Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Picked up the Church Whip 7" (yeah, I know) which has one of the best inserts I've seen.

It's massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

WASDF posted:

I got Cobra Juicy on "vinyl" but I'm pretty sure this is is a Starburst, not a vinyl record. I'm never buying anything from The Blackmoths again.

Speaking of delicious looking vinyl, I had to pre-order this Kishi Bashi single. One of three, but I like Manchester, and love that color combo. Limiting my purchases, so one for now. Don't need a signed wooden frame for all of them. (Thanks for letting us buy them separately)

http://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/kishi-bashi-3x7-box-set.html

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

that's a delicious color.
oh man, why hasn't the flaming lips made edible hard candy vinyl.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

alg posted:

Picked up the Church Whip 7" (yeah, I know) which has one of the best inserts I've seen.

It's massive.

Yeah, but what color was that vinyl

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Time to share my newest acquisitions! Some stuff from right around Christmas, and some stuff from last night.

First thing's first: X-TG - Desertshore/The Final Report

It's absolutely gorgeous, and sounds divine.

Some Sun Ra from my girlfriend's parents for Christmas...

Sickness of Snakes - Nightmare Culture (54/99)

And now for my absurdly good, and absolutely free haul from last night:

The Cult Live at the Lyceum

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

The Cure - Boys Don't Cry

Prince - Controversy

Nirvana - Sliver/Dive

and the most loving nuts thing that someone has ever given me for free...

NIN - The Fragile

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

Haven't gotten anything new recently because my buddy got fired from my regular record store and the new employee is a dick. Going to pickup Zenn Mystery Fogg's Raccoon soon though. There has been a lot of good looking colored vinyl posted, and the ZMF record is a really gorgeous pink/white marble. Unfortunately, I can't find a decent photo of it.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Is that the TG record that sold out within hours?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Darthemed posted:

[..] and I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one of the copies of David Bowie's 'Heathen' when I saw it there a couple decades ago (not that I was collecting back then, but drat, that album's not cheap these days).

It's been re-issued in Europe recently. Along with Outside.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
BAAAAAARGH

OK so after I realised I was playing my records through an amp with no phono stage, I promptly ordered a preamp. I hooked it up for the first time today, only to discover that sound is only going through 1 speaker at a time. If I only hook up the "left" channel, or only hook up the "right" channel, I can get sound through either speaker, but when I plug both in, sound only goes through the left, and very, very quietly through the right.

If anyone has any idea what's causing this I'd be most grateful for an answer. My google searches have been fruitless :(

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Is that the TG record that sold out within hours?

Yes it is. I think there is still a regular version available though.

edit: yeah still available
http://www.speakerfire.com/phonograph-records/x-tg-desertshore/the-final-report-2-x-lp/

cheapandugly fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 9, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
One Fierce Beer Coaster got a reissue.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

There was a picture posted in the last vinyl thread of a Rolling Stones record. It was colored, and possible the most interesting colored vinyl I have ever seen. It was half and half, one side solid teal/turquoise, the other a splatter of red, turquoise, and a few other colors. Except for the red, it kind of looked like a peacock feathers, or something. I saved it, but lost that hard drive. I don't have archives, and it was probably on waffle images, therefore gone. Anyone have that picture? I think it was a live album, maybe a bootleg. I remember the sleeve being very plain for a Rolling Stones record (off white with text? Maybe an image).

The Bacon God
Oct 20, 2007

Himmelschreibende
Herzen

sky-writing hearts
So does anyone here in the U.S. have any experience buying from Bleep.com? I ordered a couple of records from them, and according to the site they shipped Jan. 16th, but they haven't shown up yet. I know they're coming overseas so that might account for it, but things I've ordered from other sites have never taken this long. Does their shipping usually take this long?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I live on the east coast, and my average turnaround time for a bleep order is about 15 days, although up to 20 isn't uncommon. I'd say if you don't see it by next Wednesday, you might want to contact them. I've had positive customer service experiences with bleep (they replaced a record that arrived warped with no questions asked).

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

cheapandugly posted:

The Cult Live at the Lyceum

NICE. I've been looking for a decent copy of Love for a while now, I wouldn't mind that Live disc either.
On the same note, found a perfect copy of Electric in a thrift store recently along with the Electric Dreams soundtrack.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Fors Yard posted:

There was a picture posted in the last vinyl thread of a Rolling Stones record. It was colored, and possible the most interesting colored vinyl I have ever seen. It was half and half, one side solid teal/turquoise, the other a splatter of red, turquoise, and a few other colors. Except for the red, it kind of looked like a peacock feathers, or something. I saved it, but lost that hard drive. I don't have archives, and it was probably on waffle images, therefore gone. Anyone have that picture? I think it was a live album, maybe a bootleg. I remember the sleeve being very plain for a Rolling Stones record (off white with text? Maybe an image).

Is this it?

Philadelphia Special

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

That's the one. Thanks!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Any recommendations for resealable outer sleeve protectors? I just bought a pack of these but there is a sizable amount of material that gets bunched up when closing it over a single LP sleeve. They're great for 2xLP albums and other super thick outer sleeves though.

Also these inner sleeves are fantastic. I have the old version that doesn't have the text on it though.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Dr. Lenin posted:

Also these inner sleeves are fantastic. I have the old version that doesn't have the text on it though.

Those look like the Mofi sleeves.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
What looks like a rad documentary with Keith Morris and David Yow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8c_tRotSUE

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
So my Audioquest anti-static brush arrived today. Any idea why after I clean and play a record with it the vinyl seems to have more static on it than I started with?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dr. Lenin posted:

So my Audioquest anti-static brush arrived today. Any idea why after I clean and play a record with it the vinyl seems to have more static on it than I started with?

Do you have a felt slipmat?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

nomapple posted:

BAAAAAARGH

OK so after I realised I was playing my records through an amp with no phono stage, I promptly ordered a preamp. I hooked it up for the first time today, only to discover that sound is only going through 1 speaker at a time. If I only hook up the "left" channel, or only hook up the "right" channel, I can get sound through either speaker, but when I plug both in, sound only goes through the left, and very, very quietly through the right.

If anyone has any idea what's causing this I'd be most grateful for an answer. My google searches have been fruitless :(

What amp did you get? I have a similar issue with one I have (think it's this one - http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/PP400.aspx) and if I disconnect and reconnect the cable for the side which is quiet, it usually comes back. It's really intermittent though.

Probably will just get a new, better one. This was dirt cheap so nobody to blame but myself.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

CPL593H posted:

Do you have a felt slipmat?

No, a rubber one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Lenin posted:

No, a rubber one.

Then the brush is haunted by Steve Jobs.

The soundtrack to They Live is now available for preorder: http://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/shop/they-live-2/

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 14, 2013

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

CPL593H posted:

Dammit, I just got him out of my receiver!

Seriously though, if anyone knows a solution to this that'd be great. I'm figuring it has something to do with the dry air and low humidity causing a fast static buildup to occur, but then again I'm no scientist so I'm just pulling this out of my rear end.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Lenin posted:

Dammit, I just got him out of my receiver!

Seriously though, if anyone knows a solution to this that'd be great. I'm figuring it has something to do with the dry air and low humidity causing a fast static buildup to occur, but then again I'm no scientist so I'm just pulling this out of my rear end.

Yeah I only gave you a wise rear end response because I'm at a loss as to what's doing it.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

CPL593H posted:

The soundtrack to They Live is now available for preorder: http://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/shop/they-live-2/

Oh hell yes, that is so cool. That movie owns, and so does the music.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

shmee posted:

What amp did you get? I have a similar issue with one I have (think it's this one - http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/PP400.aspx) and if I disconnect and reconnect the cable for the side which is quiet, it usually comes back. It's really intermittent though.

Probably will just get a new, better one. This was dirt cheap so nobody to blame but myself.

I resolved this. I got the cheapest cable off amazon, and that's where the fault lay. Replacement arrived the other day and I am now enjoying some excellent sounding records :)

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

nomapple posted:

I resolved this. I got the cheapest cable off amazon, and that's where the fault lay. Replacement arrived the other day and I am now enjoying some excellent sounding records :)

That's odd, but if it works, I might give it a shot. I do have one decent cable and one crappy one.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

CPL593H posted:

My local record store had a bunch of these in but I couldn't afford them at the time. The posters that come with the records are pretty drat awesome as well.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

CPL593H posted:

That is so cool, but it is pretty expensive. Espically with shipping to the US. Normally I don't care about soundtracks, but this is one of my favorite movies. My willpower will probably erode enough this weekend.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Read Menace posted:

That is so cool, but it is pretty expensive. Espically with shipping to the US. Normally I don't care about soundtracks, but this is one of my favorite movies. My willpower will probably erode enough this weekend.

The standard black vinyl edition can be found domestically for 34.99 and free shipping here: http://www.soundstagedirect.com/john-carpenter-they-live-soundtrack-180-gram-vinyl-records.shtml

The colored vinyl edition is limited to 300. The black is limited to 1000.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Getting hold of a replacement stylus to replace my Shure 5X is becoming a pain in the rear end in Toronto. For $15 more I can buy an Ortofon OM5 or for $55 more a 2M Red Phono Cartridge. Is the difference between the two worth the price difference?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How can you tell if your stylus is poo poo and need to be replaced? Are there any tell-tale signs?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How can you tell if your stylus is poo poo and need to be replaced? Are there any tell-tale signs?

Usually, the record will sound distorted or you'll start losing high-end. A normal stylus should last 500 to a thousand hours easily.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

midge posted:

Getting hold of a replacement stylus to replace my Shure 5X is becoming a pain in the rear end in Toronto. For $15 more I can buy an Ortofon OM5 or for $55 more a 2M Red Phono Cartridge. Is the difference between the two worth the price difference?

The Ortofon OM 5E is a horrible shrill piece of crap and you should get the 2M if those are your choices. Huge world of difference.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Yeah I was never terribly impressed with my OM 5E.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
http://www.dustandgrooves.com/rutherford-chang-we-buy-white-albums/

Pretty awesome article about an artist who collects copies of The Beatles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Went to an antique fair today and dug through record bins that must have actually been a collection - very few duplicates and plentiful Stones, Yes, The Police and a bunch of other popular bands all for five bucks each. It was weird not to find a single Streisand record but I managed to claim the following for myself:

Kraftwerk - Computer World
The Who - Who's Next
The Who - Tommy
The Kinks - One for the Road
R.E.M. - Reckoning
10cc - Deceptive Bends

There were a few other records I was interested in but I wasn't carrying much cash on me. For future reference, what are the good Stones albums? I would've picked up Exile on Main Street if they had it, but I didn't really recognize any of the ones they did have.