Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Unmature posted:

What are the best jobs to start out with?

Basically just aim for whatever advanced vocations sound good to you. Getting someone in priest is a great idea for obvious reasons, you can find a healslime heart that teaches most of the heals, which is great for Ruff since he'll always go first, and Thief has nice utility out of battle skills. Beyond that though most of the basic vocations just have early-midgame skills that become obsolete later, which is why you want to shoot for the advanced ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Leave Ruff as Shepherd forever.
Sleepy Sheep/Wolf/Boy taking a nap on Sheep/Wolf is ridiculously adorable.

That was the class I immediately stuck him in. Wolf in sheep's clothing! :haw:

Anyway, what's the earliest point in the game that you can get Mervyn? I just finished both parts of the Alltrade Abbey arc, and I want to spend as little time at less then a full party as possible.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jeedy Jay posted:

Anyway, what's the earliest point in the game that you can get Mervyn? I just finished both parts of the Alltrade Abbey arc, and I want to spend as little time at less then a full party as possible.

Immediately after you get the flying carpet, so you still have a couple islands to do with 3 people. Basically after you finish the Sunken Citadel is when he's available

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jeedy Jay posted:

You can get him after finishing Wetlock, which is still a fair ways to go for you. After finishing Wetlock, you can get the magic carpet, which is the only prerequisite for the quest line that ends with recruiting Mervyn. It takes place entirely in the present.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Thanks guys! I picked Priest for Hero, Thief for Ruff and Mage for Maribel. Now to just step into this pool that this nice beardy guys is pointing out.

Aaaaaand done! Three brand new classes. Love this game.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 4, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
every island has been overrun with monsters, I'm not really sure why people expect Alltrades to be any different

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Looper posted:

every island has been overrun with monsters, I'm not really sure why people expect Alltrades to be any different

It's real funny that it goes so far as to present you with the class selection menu.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I don't know what you guys are talking about.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Unmature posted:

Thanks guys! I picked Priest for Hero, Thief for Ruff and Mage for Maribel. Now to just step into this pool that this nice beardy guys is pointing out.

Aaaaaand done! Three brand new classes. Love this game.
I enjoyed this post.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

elf help book posted:

It's real funny that it goes so far as to present you with the class selection menu.

very agreed

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah I almost believed for a second that one would go through and I loving already played the game on the psx.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
This coming out at the same time as MST is a cruel trick. I'm only 15 hours in.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Holy loving poo poo the bosses in the Alltrades Abbey dungeon are bullshit.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Unmature posted:

the Alltrades Abbey dungeon is bullshit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don't think any of them are supposed to beaten up until the rematch with Rashers and Stripes, and they're nerfed then. After that you get your old skills back and can go back to the Bang/Boomerang pain train.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Looper posted:

In my case it wasn't so much 'thinking' as 'really, really loving hope to the exclusion of all logic".
In my first playthrough my experience was basically.
-Go to Island.
"Job system yet?"
No.
Repeat about 8 times and then I finally saw the job system right in front of me and...
It couldn't just be another greenthumbs or first statue city could it? It had to be freaking difficult.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy gently caress the Envoy. Can't stop his sleep move.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Detective No. 27 posted:

yep....

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Detective No. 27 posted:

get maribel to the top of the wisdom ranking contest and you get a tiara headpiece that protects against sleep, fuddle, and some other statuses.
you'll have to do a little sidequest first, but it'll net you the canny cap and between that and scholar specs toping the wisdom rankings with most any character at that point in the game should be pretty straightforward.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AriadneThread posted:

get maribel to the top of the wisdom ranking contest and you get a tiara headpiece that protects against sleep, fuddle, and some other statuses.
you'll have to do a little sidequest first, but it'll net you the canny cap and between that and scholar specs toping the wisdom rankings with most any character at that point in the game should be pretty straightforward.

*shoves wisdom seeds in Maribel's mouth.*

Where is this sidequest?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Detective No. 27 posted:

*shoves wisdom seeds in Maribel's mouth.*

Where is this sidequest?

you can do after finishing things in wetlock present. i think maybe even right after? if not, then at least one island after.
go to el ciclo and check the rankings, there's a new guy at the top that isn't the wetlock scholar. go back to wetlock and visit his house. quest should be pretty straightforward from there, no fighting just some traveling and talking.

e:

after getting aishe, the rankings change and the stats you need to hit to reach top shoot up, so getting to the top of the boards is probably easiest right before you lose maribel.
i think you need somewhere around 110-130 to top wisdom? also it's 100 something for strength on ruff or hero if you want some mighty armlets.
if you get melvin or hero to the top of the wisdom rankings you get an intelli-helm which has some good defense + boosts wisdom, but i don't think it provides any protection against status effects

AriadneThread fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 4, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I beat the Envoy by keeping my party under Bounce all the time using a Rippling Rapier. It was pretty touch-and-go though.

But I didn't realize that about the rankings. I guess I'll just do them at endgame. Oh well.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm sincerely enjoying the updated script with all the accents and bits of other languages (even if it's a bit eurocentric) but I really wish characters would stop translating themselves

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Cumulus Vex!!! :argh:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm in the 1st dungeon and am enjoying the game quite a bit. It's crazy how long it actually takes for you to actually battle anything though.

The overworld feels a little clunky and the camera kind of sucks on it too.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'd forgotten how changing your class doesn't impact what sort of gear you can equip, that's a refreshing change of pace from more modern games.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's not a very good moral, present Faraday.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm surprised to see SO many people mention how long it takes to get to a fight, even on game podcasts. Am I the only one who plays Persona games?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've only played P3P but you get in a tutorial fight at like the very beginning of that iirc? Or is it just a cutscene when the dorm is attacked? I forget. It's kind of different though because in Persona 3 (and 4?) you only have battles in dungeons, whereas most JRPGs will have you get random encounters on the overworld also. DQ7 doesn't until you get to the first island though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Can you save anywhere in DQVII? It's tough for me to want to play handheld games that still use console save schemes.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Pretty much, you got a quicksave option in dungeons and world map.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Unmature posted:

I'm surprised to see SO many people mention how long it takes to get to a fight, even on game podcasts. Am I the only one who plays Persona games?

I think it's more surprising to see it in a Dragon Quest title. You're usually fighting a slime within scant minutes of starting the game.

Levantine posted:

Can you save anywhere in DQVII? It's tough for me to want to play handheld games that still use console save schemes.

There is a quick save option under Misc.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Cool beans, I think I'll pick it up then. I have a soft spot for DQVII in general, it's such a weirdly paced, long rear end game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im going to try and make a Metal Slime mega grinding tablet. Where can I find Liquid Metal Slimes? I don't think I ever came across those. I know where to find Kings and regular metals, even if capturing them is going to be a pain

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I don't know everywhere they show up but I've seen them in the Beacon, both past and present.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go grind vocations for a bit. Cumulus Vex's Thin Air keeps killing me. I'm sorry little girl that I can't help your family who are all now dying from gravity. Most of your angel race are kinda assholes though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Cumulus Vex/Hell Cloud is a super rude dude, but I believe in you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a way to guarantee a tablet dungeon only has one type of enemy in it? Do you need to get the triple team of one type to do it?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

In Training posted:

Is there a way to guarantee a tablet dungeon only has one type of enemy in it? Do you need to get the triple team of one type to do it?

You literally can't do this. You have to send 3 unique species and they can also generate other monsters that spawned with them on the world map.

The only single monster tablets are the guarenteed ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zore posted:

You literally can't do this. You have to send 3 unique species and they can also generate other monsters that spawned with them on the world map.

The only single monster tablets are the guarenteed ones.

You can recruit multiples if you open a monster barn