Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah yes sorry, I forget there's a GamePass in the US too as I hear about it so little these days. Why they decided to rebrand it from Rewind to the same name as a different thing they offer around the rest of the world is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah yes sorry, I forget there's a GamePass in the US too as I hear about it so little these days. Why they decided to rebrand it from Rewind to the same name as a different thing they offer around the rest of the world is beyond me.

The branding is even stupider. The two offerings are GamePass Europe and GamePass International. Like Europe is one country. :downs:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone here use ESPN+ on Roku?

I want to gift someone a subscription, but they have a Roku TV, and a lot of online comments say the ESPN app won't work if you just have ESPN+ by itself and aren't a cable subscriber - apparently there's some requirement that you authenticate with your cable login in order for it to work. The person I'm gifting to doesn't have cable.

Wondering if there's any workarounds or if they've fixed the problem

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

Anyone here use ESPN+ on Roku?

I want to gift someone a subscription, but they have a Roku TV, and a lot of online comments say the ESPN app won't work if you just have ESPN+ by itself and aren't a cable subscriber - apparently there's some requirement that you authenticate with your cable login in order for it to work. The person I'm gifting to doesn't have cable.

Wondering if there's any workarounds or if they've fixed the problem

I haven't had that problem, I have been using ESPN+ on my two Rokus without being signed into the ESPN app with my cable provider. I definitely know that is the case, because if I click on an event in the Roku app that that is being shown on one of their tv channels it gives me a message telling me to authenticate, but at that point I just shrug and watch it on my TV provider's feed.

Sparky2
Jan 3, 2019

A loose cannon with a tight shot group.
I cut out cable about 19 years ago.
Went to Satellite.

Then, about 7 years ago, I cut the Satellite, and stopped watching television altogether.
Haven't watched one moment of TV in all those years.

I wish I could say that I miss it, but I really don't.

(Just for the record, if you are ever in a doctor's waiting room, and there's an old guy who turns the television volume all the way down, because it's super-annoying, and nobody's really watching it anyway? That's me.)

:)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ok

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What DVR or streaming recording do you guys like?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What DVR or streaming recording do you guys like?

I use PLEX with an HD Homerun PRIME and a cable card. I can record anything but encrypted channels (which is premiums like HBO, Showtime, etc... and strangely enough Bravo)

Before I got lured back to cable with a sweet deal, I used PSVue’s native DVR, but also PLEX with HD Homerun CONNECT+HD antenna.

The main problem I have with most streaming service DVRs is that they record only the scheduled time and if it goes over or started late, well sorry but gently caress you. PLEX at least I can add minutes to the beginning and the end.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Check out Breaking Bad bro, you're missing out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't DVR anything anymore because OnDemand is almost always better visual quality and the commercial breaks (on at least the stuff I watch) are pretty small.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Wow you’re cool do you drive a Prius too?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Something Offal posted:

Check out Breaking Bad bro, you're missing out.

Same but Mad Men.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Great new content coming exclusively to Roku!

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1085205963269963776?s=21

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, very disappointed. I guess I'll be buying some shiny new FireTVs this weekend.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Roku has since rescinded.

https://twitter.com/Roku/status/1085343064418267136

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wooo!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Good. Glad they showed some loving sense.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have to wonder if that was someone not doing homework. Just a marketing/sales team who saw an opportunity and the people in charge of approving it not realizing what it was.

Either way, even though it's rescinded my respect level for Roku dropped big time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm betting it was some rear end in a top hat that greenlit it and the rest just went along because they didn't know who or what the show was. Then someone higher up and competent noticed and was like, "what the gently caress?!" and shut it down.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Turning up to work to find out your company is trending on Twitter, then finding out why...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, I'm betting they genuinely didn't care and then TCL, Insigna, Sharp, etc all said "Hey, guys, don't get our TVs boycotted."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I would also accept "We were loving with Alex Jones from the beginning, it's fun to get his hopes up then crush them"

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Medullah posted:

I would also accept "We were loving with Alex Jones from the beginning, it's fun to get his hopes up then crush them"

How do you troll Alex Jones? I would enjoy watching it but the guy destroyed his marriage playing the long con.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019
Anyone in this thread interested in learning about cutting cable using a cell tethering connection like T-Mo's unlimited plans + OpenWRT or similar routing gadgets? I could do a short writeup here of something people found useful on reddit, but don't want to do it if it's off-topic or uninteresting.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Eschat0n posted:

Anyone in this thread interested in learning about cutting cable using a cell tethering connection like T-Mo's unlimited plans + OpenWRT or similar routing gadgets? I could do a short writeup here of something people found useful on reddit, but don't want to do it if it's off-topic or uninteresting.

Do ittt. Or link the reddit thread if you don't feel like typing.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gallatin posted:

How do you troll Alex Jones? I would enjoy watching it but the guy destroyed his marriage playing the long con.

Start by saying he's a good movie actor in films such as Waking Life (2001) and A Scanner Darkly (2006).

Then ask for his tax returns and the source(s) of all his funding.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Do ittt. Or link the reddit thread if you don't feel like typing.

I can write it out here. Fundamentally, it boils down to this:

In 2016, I was paying ~87/mo for 25mbps d/5mbps u from Comcast, + ~17/mo Netflix, + ~90/mo for Tmobile (2 lines). This was about ~180-190/mo all told. Meanwhile, Ookla Speedtest.com results on my phone were compelling; I was getting ~30d/10u, and latency was roughly equivalent for gaming purposes!

I resolved to try using T-Mobile as my primary ISP.

This was not a trivial fix for me since I am a moderate user of data and I was hosting my own WordPress website from my basement; it quickly became apparent T-Mobile was not going to be providing me with an external address, even if I registered my lines as a business.

Furthermore, while T-Mobile advertised unlimited 4G data for phone use, their mobile hotspot plans had no such promise. Tethering would also throttle after a short period, unless you added a 25/mo Unlimited International addon to your phone plan. Could this really work for me?

The answer turned out to be a painful (but worthwhile) yes. In order to bring my plan to fruition, I needed the following equipment:

1 spare 4g-capable GSM phone with tethering enabled in its Android OS. I used an Alcatel IDOL 3 that I had rooted some time past; root turned out to be unecessary because nothing against ToS was done.

1 spare computer to use as my OpenWRT x86 router; I ended up opting for a little A4-5000-based board I'd pulled some time ago as a decent nigh-fanless solution; it's hugely overpowered for the job and an EspressoBin would probably be a better fit, or any OpenWRT-capable router with a decent USB port and hub.

1 standard micro USB cable - far superior tethering capability compared to wireless tethering in terms of throughput, reliability, and ease of use.

1 subscription to AirVPN (only needed if you must have an external address) - AirVPN, like many other VPNs, offers reverse port forwarding at the addresses of their exit points. These can then function as your external IP, providing you with a means to host websites, game servers, SSH access, etc - without getting an external IP from T-Mobile. An annual sub cost me ~60 USD. IT DOES NOT SERVE AS MY PRIMARY CONNECTION.

1 switch/router (optional) - this would provide the LAN and wireless capability needed for my internal network since the computer I chose for OpenWRT didn't have but 1 ethernet port (and no PCI/PCI-E extensibility). I opted for a Mikrotik hAP ac2 (https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac2) because it also advertised the ability to use its USB port as the WAN connection, so it felt like a good professional backup solution if my OpenWRT venture proved unworkable; if you're uncomfortable with OpenWRT but familiar with the Mikrotik RouterOS or just want a nice optimized little box that does it all, this might be a very good solution for you.

1 efficient computer with a decent-sized SSD and 2x gigabit ethernet (optional) - this was used to create an IPFire transparent caching firewall (utilizing the Squid caching proxy). This really isn't necessary, but if you're concerned about overwhelming the T-Mobile "unlimited" connection, HTTP and OS Update CDN caching can be done very easily with this linux distribution and it will cut down to some extent (by my measure about 10% on your network utilization).

1 efficient computer or VM/docker image running PiHole (optional) - this was used to run a network-wide DNS-based adblocker. DNS-based adblockers also cut down on network traffic, so this felt like a no-brainer as long as I was worried about angering the T-Mobile bandwidth throttling gods. This turned out not to be necessary, but I keep it in use because why not?

The basic agreement with T-Mobile goes something like this:

3 phone plans on their family plan for ~140/mo, + Unlimited International on the third plan for 25/mo. This last line will be on the extra phone and it will act as my house's modem. As an added benefit, the family plan included a Netflix subscription. By going into my T-Mobile account and specifically disabling their "HD video" feature under "Media Settings," I was able to remove throttling of HD video and sound on my connection and get a good HD Netflix experience.

You install some USB-related packages so OpenWRT can work with the USB ports, then connect your phone to the port using the cable and tether it. In the OpenWRT LUCI web interface, configure your WAN bridge to use the tun0 connection (that's your tether), and do DHCP on the ethernet port. Then connect a switch or commercial router to the ethernet and make sure it's acting as a DHCP client on the port you connect with, and a DHCP server (or in the case of a switch, DHCP "passthrough") on all its other ports and wifi.

On the phone, I simply installed a few apps I thought would help me treat the phone more like a modem, set most of its power-related settings to the most efficient, plugged it into my wall, and then plugged the USB cable into the router and initiated tethering.

Install an OpenVPN client on servers you want to have external access to and set up the port forwarding rules using the VPN's interface. Generate the VPN connection stuff and get that connection working.

I won't go into the vagaries of configuring IPFire transparent caching or the PiHole thing, as those aren't really necessary for this to work.

At the end of the day, I serve about ~10 devices in my home with HD video streams, gaming, and file downloading that reaches about ~600gb per month (far over the T-Mobile 50gb/mo throttle "warning" they put into the contract to scare away abusers). Performance typically reaches ~80d/30u after a recent tower upgrade went through; it was about 40d/15u prior. Latency is almost always sub 10ms; I can easily play Battlefield 1 and other such games over this connection while simultaneously streaming to Twitch and having my wife watch Netflix in the next room. Total cost to me ends up being a little less than Comcast for much more performance than what they had been offering me.

Let me know if you have any questions. My vested interest in this is a personal crusade against Comcast.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

If TMobile has its poo poo together with 5g and it’s TV service I will be so jazzed to kill off Comcast.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Maneki Neko posted:

If TMobile has its poo poo together with 5g and it’s TV service I will be so jazzed to kill off Comcast.

Just get rid of them now. You wont believe how quickly you forget about all the crappy tv on cable.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Don Lapre posted:

Just get rid of them now. You wont believe how quickly you forget about all the crappy tv on cable.

I thought about that the other day. I really do love my TV viewing experience so much now that I don't have commercials really. You just have to get used to picking what you want to watch instead of letting the TV spoon feed you. If in the rare occasion I do want to have mindless background noise going on, OTA or UKTV are great.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Croatoan posted:

I thought about that the other day. I really do love my TV viewing experience so much now that I don't have commercials really. You just have to get used to picking what you want to watch instead of letting the TV spoon feed you. If in the rare occasion I do want to have mindless background noise going on, OTA or UKTV are great.

I am the same way now having dropped my cable 3.5 years ago. I really can't stand to watch regular broadcast TV anymore. And there are so many mindless background noise options now. I did install a attic mount antenna and a HDHomeRun about a year ago, and I honestly don't know why I even bothered. I haven't actually used the thing more than 20 minutes total in that time.

Is it bad one of the primary reasons I bought my current home is because the entire town was served by fiber? (and 1 Gigabit fiber at that!) :D

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I really wish Netflix et. al had better interfaces and even something equivalent to what "zapping" used to be like. That's pretty much the only thing about analog TV that I miss (I know that satellite and cable hosed this up long before streaming services were a thing).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I really wish Netflix et. al had better interfaces and even something equivalent to what "zapping" used to be like. That's pretty much the only thing about analog TV that I miss (I know that satellite and cable hosed this up long before streaming services were a thing).

Pluto fills that niche pretty nicely now.

Sometimes I don't know what I want to watch and I'll just open Pluto and see what it gives me.
Their ad breaks suck though, I really wish they offered a paid tier.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FCKGW posted:

Pluto fills that niche pretty nicely now.

Sometimes I don't know what I want to watch and I'll just open Pluto and see what it gives me.

They just got bought out by Viacom, so maybe you'll get your wish!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FCKGW posted:

Viacom just acquired Pluto, so I think your wish will be granted in monkeys paw fashion.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I didn't know about Pluto, that's cool.

If licensing wasn't a thing I'd have an app where you set up your watchlist of all the shows you've been meaning to watch + recommendations by the algorithm and the app will show you curated snippets of those shows so you could zap through them and eventually once you hit something that you feel like watching, it seamlessly opens the right app and episode.

That's my dream merger of analog tv and modern streaming services.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

If licensing wasn't a thing I'd have an app where you set up your watchlist of all the shows you've been meaning to watch + recommendations by the algorithm and the app will show you curated snippets of those shows so you could zap through them and eventually once you hit something that you feel like watching, it seamlessly opens the right app and episode.

This was *sorta* the vision that Google had for the Google Home app when the chromecast first launched. It wouldn't go as far as showing snippets of shows to you, but it would learn your preferences and shows you like and populate the app with thumbnails of episodes that you can hit to launch the full app and cast to your TV. I think they had a lot of trouble getting buy-in from the providers on this though because support was always spotty. This was back in 2013/2014 too when this type of poo poo was still pretty new.

Then the Google Home/Alexa home automation train hit and Google dumped that poo poo altogether from the Home app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, Adult Swim doesn't require provider auth for their Marathon streams. So if you installed the [as] app on your platform of choice, you can watch 24/7 streams of Black Jesus, Squidbillies, Robot Chicken, Rick and Morty, Venture Brothers, DreamCorp LLC., Mr. Pickles, and Eric Andre.

I've been falling asleep to random episodes of The Venture Brothers for months.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

The thing I don't like about Pluto is the bitrate is trash, so the video quality is pretty bad. You get what you pay for. Cable/Satellite isn't much better, Netflix / Amazon Video etc. blows tv providers out of the water in that respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, episodes of shows that go up as paid on Amazon are the best quality you'll get of them except for the rare Blu-Ray releases.