Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I don't know what you're really trying to do, but it sounds like inner (or outer, if you need nulls) joining.

Inner join:

code:
SELECT * 
FROM   table1 
       INNER JOIN table2 
         ON table1.PK = table2.table1_PK 
       INNER JOIN table3 
         ON table2.PK = table3.table2_PK 
Edit: I guess you can still use the cross product though, which may be what you were attempting in the first place. The only difference to yours is using AND (instead of OR) in the WHERE clause.

code:
SELECT * 
FROM   table1, 
       table2, 
       table3 
WHERE  table1.PK = table2.table1_PK 
       AND table2.PK = table3.table2_PK 

epswing fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That looks a bit more accurate, I believe that's correct- thanks.

e; Yea- I should've been using the AND instead of the OR, achieves the same results. Like I said, I just really don't like databases. My one gripe with programming.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 9, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I've got a problem I've been trying to help my dad with, but I don't know SQL and figured it would be easier to ask you guys because I think it's probably pretty simple--

So he's working in Crystal Reports and has a database which has the fields:
ID, Name, Date+Time, and Zone.

There are lots of duplicate entries and entries that repeat the ID and Zone multiple times, with differing times for each entry-- He needs to be able to:

If the Zone and ID are the duplicates, grab the most recent time+date and don't show the others.

If any more information is needed, I'll reply ASAP- Thanks.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Shmoogy posted:

I've got a problem I've been trying to help my dad with, but I don't know SQL and figured it would be easier to ask you guys because I think it's probably pretty simple--

There are lots of duplicate entries and entries that repeat the ID and Zone multiple times, with differing times for each entry-- He needs to be able to:

If the Zone and ID are the duplicates, grab the most recent time+date and don't show the others.

Crystal has it's own weird SQL syntax but if he can do raw queries this is how it would look in t-sql:

SELECT MAX(Date+Time),Name From Thing GROUP BY Zone,ID

(I have no idea if Crystal SQL supports Group By or aggregates like MAX)

Assumptions:
- Date+Time is one column that is consistently formatted as a datetime, and not two columns that are concatenated
- If Zone is repeated ID is also repeated (e.g. this won't bring back cases where there's a duplicate Zone, but not a duplicate ID).

If he doesn't have access/knowledge for raw queries this Stack Overflow might help:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/203473/how-do-i-group-by-date-in-crystal-reports-8-0

But don't use the group by on the date, use it on the Zone/ID fields.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
What's the best way to find records that "mostly" match? I'm a little slow, but I can't seem to accomplish what I want with just using wildcards and LIKE.

My goal is to feed a list of names to a script and have it check against the database for customers that "mostly" match (specifying a threshold) and then verify exact matches manually. (We're in the process of migrating to a new system and I'm trying to consolidate multiple accounts for the same customer, but a lot of the time we get "Mike Smith" one year, "Mike Smith Jr" the next year, "Michael Smith" the year after that, etc.)

Thanks for any help!

e: To clarify, we seem to have quite a bit of "typos" in our database, which is why it's important for me to be able to say "Michael mostly matches Micheal so it counts".

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 14, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Crystal has it's own weird SQL syntax but if he can do raw queries this is how it would look in t-sql:

SELECT MAX(Date+Time),Name From Thing GROUP BY Zone,ID

(I have no idea if Crystal SQL supports Group By or aggregates like MAX)

Assumptions:
- Date+Time is one column that is consistently formatted as a datetime, and not two columns that are concatenated
- If Zone is repeated ID is also repeated (e.g. this won't bring back cases where there's a duplicate Zone, but not a duplicate ID).

If he doesn't have access/knowledge for raw queries this Stack Overflow might help:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/203473/how-do-i-group-by-date-in-crystal-reports-8-0

But don't use the group by on the date, use it on the Zone/ID fields.

Thanks for this -I'll see if I can help him figure it out through this info.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Shmoogy posted:

In crystal you will want to just use groups on the zone and id fields put the fields into the "details" section, and then use a running total field that grabs the maximum of the time+date.

Trying to do sql inside of the crystal is usually a bad idea.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

fullroundaction posted:

What's the best way to find records that "mostly" match? I'm a little slow, but I can't seem to accomplish what I want with just using wildcards and LIKE.

My goal is to feed a list of names to a script and have it check against the database for customers that "mostly" match (specifying a threshold) and then verify exact matches manually. (We're in the process of migrating to a new system and I'm trying to consolidate multiple accounts for the same customer, but a lot of the time we get "Mike Smith" one year, "Mike Smith Jr" the next year, "Michael Smith" the year after that, etc.)

Thanks for any help!

e: To clarify, we seem to have quite a bit of "typos" in our database, which is why it's important for me to be able to say "Michael mostly matches Micheal so it counts".

Use trigram searching http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/pgtrgm.html
edit: and/or some of the things from http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/fuzzystrmatch.html

Pardot fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 14, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I am not sure how to describe this technically, so I'm using as simple language as possible:

How can I locate rows using two fields, but the fields don't match up 1:1? So, I have field X and then field Y but I cant just use two IN clauses because x and y have a many to one relationship.

If I was just looking for a single record, I would use

SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERE X = ' ' and Y = ' ';

but I need this but 7,000 times. In the past, I've used excel to concatenate however many selects I need to get the data, but that method kind of sucks and I'd like a better method. I'm using DB2 SQL if that is applicable.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Xguard86 posted:

I am not sure how to describe this technically, so I'm using as simple language as possible:

How can I locate rows using two fields, but the fields don't match up 1:1? So, I have field X and then field Y but I cant just use two IN clauses because x and y have a many to one relationship.

If I was just looking for a single record, I would use

SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERE X = ' ' and Y = ' ';

but I need this but 7,000 times. In the past, I've used excel to concatenate however many selects I need to get the data, but that method kind of sucks and I'd like a better method. I'm using DB2 SQL if that is applicable.

I think you need to be more specific about what the two fields X and Y are and how they relate to each other (and what governs the pairs of values you want to retrieve).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Field X is the client ID field y is the record ID. So, each client ID can have many records. So if I want

Client 1 record 1
Client 1 record 2
then
Client 2 record 1

I need a way to select only those and not Client 2 record 2 which is what client IN () and then record IN () does.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Xguard86 posted:

Field X is the client ID field y is the record ID. So, each client ID can have many records. So if I want

Client 1 record 1
Client 1 record 2
then
Client 2 record 1

I need a way to select only those and not Client 2 record 2 which is what client IN () and then record IN () does.

Ah so you would want something like this

code:
Select *
From Table as t1
where
t1.recordid = (Select max(recoridid) from table as t2 where t1.clientid = t2.clientid)
groupby clientid

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I have explicit combinations Here is the first five rows from my list:

383 319368
859 64844
546 1407037
623 400119
859 64378

the left column is client ID the right is record. Would I still be using a MAX when I have explicit combinations? I'm not following the solution.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Xguard86 posted:

I have explicit combinations Here is the first five rows from my list:

383 319368
859 64844
546 1407037
623 400119
859 64378

the left column is client ID the right is record. Would I still be using a MAX when I have explicit combinations? I'm not following the solution.

So you have completely arbitrary pairs of values that you want to retrieve?

You have two choices: you can write a query that says WHERE x = 383 AND y = 319368 OR x = 859 AND y = 64844 OR x = 546 AND y = 1407037 OR x = 623 AND y = 400119 OR x = 859 AND y = 64378

or you can create a temporary table, insert those pairs of values and JOIN to the table you're interested in. This is what you should probably do if the list of values can be big.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

hmm this is difficult. I don't have the permissions to create a table and there are over 7,000 records I need to locate. I might be stuck just using excel to create a batch of single selects and join them together.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

What is the source of the pairs of values?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

an excel spreadsheet emailed to me.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

is it possible to combine the two fields and then search for that?

so like

client 300
record id 1000

WHERE client||record_id = 3001000

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

is it possible to combine the two fields and then search for that?

so like

client 300
record id 1000

WHERE client||record_id = 3001000

Yes, but your best bet is probably to write a formula in the spreadsheet to generate a massive union of select statements. I can't remember excel syntax offhand but something like:
code:
="select * from table where client_id="+$A1+" and record_id=" $B1 " union all"
fill down and copy the paste the column with the formula in to text editor, remove the last union all, and run the result.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
I have to build a unique index over two columns (appId, id) and also be able to search for multiple items at once like so:

code:
SELECT * FROM items WHERE (appId, id) IN(
  (753, 1406489768752971078),
  (440, 794494141),
  (440, 705573191),
  (753, 1406489768752970184)
);
But that makes my code significantly harder to build, as I have to worry about an array of arrays instead of an array of ints every time I grab ids from input. I'd prefer to do it this way:

code:
SELECT * FROM items WHERE condensedId IN(
  '753_1406489768752971078',
  '440_794494141',
  '440_705573191',
  '753_1406489768752970184'
);
How much slower will searches through the index go if I use strings like this? The math for the number of bits used for each looks like this:
Original version:
Two 64bit ids = 128 bits

String version:
Two 20-char strings separated by an underscore = (20 + 20 + 1) * 8 = 328 bits
But for the most part, appId will be 3 or 6 characters long. so the average length of the items will probably be closer to (20 + 6 + 1) * 8 = 216 bits

Will this run significantly slower? The other dev keeps telling me "noooo it will go really slow im crying". But I'd rather do it the string way because it'll be way faster to get code done for it and it'll reduce system complexity.
To give you a sense of size, the current table size is ~50 million rows (we're porting over from an old system and adding new functionality).

Also this is in mongodb. I wrote it like sql because it probably uses close to the same algorithms for searching (and more people are likely to respond). Also if there's a way to limit the charset to /[0-9_-]*/ to save on bits that would be cool to know as well.

Peanut and the Gang fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 15, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Zombywuf posted:

Yes, but your best bet is probably to write a formula in the spreadsheet to generate a massive union of select statements. I can't remember excel syntax offhand but something like:
code:
="select * from table where client_id="+$A1+" and record_id=" $B1 " union all"
fill down and copy the paste the column with the formula in to text editor, remove the last union all, and run the result.

this is my standard procedure for these kind of things. I was hoping I could get fancier, but at least I've confirmed there isn't a better method I've just missed.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

this is my standard procedure for these kind of things. I was hoping I could get fancier, but at least I've confirmed there isn't a better method I've just missed.

You can link the spreadsheet to to MSSQL and run T-SQL queries over it by some witchcraft I've never bothered to master. It's much easier to do it that way.

osd
Aug 28, 2002

Welcome to The Wade Belak Experience
I've run into what I'm assuming is going to be a dead end but am hoping someone can find some possible way to accomplish this. We have a really old scheduling system here and when people request holidays it inputs them as 30 minute chunks for some ridiculous reason. For example if I request May 16th off this is what it would look like in the database:

code:
personid    start time        end time    shiftid
me            8:30am           9:00am      VA
me            9:00am           9:30am      VA
me           4:30pm            5:00pm      VA
I'm trying to figure out some select statement that would allow me to view the smallest start time and highest end time by person id per shift id per date. For example we may have something like this:

code:
date                 personid    start time        end time    shiftid
May 15th           person1     8:30am            9:00am         LA
May 15th           person1     9:00am            9:30am         LA  
May 15th           me            8:30am           9:00am         VA
May 15th           me            9:00am           9:30am         VA
May 15th           me           4:30pm            5:00pm         VA
May 15th           person1     4:00pm            4:30pm           LE
May 15th           person1     4:30pm            5:00pm           LE
May 18th          person2      8:30am            9:00am          LA
May 18th          person2      9:30am            10:00am         LA
my end goal would be to see:

code:
May 15th           person1        8:30am          9:30am         LA
May 15th            me              8:30am         5:00pm        LA
May 15th           person1        4:00pm          5:00pm          LE
May 18th           person2        8:30am          10:00am         LA
basically what I need is something to get me the min and max per person id per shift id per date

Edit: nevermind, turns out in Cognos I can get minimums and maximums based on a grouping

osd fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 16, 2012

DankTamagachi
Jan 20, 2005
Tamagachi to your throat!

osd posted:

I've run into what I'm assuming is going to be a dead end but am hoping someone can find some possible way to accomplish this. We have a really old scheduling system here and when people request holidays it inputs them as 30 minute chunks for some ridiculous reason. For example if I request May 16th off this is what it would look like in the database:

code:
personid    start time        end time    shiftid
me            8:30am           9:00am      VA
me            9:00am           9:30am      VA
me           4:30pm            5:00pm      VA
I'm trying to figure out some select statement that would allow me to view the smallest start time and highest end time by person id per shift id per date. For example we may have something like this:

code:
May 15th           person1     8:30am            9:00am         LA
May 15th           person1     9:00am            9:30am         LA  
May 15th           me            8:30am           9:00am         VA
May 15th           me            9:00am           9:30am         VA
May 15th           me           4:30pm            5:00pm         VA
May 15th           person1     4:00pm            4:30pm           LE
May 15th           person1     4:30pm            5:00pm           LE
May 18th          person2      8:30am            9:00am          LA
May 18th          person2      9:30am            10:00am         LA
my end goal would be to see:

code:
May 15th           person1        8:30am          9:30am         LA
May 15th            me              8:30am         5:00pm        LA
May 15th           person1        4:00pm          5:00pm          LE
May 18th           person2        8:30am          10:00am         LA
basically what I need is something to get me the min and max per person id per shift id per date

Depends what DBMS you're using, but if the dates have a 0 value for time and the times a 0 value for dates, you should be able to add them together and then use regular min/max functions on them to get the earliest and latest datetimes.

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz
This is probably a really basic question but I was really doubting myself earlier when planning the schema for a new system.

The structure of things is:

There is an event (not in the programming sense) which has a unique ID
Each event can have 1 to n customers who all have unique reference numbers
Each customer can make 0 to n responses to the invitation to the event
Each response can specify 1 to n options

So, the event table's PK is the EventID
The event customers table's PK can be EventID and CustomerID (the customers table is completely separate, this just relates the customer to the event)

Would the normal thing to do here be to have the response table's PK being EventID, CustomerID and ResponseID? And then the next increment for the options?

Also, the options each have a fixed ID so they are fine to tack on to the PK if this is the route to go down but the responses do not. If this is the route to follow can the responses table's PK be EventID, CustomerID and then a count of responses +1 for ResponseID?

Please enlighten me. This is on SQL Server 2008.

Thanks

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I've got a question, too!

I have 2 tables (MSSQL 2008)

Table 1
user_idx (int unique identifier)
user_name

Table 2
picture_idx (int unique identifier)
user_idx (int)
upload_date (smalldatetime)
picture_name

Table 1 is a listing of unique users, each with a unique user_idx, Table 2 is a large list of uploaded photos, each having a unique picture_idx and tied to the user_idx from Table 1.

What I need is a query to pull the last uploaded photo for all users so that I end up with something like:
user_name - upload_date - picture_name

I'm doing it now by getting the users from Table 1 then doing separate queries from Table 2 to grab the info, but I know that ain't good, I'd like to be able to do it in a single query.

Thank you!

JeansW
Aug 4, 2004
Yes. Like the jeans...

G-Dub posted:

This is probably a really basic question but I was really doubting myself earlier when planning the schema for a new system.

The structure of things is:

So, the event table's PK is the EventID
The event customers table's PK can be EventID and CustomerID (the customers table is completely separate, this just relates the customer to the event)

Would the normal thing to do here be to have the response table's PK being EventID, CustomerID and ResponseID? And then the next increment for the options?

Also, the options each have a fixed ID so they are fine to tack on to the PK if this is the route to go down but the responses do not. If this is the route to follow can the responses table's PK be EventID, CustomerID and then a count of responses +1 for ResponseID?

Please enlighten me. This is on SQL Server 2008.

Thanks
There's two schools of thought when it comes to table PKs. One school is that "it should mirror the real world" which means your EventCustomers table would have a PK of EventId + CustomerId. The other is "your PK should always be a single unique ID" in which case your table would be EventCustomerId (PK), EventId, CustomerId. And then you'd want a unique constraint on those last 2 columns.

Neither methodology is right or wrong. There's strong arguments for both. The first is example eliminates "useless" extra columns. The second example can make it easier to program for.

JeansW
Aug 4, 2004
Yes. Like the jeans...
To add to this. My personal recommendation is the second example.

Your tables would be:
Event: EventId, other cols
EventCustomers: EventCustomerId, EventId, CustomerId
EventCustomersResponse: EventCustomerResponseId, EventCustomerId, Whatever cols go here.
EventCustomersResponseOptions:
EventCusomerResponseOptionId, EventCustomerResponseId, ResponseOptionId

JeansW fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 18, 2012

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

MattO posted:

I've got a question, too!

I have 2 tables (MSSQL 2008)

Table 1
user_idx (int unique identifier)
user_name

Table 2
picture_idx (int unique identifier)
user_idx (int)
upload_date (smalldatetime)
picture_name

Table 1 is a listing of unique users, each with a unique user_idx, Table 2 is a large list of uploaded photos, each having a unique picture_idx and tied to the user_idx from Table 1.

What I need is a query to pull the last uploaded photo for all users so that I end up with something like:
user_name - upload_date - picture_name

I'm doing it now by getting the users from Table 1 then doing separate queries from Table 2 to grab the info, but I know that ain't good, I'd like to be able to do it in a single query.

Thank you!

Do a join, with a subquery to get the last uploaded pictures for each user. If you need to get info on users who've never uploaded a picture, change the first join to a left join and check for null.

code:
SELECT
    Table1.user_name,
    SQ.upload_date,
    Table2.picture_name
FROM
    Table1
    JOIN Table2 ON Table1.user_idx = Table2.user_idx
    JOIN (
        SELECT
            user_idx,
            MAX(upload_date) AS upload_date
        FROM
            Table2
        GROUP BY
            user_idx
    ) AS SQ ON
        Table2.user_idx = SQ.user_idx AND
        Table2.upload_date = SQ.upload_date

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Hammerite posted:

Do a join, with a subquery to get the last uploaded pictures for each user. If you need to get info on users who've never uploaded a picture, change the first join to a left join and check for null.

Thanks! Works perfect!

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

JeansW posted:

There's two schools of thought when it comes to table PKs. One school is that "it should mirror the real world" which means your EventCustomers table would have a PK of EventId + CustomerId. The other is "your PK should always be a single unique ID" in which case your table would be EventCustomerId (PK), EventId, CustomerId. And then you'd want a unique constraint on those last 2 columns.

Neither methodology is right or wrong. There's strong arguments for both. The first is example eliminates "useless" extra columns. The second example can make it easier to program for.

Like JeansW said, there's no right or wrong when it comes to these things - the only universally correct answer is "it depends".

Having said that I agree with his second post and want to add that "the real world" changes ALL THE loving TIME, so a good data structure needs to be flexible enough to accommodate that.

Some people flip out about this sort of thing and say "well you shouldn't waste effort writing something based on potential future requirements", and to an extent they're right (see: gold plating). However when there's no real cost on future proofing something then in my opinion you'd be an idiot not to (and an extra column isn't a cost if you're using an RDBMS - these days the extra memory it will use might as well be 0).

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

JeansW posted:

Can you elaborate on how it makes it "easier to program for"? I've never understood the motivation for the practice of adding an artificial auto-incrementing primary key for tables which have an obvious composite key as a candidate primary key. I should like to be able to better understand the reasoning, though I suspect I would still be convinced it's a wrong thing to do.

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

Hammerite posted:

Can you elaborate on how it makes it "easier to program for"? I've never understood the motivation for the practice of adding an artificial auto-incrementing primary key for tables which have an obvious composite key as a candidate primary key. I should like to be able to better understand the reasoning, though I suspect I would still be convinced it's a wrong thing to do.

code:
SELECT ...
FROM some_table st
JOIN some_other_table sot
     ON  st.col1 = sot.col1
     AND st.col2 = sot.col2
     AND st.col3 = sot.col3
JOIN a_third_table att
     ON  sot.col4 = att.col4
     AND sot.col5 = att.col5
     AND sot.col6 = att.col6 
     AND sot.col7 = att.col7
vs

code:
SELECT ...
FROM some_table st
     ON  st.col1 = sot.col1
JOIN a_third_table att
     ON  sot.col4 = att.col4
The extendibility of a synthetic key is a much stronger argument for me though.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Goat Bastard posted:

code:
SELECT ...
FROM some_table st
     ON  st.col1 = sot.col1
     AND st.col2 = sot.col2
     AND st.col3 = sot.col3
JOIN a_third_table att
     ON  sot.col4 = att.col4
     AND sot.col5 = att.col5
     AND sot.col6 = att.col6 
     AND sot.col7 = att.col7
vs

code:
SELECT ...
FROM some_table st
     ON  st.col1 = sot.col1
JOIN a_third_table att
     ON  sot.col4 = att.col4
The extendibility of a synthetic key is a much stronger argument for me though.

Each of those is just as "easy" as the other though? :confused: The most you can say is that one takes longer to read than the other. But it takes no longer to understand.

It would be handy if SQL allowed you to use shorthand like

ON st.(col1, col2, col3) = sot.(col1, col2, col3)

or

ON st.PRIMARY = sot.<foreign key name>

but it doesn't, c'est la vie.

I also don't know what you mean by extendibility.

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

Hammerite posted:

Each of those is just as "easy" as the other though? :confused: The most you can say is that one takes longer to read than the other. But it takes no longer to understand.

It would be handy if SQL allowed you to use shorthand like

or

ON st.PRIMARY = sot.<foreign key name>

but it doesn't, c'est la vie.

I also don't know what you mean by extendibility.

Really I meant that it's more annoying to write. But yea you're right that's not a big deal and I would never use it myself as an argument for/against synthetic keys.

By extensibility I'm talking about the point I tried to make in the post before that. Referring to G-Dub's example:

G-Dub posted:

The obvious natural PK to the EventCustomer table is (event_id, customer_id), but then what if you get thrown the additional requirement that each customer can respond multiple times to one event (maybe they're suddenly allowed to decline then attend it, or attend it multiple times for some brain-dead business reason or something). I'm not saying this is a comprehensive reason to use a synthetic key over a natural one, but it's helped me out more than once at no extra cost, so these days it's a no-brainer to me (except in many-many join tables - I'm still on the fence there, leaning towards the composite key).

Plus it's kind of annoying (although like I said, no real cost) to have multiple columns for a foreign key to one table.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

But it does you fools! The only caveat is that they columns must have the same name, otherwise you have to use the ON clause.

code:
SELECT * FROM a
INNER JOIN b USING (col1, col2, col3)
This is also useful because it removes the duplicate columns that would normally show up with the ON clause.

JeansW
Aug 4, 2004
Yes. Like the jeans...

MEAT TREAT posted:

code:
SELECT * FROM a
INNER JOIN b USING (col1, col2, col3)
This is also useful because it removes the duplicate columns that would normally show up with the ON clause.

Not supported in MS SQL Server or Sybase unfortunately.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

JeansW posted:

Not supported in MS SQL Server or Sybase unfortunately.

:laffo: that was added to the spec 20 years ago!

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

MEAT TREAT posted:

:laffo: that was added to the spec 20 years ago!

I don't even think of the language as SQL when I use Microsoft stuff, I think "Ok, this is T-SQL." Same with Oracle, same with MySQL - if you have to switch between the three regularly, it's an absolute pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pretty dumb question, but can you not concattwo fields of different data types?

I have an INT and a varchar but this isn't working:

SELECT categoryID, categoryName + count AS categoryNameAndCount
FROM categories

but when I run it strictly get just the ID and count. I've also tried;

SELECT categoryID, CONCAT(categoryName + count) AS name
FROM categories

Using phpmyadmin