Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

The big thing I noticed on a 787 was that the cabin was so much quieter that I could hear my fellow passengers sawing logs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

really? I definitely could when I went back to an A319 later that week.

Yeah, I went from a 788 to a 772 a while back and the difference was definitely noticeable.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Maybe I've been flying on an A380 a fair bit recently so it's not as noticeable as some of the older planes.

Also it's only a relatively short morning flight with a cold so I wasn't in the best of spirits regardless.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Split scimitar winglets look weird.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I've been flying Southwest this summer for work in the US, and about to hit their first frequent flyer tier. I have a trip coming up to Germany now though, possibly China, so I'm looking for an international Airline. I live in Canada, but the Buffalo international airport is about as close as Toronto Pearson for me. I'm not really seeing an end to this any time soon either short of a job change.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Are you really against Air Canada?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Golluk posted:

I've been flying Southwest this summer for work in the US, and about to hit their first frequent flyer tier. I have a trip coming up to Germany now though, possibly China, so I'm looking for an international Airline. I live in Canada, but the Buffalo international airport is about as close as Toronto Pearson for me. I'm not really seeing an end to this any time soon either short of a job change.

That first tier makes a big difference in boarding if you aren't buying the most expensive fare. You get to board between A and B groups, which means never having a middle seat and always finding overhead space.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Even during Oktoberfest the Sbahn and Ubahn trains run just fine. You won't have much personal space if you are trying to go at peak times but you'll get on. Hilton Munich City off the same subway stop. Two stops on the S8 and then a transfer to the U5 and you emerge right next to the tents. Far enough away to not have to deal with the drunks. But close enough to be one of them within a few minutes on the train. There's a couple of grocery stores in the basement of the shopping center that the Holiday Inn is attached to that are good for picking up cheap water/snack/beer between visits to the Weisn.

I dunno how set you are but if it were me I'd swap that itinerary. Go to the Alps first and then spend Monday and Tuesday at Oktoberfest before flying home. That way the tents will be open when you're in Munich. And on Monday/Tuesday you'll actually be able to get a seat in a tent.

Unless you've already got reserved seats for Saturday. In which case disregard that suggestion.

Bringing this discussion back up since it's only a few months away. I took your advice and pretty much flipped my itinerary.

Thursday: land in Munich, head straight for Modena/Maranello
Friday morning: check out the Ferrari museum, head through the Stelvio pass into Switzerland and stay the night in Zurich.
Saturday: Zurich to the Nurburgring, do some laps, head to Frankfurt for the night
Sunday: drive back to Munich, enjoy Oktoberfest
Monday: more Oktoberfest
Tuesday: fly home hung over as all hell.

Still staying at the Holiday Inn City Center in Munich, so when I head back from Frankfurt, I plan on dropping the car off at that point and using the U-bahn and S-bahn for the rest of the trip.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

why are you going to Frankfurt, Frankfurt sucks

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have a free night at an Intercontinental resort to burn, and that was the closest to the Nurburgring.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fair enough

Mainz is kind of neat actually.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

DJCobol posted:

Bringing this discussion back up since it's only a few months away. I took your advice and pretty much flipped my itinerary.

Thursday: land in Munich, head straight for Modena/Maranello
Friday morning: check out the Ferrari museum, head through the Stelvio pass into Switzerland and stay the night in Zurich.
Saturday: Zurich to the Nurburgring, do some laps, head to Frankfurt for the night
Sunday: drive back to Munich, enjoy Oktoberfest
Monday: more Oktoberfest
Tuesday: fly home hung over as all hell.

Still staying at the Holiday Inn City Center in Munich, so when I head back from Frankfurt, I plan on dropping the car off at that point and using the U-bahn and S-bahn for the rest of the trip.

What days are these? Wife and I land Munich on Morning of the 25th, then to Stuttgard for a night afternoon of 26th, back 27th, then out Friday.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

What days are these? Wife and I land Munich on Morning of the 25th, then to Stuttgard for a night afternoon of 26th, back 27th, then out Friday.

Thursday the 15th through Tuesday the 20th. We're going for opening weekend.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

DJCobol posted:

So close.

In other news the business trips to China and Australia got pushed back from a 2 week or more break to being back to back, if not just one long tour of duty. Gonna need some help on keeping my marriage from dissolving being gone for 3 weeks straight with an 9mo/old at home.

Oh, poo poo, then probably Europe after. So back for 3 days then leave again? I don't know.

All, that before the trip to Octoberfest.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Frankfurt Modern Art museum is one of the better ones I've been to.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Frankfurt sucks, but Wiesbaden (and Mainz) are cool to visit.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TheImmigrant posted:

Frankfurt sucks, but Wiesbaden (and Mainz) are cool to visit.

It's one night as we make our way back from the Nurburgring to Munich. As long as I can find a cool place to get a beer and some schnitzel or wurst, it's all good.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

DJCobol posted:

It's one night as we make our way back from the Nurburgring to Munich. As long as I can find a cool place to get a beer and some schnitzel or wurst, it's all good.

And the place to do so in that area is in Mainz. It's a 30 minute train ride from the flughafen; do it. Frankfurt sucks. </broken_record>

Edit: Go see the cathedral in Mainz too; even if you're not a Christian, it's staggeringly beautiful.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 7, 2016

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

DJCobol posted:

You can eat and drink very well in Frankfurt, but surrounding cities are more pleasant. Frankfurt is really a city that only a banker could love.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

Don't be disappointed if you don't get a seat on in a tent on Sunday (though you might get lucky with only two people if you happen to walk up while another couple is leaving ). On Monday if you show up in the late afternoon you should have no problem and might even be able to tent hop a bit before settling in for the evening.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TheImmigrant posted:

You can eat and drink very well in Frankfurt, but surrounding cities are more pleasant. Frankfurt is really a city that only a banker could love.

Frankfurt is the Chicago of Germany.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Frankfurt is the Chicago of Germany.

Frankfurt is the Houston of Germany.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Frankfurt is the Toronto of Germany.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Frankfurt is the Star Alliance hub of Germany

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

Frankfurt is the Star Alliance hub of Germany
Well now I hate Frankfurt preemptively.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

Well now I hate Frankfurt preemptively.

You'll get to hate it legitimately in a couple months!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You'll get to hate it legitimately in a couple months!

Maybe I should change to Heidelberg instead then. There is a nice Crowne Plaza there, and I already know I like that town from when I was there over Christmas.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

Maybe I should change to Heidelberg instead then. There is a nice Crowne Plaza there, and I already know I like that town from when I was there over Christmas.

I would, having never been to Heidelberg.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
What are international departures out of Schiphol like? Flying Aer Lingus with zero status of any sort and need to check bags.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Barry posted:

What are international departures out of Schiphol like? Flying Aer Lingus with zero status of any sort and need to check bags.

You're Schengen still for whatever your first Aer Lingus leg is, so it's essentially a domestic flight. It's a standard Euro airport with set counter numbers that you can find for checkin based on a large video board. Everything is centralized in a plaza / mall area that is the main entrance to the airport regardless of destination, then after that there are three departure halls. The video board will show which one you are supposed to go to.

The airport is a bit of a zoo (not CDG levels) but if you allow an hour for a Schengen flight you'll be fine.

Here's a confusing map: http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSchiphol/Maps/DeparturesAndLounges.htm

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I'm using my layover at ORD to eat Frontera and catch Pokemon.

Also does anyone have an accurate EQM calculator for AA? Miles calc is a little off from what's been posting to AAdvantage and I'm worried I will just barely miss plat.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How much is everyone getting per diem?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
$30 :(

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Roughly $75 here.

Wrapped up my platinum challenge at SPG over the weekend. That's too many drat nights in a hotel, not sure how sustainable this is.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Roughly $75 here.

Same. Every time 5PM hits and I'm all over Yelp / TripAdvisor.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

How much is everyone getting per diem?

Exactly GSA. Which is $69 in DC.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

nice

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
i hate all of you fuckers

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I have a conference coming up in Chicago in September and my secretary just let us know that per diem is $173, which seems stupid high, especially since we're local government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
3 cup noodles