Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Yeah, there are people who did that.

*points to self* This guy. If you guys are curious, you get the ring after the credits roll.

Hmmm. Cleric start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I've swapped out to lighter stuff and try to wipe the dogs with a greatsword swing.

This boss is such a loving cum stain, it can go gently caress itself. :darksouls:

Just remember that it's optional. I was raging pretty hard on PS3. Honestly if you can't do it in the amount of Ring of Life/Soul Protections (and I hope to God you are using them) you have then come back later. I know Dark Souls is all about masochism, but if you are lacking I would say level up your endurance and/or ADP for RRA. He really is just the worst in terms of forced dodging and general nastiness

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Getting real sick of summoning 6 people in a row who just black crystal out cuz they're too cheap to buy the name engraved ring to play with their friends. I mean, I understand people like playing games with friends and poo poo but this is just getting out of hand. Don't do that.

I'm starting my mundane build run right now and I'm considering rolling my bow character soon. I am trying to decide if I want to go through with a Company of Champions run right now but I figure I'll wait until I decide to do my Quality character before I do that since bare fists are technically quality with the champions endgame ring. Not sure yet. I'll inevitably have to do sorceries for the cheevos but... sorcery has always been the most boring way to play the souls games so I'll probably save that for last.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Studio posted:

Hmmm. Cleric start?

Pfft hell no. I basically went with the knight class to get high hp and basically went commando. Basically any weapon broke, I just picked up any weapon I could find. I mean once I got to lenigrast I stocked up on weapons. I did enjoy having to switch weapons on the fly. Plus it's actually surprising that you can get at least maybe 5 weapons before you get to the first boss.

Armor was surprisingly able to not break for the longest. Basically I invested in my STR/DEX stats first so I can at least wield enough weapons and then 25 on ADP. I have gotten to use to rolling through those iframes so it wasn't too bad.

Only place that sucked was Shrine of Anime.

This was BEFORE those patches.

Yeah.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

their lil poopers posted:

My dumb trick was to never lock on and just guerrilla strike down as many rats as I could in a half bar of stamina and then run away for a bit. Took a couple tries to beat that phoned in fight though.

Aside from the rapier are there any good dex weapons early on in the game? I've just been using the Varangian sword for the damage and the Heide knight sword for halls because of the moveset. I'm roughly at each large soul fight and SL75 or so.

"good" and "DEX" don't go together in DS2 unfortunately :/

I beat PS3 DSII for the most part as a DEX roll and it was really kind of a struggle. PVP was sissyphian

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Control Volume posted:

Apparently there are people out there who have done a combined no-dying no-bonfire run. :psyduck:

Also my dark souls highlight of the evening was trying to figure out what ***emind was originally supposed to be. Good censor.

Looks like it was HIV. Why they decided to censor that, though, I have no idea.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

This Cl***ic filter is ridic

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

VAC bans usually take a few days to come into effect. It would be pretty lovely if this causes some people to be banned.

please don't scare me :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I have a question about offline mode. Is there actually like a toggle for it somewhere this time around or do I still have to manually kill my connection like with the first game?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Cardboard Box posted:

please don't scare me :(

You should probably stop using it just to be safe, let somebody else find out if they flag the graphic enhancement as cheating. It's honestly why I've avoided it so far.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

You should probably stop using it just to be safe, let somebody else find out if they flag the graphic enhancement as cheating. It's honestly why I've avoided it so far.

Does anyone know if it's more intensive system wise? My machine is already long in the tooth and maxed out DSII is stuttery :(

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Pfft hell no. I basically went with the knight class to get high hp and basically went commando. Basically any weapon broke, I just picked up any weapon I could find. I mean once I got to lenigrast I stocked up on weapons. I did enjoy having to switch weapons on the fly. Plus it's actually surprising that you can get at least maybe 5 weapons before you get to the first boss.

Armor was surprisingly able to not break for the longest. Basically I invested in my STR/DEX stats first so I can at least wield enough weapons and then 25 on ADP. I have gotten to use to rolling through those iframes so it wasn't too bad.

Only place that sucked was Shrine of Anime.

This was BEFORE those patches.

Yeah.

Hey now, you're not speedrunning, you can do what most people do and bow the place down! It seems like a fun challenge but not sure if it's one I'd do.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How do you handle the two-handed mace weilding drakekeepers? I can deal with literally everything else in that place except for those tried and true 'try rolling' isn't working :(.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Has anyone managed to extract the dark souls 2 GameData archives? I know a bunch of people have managed to do it, but i cannot find any clues or hints as to exactly what changed from Armored Core => Dark Souls 2.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

How do you handle the two-handed mace weilding drakekeepers? I can deal with literally everything else in that place except for those tried and true 'try rolling' isn't working :(.

One at a time, ranged weaponry is good too. If you can tank em just shield up, otherwise you'll probably want to lead your attacks because they are deceptively fast, or roll into them so you wind up behind them for a backstab. God help you if you get attacked by 3 at once, in which case try to trigger them at the same time and then use sweeping attacks

this goes for every organic creature but use poison if you can, always worth your time

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Alan Smithee posted:

"good" and "DEX" don't go together in DS2 unfortunately :/

I beat PS3 DSII for the most part as a DEX roll and it was really kind of a struggle. PVP was sissyphian

Yeah, I really hope that gets evened out in later patches. After doing a decent amount run with a DEX/HEX caster then saying "gently caress it" and switching to a smashy build I'm having so much more fun. STR/blunt weapons are hilariously strong against all of the actually tough enemies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I switched to greatswords (mastodon to be exact) about 80-90% of the way through and found it way way easier to use. It's slower than say the Uchi but it actually does damage

on my PC run Im using maces and good God those things spoil me hardcore compared to the uphill battle of DEX weapons

really you should probably only use DEX if it's a gimmick like Ricard's and you infuse it with poison or something

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Max posted:

I may have a skewed perspective because I always play a caster in these games which makes it feel like I'm cheating sometimes, but the Flexile sentry was a complete joke of a fight.

Flexile is pretty universally a joke. I haven't seen a more divided opinion base than RRA though.

Captain Oblivious posted:

You know, my friend claimed this too but from Sunbroing constantly I have literally only seen one other person wearing this thing. Go figure :shrug:

It's the best at least strongest early game armor so early PVP is all you see. Eventually people mix it up though

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Ugh, the enemy despawning is really annoying when you actually try to farm something with a low drop rate. Keep killing Sorceress in the Earthen Peak hoping to get their skirt, but even after completely clearing one area of them I didn't get it. Now I have to farm a far worse spot since the ones in the good spot despawned.

VVV Well yeah but I don't want to put an area into NG+ just because of a dumb item.

Are you wearing the Merchant Traveler Hat (fully upgraded?) Also there's a Gold Covetous Serpeant ring. Must haves for farming items

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Covetous+Gold+Serpent+Ring#.U18-yVdUnv8

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Studio posted:

Hey now, you're not speedrunning, you can do what most people do and bow the place down! It seems like a fun challenge but not sure if it's one I'd do.

Oh no no, it was more so of the dreadful thought of going back because when I was done with Undead Crypt I wanted to get a fight out of the way immediately.
Basically getting the king's ring, I trecked through the Shrine and all the way back to Drangelic Castle to take down the Thrones W and D. I know it sounds silly but I really wanted to lower my chances of loving up the run by at least taking those two out and not having to fight a third boss. Its' funny my run was almost over because of her. Her stupid laser came out of nowhere and nearly killed me.

Also yeah I bowed but the loving drat spells curved and sometimes those bastards Hit me even when I hid. Basically some WANTED bullshit. :v:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Woooooohohohohoah. Flame Swathe is obscene when you have good Int/Faith and an upgraded Flame.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

DrNutt posted:

So wtf, I thought if you killed a Belfry invader you got a grace period? I killed my first dude in a badass melee duel and was invaded like 4 seconds later by some dicklord that spammed soul arrow at me.

you can be invaded by up to 2 people at the same time

:getin:

Cheston posted:

Woooooohohohohoah. Flame Swathe is obscene when you have good Int/Faith and an upgraded Flame.

If you like that poo poo wait til you see Forbidden Sun. Just don't pull that loving lever!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Alan Smithee posted:

Are you wearing the Merchant Traveler Hat (fully upgraded?) Also there's a Gold Covetous Serpeant ring. Must haves for farming items

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Covetous+Gold+Serpent+Ring#.U18-yVdUnv8

When you say fully upgraded, do you mean +10? Does it actually increase the item rate if you upgrade the hat?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Does anyone know if it's more intensive system wise? My machine is already long in the tooth and maxed out DSII is stuttery :(

If you're already having trouble, don't bother. It will impose a performance hit short of disabling all of the stuff it adds, in which case you're just as well running the game vanilla.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flame Swathe is hard to hit with, but when it hits it hits like a truck.

Alan Smithee posted:

If you like that poo poo wait til you see Forbidden Sun. Just don't pull that loving lever!

I looked this up and it occurs to me I've never seen Cale anywhere after seeing him in that cave. After exhausting his dialogues he's never shown up at Majula. Is there an alternate way to fulfill that contract that doesn't involve beating the game?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shindragon posted:

When you say fully upgraded, do you mean +10? Does it actually increase the item rate if you upgrade the hat?

I believe so. I'm wearing it right now and noticed at +0 it would rarely drop poo poo, at least not any moreso than you would without it. I upped it to about 7 I think and now it started dropping more noticeably.

keep in mind I beat NG on PS3 and wore that thing all the time so I definitely have a feel for drops. Wearing it with the Covetous Gold and that thing is a license to print farmables

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Flame Swathe is hard to hit with, but when it hits it hits like a truck.

I looked this up and it occurs to me I've never seen Cale anywhere after seeing him in that cave. After exhausting his dialogues he's never shown up at Majula. Is there an alternate way to fulfill that contract that doesn't involve beating the game?

I pulled the lever in NG on PS3 :/

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Alan Smithee posted:

I believe so. I'm wearing it right now and noticed at +0 it would rarely drop poo poo, at least not any moreso than you would without it. I upped it to about 7 I think and now it started dropping more noticeably.

keep in mind I beat NG on PS3 and wore that thing all the time so I definitely have a feel for drops. Wearing it with the Covetous Gold and that thing is a license to print farmables

Cool, I'll test this tomorrow. It's probably better than the prison set. I have a feeling that rarely does anything.

edit: Cale doesn't show up at the mansion because

Did you beat the skeleton all the way down stairs? Cale doesnt' show up unless you kill that skeleton.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I have a question about offline mode. Is there actually like a toggle for it somewhere this time around or do I still have to manually kill my connection like with the first game?

Try switching Steam to offline mode before starting the game, that should work.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Alan Smithee posted:

One at a time, ranged weaponry is good too. If you can tank em just shield up, otherwise you'll probably want to lead your attacks because they are deceptively fast, or roll into them so you wind up behind them for a backstab. God help you if you get attacked by 3 at once, in which case try to trigger them at the same time and then use sweeping attacks

this goes for every organic creature but use poison if you can, always worth your time

I can tank it fine for 5-6 sets of combos they leave me with almost no opening to hit them, they're so fast. I guess this means they'll be getting sunlight spears until they quit spawning then because gently caress that huge trek up to the boss.

Speaking of Drangleic armor I've been wearing that since the beginning and now I'm SL 109, SM 2.3m I haven't found anything heavy that lets me keep medium roll that is better than it yet. I like the look of looking glass knight armor and havels armor but both of those will put me over 70% with royal soldier + 1 and third dragon ring.

E: Also if I use a bonfire ascetic in Alidia's will it respawn Navlan in his cell? I accidentally freed him so I decided to kill him before he became a problem.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shindragon posted:

Cool, I'll test this tomorrow. It's probably better than the prison set. I have a feeling that rarely does anything.

Did you beat the skeleton all the way down stairs? Cale doesnt' show up unless you kill that skeleton.

I dont know how the stuff stacks but Im pretty sure Hat + Ring should at least

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Alan Smithee posted:

It's the best at least strongest early game armor so early PVP is all you see. Eventually people mix it up though

If by mix it up you mean they switch to Vengarl's when they get it, and then never-ever change armour sets after that. :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shindragon posted:

Yeah, I did. Reloaded the zone and didn't see him either. Do I need to go back to the cave and tell him the coast is clear?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

I can tank it fine for 5-6 sets of combos they leave me with almost no opening to hit them, they're so fast. I guess this means they'll be getting sunlight spears until they quit spawning then because gently caress that huge trek up to the boss.

Speaking of Drangleic armor I've been wearing that since the beginning and now I'm SL 109, SM 2.3m I haven't found anything heavy that lets me keep medium roll that is better than it yet. I like the look of looking glass knight armor and havels armor but both of those will put me over 70% with royal soldier + 1 and third dragon ring.

E: Also if I use a bonfire ascetic in Alidia's will it respawn Navlan in his cell? I accidentally freed him so I decided to kill him before he became a problem.

Fun Fact: wear merchant hat and/or covetous gold while you kill dragon priests and amana witches, they drop twinkling titanite

nftyw posted:

I wish Luna Belfry did not have all these dumb two on one situations. Bellbros can basically play wahh wahh little baby whenever and wherever and they get bailed out for free by whoever comes in after them. And even if you do take out the phantoms, you get jack poo poo for it.

Still, it was very nice sunbro-ing it up with the few higher level people who wished to go in there to take out the gargoyles. Made better by the couple times where we not only beat them, but shoved a club up a few phantoms' asses who were likely all too used to "heh I don't need any skill I just need to surviv- oh shi- LIGHTNING SPEAR'D"

Also one tremendous coward who disconnected the moment he saw that it was one against two instead of his usual comfy two against one :frogout:

It's stupid that it's basically chunk farm for the bellbros but you get diddly if you beat 2 invaders which should net you a drat medal really

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 29, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, I did. Reloaded the zone and didn't see him either. Do I need to go back to the cave and tell him the coast is clear?

I think so. That is weird I never ran into that issue. I mostly exhausted his option and waiting until he said he would meet me at Majula, go to mansion, clean it up and then bonfire rest and bam he's right there.

Though, I don't go to the mansion very often so I guess I never seen him disappear.

edit: Hahahaha, it begins VVVV :getin:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Beginning of Doors of Pharros:

that loving chest is going to haunt my dreams :tinfoil:

***the worst part is that I saw the teeth immediately and I TRIED TO ROLL AWAY AND IT SNAPPED ME UP

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh man I tried to get behind someone on the bridge for the Bellbros and I walked off and died instead. :negative:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jose posted:

Can anyone give me advice on how to build a mage? I know I need lots of int and atn but not really sure how else I build my character. Will I need to level dex/str for melee weapons/shields ever? What about end/vgr/vit?

I'm doing a Cleric build, STR and magics. If you wanna melee I would say STR though having low DEX shuts me out of some admittedly good weapons. Nothing you can't live without, and I wouldn't recommend most DEX weapons for PVP anyway. Or PVE for that matter. Old Whip is a DEX weapon good for PVE but not PVP, swords are kinda meh without infusion

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shindragon posted:

I think so. That is weird I never ran into that issue. I mostly exhausted his option and waiting until he said he would meet me at Majula, go to mansion, clean it up and then bonfire rest and bam he's right there.

Though, I don't go to the mansion very often so I guess I never seen him disappear.

edit: Hahahaha, it begins VVVV :getin:

Yeah, think I will tomorrow. Though, it's not like I'm going to actually kill him for power or anything.

Actually, can I skip killing Cale and just give the guy Felkin's staff I bought, or do I have to do the contracts in order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cheston posted:

Beginning of Doors of Pharros:

that loving chest is going to haunt my dreams :tinfoil:

***the worst part is that I saw the teeth immediately and I TRIED TO ROLL AWAY AND IT SNAPPED ME UP

If you open it you're dead, plain and simple. I don't think there are any monster grab attacks you can escape from by button smashing ala DS