway.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Hob_Gadling posted:

I guess this rules out getting three separate DACs and using the amp to do the source switching? That'd be the cheapest choice and you could use your amps remote which you need anyway.

I'm an idiot and that is a great idea.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hob_Gadling posted:

Might be an unfortunate combination of both. Can you set your TV to send out PCM? If not or you're not sure, I need both your TV and converter models.

I do have the TV set to output PCM.

One of my friends suggested that I unplug the optical cable and see if the converter does the same thing as when I turn the TV off. I did, and it does, so it looks like the converter defaults to pumping out analog static when there's no digital signal.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

Can anyone help me out with this? KillHour made a wonderful diagram of my situation:

I bought a ground loop isolator but no matter how I connected it, it made the problem way worse.

The only other thing I can think of is that the ground loop is between the laptop and the monitor/speakers, but you said the buzzing is still there when you unplug the laptop. Try plugging things one at a time into a different circuit in the house with an extension cord (or better yet, a UPS running on battery) to help determine where the noise is coming from. I'm leaning towards the monitor's audio circuitry being poo poo.

Something like this may or may not fix it:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Analog...audio+extractor

Unfortunately, ground loops are pretty much trial and error.

Edit: I forgot it was display port instead of HDMI. The HDMI extractor won't help.

Do you HAVE to output audio through display port? Can you output it through a 3.5mm jack on the laptop?

Using an external DAC would almost certainly fix the issue unless the problem is with your speakers.

I love my Fiio:

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E17-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0070UFMOW

Double Edit:

I'm an absolute idiot. Your treadmill has a huge fuckoff motor in it, which is probably putting out a ton of EMF and is either causing your speaker wires to act like antennas or putting a huge amount of distortion in your mains circuit.

Try running the treadmill in another room and see if it still causes the issue. Unless you feel like plopping down for a power conditioner, you might just have to live without the treadmill while listening to music.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 27, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

KillHour posted:

Double Edit:

I'm an absolute idiot. Your treadmill has a huge fuckoff motor in it, which is probably putting out a ton of EMF and is either causing your speaker wires to act like antennas or putting a huge amount of distortion in your mains circuit.

Try running the treadmill in another room and see if it still causes the issue. Unless you feel like plopping down for a power conditioner, you might just have to live without the treadmill while listening to music.

Any idea why the noise related to the treadmill would disappear when the speakers are connected to the monitor? I appreciate the amount of thought you gave this dude.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

Any idea why the noise related to the treadmill would disappear when the speakers are connected to the monitor? I appreciate the amount of thought you gave this dude.

The noise goes away when you go from computer to monitor to speakers? I have no idea. Try another computer or an external DAC and see if that changes anything. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've got an old Technics SA-DX930 reciever that supports pro logic and DTS, but no matter what I do I can't seem to get an appreciable DTS stream to passthrough to the reciever, even though I'm using toslink cables. Is it because my reciever is too old to deal with the different bit types? I'm at a loss as what I'm doing wrong or what perhaps I should be doing.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What's a decent box kit in the 4-700 dollar range for babby's first 5.1 system?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tarepanda posted:

There isn't one. Box kits suck.

Go here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 3, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tarepanda posted:

The only "Decent" box kit I have ever heard is this Onkyo THX Setup. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120187

It's a bit out of your listed budget. I would go to the "first sound system" thread and check out the budgets. The Pioneer system would be pretty good.

Updawgs
Oct 14, 2012

Gonna sine yo pitty
on da runny kine
Quick question:

I've stumbled upon my dad's old speakers, a pair of "Tannoy M15"s. I'm moving soon and would like to minimize, but I'm also in need of a pair of reference monitors. Any ideas how good these are? (I'd also have to invest in an amp). Keep/Chuck/Sell?

http://www.hifidatabase.com/Detailed/Tannoy_M15_Series_90_4397.php

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

My Razer Carcharias is close to dying and I was hoping to replace it with a SteelSeries Siberia V2 but apparently they don't provide good warranty terms in Europe so that isn't an option any more. I couldn't find any better alternative headset and after a read of the headset thread in SH/SC(which is now locked), buying headphones in addition to a clip-on mic seemed like a better idea. A lot of what was recommended in that thread seemed out of my price range of sub £80-90, I'm trying to look for an open-back, circum-aural that is suitable for both gaming and music while also being comfortable (foam ear-pads preferred to leather).
After some searching I found the Audio-Technica TAD 400 which appealed to me. However I don't know much about headphones so any feedback on this product would be much appreciated, or if there are other headphones that might be suitable for me let me know, I have an ASUS Xonar DG soundcard and would be using either the Zalman Clip-on Mic,ModMic or a Xuanyan clip-on but I haven't decided on which. Recommendations for where to purchase from would also be appreciated, for the aforementioned TAD400 I found only the official website and a Japanese import on Amazon with no reviews.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Nova88 posted:

A lot of what was recommended in that thread seemed out of my price range of sub £80-90,

Where do you live and what's your budget? When you checked the headphones thread did you notice OP had recommendations at varying price ranges?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Nova88 posted:

I couldn't find any better alternative headset and after a read of the headset thread in SH/SC(which is now locked), buying headphones in addition to a clip-on mic seemed like a better idea.

I think you've got the right idea there, with the clip-on.
By the way, did you see the (still-open) headphones thread in IYG?
The OP is terribly outdated, so some specific headphone recommendations are not very appropriate anymore (like the HD280). However, the theory writeup and the part about different kinds of headphones are spot-on.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2387142

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Hob_Gadling posted:

Where do you live and what's your budget? When you checked the headphones thread did you notice OP had recommendations at varying price ranges?

UK, and budget is £80 or under.
At first I was leaning towards the Zalman clip on mic, but I saw some reviews saying it wasn't that good, and that the Xuanyan was better value for money. In regards to headphones I saw some TAD 500's on Amazon which seemed interesting, but they weren't on the Audio-Technica website so I was a bit wary of them.