Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Much thanks. It's not that they're bad information, it's that I read enough (ie, too much) news already, so they're never actually "news" by the time the notification pops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sweart gliwere posted:

I got an entire article recently in untranslated Korean!

This happened to me yesterday. I was very confused.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

sweart gliwere posted:

Wish I could change their phrasing "your interest in Donald Trump" etc since it's more of a morbid obligate awareness.

I get tons of those, usually multiple articles from different sources about Trump said a thing that I never click on. No idea why, maybe they heavily weight him as a topic so if you looked at a couple of articles once you're marked for the Trump feed

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
For a recommendation I wouldn't have discovered without asking around: YouTube Gaming uses a default dark theme and has the same available channels as standard YouTube (ad-free if you have the red/music pass).

I couldn't care less about the "gamer" features of it, but you can manually add any type of channel and use the right-most label "Channels" for browsing. Great for OLED or night use, or just being a gloomy goon.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't get PiP working for youtube on Oreo. I have youtube red but whenever I press home, the video just goes into audio only

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not really, it only pulls from Gmail (ie. you can't add whatever you want to your itinerary) and it focuses more on "what can I do and eat and discover in my destination area" rather than keeping track of bookings and aggregating that info.

AwardWallet is great for this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there a better app for uploading pictures than imgur's native app? Bonus points if I can use it to upload to lpix

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there a better app for uploading pictures than imgur's native app? Bonus points if I can use it to upload to lpix

I just go to the website in browser and tick the "request desktop site" box.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In Piktures, when I view an image stored in the cloud (OneDrive in my case) it refuses to display it at full res, even when I'm on wifi, which is absolutely aggravating. Is there an option to change that, and if not is there another app that will (and also lets me use OneDrive)?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

In Piktures, when I view an image stored in the cloud (OneDrive in my case) it refuses to display it at full res, even when I'm on wifi, which is absolutely aggravating. Is there an option to change that, and if not is there another app that will (and also lets me use OneDrive)?
I don't specifically know about the full res thing, but obviously you could give the Onedrive app a shot. QuickPic also allows you to browse your pictures there. I'd try that first, as a matter of fact. It's a decent picture viewer in general.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's true, I have the app but didn't really think of it as a picture app. :doh:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Is there a decent app that prevents my phone from changing ringer volume by something accidentally punching the volume buttons in my pocket when the screen is otherwise locked?

I just want it to not change volume while locked, nothing else.
Why that's not a default option in android I cannot fathom.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Because having to unlock your phone whilst it's in your pocket when you're listening to music would be really annoying

I'm not suggesting it wouldn't be a nice option but it's quite obvious why it isn't a default

E:Oh you said ringer, that doesn't change when the screen is off?

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 23, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah I just checked and hitting the volume buttons with the screen off does nothing.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Maybe this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.dieterthiess.stfu

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Skarsnik posted:

Because having to unlock your phone whilst it's in your pocket when you're listening to music would be really annoying

I'm not suggesting it wouldn't be a nice option but it's quite obvious why it isn't a default

E:Oh you said ringer, that doesn't change when the screen is off?

It does on mine with the Glance thing turned on, which I like, since there's no notification led on my phone. That seems poorly thought out to me.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There is an ok parallax live wallpaper temporarily free for the next couple of days

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamelounge.chrooma_2_lwp.android

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Was surprised to see Timely got an update today, bugfixes only but still.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The only recurring bug I have with timely, is that if I've previously set a countdown timer (often with assistant) the next time I open timely to set my alarm, it sets the countdown timer running again in the background

Picture me getting into bed quietly at 1 in the morning after work trying not to wake the Mrs, setting my alarm and then all hell breaking loose 10 minutes later as it goes off

Luckily if that is going to happen it also coincides with an odd graphical bug where the alarm times are skinned differently to everything else so I know to switch screens and stop it running

Software is weird

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Holy gently caress the snapchat app is such a laggy piece of poo poo. Even on a Pixel XL.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Snapchat sucks rear end for that exact reason.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Whats better between spotify and google play music?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

I'm a big proponent of GPM, even before it got you YouTube Red. Now that you get both, I can't understand using anything else

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Honestly, GPM is nice because it's "google" and has Youtube Red included, but that's really the only leg up it has on Spotify right now. Spotify has a much better UI and is just more pleasant to use, I found.

I stick with GPM though because of the Youtube Red.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Spotify is great, it has a great UI and a great desktop app. GPM is almost as good but also come with free no ad YouTube Red/ playback with the screen off. The no ad on YouTube makes me stick with Google.

If you try both for a month and cancel at the end of the free month they'll usually send you a deal with something like 3 months for 99 cents.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I always get a weird bug with Spotify where my Playlist loops after 6 or so songs on shuffle and u could never figure out why. Ended up switching to GPM and haven't looked back.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Did Spotify ever add the "feature" to reorder your playlist after adding songs to it? I remember that being one thing that frustrated me before switching to GPM.

Edit: Nope, you still can't reorder songs in a playlist on Android. They know about the lack of this feature but it's not in the pipeline.

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 26, 2017

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I wanted to use Macrodroid so when I turn youtube on it checks for wifi, because it's not the first time I see a couple of videos only to notice the wifi is turned off, but when giving it permissions I get this message "if you turn on macrodroid your device wont use your screen lock to enhance data encryption" what exactly is the consequence of turning it on?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Honest Thief posted:

I wanted to use Macrodroid so when I turn youtube on it checks for wifi, because it's not the first time I see a couple of videos only to notice the wifi is turned off, but when giving it permissions I get this message "if you turn on macrodroid your device wont use your screen lock to enhance data encryption" what exactly is the consequence of turning it on?
Apparently, it will change your encryption password to the Android default one, allowing everyone to decrypt the "encrypted" data. The PIN you enter at powering on your device may not be used for encryption at all.

I had no idea myself, and may be affected through a permission I granted a Tasker plugin. That's really a poorly worded warning.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Spotify has better market share so occasionally you'll miss out on little exclusive things; but overall if you're in the Google ecosystem and can see yourself using the additional perks of YouTube Red (no ads being the obvious one), Play Music is a great choice. And 99% of the catalog is the same. For now.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Not sure if Spotify has group discounts, but I pay $15/month for 6 accounts on GPM/YouTube Red. Totally worth it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

butt dickus posted:

Not sure if Spotify has group discounts, but I pay $15/month for 6 accounts on GPM/YouTube Red. Totally worth it.

They do and I believe its the exact same price/number of accounts.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

YouTube Red isn't available in most of the world (only in the US, Australia, New Zealand, Korea and Mexico) and everyone in this thread should be aware of that when they recommend it :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Looking at the news you might think the US is terrible, but the mainstream media doesn't report that we have YouTube Red.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I have to use a backup phone for a few days for [reasons], is there a good app to essentially clone apps and settings from my pixel to a 5X, without root?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Taffer posted:

I have to use a backup phone for a few days for [reasons], is there a good app to essentially clone apps and settings from my pixel to a 5X, without root?

There might be, but what I would do would be to factory reset the 5x and then it will pull in all your apps and settings from The Cloud. (mostly at least, some apps apparently still don't use the google mechanism for backups. When I just did this it probably got 90% of my apps set right back up)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

There might be, but what I would do would be to factory reset the 5x and then it will pull in all your apps and settings from The Cloud. (mostly at least, some apps apparently still don't use the google mechanism for backups. When I just did this it probably got 90% of my apps set right back up)

Agreed, this works fairly well for the most part

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Wow, I hadn't used this for years, didn't know how much better it had gotten. It's downloading everything now, thanks for the suggestion!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

YouTube Red isn't available in most of the world (only in the US, Australia, New Zealand, Korea and Mexico) and everyone in this thread should be aware of that when they recommend it :(

If screen-off play is a feature you're missing, Firefox mobile can fill that role. Up to you whether to minimize data I guess, but most of the world has better plans with cheaper data rates than us (US) anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sweart gliwere posted:

most of the world has better plans with cheaper data rates than us (US) anyway.

Lol dude, $120/mo for 5GB.