Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Anne Whateley posted:

That's not all hormonal bc, it's types with estrogen specifically. Mirena is progestin-only. Link

e: hella beaten! Sorry

BIRTH CONTROL KNOWLEDGE :) :respek: :)

Kimmalah posted:

I doubt it would be too difficult. Birth control pills are prescribed for all sorts of stuff that have nothing to do with babies and aren't necessarily considered off label either. For example, Ortho Tri-Cyclen's big selling point was the prevention of acne and it's actually FDA approved for that use. And I know plenty of people who take them for migraine prevention, lighter/regular periods, etc.

For the specific question, I don't have personal experience with it but I have heard of people combining methods like that - like taking the pill to control irregular or heavy periods from IUDs and stuff like that.

Yeah this makes sense. I've run into docs who were way more prudent that this so I guess I carry that with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
My doctor gave zero fucks about getting me on birth control even though I've been sterilized a decade ago, just so I could end my period.

I'm 34 so he assured me that the age 35 thing is garbage and not at all in line with current knowledge or research.
You can take combined hormonal birth control safely until your 50s, unless you smoke or have existing health issues.

And he didn't say it like "Ohhh I can see why you'd be concerned", he said it like "Why would you even think being over 35 matters, you quit smoking so wtf?"

This is not a thing, people.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I think everyone thinks it's a thing because we've been told it's a thing forever. Hell, it was even printed on the warnings on my pill packs when I took the pill.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I've always been told that too, and I had no reason to question it. I don't smoke and I'm in my mid-20s so its not something I'd be looking into either.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I went for an ultrasound to look for my iud today, did the regular and transvaginal kind. She pointed it out on the screen to me, it looked like it was just laying against the top (bottom)? And now I'm going to go crazy until I find out anything on April 1st. I wish I knew what the heck I was looking at otherwise in terms of the little heat signatures and everything. If it has to come out, I'm already convinced I don't want it back in. :sigh:
E: I had so many questions while the transvaginal ultrasound was happening, I basically only asked if she could see he iud which she then pointed out and it was a trip, but I wanted to know what the little heat signature clusters were, if there was anything out of the ordinary etc. Nope, I guess if anything is really bad, doctor will call in a few days. Waiting really is the worst when it comes to birth control.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 17, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Geolicious posted:

I think everyone thinks it's a thing because we've been told it's a thing forever. Hell, it was even printed on the warnings on my pill packs when I took the pill.

My guess is either it was a thing back in the old days of birth control when the hormone doses were insanely high compared to today's pills or it's just one of those old myths that a lot of doctors still believe (similar to the "you can't have an IUD if you haven't had kids" thing).

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Toriori posted:

I went for an ultrasound to look for my iud today, did the regular and transvaginal kind. She pointed it out on the screen to me, it looked like it was just laying against the top (bottom)? And now I'm going to go crazy until I find out anything on April 1st. I wish I knew what the heck I was looking at otherwise in terms of the little heat signatures and everything. If it has to come out, I'm already convinced I don't want it back in. :sigh:
E: I had so many questions while the transvaginal ultrasound was happening, I basically only asked if she could see he iud which she then pointed out and it was a trip, but I wanted to know what the little heat signature clusters were, if there was anything out of the ordinary etc. Nope, I guess if anything is really bad, doctor will call in a few days. Waiting really is the worst when it comes to birth control.

Don't panic yet. I've had three Mirenas and twice the string disappeared just because my uterus likes to suck them up apparently. The IUD was still in place just fine, but the strings weren't accessible. It makes removal less fun but it had no effect on how the IUD works we birth control. So just because the strings are missing doesn't mean you're going to need it removed. Try to relax until you hear back from the doc.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I have some IUD questions for anyone that has experience inserting them.

I previously had a copper IUD inserted when I was about 23, but my boyfriend could feel the strings. Like, they poked him in the dick. The first time we had sex after insertion, he flew across the room and yelled "something bit my dick".

We tried various positions and waited it out, but he could always feel them. The OB who inserted it trimmed the string quite short, so that they were just poking out of my cervix, but he could still feel them, especially during certain times of my cycle. I had it removed adn had a new one inserted thinking maybe it was inserted at an angle. The same thing happened. And then my sister got pregnant on a copper IUD so I freaked and had it removed.

Now it's 6 years later and my boyfriend and I are married, and I've been on Nuva Ring since then. I really want to stop taking hormonal birth control. I have chronic depression and anxiety, and I have some chronic pain issues and a bit of a magnesium deficiency that hormones are making worse. I've also started getting perioral dermatitis, which is strongly related to hormonal imbalances.

The same lady inserted both my previous IUD's. Is it possible a new OB will have better luck with positioning? Is it possible my cervix has changed shape in the last 6 years, making an IUD a better fit? Does that happen? Do I have the option of leaving the strings quite a bit longer, so that they aren't anywhere near the head of my husband's penis, and instead are laying flush between his shaft and my vaginal wall?

Help meeeeee

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

How long did you have it? And yes, longer strings will curl back and the pointy ends will face back.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I'm not really sure the angle of the IUD is really an issue here. I don't think there's even that much room in there for the IUD to be shifted around in your uterus during insertion (unless you're like fresh off of a pregnancy or something).

Anyway, I have Paragard and my strings have always been on the long side. Nobody ever felt them so I've never had them trimmed. They do tend to curl back or get pushed back up in there during sex - if you're really worried you could reach in and push them back beforehand too. If you can at all manage it, it really helps to give it some time too. New IUD strings are pretty stiff and they will get softer after a while. Mine have gotten so soft that sometimes I have a tough time feeling them even with my fingers.

You could always just talk to the doctor doing the insertion and explain that you've had problems with the strings during sex, they may know exactly how to handle that.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
Going today to get a Mirena. I was initially planning on just getting my tubes tied but due to another medical issue I have to have surgery on my TONGUE in 2 weeks so having another surgery is just out of the question right now. I had a copper IUD for several years (posted about this in here a few mos ago) but it started making my periods horrible so I got it removed. I'm really hoping the Mirena is nicer to me than the Paragard. I'm also hoping the insertion feels like being nuzzled by a unicorn.

Since I've been off of any BC for over a month now, I've taken 4 pregnancy tests (my cycle was wonky from getting the Paragard out and my period was 4 days late) and 1 Plan B even though we use spermicide and a condom or spermicide+withdrawal (I know, that's pretty freaking stupid). It is almost debilitating how worried I am about getting pregnant. :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Pig Head posted:

Going today to get a Mirena. I was initially planning on just getting my tubes tied but due to another medical issue I have to have surgery on my TONGUE in 2 weeks so having another surgery is just out of the question right now. I had a copper IUD for several years (posted about this in here a few mos ago) but it started making my periods horrible so I got it removed. I'm really hoping the Mirena is nicer to me than the Paragard. I'm also hoping the insertion feels like being nuzzled by a unicorn.

Since I've been off of any BC for over a month now, I've taken 4 pregnancy tests (my cycle was wonky from getting the Paragard out and my period was 4 days late) and 1 Plan B even though we use spermicide and a condom or spermicide+withdrawal (I know, that's pretty freaking stupid). It is almost debilitating how worried I am about getting pregnant. :(

The Plan B is pretty notorious for messing up your menstrual cycle for a while, which probably isn't going to help the anxiety. And then Mirena will also probably make you pretty irregular or possibly make your periods stop so just a heads up.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

GoodBee posted:

How long did you have it? And yes, longer strings will curl back and the pointy ends will face back.

I think I had it about 6 months? It was the most effective birth control I ever had - we didn't have any sex. Every time we tried it bit him. I will ask my doctor for a referral to an OB all my sisters and mom see. She is apparently the poo poo. Maybe we'll try leaving the strings quite long. Husband says he's game to try again because hormonal bc is the worst.

Eien Ni Hen
Jul 23, 2013
So...I have a nagging question about the ban on sex selective abortions that may soon go into effect in the UK, and I figured this would be the best thread to ask.

Relevant link: MPs' move could outlaw gender abortion within months

Specifically, how would authorities enforce this ban? What's to stop someone from lying about why they want an abortion?

Could someone from the UK explain the reason for this ban to the clueless American (me)? I'm genuinely curious about it.

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

Eien Ni Hen posted:

So...I have a nagging question about the ban on sex selective abortions that may soon go into effect in the UK, and I figured this would be the best thread to ask.

Relevant link: MPs' move could outlaw gender abortion within months

Specifically, how would authorities enforce this ban? What's to stop someone from lying about why they want an abortion?

Could someone from the UK explain the reason for this ban to the clueless American (me)? I'm genuinely curious about it.
It was almost certainly a back-door effort to make it harder to get an abortion - there have already been attempts to reduce the abortion time limit etc introduced by various individual MPs in this Parliament, largely stemming from said individual MP's personal views on abortion. It's already illegal to abort a foetus purely because it's female although I would think that's difficult to enforce unless you march into the doctors and announce you want an abortion for that reason. That said, although abortion is legal up to 24 weeks (for a healthy foetus, I think there's no limit if abortion is deemed medically necessary eg the mother's life is in danger), the NHS says 90% take place before 13 weeks, and I don't think you can tell the sex until 16 weeks+ so possibly doctors are inclined to ask more questions if you suddenly decide you want an abortion at that stage.
This motion didn't have official government (or opposition) backing though, and it was debated in February and rejected by the House of Commons: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31596968. MPs tend to have a free vote on these types of 'moral' issues (ie the parties tend not to use the whip to force them to vote in line with what the party wants) and it was defeated by a reasonable majority of 91. Parliament has just been prorogued prior to the general election in May so it's unlikely to come up again very soon.

UK folks, you can see if/how your MP voted on this here: http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2015-02-23&number=157&display=allpossible&sort=name. If you don't like they way they voted, why not email them and ask them to explain themselves? Their job is to represent you.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Thinly veiled anti-choice mixed with thinly veiled racism (culturalism? I'm blanking on the right term here).
Sex selective abortion is a huge thing in China and India, and so the scaaaary immigrants need to be stopped. It's a problem but limiting abortion is not the answer. And it being called "sex selective" when only female fetuses are the ones ever getting terminated is... ugh.

Googling "sex selective abortion" will open up the shitstorm for ya.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Kimmalah posted:

The Plan B is pretty notorious for messing up your menstrual cycle for a while, which probably isn't going to help the anxiety. And then Mirena will also probably make you pretty irregular or possibly make your periods stop so just a heads up.
Well the Mirena wouldn't go in. Even after a very painful shot of lidocaine my cervix still wouldn't cooperate. I'm just going to do the Depo shot for 1 or 2 rounds till I can get my tubes tied. I can't ever go thru that experience again.

And yes I'm aware of the irregularity which really sucks but is something I have to deal with. Maybe I am overly paranoid about such things but I'm calming down about it. At least the shot will be effective quickly because I'm getting it when my period starts in a few days.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Echeveria posted:

I have some IUD questions for anyone that has experience inserting them.

I previously had a copper IUD inserted when I was about 23, but my boyfriend could feel the strings. Like, they poked him in the dick. The first time we had sex after insertion, he flew across the room and yelled "something bit my dick".

We tried various positions and waited it out, but he could always feel them. The OB who inserted it trimmed the string quite short, so that they were just poking out of my cervix, but he could still feel them, especially during certain times of my cycle. I had it removed adn had a new one inserted thinking maybe it was inserted at an angle. The same thing happened. And then my sister got pregnant on a copper IUD so I freaked and had it removed.

Now it's 6 years later and my boyfriend and I are married, and I've been on Nuva Ring since then. I really want to stop taking hormonal birth control. I have chronic depression and anxiety, and I have some chronic pain issues and a bit of a magnesium deficiency that hormones are making worse. I've also started getting perioral dermatitis, which is strongly related to hormonal imbalances.

The same lady inserted both my previous IUD's. Is it possible a new OB will have better luck with positioning? Is it possible my cervix has changed shape in the last 6 years, making an IUD a better fit? Does that happen? Do I have the option of leaving the strings quite a bit longer, so that they aren't anywhere near the head of my husband's penis, and instead are laying flush between his shaft and my vaginal wall?

Help meeeeee

Making your strings short was the worst possible thing. Long strings soften and curl back. My husband hits my cervix all the time and never feels them at all.

Eien Ni Hen
Jul 23, 2013

radioaktivitat posted:

It was almost certainly a back-door effort to make it harder to get an abortion - there have already been attempts to reduce the abortion time limit etc introduced by various individual MPs in this Parliament, largely stemming from said individual MP's personal views on abortion. It's already illegal to abort a foetus purely because it's female although I would think that's difficult to enforce unless you march into the doctors and announce you want an abortion for that reason. That said, although abortion is legal up to 24 weeks (for a healthy foetus, I think there's no limit if abortion is deemed medically necessary eg the mother's life is in danger), the NHS says 90% take place before 13 weeks, and I don't think you can tell the sex until 16 weeks+ so possibly doctors are inclined to ask more questions if you suddenly decide you want an abortion at that stage.
This motion didn't have official government (or opposition) backing though, and it was debated in February and rejected by the House of Commons: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31596968. MPs tend to have a free vote on these types of 'moral' issues (ie the parties tend not to use the whip to force them to vote in line with what the party wants) and it was defeated by a reasonable majority of 91. Parliament has just been prorogued prior to the general election in May so it's unlikely to come up again very soon.

UK folks, you can see if/how your MP voted on this here: http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2015-02-23&number=157&display=allpossible&sort=name. If you don't like they way they voted, why not email them and ask them to explain themselves? Their job is to represent you.

Scudworth posted:

Thinly veiled anti-choice mixed with thinly veiled racism (culturalism? I'm blanking on the right term here).
Sex selective abortion is a huge thing in China and India, and so the scaaaary immigrants need to be stopped. It's a problem but limiting abortion is not the answer. And it being called "sex selective" when only female fetuses are the ones ever getting terminated is... ugh.

Googling "sex selective abortion" will open up the shitstorm for ya.

Welp, mystery solved. I'm glad to hear that it didn't pass, because it really does sound racially motivated (and dumb). It sucks that anti-choice rhetoric like that even exists in the UK.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Does or did anyone get persistent headaches with Mirena? I usually would get one whopping migraine a month but I am getting almost daily headaches now and the only big difference in my life as of later has been Mirena. I had a doctors appointment last week and brought it up and he said a very small percentage of people who have Mirena got headaches which made me doubt myself but it's really impacting my day to day functions. They usually start up around the early afternoon.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Pig Head posted:

Well the Mirena wouldn't go in. Even after a very painful shot of lidocaine my cervix still wouldn't cooperate. I'm just going to do the Depo shot for 1 or 2 rounds till I can get my tubes tied. I can't ever go thru that experience again.

And yes I'm aware of the irregularity which really sucks but is something I have to deal with. Maybe I am overly paranoid about such things but I'm calming down about it. At least the shot will be effective quickly because I'm getting it when my period starts in a few days.

The Depo shot can also make your periods irregular or absent altogether. The only reason I mention it is because I know if you're already super anxious about pregnancy, not having periods because of birth control can ramp it up even higher so I thought it would be good to be aware.

Toriori posted:

Does or did anyone get persistent headaches with Mirena? I usually would get one whopping migraine a month but I am getting almost daily headaches now and the only big difference in my life as of later has been Mirena. I had a doctors appointment last week and brought it up and he said a very small percentage of people who have Mirena got headaches which made me doubt myself but it's really impacting my day to day functions. They usually start up around the early afternoon.

I know when I was considering Mirena (due to migraines too!) I shied away from it partially because headache was listed among the most common side-effects. And even if it was a rare side-effect, you can still always be one of the "lucky" ones. :shrug:

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Kimmalah posted:

The Depo shot can also make your periods irregular or absent altogether. The only reason I mention it is because I know if you're already super anxious about pregnancy, not having periods because of birth control can ramp it up even higher so I thought it would be good to be aware.
Thanks. I do really appreciate it. My doctor put me on the spot after the Depo shot yesterday and asked, 'So, Pig Head what are the signs of pregnancy?' I could only come up with nausea, which is fairly pathetic, I know, but I was also kind of distracted by getting the shot. I guess I will have to keep a close eye out for the main pregnancy symptoms. Ideally I will be able to get my tubes tied in the next 6 months if I see I'm not enjoying having irregular periods or have weird Depo side effects. So far I feel like it's making this current period (got the shot yesterday on day 1) heavier than last month but that's normal.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Scudworth posted:

My doctor gave zero fucks about getting me on birth control even though I've been sterilized a decade ago, just so I could end my period.

I'm 34 so he assured me that the age 35 thing is garbage and not at all in line with current knowledge or research.
You can take combined hormonal birth control safely until your 50s, unless you smoke or have existing health issues.

And he didn't say it like "Ohhh I can see why you'd be concerned", he said it like "Why would you even think being over 35 matters, you quit smoking so wtf?"

This is not a thing, people.

at the age of 32, my mother was convinced by our family physician to get her tubes tied because "birth control would kill [my mother]". this was the same doctor who once told me i was "the kind of person who would get AIDS", so i think it's pretty accurate to say she was incompetent

question! i'm on the minipill right now (so, progestin only). i've been on it for more than two months, but i got my period about ten days ago and i've been spotting consistently since it stopped. it's stopped now, and for the record, i have been extremely stressed out. i'm going to talk to my doctor about it soon, but i was just curious if this has ever happened to anyone else and if so, if you had to discontinue it. i am medically ineligible to take the combined pill and this is the only brand available in canada, and i'm sort of running out of options

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

irregular periods and spotting are a pretty common side effect of progesterone-only contraception in general, it's nothing to worry about :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

cash crab posted:

at the age of 32, my mother was convinced by our family physician to get her tubes tied because "birth control would kill [my mother]". this was the same doctor who once told me i was "the kind of person who would get AIDS", so i think it's pretty accurate to say she was incompetent

question! i'm on the minipill right now (so, progestin only). i've been on it for more than two months, but i got my period about ten days ago and i've been spotting consistently since it stopped. it's stopped now, and for the record, i have been extremely stressed out. i'm going to talk to my doctor about it soon, but i was just curious if this has ever happened to anyone else and if so, if you had to discontinue it. i am medically ineligible to take the combined pill and this is the only brand available in canada, and i'm sort of running out of options

Irregular periods/spotting are pretty normal for any progestin-only birth control. As far as I know it's not a sign of anything wrong, so continuing it comes down to whether or not you want to deal with it.

Also there are lots of other options available if you're willing to consider longer acting birth control like the implant, shot or IUDs. All of which are either progestin only or non-hormonal.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Kimmalah posted:

Irregular periods/spotting are pretty normal for any progestin-only birth control. As far as I know it's not a sign of anything wrong, so continuing it comes down to whether or not you want to deal with it.

Also there are lots of other options available if you're willing to consider longer acting birth control like the implant, shot or IUDs. All of which are either progestin only or non-hormonal.

i will talk to my doctor when i go back in. i don't think the implants are available here, but he was unwilling to let me have the shot because of the idea that if i react badly to it (which i did with every other bc even before i found out i'm not allowed to take them) there's no take-backsies. i'd love that, though. taking them at exactly the same time every day gives me a bit of anxiety for some reason.

also, i love the idea of IUDs especially because i think there's a good possibility that i'm not going to be having kids, but to be honest, they also do kind of freak me out. i hear a lot of horror stories about them, ranging from "it was poking out of my cervix and poking my boyfriend in the dick" to "i took mine out and half my hair fell out" to "it just like, walked away in there, idk man"

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

cash crab posted:

i will talk to my doctor when i go back in. i don't think the implants are available here, but he was unwilling to let me have the shot because of the idea that if i react badly to it (which i did with every other bc even before i found out i'm not allowed to take them) there's no take-backsies. i'd love that, though. taking them at exactly the same time every day gives me a bit of anxiety for some reason.

also, i love the idea of IUDs especially because i think there's a good possibility that i'm not going to be having kids, but to be honest, they also do kind of freak me out. i hear a lot of horror stories about them, ranging from "it was poking out of my cervix and poking my boyfriend in the dick" to "i took mine out and half my hair fell out" to "it just like, walked away in there, idk man"

Well it helps to keep in mind that the internet is heavily skewed towards the horror stories, because most people don't feel the need to talk about how everything's fine and they haven't had any problems. You can search out every method of birth control in existence and find nothing but horrible stuff about it, when in reality they're usually rare occurrences.

And IUDs have nothing to do with your future fertility, so even if you plan to have kids later they're still a good option.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Kimmalah posted:

Well it helps to keep in mind that the internet is heavily skewed towards the horror stories, because most people don't feel the need to talk about how everything's fine and they haven't had any problems. You can search out every method of birth control in existence and find nothing but horrible stuff about it, when in reality they're usually rare occurrences.

And IUDs have nothing to do with your future fertility, so even if you plan to have kids later they're still a good option.

oh, i know, but having something i can leave in there for like, what, five to ten years? sounds pretty appealing. and you're right. i looked up the horror stories for the one i'm on now (micronor) and so far, with the exception of the spotting i wouldn't even have noticed i was on it. i'm pretty convinced that my stress levels might have contributed to the spotting, as i've heard that is a thing that can actually happen even if you're not on bc

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

cash crab posted:

oh, i know, but having something i can leave in there for like, what, five to ten years? sounds pretty appealing. and you're right. i looked up the horror stories for the one i'm on now (micronor) and so far, with the exception of the spotting i wouldn't even have noticed i was on it. i'm pretty convinced that my stress levels might have contributed to the spotting, as i've heard that is a thing that can actually happen even if you're not on bc

Yeah stress definitely could be a factor as well. I had spotting off and on even on combined birth control pills.

And just so I don't sound completely like I'm preaching about the wonders of IUDs, I do understand your nervousness about it. I almost got a Mirena and totally chickened out of it at the last second because it was so long-term/possible side-effects before I got the Paragard a few years later (after I kind of got fed up with hormones). It is a little freaky to think about implanting something in your body if you haven't done it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Birth control implants are absolutely available in Canada. NOPE :canada:

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 6, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Scudworth posted:

Birth control implants are absolutely available in Canada.

:( seriously? he told me that they weren't. well, that's good, that's another option.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

cash crab posted:

:( seriously? he told me that they weren't. well, that's good, that's another option.

Wait hold up, apparently it was taken off the market here in 2000 which explains my confusion since I knew chicks who had it in highschool/college.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I have a Paragard and before that I had a Mirena, so it's been a couple years of IUDs for me. Recently, I've started bleeding during or after intercourse. Sometimes it will be quite a bit, and other times it'll just be some very minor spotting. My cycle got super short on the Paragard (23 days) so I initially thought I was just having sex too close to either end of my period, but now it's apparent that they're separate events. My OBGYN said to basically not worry about it, but didn't tell me why it might be happening. Anyone else have this happen? Should I be worried about cervical cancer or unseating my IUD or something?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Scudworth posted:

Wait hold up, apparently it was taken off the market here in 2000 which explains my confusion since I knew chicks who had it in highschool/college.

oh, well that blows. PS: I just looked it up. I'm medically ineligible for Depo, too. :smith:

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I have a Paragard and before that I had a Mirena, so it's been a couple years of IUDs for me. Recently, I've started bleeding during or after intercourse. Sometimes it will be quite a bit, and other times it'll just be some very minor spotting. My cycle got super short on the Paragard (23 days) so I initially thought I was just having sex too close to either end of my period, but now it's apparent that they're separate events. My OBGYN said to basically not worry about it, but didn't tell me why it might be happening. Anyone else have this happen? Should I be worried about cervical cancer or unseating my IUD or something?

How long ago did you get the Paraguard?

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
I have a question for you all: I'm on sronyx (combined BCP), and have been for years. I would skip the placebo week as I didn't like my period ( I got spoiled from not having on on Depo, which was my birth control before sronyx).

Last year I took a 10 month break from hormonal birth control and started up again in September 2014. Ever since then, my period has been coming in the middle of the hormonal part of the pill cycle, not during the placebo week (which I'm not skipping anymore). The start day seems to be variable.

Does this mean the hormones aren't being effective? I know when you're on birth control pills it's not a 'real' period, but it is a bit concerning and I would like to know why my body all of a sudden decided to say gently caress it and bleed whenever it wants.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

compshateme85 posted:

I have a question for you all: I'm on sronyx (combined BCP), and have been for years. I would skip the placebo week as I didn't like my period ( I got spoiled from not having on on Depo, which was my birth control before sronyx).

Last year I took a 10 month break from hormonal birth control and started up again in September 2014. Ever since then, my period has been coming in the middle of the hormonal part of the pill cycle, not during the placebo week (which I'm not skipping anymore). The start day seems to be variable.

Does this mean the hormones aren't being effective? I know when you're on birth control pills it's not a 'real' period, but it is a bit concerning and I would like to know why my body all of a sudden decided to say gently caress it and bleed whenever it wants.

Are you getting a period during the placebo week, as well?

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

cash crab posted:

Are you getting a period during the placebo week, as well?

No

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

That's kind of bizarre, but I don't think it sounds incredibly ~fatal~ or anything. You can talk to your doctor, but I had something like that happen on... something or another. Some stupid birth control I took when I was younger. It sorted itself out after a while.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

cash crab posted:

How long ago did you get the Paraguard?

15 months ago or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

cash crab posted:

That's kind of bizarre, but I don't think it sounds incredibly ~fatal~ or anything. You can talk to your doctor, but I had something like that happen on... something or another. Some stupid birth control I took when I was younger. It sorted itself out after a while.

Great, thank you. I was pretty sure it was nothing but some reassurance always helps.

• Locked thread