Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm not trolling, but will the iPhone 4S on Sprint really be fast enough data-wise to use bandwidth-hungry apps (Slingbox, HBO GO, Netflix, etc)? When I tried Sprint about 6 months ago, the 3G EVDO rev.A data was painfully slow. Couldn't even watch Slingbox without constant blocks and freezes. Frustrating.

I mean, AT&T is not speed demon, but on my Nexus S I can easily stream all the above. I'm considering Sprint, but no way can I deal without having real 4G or LTE or at least a connection as fast as the current HSPA network on AT&T.

Thoughts? I just forecast a lot of pissed off people when it comes to consuming data heavy apps on Sprint since their 3G connection really isn't that fast. Add in a few million new users and, well, it can't get much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

thisdude23 posted:

the gentleman said that the iPhone, due to something (wasn't paying attention), was falling in this bracket.

Its pretty clearly based on the ever-changing, ethereal metric of "its gonna be popular."

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

hotsauce posted:

I'm not trolling, but will the iPhone 4S on Sprint really be fast enough data-wise to use bandwidth-hungry apps (Slingbox, HBO GO, Netflix, etc)? When I tried Sprint about 6 months ago, the 3G EVDO rev.A data was painfully slow. Couldn't even watch Slingbox without constant blocks and freezes. Frustrating.

I mean, AT&T is not speed demon, but on my Nexus S I can easily stream all the above. I'm considering Sprint, but no way can I deal without having real 4G or LTE or at least a connection as fast as the current HSPA network on AT&T.

Thoughts? I just forecast a lot of pissed off people when it comes to consuming data heavy apps on Sprint since their 3G connection really isn't that fast. Add in a few million new users and, well, it can't get much better.

For one, the data speed problem is only in certain places. Second, there are steps being taken to alleviate that problem - almost all of them as part of the Network Vision project. There will be more specific information about all of this tomorrow, though! :science:

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

hotsauce posted:

I use Netflix and Slingbox on my EVO 3D on 3G and don't usually have a problem. Sometimes there will be some freezing and buffering if I don't have the best service, but that's pretty unusual. I think it will depend on the coverage in your area more than anything else, not EVDO Rev A's capabilities.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I don't think I've ever seen an email from Sprint.. but if I'm 238 days away from the end of my Sprint contract, what's my options here?

Do I pre-order tonight at 3AM from Sprint or Apple if I want the iphone?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

thisdude23 posted:

iPhone is allowed on SERO but it will be $50, which is still cheaper than others. I was told that even though it's not 4G that because it is a premium phone it will run $50. I'm cool with that. :cool:

I still have the old SERO 500 plan... Can I make the switch online, or do I need to call someone? What do I say/ask for if I need to call them?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Telex posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an email from Sprint.. but if I'm 238 days away from the end of my Sprint contract, what's my options here?

Do I pre-order tonight at 3AM from Sprint or Apple if I want the iphone?

See me previous posts--I paid the ETF fee to buy out the rest of my contract as that was waaaaay cheaper than full price upgrade. Depending on what phone you have, a 238 day pro-rated ETF might not be that bad at all.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

heavy liquid posted:

I still have the old SERO 500 plan... Can I make the switch online, or do I need to call someone? What do I say/ask for if I need to call them?

Call the Retentions number in the OP. just tell them you're interested in switching over to SERO Premium to order XXX phone and they'll give you the details of your new plan.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

powderific posted:

See me previous posts--I paid the ETF fee to buy out the rest of my contract as that was waaaaay cheaper than full price upgrade. Depending on what phone you have, a 238 day pro-rated ETF might not be that bad at all.

I think mine is $180.

I don't mind sticking with Sprint, I just haven't seen any communication FROM sprint about what currently contracted customers can and should do about even buying the phone in the first place. It's almost like they don't give a poo poo about current customers.

eta:

So I log into the website and try to pre-order the iphone 4 8GB and they want me to pay $549.

The gently caress?

I could literally cancel my Sprint plan, pay $180 and go to Verizon and get the 4S (not the 4!) for $199 and save 50 bucks?

I should not have to jump through hoops to pay the same or less money for a phone. Yes, I can call someone and haggle and talk to them and tell them I want to do this or that but I've got poo poo to do and that doesn't involve playing customer service games when cancelling would be quicker and cheaper. :(

Telex fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 6, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

hotsauce posted:

We're going to have to find out tomorrow about the EVDO Rev.B upgrade which will increase 3G speeds, specifically which phones will be compatible with rev.B

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

thisdude23 posted:

Call the Retentions number in the OP. just tell them you're interested in switching over to SERO Premium to order XXX phone and they'll give you the details of your new plan.

Cool, thanks!

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Because of the big investment/commitment to Apple, have there been any speculation if this will diminish the number of Android/WP7/BB/etc smartphones that will be available?
I got no beef with Apple, but I'm pretty heavily invested in Android.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kynetx posted:

Because of the big investment/commitment to Apple, have there been any speculation if this will diminish the number of Android/WP7/BB/etc smartphones that will be available?

Me, too, and I'll be pretty pissed if Sprint stops carrying good Android phones because of the iPhone.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Telex posted:

I should not have to jump through hoops to pay the same or less money for a phone. Yes, I can call someone and haggle and talk to them and tell them I want to do this or that but I've got poo poo to do and that doesn't involve playing customer service games when cancelling would be quicker and cheaper. :(

Dude, it seriously took me ten minutes. And, at least for me, Sprint's plans are much more affordable since early nights+weekends and free calling to all mobile numbers regardless of carrier let's me use the 450 minute plan, where on ATT or Verizon I'd have to pay for the next plan up. That extra money adds up pretty quick and, if you're in a similar situation, it's probably worth a 10 minute phone call.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Well, I just got off the phone with Cindy at Retentions about upgrading from SERO 500 to SERO Premium, and she informed me that I would not be able to put an iPhone on SERO Premium. She said "they're not allowing that" and you have to have an Everything plan for the iPhones. Do I call someone else, or try calling Retentions again later? Should I not have told her I was planning to put an iPhone on SERO Premium?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Wow, so I have an ETF of $70. I want to get an iPhone. They WILL NOT let me buy out the $70. In fact they were pretty rude and said I could just cancel. What the gently caress.

Also told me iPhone wouldn't work on SERO, but that's beside the point.

edit: Just to clarify, I was not a jerk about it at all. I was completely polite. When about to get off the phone because the woman was being unhelpful she said to please hold for her supervisor, I didn't ask for this, that was odd, but I went ahead and did it. She proceded to tell me the same thing, so they wasted an extra 10-15 minutes of my time for nothing. I've never had a bad experience calling Sprint customer service before, it was a bit odd. Sucks though :\

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 6, 2011

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Telex posted:

So I log into the website and try to pre-order the iphone 4 8GB and they want me to pay $549.
Yeah, same here.

My situation is this: my contract is up in 25 days. Do I get the upgrade price, or the new plan price on a phone? I essentially went to a new contract two years ago, so I got the new customer pricing, so I don't know how I would fit into the scheme of things at the end of my current contract.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Did you guys try the SERO/EPRP telesales number listed in the OP? (866-264-1282)

Regular customer service (*2) doesn't always know what's up with SERO, I wouldn't be surprised if retentions "didn't get it" either.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Did you guys try the SERO/EPRP telesales number listed in the OP? (866-264-1282)

Regular customer service (*2) doesn't always know what's up with SERO, I wouldn't be surprised if retentions "didn't get it" either.

I tried Rententions from the OP - (877) 775-4886

Should I try the telesales number you posted? Do I preorder it with them over the phone or go online to do that? Or maybe that's a question for them.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, same here.

My situation is this: my contract is up in 25 days. Do I get the upgrade price, or the new plan price on a phone? I essentially went to a new contract two years ago, so I got the new customer pricing, so I don't know how I would fit into the scheme of things at the end of my current contract.

Pretty sure you get the same price as new people. I'm showing iPhone 4 for $99 after buying out my contract and resetting my line.

edit: ddogflex, that sound pretty lovely. Maybe you just got a person on a bad day? The person I talked to was really helpful. I can't imagine sprint would rather have you ditch than pay out on your current line. Losing subscribers is the last thing they need, especially subscribers who want to stay with them.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

powderific posted:

edit: ddogflex, that sound pretty lovely. Maybe you just got a person on a bad day? The person I talked to was really helpful. I can't imagine sprint would rather have you ditch than pay out on your current line. Losing subscribers is the last thing they need, especially subscribers who want to stay with them.

Yeah, that's the thing, it was her and her supervisor. The supervisor was less of a jerk about it, to be fair, but that didn't change that she wasn't helpful. I wonder if a lot of people have been calling about this and they decided to end it?

edit: Not that telling people to cancel when they would only have to pay a $70 ETF is smart. While SERO is cheaper than normal plans, it's not as if Sprint loses money on us. I have no reason to stay on Sprint without SERO, Verizon is cheaper for me due to employee discount. Blah blah.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 6, 2011

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Okay, I called the number ExcessBLarg! posted and spoke with Melanie. She confirmed that I would be able to put the iPhone on SERO for $50 bucks. According to her, I need to buy the phone first, and they will change the plan to SERO Premium when it's activated.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, for me it seemed like the deciding factor was that I had been getting yearly upgrades and then got stuck on the two year plan when they split Sprint Premiere into gold and silver. Did people on SERO qualify for Sprint Premiere? Maybe if you mentioned that specifically they'd let you. The guy told me that it was actually company policy to let people who had the Premiere change do what I did.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

heavy liquid posted:

According to her, I need to buy the phone first, and they will change the plan to SERO Premium when it's activated.
Unfortunately the $40 vs $50 SERO thing is stupidly complicated, but that's about the short of it.

So if you order the phone online, they might not let you order unless you're at least on SERO Premium ($40/mo), I'm not sure if that's exactly the case or not. But if you have trouble, call the same number and ask to be bumped to the $40/mo plan "immediately" (i.e., not at the next billing cycle). Confirm that your plan reads "SERO Premium 500" online, then attempt to order again. Then, while ordering it'll explain that it require premium data for $10/mo, totaling $50/mo.

Just to note, I've had trouble attempting to reactivate an old phone online, telling me that since it wasn't a 4G (or premium) device that I needed a plan change, and only offered non-SERO options. So if you ever have to do that, some combination of the SERO/EPRP number and *2 tech support should get it sorted out for you.

powderific posted:

Did people on SERO qualify for Sprint Premiere?
I don't think so. Since they were all individual plans I don't think any one of them met the base plan price minimum. And since SERO was only available to new customers and hadn't been around for ten years, nobody got premiere that way.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 6, 2011

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Unfortunately the $40 vs $50 SERO thing is stupidly complicated, but that's about the short of it.

So if you order the phone online, they might not let you order unless you're at least on SERO Premium ($40/mo), I'm not sure if that's exactly the case or not. But if you have trouble, call the same number and ask to be bumped to the $40/mo plan "immediately" (i.e., not at the next billing cycle). Confirm that your plan reads "SERO Premium 500" online, then attempt to order again. Then, while ordering it'll explain that it require premium data for $10/mo, totaling $50/mo.

Just to note, I've had trouble attempting to reactivate an old phone online, telling me that since it wasn't a 4G (or premium) device that I needed a plan change, and only offered non-SERO options. So if you ever have to do that, some combination of the SERO/EPRP number and *2 tech support should get it sorted out for you.

Oof, that does sound complicated. Thanks for the info... hopefully I'll be able to order.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

powderific posted:

Pretty sure you get the same price as new people. I'm showing iPhone 4 for $99 after buying out my contract and resetting my line.

So, I basically got told my ETF was $100 which is better than i was hoping.

I also got told that because the iphone has to be enshrouded in secrecy they can't tell me how much it's going to cost on Sprint for non-upgrade prices.

She tried to explain to me how the discounted pricing was for upgrades because you ran through your contract and I just wanted to know how much it was going to cost me right now to buy a new phone because I want a new phone because that's the whole goddamn point of them coming out with an entirely new phone right? I didn't get any answer except that the phones go on pre-order from sprint at midnight CENTRAL time and they're not going to have any sell out limits according to her. I think that'll still be two hours before the Apple pre-sale if they go on sale at Midnight PST on Apple.com.

So I guess there's a shot I can find out that my pre-order price is going to be $849 since I won't get any discount and it'd be cheaper to go to Verizon instead because Sprint hates my money.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Kynetx posted:

Google and Sprint seem to be pretty heavily invested in each other. I'm not too worried.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

thisdude23 posted:

iPhone is allowed on SERO but it will be $50, which is still cheaper than others. I was told that even though it's not 4G that because it is a premium phone it will run $50. I'm cool with that. :cool:

drat, no iPhone for me then. Someday I'll have to join the big kids and get off the $30/mo. SERO... but that day is not today. It's just so hard to let go of the best investment I've ever made.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

If the prime isn't coming out then it's going to be between the sgs2 and the iphone. Decisions, decisions...

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

powderific posted:

Hey I just tried to do this and what he wanted to do was cancel my account and I sign up for a new account. I guess that isn't a problem but he said I can't keep my number which I dont understand. Did you have to start a new account?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

streetlamp posted:

Hey I just tried to do this and what he wanted to do was cancel my account and I sign up for a new account.
Ugh dear lord, please folks, if some CSR suggests doing something like this don't.

First, even if you have to cancel your account you can keep your number by porting it to Google Voice (or a prepaid carrier) first, then porting back. But you have to port the number before canceling the account.

Second, it's been stated previously that Sprint won't allow folks who terminate their accounts due to materially adverse contract changes to sign up again for 60 days. I can't say if that's a general policy to prevent folks from getting new customer pricing on upgrades or not, but it would suck to have your account canceled, lose your number, and lose the ability to create a new account if that's the case, all due to a harebrained scheme.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Telex posted:

So, I basically got told my ETF was $100 which is better than i was hoping.

I also got told that because the iphone has to be enshrouded in secrecy they can't tell me how much it's going to cost on Sprint for non-upgrade prices.
Well the iPhone 4 is listed at $549 on Sprint.com right now. I assume the 4S will have a full price listed when they start taking pre-orders tomorrow.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

datajosh posted:

Well the iPhone 4 is listed at $549 on Sprint.com right now. I assume the 4S will have a full price listed when they start taking pre-orders tomorrow.

Yes, and that's the scary part because if they're considering the value of a 2- year contract to be approximately $450, that will make the 64GB iphone 4s $850.

And that's just too loving much to pay for a phone when I can pay a $100 ETF and jump ship instead.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Seriously man, just go to Verizon. They have better service anyways.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

streetlamp posted:

Hey I just tried to do this and what he wanted to do was cancel my account and I sign up for a new account. I guess that isn't a problem but he said I can't keep my number which I dont understand. Did you have to start a new account?

Nope, they charged me $140 for the etf right then and then reset my line--I show eligibility for the new person pricing on Apple's checker right now. I'm starting to think maybe I just got lucky with a really awesome dude / supervisor?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
As soon as this eBay seller provides me with an ESN so I can check if it's clean, I'll be the proud owner of a Motorola Photon. :hellyeah:

Blackaxis
Nov 23, 2002
Irate Southerner
Sorry if this has been addressed, but I'm on EPRP and the apple eligibility checker can't deal with that account. Will there be issues pre-ordering tonight from sprint directly?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Alman posted:

For one, the data speed problem is only in certain places. Second, there are steps being taken to alleviate that problem - almost all of them as part of the Network Vision project. There will be more specific information about all of this tomorrow, though! :science:

Care to clarify what those areas are by chance?

More specifically: I'm in the NYC Metro area. What sort of data speeds can I expect? Am I wasting my time contemplating switching to Sprint? I asked this a few pages ago and got no answer. :/

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

TLG James posted:

Google and Sprint seem to be pretty heavily invested in each other. I'm not too worried.

That's actually a drat good point. Hope it stays that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Maybe Sprint's announcement tomorrow is that Google is buying Sprint too.

(I can dream, can't I?)