Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Shniep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

what

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

oh hey bro..didn't mean to throw ur name out. ... please don't hack me

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Subjunctive posted:

Sun was encrypting the source drops I got from them in 1997, so probably not no.

is BSD talking about the specifications and not the implementation?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

celeron 300a posted:

that would be a pretty unusual definition of "open source", even by the standards of yospos rhetoric

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

he incorrectly read the wiki close thread

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bsd doesnt know what hes talking about :wth:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

what parts? they didn't start to open-source the runtime until 2006.

Suspicious Dish posted:

OK, now you're just flat out lying.

celeron 300a posted:

java has always had source available, since the first day i touched it. the 1996 date came from the first "blackdown java" release: non-Sun coders ported java to linux without Sun's help

the license was very restrictive with respect to redistribution, but afaik java was never closed source

2006 was when they started releasing code under licenses more acceptable to cheeto-bearded fanatics. the source had always been freely available before that, just not FREE AS IN FREEDOM GNU FOREVER free.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

theadder posted:

he incorrectly read the wiki close thread

only when linux is on the desktop

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

java has always had source available, since the first day i touched it. the 1996 date came from the first "blackdown java" release: non-Sun coders ported java to linux without Sun's help

the license was very restrictive with respect to redistribution, but afaik java was never closed source

2006 was when they started releasing code under licenses more acceptable to cheeto-bearded fanatics. the source had always been freely available before that, just not FREE AS IN FREEDOM GNU FOREVER free.

are we going to start splitting hairs and differentiating between the base java api and the virtual machine

or are we going to argue about what the definition of open source is

either way this is a good way to start the weekend

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

celeron 300a posted:

only when linux is on the desktop

it's on my desktop,op please do the needful

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows was always open source. i remember decompiling ntoskrnl.exe in 2002. been there the whole time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you could license some of the source for Java for $0 (though with some pretty onerous clauses), but it was hardly open source. it required you to enter into a contract with Sun, among other things. at Netscape we couldn't share JVM patches with other licensees even (including those which made some drops of the code actually run on Solaris).

I don't think Karl and co would ever have described Blackdown as open source, and IIRC Sun never released source to any of the JITs prior to the grand relicensing in 06.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

gnome 2 and to a lesser extent kde 3 were just about acceptable. every linux de since has been poorly conceived and even more poorly implemented cargo-culting crap. hth

shitface fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 24, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

celeron 300a posted:

are we going to start splitting hairs and differentiating between the base java api and the virtual machine

the whole kit and kaboodle was freely available, with source

only the mobile stuff was closed. and nobody ever used that anyway

celeron 300a posted:

or are we going to argue about what the definition of open source is

in the early 2000s, a lobbying group tried to convince the industry that "open source" meant something more than just having open access to the source. i never much bought into that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

you could license some of the source for Java for $0 (though with some pretty onerous clauses), but it was hardly open source. it required you to enter into a contract with Sun, among other things. at Netscape we couldn't share JVM patches with other licensees even (including those which made some drops of the code actually run on Solaris).

the "contract with sun" was a clickthrough agreement

the inability to share jvm patches is what drove the cheeto-beard crowd nuts

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think Karl and co would ever have described Blackdown as open source, and IIRC Sun never released source to any of the JITs prior to the grand relicensing in 06.

the whole thing was open source

or did you imagine that blackdown 1.2.0+ was somehow ported w/out access to the jit

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in the early 2000s, a lobbying group tried to convince the industry that "open source" meant something more than just having open access to the source. i never much bought into that

the term "open source" in its OSI sense was coined in a meeting of free software nerds following the announcement of the Netscape source release, I think before we announced the license but after we'd ruled out the GPL. probably March 1998 at the latest. Linus and ESR and Tiemann and such picked it up pretty quickly, and I think we referenced it when we pushed the first source drop on March 31st of that year.

the only other meaning the phrase has really ever had refers to unclassified intelligence sources, AFAIK

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

or did you imagine that blackdown 1.2.0+ was somehow ported w/out access to the jit

my recollection was that Blackdown had private access to J2SE that was more complete than the public source, including hotspot. maybe that's not right; I recall there being a bunch of 3rd-party JITs for Blackdown that played hell with the Java plugin.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

the term "open source" in its OSI sense was coined in a meeting of free software nerds following the announcement of the Netscape source release, I think before we announced the license but after we'd ruled out the GPL. probably March 1998 at the latest. Linus and ESR and Tiemann and such picked it up pretty quickly, and I think we referenced it when we pushed the first source drop on March 31st of that year.

the only other meaning the phrase has really ever had refers to unclassified intelligence sources, AFAIK

as with "free software" two words with plain meaning got a lot of extra crap attached

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

my recollection was that Blackdown had private access to J2SE that was more complete than the public source, including hotspot. maybe that's not right; I recall there being a bunch of 3rd-party JITs for Blackdown that played hell with the Java plugin.

i can remember compiling a working java from scratch on freebsd circa 2001, so clearly the public release was pretty darned complete. sun sure wasn't building any binary blobs for freebsd users.

i know for sure blackdown got a better license than the public, since they were able to redistribute binaries, when no one else could.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i can remember compiling a working java from scratch on freebsd circa 2001, so clearly the public release was pretty darned complete. sun sure wasn't building any binary blobs for freebsd users.

i know for sure blackdown got a better license than the public, since they were able to redistribute binaries, when no one else could.

oh, it worked, but IIRC it was just the interpreter in the public-clickthrough drop. maybe that's not true. Blackdown got the TCK license, which was the really big deal.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as with "free software" two words with plain meaning got a lot of extra crap attached

"Being able to download the source without going through a publicly-held company's legal department" isn't a lot of extra crap imo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
to me it means "dont have to pay for it"

i refuse to acknowledge RMS' redefinition of basic words to suit his political agendas, but, source code doesnt have to be available to everyone if the programs work well and are maintained by their providers. i dont want to have to fix their bugs to use their poo poo.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"Being able to download the source without going through a publicly-held company's legal department" isn't a lot of extra crap imo

oh yeah that click through license was a real killer

got rsi clicking twice, a checkbox AND a submit button

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
hey remember when gnome was cool and good

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Just to be clear, you're taking about the source dump which was obfuscated, slow, and had maybe a fourth of the functionality of the real JVM, which stopped existing after Sun sued MS for their MSJVM?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not seeing it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I'm the randomly bold and fuzzy font characters.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh yeah that click through license was a real killer

got rsi clicking twice, a checkbox AND a submit button

the issue isn't whether or not it stumped you, though I can understand that you want to celebrate your ability to navigate a challenging artifact like that. the issue is that the terms were pretty onerous if you ever actually wanted to work on a virtual machine of some kind, which might be expected if you're interested in the source for a virtual machine. (it also wasn't really clear what commercial use meant, even in the absence of distribution.)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

is this what u think is good

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

umm no. i am

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i should like to be the kerning

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

im the photorealistic padlock next to the cartoon speaker

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

carry on then posted:

anybody can contribute :smugmrgw:

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

akadajet posted:

linux font rendering works from the "mechanical pencil on wet paper" model.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it looks like cde, but worse. which is frankly incredible

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it was also much much slower and had a more awkward programming model, both of which are signal accomplishments in their own right

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it looks bad but it also looks better than any linux out there today

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Just to be clear, you're taking about the source dump which was obfuscated, slow, and had maybe a fourth of the functionality of the real JVM, which stopped existing after Sun sued MS for their MSJVM?

Subjunctive posted:

oh, it worked, but IIRC it was just the interpreter in the public-clickthrough drop. maybe that's not true.

i do not remember the versions built from source being in any way incomplete. looking at docs about java on freebsd back in '01, they talk about the challenges of developing a valid patchset to build hotspot. which implies the public release contained hotspot.

i'm not sure how or why sun would distribute a known-broken java

it is also possible the public source dumps lagged the actual releases. java 1.2 is when it stopped being slow and terrible, maybe the source release was trapped on 1.1 for some time and i just never would have had reason to notice

p.s. the microsoft/sun lawsuit was in 1997.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Last Chance posted:

it looks bad but it also looks better than any linux out there today

also it has a start menu and all the window buttons where you expect them

gnome 1: unironically more usable than gnome 3

carry on then posted:

the worst part is that one of them has a drop shadow