Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I will admit, as a hopeless and largely uncritical Superman fanboy, that those pages struck me as somewhat cloying and ham-handed.

Of course, they also struck me as something Superman would totally do, if on the next page he were making medallions for the rest of the kids too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Gwenpool #10

After several issues of the universe smacking it into Gwen's head that actions have consequences, comic book world or not, she mounts an operation to rescue her colleagues/friends from an army of alien squid weapon dealers. For once she planned it out with a mind to avoiding civilian casualties (although at one point she decided to hold innocent bystanders hostage in order to convince a third party to help her). At the end of it all, she's successful and feeling pretty good about herself.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

it really is kind of a savage diss on all the other kids tho.

"i notice that out of all the dying children in this room, only ... [checks notes] connie has found the time to write me a letter. the gently caress is wrong with the rest of you. have you given up on life already, you pussies"

Yeah I thought this made it especially poorly done. Like, if she was the only cancer kid in the room and it was a regular class room, it would make more sense to single her out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...if the climax to Secret Empire involves Batroc beating Cap to prove he's been compromised, the whole Hydra-Cap thing will be worth it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Batroc is like my favorite Captain America villain.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I still have no idea how Gwenpool is as good a book as it is.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I like Doom being proud of his Doombot in the first panel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ImpAtom posted:

If the blatant mischaracterization of her in rocket & Groot is anything to go by, she only works because of hastings

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

ImpAtom posted:

I have no idea how anyone thinks it's good, but that's art for you, I guess. Eye of the beholder and such.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Brian Bendis is not too popular with BSS these days but when he's on, he's loving on. Years back, right after Siege there was a mini series titled Avengers Prime. It picks up right at the end of the story as Asgard has fallen. Steve and Tony are slightly at odds (which doesn't really track with the events of Iron Man). Honestly this story doesn't really fit into how the other books were playing out at all as Tony and Thor have an encounter in iron Man that doesn't make sense based on this book either. Bendis seems to be unaware of Tony's memory gaps as well.

But all that aside, I love this story. The three of them are swept off to another reality where they face a major villain, and have to comeback together as friends and brothers in arms. Which leads to this part of the story

And that's how it should be. It's a drat shame Marvel doesn't seem to think that these three should be close friends because that's how they work best.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Brian Bendis is not too popular with BSS these days but when he's on, he's loving on. Years back, right after Siege there was a mini series titled Avengers Prime. It picks up right at the end of the story as Asgard has fallen. Steve and Tony are slightly at odds (which doesn't really track with the events of Iron Man). Honestly this story doesn't really fit into how the other books were playing out at all as Tony and Thor have an encounter in iron Man that doesn't make sense based on this book either. Bendis seems to be unaware of Tony's memory gaps as well.

But all that aside, I love this story. The three of them are swept off to another reality where they face a major villain, and have to comeback together as friends and brothers in arms. Which leads to this part of the story

And that's how it should be. It's a drat shame Marvel doesn't seem to think that these three should be close friends because that's how they work best.

My favorite little thing about that mini was the insinuation that Patsy Walker once slept with Thor, chose to keep that to herself, and yet openly lied to people by saying she slept with Cap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

My favorite little thing about that mini was the insinuation that Patsy Walker once slept with Thor, chose to keep that to herself, and yet openly lied to people by saying she slept with Cap.

I do love that page but it belongs in the funny thread. But I posted my favorite page from that over there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rhyno posted:

OK - Alternate reality, I'll let that explain the swords on Cap and Tony. Nothing - nothing - can explain those wrist...things on Iron Man. Certainly not to my satisfaction. They look like they should just fall off his arms if he puts his hands to his sides. It's like he tried to put a megabuster on there.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Rhyno posted:

those giant puffy sleeves Iron Man's got are loving astonishing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gavok posted:

I'd expect the opposite cap is probably a lovely lay

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That "puffy sleeve" is the result of Tony having to canabalize other parts of the suit to have any functioning weaponry and he only has a tiny repair kit to work with. This was right after he got his brain re-installed and he hadn't yet made the Extremis 2.0 suit.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I like to think it was an attempt to make his armour able to swim.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

I'd expect the opposite cap is probably a lovely lay

What on earth would make you think that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

What on earth would make you think that.

Seems like a p big prude to me, probably would lecture on morally corrupt thinking if you even suggested something other than missionary

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Seems like a p big prude to me, probably would lecture on morally corrupt thinking if you even suggested something other than missionary

Man you really need to read more Captain America comics.

Now Tony, that guy'd be a terrible lay. Sure, he can get people in bed better than anyone, but once you're there it's like

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cap was frozen in the 40s, he may very well consider the female orgasm an unproven hypothesis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Cap was frozen in the 40s, he may very well consider the female orgasm an unproven hypothesis.

Cap was cool with gay dudes in the 40s, he's probably woker than most dudes living today.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Cap is just happy that now he can accepted for the sexual deviations that would have gotten him tried and convicted in his day. In the 40s, they would have called him a pervert. Now, he's a proud furry.

Question: Would Cap's fursona be a dog-wolf thing like the one he was turned into that one time, or a bald eagle?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Cap is just happy that now he can accepted for the sexual deviations that would have gotten him tried and convicted in his day. In the 40s, they would have called him a pervert. Now, he's a proud furry.

Question: Would Cap's fursona be a dog-wolf thing like the one he was turned into that one time, or a bald eagle?

A wolf with eagle wings.

(Gums are also red, white and blue)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

purple death ray posted:

A wolf with eagle wings.

I get ya. By the way, what was your old username? I've since forgotten who you are.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

I get ya. By the way, what was your old username? I've since forgotten who you are.
All according to keikaku.

Travis343

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

The writing is human, if that makes sense. The art is kind of really bland though :(

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Chris Hastings is a Good Writer who can write likable characters before turning around and writing something really cutting (the excessive health needs of the old literally sucking the life from the young) and he basically makes Gwenpool work.

Gwen is a less competent Dr. McNinja, and I'm okay with that.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

purple death ray posted:

A wolf with eagle wings.

Is this a Jupiter Ascendant joke?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

PJOmega posted:

Is this a Jupiter Ascendant joke?

It is a joke re: forums user 'sweeperbravo' and their famous avatar, a deviantart-caliber fursona of a black and green cheetah with the helpful annotation 'Gums are also green'.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
from the Snagglepuss backup in the upcoming Suicide Squad/Banana Splits crossover oneshot(which is going to be leading into a full series later this year)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm 100% down for that in theory but the voice I'm getting off that is more "less comical Foghorn Leghorn" than Snagglepuss.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I have a pet peeve about humanimals that are elaborately dressed but only from the waist up. It just looks so weird.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pureauthor posted:

I have a pet peeve about humanimals that are elaborately dressed but only from the waist up. It just looks so weird.

"You know what's weird? Donald Duck never wore pants. But whenever he's getting out of the shower, he always puts a towel around his waist. I mean, what is that about?" - Chandler 'Mrs. Chanandler Bong' Bing

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

It's Ms. Chanandler Bong

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Phy posted:

"You know what's weird? Donald Duck never wore pants. But whenever he's getting out of the shower, he always puts a towel around his waist. I mean, what is that about?" - Chandler 'Mrs. Chanandler Bong' Bing

A duck's penis is kept inside the body unless erect, and shower time is fun time for Donald

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, it doesn't really sound like Snagglepuss if he gets through a whole page without rephrasing a statement or saying "even".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, it doesn't really sound like Snagglepuss if he gets through a whole page without rephrasing a statement or saying "even".

I can't tell if you're being serious or not but these old cartoon characters are like 90% voice so loving up being able to hear them in your head is a pretty big mistake.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

from the Snagglepuss backup in the upcoming Suicide Squad/Banana Splits crossover oneshot(which is going to be leading into a full series later this year)

Heavens to murgatroyd! Is Snagglepuss waxing poetic with Hong Kong Phooey of all people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Heavens to murgatroyd! Is Snagglepuss waxing poetic with Hong Kong Phooey of all people?

That's Augie Doggie