Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, this is either IFCC (the speech bubble is pretty fire and brimstone colored), or Serini loving something up and dungeon defenses and monsters getting triggered, because the PC party does not simply waltz into the final dungeons unopposed. Or both. :v:

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

If Rich lets Sunny get hurt I will be very upset

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
"Entrance" may mean the introduction of someone new, corroborated by the unique bubble.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's a little late in the story for anything that's not related to the main plot, so I'm guessing IFCC, possibly intervening through something in the dungeon.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder if this is the gold(?) dragon that Sunny had a drawing of earlier: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1257.html

The colors match up: deep orange to yellow.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder if this is the gold(?) dragon that Sunny had a drawing of earlier: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1257.html

The colors match up: deep orange to yellow.

That's Serini and Kraagor fighting a dragon, I think. Kraagor is dead by the time Serini starts building this place.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm pretty sure it's a monster sirini made a trap out of in the next room, one with domination abilities. It doesn't need to be a new antagonist per se to throw a wrench in the works

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nenonen posted:

That's Serini and Kraagor fighting a dragon, I think. Kraagor is dead by the time Serini starts building this place.

Oh, I guess you're right. Probably that was just a random focus to fill a panel.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

ikanreed posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a monster sirini made a trap out of in the next room, one with domination abilities. It doesn't need to be a new antagonist per se to throw a wrench in the works

But all monsters should currently be in stasis, right?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

oobey posted:

Theory: Sunny had gone far enough before being told to stop that the monster trap triggered.

Might even be a good overengineering to make a walkway and then make the trap spring when someone levitates over or next to it, because the bridge is so obvious trap.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh poor Sunny...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

oobey posted:

Well if you were in magical stasis and you wanted out, and a mobile anti-magic field just happened to walk by...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like IFCC is more likely because I feel like we're past the Order causing bad things to happen when trying to do good things.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Nenonen posted:

That's true, but it doesn't mean they actually killed the dragon.

Anyway, I hope Sunny gets out okay, and those special speech bubbles look great (and ominous).

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Zombie Dachshund posted:

If Rich lets Sunny get hurt I will be very upset

Literally had the exact same reaction

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

So will my daughter lol she will wreck poo poo

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like IFCC is more likely because I feel like we're past the Order causing bad things to happen when trying to do good things.

How would they do that?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gun Jam posted:

How would they do that?

One theory posted above I think was that they accidentally triggered on of the stasis pods to open.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Sunny has that Anti-Antimagic lens over her main eye as recently as here, so I'm leaning towards the IFCC being up to shenanigans rather than accidentally letting some big nasty out of stasis.

Whatever it is also describes Sunny as a fascinating tool, implying some greater plan than "get out and wreck poo poo", which is what most stasis'd monsters would be thinking imo.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
This late in the game, the only ‘new’ major character that makes sense to introduce for me is the Snarl itself, or something from within the rift that is associated with it. That’s a shoe that has been waiting to drop for a long time now

E: even the way Sunny is seemingly entranced seems reminiscent of how Blackwing was entranced when peering into the Azure City rift

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 1, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Slashrat posted:

This late in the game, the only ‘new’ major character that makes sense to introduce for me is the Snarl itself, or something from within the rift that is associated with it. That’s a shoe that has been waiting to drop for a long time now

E: even the way Sunny is seemingly entranced seems reminiscent of how Blackwing was entranced when peering into the Azure City rift

That's... actually a good point, and Sunny did also have an image of the Snarl in their drawings. With reality breaking down, maybe the Snarl is able to take more of a direct hand, and ISN'T the unintelligent creature it's been presented as.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Slashrat posted:

Not really. Blackwing was shocked, not stupefied. Sunny seems pretty dominated, Blackwing was just in awe.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So why are elves good at searching for things anyway?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Clarste posted:

So why are elves good at searching for things anyway?

Well, D&D cribbed a lot of its character archetype stuff from Tolkien, so maybe it has something to do with Elrond having knowledge/understanding of the secret way into the Lonely Mountain, or the secret Elvish door into Moria. I'm trying to think about whether Legolas ever does anything secret door related, but I can't think of anything.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

They can echo locate the slightest details in a wall with their big ears. It's canon now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well, D&D cribbed a lot of its character archetype stuff from Tolkien, so maybe it has something to do with Elrond having knowledge/understanding of the secret way into the Lonely Mountain, or the secret Elvish door into Moria. I'm trying to think about whether Legolas ever does anything secret door related, but I can't think of anything.

Legolas could use his elf eyes to see where they were taking the hobbits (to Isengard).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think it's just that Tolkien elves had very good senses, like sight or hearing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tenebrais posted:

Legolas could use his elf eyes to see where they were taking the hobbits (to Isengard).

But can he see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
pretty sure it's just "elfs have keen senses and would notice someone sneaking up on them even if they weren't actively on guard" that had a silly interaction with another rule

If I remember my 3e, every character is always making passive search checks, which are limited in what they can uncover, but lets the GM roll for, say, noticing a narrow passageway or an NPC trying to approach unseen. One specific limitation is that you can't spot secret doors without an active search check, but elves get the elf awareness feat, which makes their passive search checks as good as anyone else's active search checks, so they are the only creature in the multiverse that can spot a secret door by chance.

or are passive search checks not a thing, and those are just plain old spot/listen checks? eh, something along those lines

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nah, it's pre-3E. I wanna say this is AD&D rules, elves have a special mechanic (not associated with the thief's percentile skill system) where they can roll dice to discover secret doors.

It's a weird one especially because the only other mechanic for spotting things is the thief's Find Traps percentile skill. You were presumably meant to work your way through a dungeon by having an elf and a thief trade off peering at things, with all the gaps in that equation filled in by grilling the DM and prodding the flagstones with a ten foot pole.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Elves being good at finding doors is from original D&D. It's trickled down into various mechanical implementations from that point on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love "of course the DM can just make things harder"

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Colonel Cool posted:

Elves being good at finding doors is from original D&D. It's trickled down into various mechanical implementations from that point on.

Remember that waaaay back in the original D&D there was no distinction between race and class. Your choices were fighter, mage, cleric, thief, elf, and dwarf.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It always should have been Dwarves that could detect secret doors. They are the stonework experts and craftsmen who can instantly tell you what the incline of any floor is.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It always should have been Dwarves that could detect secret doors. They are the stonework experts and craftsmen who can instantly tell you what the incline of any floor is.

They did get a bonus to it for doors that were stone.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'd also maybe give a Watsonian explanation of well actually, all Dungeons were originally Elven fortresses lost long ago in the war against Evil, the passive bonus for secret doors is just them remembering that a secret door was there.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ikanreed posted:

They did get a bonus to it for doors that were stone.

If I recall correctly, it was all stonework that Dwarves got a bonus too. So they could tell if they were going up or down, if it was new, all that kind of stuff and stone doors just got lumped in with it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Android Blues posted:

Nah, it's pre-3E.

Colonel Cool posted:

Huh, I had no idea! In that case, :shrug:, I guess Gygax and friends lost their thief somewhere in a proto-adventure where the GM was planning on them finding a secret door, and decided that, ok, elfs have a different mechanism for detecting hidden doors, because we happen to have an elf that's still kickin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's just what their elf eyes see.