Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

KillHour posted:

I spent some time looking at new benchmarks/demos, and stumbled across this.

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=61211

:drat:

Does anyone have a system that can run this at 1080@30? My 670 gets as low as 4-5 FPS in some parts.

This hard locked my PC :( Wasn't even taxing my gpu much either which is strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
A bit of updates in the 290 arena:

Seems that people are getting batches of Sapphires and MSI cards that are unlockable (perhaps in response to the increased sales of Powercolor and XFX's?) while folks have been getting Powercolors that have been locked.

Also, for anyone considering the Gelid, this is a good example of the level of modding you'd have to do in order to achieve the best results.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart
Bit of advice needed. Looking to possibly use a dedicated graphics card in my HTPC. The processor is an A4-5000 Quad core 1.5 Ghz. Would it be worth using a AMD Radeon HD 7750 in it, or would that be too cpu limited? Case use is light couch gaming at 720p at decent frame rates (steady 30fps).

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Depends on the game. Most games won't care at that resolution, though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Good news everyone, I finally installed my 290 today and successfully unlocked it.

I'll take my $400 290x, tyvm. :unsmith:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Congratulations! :neckbeard: Which vendor is your card?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

Congratulations! :neckbeard: Which vendor is your card?

Powercolor; I ordered it from NCIX last weekend.

E: or maybe the weekend before...I can't remember.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 24, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'd just like to have everyone know right now that Agreed's 780, the very card he wrote the GPU Boost 2.0 guide with, has happily steamed along in my rig for a day now. Thanks to him for letting me take care of it and with his impeccable one-on-one support in helping it get going in my system, and thanks to Ghostpilot and his buddy for making the other half of the deal happen! This is the best forum ever. :allears:

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
I'm an amblyope and left eye dominant, and on a whim I decided to swap my primary monitor to the center, and put the secondary off to the left corner of my desk, so the screen lies more in my dominant periphery. One thing I've always noticed is when I watch a video, or play a game or something, if I throw it on the secondary screen, the performance is usually a bit choppier. It almost seemed like it had to do with the refresh rate on the secondary monitor, but Windows is reporting it as 60Hz. I thought maybe it was just a busted monitor, but I swapped the two inputs and now the issue is on my formerly primary monitor (left). By switching the inputs I've figured it has to do with the output on my GPU, but is this typical behavior? I noticed it when I was rocking a 560Ti, and it's still prevalent now with a 770GTX.

At this point it's more of an annoyance than a dealbreaker, since I just use my second screen for browsing the internet anyway but it'd be nice to use for XBMC if I could make this go away.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I first wanted to buy an MSI Gaming 760 2GB card, but I've decided to upgrade it to the MSI 770 4GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127747). Do goons have experience with either card?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Kikka posted:

I first wanted to buy an MSI Gaming 760 2GB card, but I've decided to upgrade it to the MSI 770 4GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127747). Do goons have experience with either card?

I've been using the MSI Gaming N760 2GB since June and it's been great for 1080p and 1440p gaming. The most demanding games I've played on it have been Borderlands 2 and Arkham City, I'm not sure how it will fare for newer titles @ 1440p but I'll consider going SLI with a second one if that's an issue.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

yanthrax posted:

I'm an amblyope and left eye dominant, and on a whim I decided to swap my primary monitor to the center, and put the secondary off to the left corner of my desk, so the screen lies more in my dominant periphery. One thing I've always noticed is when I watch a video, or play a game or something, if I throw it on the secondary screen, the performance is usually a bit choppier. It almost seemed like it had to do with the refresh rate on the secondary monitor, but Windows is reporting it as 60Hz. I thought maybe it was just a busted monitor, but I swapped the two inputs and now the issue is on my formerly primary monitor (left). By switching the inputs I've figured it has to do with the output on my GPU, but is this typical behavior? I noticed it when I was rocking a 560Ti, and it's still prevalent now with a 770GTX.

At this point it's more of an annoyance than a dealbreaker, since I just use my second screen for browsing the internet anyway but it'd be nice to use for XBMC if I could make this go away.

This might be a bit of an out-there suggestion, but the photoreceptors in your peripheral vision work and recharge much faster than in the centre, so you may notice (for example) fluorescent lights flickering if you don't look at them directly. Is the problem mostly when you have some video on in the background while you're doing something else?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I have decided on a price point for my EVGA ACX FTW SC* 4GB 760s $240 each shipped $460 for the pair (and it includes the copy of Blacklist I got with it if I can find it or I knock another :10bux: off), I will post them in SA mart at some point later this week but I'll let this thread get dibs on these monsters first.

I am losing ~$150 total so I don't think I am going lower price wise, I am already matching or beating 2GB 760s and the pair is cheaper than a 780.

EDIT AND CLARIFICATION: These will not ship (nor sell) before next week (Monday the earliest for a shipping date), I posted here in hopes to sell them as a pair privately, I have been approached to sell one so far, if another person contacts me to buy just one (or the pair) then I will sell them as they are. They only ship once both have sold. I know it's kind of a hassle for you guys interested in them but please do let me know if you're interested (via PMs or prosper.spurius at (that google mail domain)) and I'll keep everyone updated (and hope you do the same if you find another card)

* EVGA is really silly with their naming conventions, and typing that has just proven it without a doubt to me.

deimos fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 25, 2013

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

yanthrax posted:

Are both your monitors the same size/model/brand? I'm wondering if one may have a slower refresh rate than the other and could be causing the choppiness. Either that, or tweak around with some settings to see if there's anything obvious causing it. With the choppiness, is it like a screen tearing type issue, or something similar to when a video camera is recording a screen and you can see scrolling?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

deimos posted:

I have decided on a price point for my EVGA ACX FTW SC* 4GB 760s $240 each shipped $460 for the pair (and it includes the copy of Blacklist I got with it if I can find it or I knock another :10bux: off), I will post them in SA mart at some point later this week but I'll let this thread get dibs on these monsters first.

I am losing ~$150 total so I don't think I am going lower price wise, I am already matching or beating 2GB 760s and the pair is cheaper than a 780.

* EVGA is really silly with their naming conventions, and typing that has just proven it without a doubt to me.

I guess it's not really any of my business but this is an amazingly good deal, and, bought as a pair, will out-perform any single card from nVidia's lineup except maybe 780Tis that clock super high (and then, it'd be close, with the 780Ti only pulling ahead thanks to its greater SMX count and very high memory bandwidth for a single card - it has fewer ROPs than the 760 combo!). SLI issues are practically non-issues these days, hell, even Crossfire is working now. Strange days we live in. But the point is, this was the value setup to beat when it paper launched, but in practice it's pretty much impossible to find 4GB 760s for less than $330 or so, and here you have an actual, very well priced, excellent price:performance thing with all the qualities you could ask for to game at high resolutions at high settings. Very similar shader performance to a GTX 780, but superior geometry performance thanks to more ROPs and accompanying pixel throughput. And remember that EVGA card warranties are transferable, and the 760 is just plain too new to be out of warranty for a couple years yet.

Somebody snag this Very Good Deal, it's as good as I'd expect any Black Friday sale to get.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 25, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nostrum posted:

It's more like, I get more enjoyment out of overclocking and cooling a computer than I do actually using it to play video games. And my wife puts those kinds of things in perspective for me, such that, yeah, I really would rather have a great week in Las Vegas than have a computer that's 5% faster at loading a Civ 5 map, saving me a grand total of 9 seconds and forcing me to endure millisecond-long dips into the sub-60fps realm. First loving world problems, what a bitch!

I spent more time tearing down and rebuilding my watercooling loop this weekend than I did playing games.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 25, 2013

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Should just start applying the 90s Jaguar rule and have a second one to use while you work on the other

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Posted a small clarification regarding the sale of the 760s, tl;dr: transaction will be closed next week and when both cards have sold, shipping happens minimum in a week (going to take them out of my system this weekend).

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

If you were selling those this time last week then I would've had to strongly think about it. v:shobon:v Did get a pair of 20 dollar gift certificates from Newegg due to an ordering mixup. :toot:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

deimos posted:

EDIT AND CLARIFICATION: These will not ship (nor sell) before next week (Monday the earliest for a shipping date), I posted here in hopes to sell them as a pair privately, I have been approached to sell one so far, if another person contacts me to buy just one (or the pair) then I will sell them as they are. They only ship once both have sold. I know it's kind of a hassle for you guys interested in them but please do let me know if you're interested (via PMs or prosper.spurius at (that google mail domain)) and I'll keep everyone updated (and hope you do the same if you find another card)

So... tempting. Must hold out for the Lightning...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

I spent more time tearing down and rebuilding my watercooling loop this weekend than I did playing games.

You said you're using a 360 for your 290s? How are the temperatures? I'm plotting an matx system with dual 290s, and right now it looks like the cooling I could cram in there would be a 360 and a 240.

willjbish
Nov 8, 2011
I'm looking to upgrade my HD6950 along with my PSU(Corsair650watt)and possibly my CPU which is an i5 2500k oc to 4,0 GHZ. I've got the money to spend, just looking for a general consensus.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
You're looking for the parts picking megathread. Incidentally, they just posted a deal on a great PSU.

willjbish
Nov 8, 2011

jkyuusai posted:

You're looking for the parts picking megathread. Incidentally, they just posted a deal on a great PSU.

Ahh, Okay. Thanks!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

El Scotch posted:

You said you're using a 360 for your 290s? How are the temperatures? I'm plotting an matx system with dual 290s, and right now it looks like the cooling I could cram in there would be a 360 and a 240.

Core tops out around 42ish and vrms top out around 50. Was using push/pull, but it didn't really seem to affect much. I'll have everything buttoned up tonight and get some temps with the system running as a single giant loop.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So does anyone here have experience with EVGA's step-up program?

I recently bought a GTX 760, which I love, but not knowing that I was going to get a bunch more money as a gift.

Now I will have enough to get a GTX 780 (won't go for the Ti as I want $ left for other things) but I'm unsure of how long waiting will be with the program.
Basically what I'm wondering is if I pay to get the GTX 780 as a step-up purchase, how long will I likely be without a videocard before I receive my new one?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Swartz posted:

I recently bought a GTX 760, which I love, but not knowing that I was going to get a bunch more money as a gift.

Now I will have enough to get a GTX 780 (won't go for the Ti as I want $ left for other things) but I'm unsure of how long waiting will be with the program.
Basically what I'm wondering is if I pay to get the GTX 780 as a step-up purchase, how long will I likely be without a videocard before I receive my new one?

I think a large number of guys here have done the setup up program at least once. I did it for the 8800 GTS 320mb to the 8800 GT 512mb (RIP), and more recently, from a temp card to my GTX 680 on launch.

Looking back at my emails, it was around a week after I submitted the request until it was accepted, and 5 days until it shipped. Again, this was at launch of the 680, so it will probably be a worst case scenario compared to now.

goatsofdoom
Jan 15, 2008
Sorry wrong thread.

goatsofdoom fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 25, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It's been a long time since I did a step up. When I did it, you just sign up for it, wait until approved, they send you the RMA and you send your card off. The turn around time is about 2 days from when they get the card to when they ship. So if you ship fast and pay for expedited shipping its usually under a week.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

SourKraut posted:

So... tempting. Must hold out for the Lightning...

There have already been some Black Friday discounts on custom cooled GTX 780s. Amazon had an Asus DirectCUII factory overclocked (are we up to III yet? whatever, it was the most recent one obv.) for about $500 if I recall correctly, and an EVGA ACX FTW model for about $530 which is about $30 off (they appear to be price-matching Newegg, who have it on pre-BF sale for about $520 after MIR).

EVGA's FTW models are practically guaranteed to overclock to or very near to the limits of the card family as such, especially with their ACX, and as far as GTX 780s go, barring any revisions made by other companies in the time since launch (I have not kept up as well as perhaps I could have), the ACX model is the superior cooler for the GTX 780. The other models, MSI, Gigabyte and Asus have some strong options too for cards GTX 770 and lower, and I imagine there was some adjustment for the 780Ti, it's new and I haven't seen robust comparisons there yet, but for the GTX 780 the ACX is the poo poo for noise level and temperature performance.

On the note of the 780Ti, for crazy people, I dunno how well other models cool when directly compared - temperature measurements on test beds seem to suggest that all of the custom coolers do well, but I keep seeing idles in the low 30s. Well, we've got electric and gas heating running because it's a bit chilly but here's where mine is sitting:

How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine? Well okay realistically the fans are rated for around 9 years of operation iirc but that might as well be forever in GPU years. :shobon:

I've got a really carefully done large-fan, negative airflow setup for putting air where I want it in my case, that's sort of a prerequisite for open-air coolers, but even in the most demanding games they don't exceed about 60ºC and for air (:argh: curses, veedubfreak! :argh:) that's really good.

Keep an eye out, could be some really good deals after all even in the high end. I would be really surprised if we see big price drops on Titans or 780Tis for the holidays, but I've been surprised before. Though I would be EXTREMELY surprised if you managed to find a pair of 760 4GBs, let alone an EVGA ACX FTW set, for a better price than deimos is offering.

THAT SAID, you're setting up an SLI setup, right? Do you already have the one MSI Lightning and thus you're more or less forced to go with another one, or...? You really need to have a powerful side fan blasting fresh air and plenty of exhaust to deal with the heat from two open-air cards. It's doable, but that's a lot of wattage to dissipate and two high-TDP cards with open-air coolers have a bit of a tendency towards getting hotter than is totally healthy. Less of an issue for lower TDP cards (hence the 760s being a really good deal more or less regardless), but if you haven't already committed in some way it might be best to look at blowers instead for a 500W+ TDP SLI setup.

Swartz posted:

Hey man! :) Step-up is made for cases like this. As others have noted, turnaround depends partially on your end and partially on their end; they tend to be 4-7 business days after receipt. I am not quite sure why it takes that long, frankly, kinda seems like it should go faster? I dunno. But that's the usual turnaround.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Where did you get the Shodan wallpaper?

Edit: Never mind, it's included in the GOG edition of System Shock 2... which I have. :downs:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 26, 2013

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Best way to test GPU + VRAM? I'm getting some silly artifacting just on basic desktop stuff, but don't really feel like trying another card, switching cables (let alone swapping power supplies or anything like that) etc. just yet, or even rebooting for that matter.

edit: i took a quick video since it's so silly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkvzvOAm2ms
you can see it's transposing little bits of the left and right parts of the screen - it comes and goes (it's not doing it at all right now, for example), doesn't affect my other monitor at all, it's always the same two areas (though the exact tiles involved change each time it pops up), and funniest of all, the transposed bits blink off and on in the opposite pattern from my text insert line, you can see it happening if you watch the input on the bottom window there :)

Straker fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 26, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I can't think of a scenario here that doesn't involve replacing the card unless a shitload of people with the same card are having the same problem, in which case I'd go with driver error. Are a shitload of people having the same issue? :ohdear:

Do you have integrated graphics that you can test with just to make extra special super sure it's the card? I mean, it's the card, that's what a malfunctioning video output device does, there's something going on likely with the VRAM specifically. RMA time. :(

Edit: Unless... Okay, this is really unlikely, but how are you hooking it up? Sometimes a cable fault can result in unusual issues, but that's much more common with VGA than with DVI or HDMI cables; still, the only possibilities here are either your card is borked or your cable (or, worse, monitor) are borked. This is the way it's left you. I'm not pretending. No hope, no love, no glory. No happy ending.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 26, 2013

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Agreed posted:

Keep an eye out, could be some really good deals after all even in the high end. I would be really surprised if we see big price drops on Titans or 780Tis for the holidays, but I've been surprised before. Though I would be EXTREMELY surprised if you managed to find a pair of 760 4GBs, let alone an EVGA ACX FTW set, for a better price than deimos is offering.

THAT SAID, you're setting up an SLI setup, right? Do you already have the one MSI Lightning and thus you're more or less forced to go with another one, or...? You really need to have a powerful side fan blasting fresh air and plenty of exhaust to deal with the heat from two open-air cards. It's doable, but that's a lot of wattage to dissipate and two high-TDP cards with open-air coolers have a bit of a tendency towards getting hotter than is totally healthy. Less of an issue for lower TDP cards (hence the 760s being a really good deal more or less regardless), but if you haven't already committed in some way it might be best to look at blowers instead for a 500W+ TDP SLI setup.

I was hoping to start off with the one card, and then late this year/early next year as Christmas gift cards come in for Amazon or Newegg, buying the second card at some point. I haven't yet bought the Lightning yet though. The idea is for SLI though, yeah.

Case-wise, I have the Corsair Air 540, so there is no side fan. However, I can mount 2x 140mms in the front or 3x 120mms, with another 140 in the rear and 2x 140s in the top and passive air intake through the bottom depending on how I setup the fan configuration (btw, thanks for the most-recent PM you sent! I just haven't had a chance to respond yet). I've seen a couple of other Air 540 systems online where people had SLI setups with GTX 780s that had open-air coolers, and the peopled reported the temps as being good. I haven't yet figured out how their fan setups are for those situations, and have still been considering my options.

The main issue is that I've been trying to balance what I actually might need and the practicality/cost savings of something like 4GB 760s in SLI or 280Xs in CF vs. my desire to have something with the load indicator LEDs (totally worthless in reality, I know. I just *want* it for some reason...). I've been hoping that MSI is going to come out with a 290 with the current TriFrozr Lightning cooler on it, but given that on special the 780 Lightning has been as low as $515 so the cost difference should be low and I tend to favor Team Green for Shadowplay/possible future G-Sync/ease-of-use for Hackintoshing also as my side project (I game and do other work in Windows though), I've still been leaning toward the 780.

(For reference, my original plan was to go with 2x R9-280X Matrix editions in CF, but between the triple-slot cooling being very undesirable on most motherboards in CF and the issues the 280X Matrix has been having quality/stability-wise, I decided to most likely stick with Team Green).

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

Swartz posted:

Not sure how long the wait will be. My best guess is 2-3 months. I am number #42 after for the 780 acx. After two weeks I have moved up 3 spots. I would think the shortest you would be without a card is a 3-4 days. That is if you overnight your old card there and overnight your new one.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Doyzer posted:

Not sure how long the wait will be. My best guess is 2-3 months. I am number #42 after for the 780 acx. After two weeks I have moved up 3 spots. I would think the shortest you would be without a card is a 3-4 days. That is if you overnight your old card there and overnight your new one.

This prompted me to check stock and yeah they are running low right now. I've had product updates set up a few different times over the last few weeks and they seem to get them in stock from whatever factory makes 'em as often as twice a day, but sometimes they'll go a few days without getting a new product. And right now they are getting -hammered- with orders, according to Dave, one of the upper tier support guys at EVGA. Hrm. I don't know if I'd want to initiate a step-up right now to a product that is inevitably going to be in incredible demand, it seems like they don't prioritize them over standard orders, perhaps they only set aside a small portion of each batch... That's pretty hosed up if true, but I don't see how else they'd end up in this sort of situation where they're getting products in stock sometimes twice a day, but no longer than a few days apart, and people are still having to wait that long for step-up. I guess it could be explained by simple volume, but if the person I'm quoting was at #45 on a 780 ACX two weeks ago and is only now at #43, they are prioritizing things in a really hosed up way. I've been paying attention to stock and they have definitely had product in for direct sale many times during that period.

That's probably the shadiest practice I've ever seen EVGA pull, they don't usually do skeezy poo poo like that. Disappointing.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Plus you never know if the people actually stepped up or just hopped out of the queue instead of waiting. There are a couple different threads on evga's forums regarding step ups and the length.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I found a really nice, comprehensive chart comparing the 290X vs. the 780 Ti:

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/powercolor-r9-290x-oc-vs-gtx-780-ti-overclocking-gloves-come/4/

I don't think I've ever seen a single site hit so many different bases for the two most common high-end single monitor gaming setups, figured it'd be worth sharing. It's a story that we all more or less know by now: for the high high price of $700 and up, the 780 Ti generally edges out wins in the framerate war both stock vs. stock and overclocked vs. overclocked, compared to the $500 R9 290x (which, of course, ought to be put aside unless you really really really want that extra ~10% shader/texture unit performance given how close the R9 290 is for $100 less). Still, putting some max/min framerates up to be a little more quantitative is kind of nice and you can see how games made during the last few years up to 2013 hold up to the modern greatest cards available.

I'm happy to note that even though they're rocking an Ivy quad at 4.5GHz, my 2600K at 4.5GHz keeps up surprisingly well in the synthetic benches where I'd expect it to fall behind the most (brief recap, used to be 4.7GHz and even 4.8GHz briefly, but that took a toll over time and now for stability I've backed it off to 4.5GHz where it doesn't seem to complain and requires far, far less voltage to operate well). Sandy Bridge is hanging the heck in there as an architecture, but that's not gonna stop me from turning this box of parts I've had since about July into a new system, haha. Anand's recent article shows pretty much the same thing - everything from a Sandy Bridge Core i5 2500 to modern 4XX0K-hex-cores perform really similarly in the majority of games. Not that there haven't been some IPC improvements, but they've definitely engineered toward efficiency over pure perf, plus most games don't load the CPU that drastically. That said, these cards are so powerful that many games at 1080p using just in-game settings become CPU-bound nonetheless, with a few exceptions (just the usual envelope-pushing suspects).

One little teeny item of note that I found ha-ha funny was that Crysis 2 in full DX11 mode performs much better on the 780Ti. Well, that's probably because its tessellation capabilities are substantially higher, and, if you remember, Crysis 2 is somewhat infamous for having the worst-optimized, goofiest tessellation ever.

A broader observation - for anyone wondering "what games are you people playing??" with regard to high end hardware, check the rows under the heading "Newest DX11 Benchmarks" for a few examples of games that are still not solid-60 at 1080p. Some can, but not all, and it's the ones that can't that bear closer resemblance in terms of features of note to what engines will be bringing us with games currently in development from studios with a respectable budget.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 26, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So I finally got my new video card to replace the dying 560ti that I had after hmming and hawwing over the 770 and the 280x. I got a 290 instead! Haven't installed it yet since it's far too hot in my room but from the looks of it, it's quite a significant upgrade. And now I see something about some 290s being 290xs with a different bios or some poo poo? That's nuts. Is it like the old days with some nvidia cards had locked shaders or some poo poo? I have no idea. It's an XFX model if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Agreed posted:

I can't think of a scenario here that doesn't involve replacing the card unless a shitload of people with the same card are having the same problem, in which case I'd go with driver error. Are a shitload of people having the same issue? :ohdear:
I know, I had an 8800GTS that presumably also had really hosed up RAM and the way the artifacting is occurring in little tiles like that (as opposed to some kind of systematic error) under the most trivial loads is what's making me assume it's bad RAM. Not really worried about having trouble RMAing it since the card is barely a month old, so whatever, but on the other hand if it goes back I don't want the RMA to be rejected if they can't find anything wrong. The artifacts come and go, e.g. I haven't noticed any at all in the past 3 hours or so, which is why I was trying to figure out how to test the card. I actually know there's some video card-specific memory test utility that functions the same as any general-purpose RAM test utility would, because I've used one before, but that was ~5 years ago and I don't know if it's been updated or is still supported or anything...