Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can I just use a bonfire ascetic at McDuffs workshop to buy a second uchigatana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

My gut and google say no, but I've never actually tried it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've done a Caestus/Fist only run before the Bone Fist came out and it was really fun.. Is a Bone Fist run even more fun due to the insane wacky moveset or is it more of a PvP weapon? It's also a shame you have to be so high level/far in the game to even get and use them, so I'm almost tempted to try out a Cheat Engine'd run where I have them from the get-go.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Your Computer posted:

I've done a Caestus/Fist only run before the Bone Fist came out and it was really fun.. Is a Bone Fist run even more fun due to the insane wacky moveset or is it more of a PvP weapon? It's also a shame you have to be so high level/far in the game to even get and use them, so I'm almost tempted to try out a Cheat Engine'd run where I have them from the get-go.
Bone Fist will be a nice bit of variety after all the punch-punches, and its Hadoken is just orgasmic. The entire moveset is really cool. It's slower, but very rewarding to get good at.

As it is slower, actually the Caesti are the better PvP weapons, so don't sweat it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've got a +4 warped sword and a +1- uchigatana since i did a load of bellbros/cheat engine to save time. What are some other good weapons to use until I can get the warped sword powerstance move set? I'm at the second earthen peak/shaded woods bonfires. I want the puzzling stone sword but I need to get into the DLC for that. Anything that is good 2 handed with 15 str/25 dex since the damage boost from the weapons I'm using isn't great. Would be nice to have a weapon get a proper damage boost from going 2h

Should I bonfire ascetic no mans wharf and run it again for the arced sword and level for that?

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 5, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Why have all my summon attempts failed on PS4? I put down my summon sign right outside the smelter demon fight, I get the I'm being summoned message, then it times out. Says Couldn't join multiplayer.

It's very annoying because I only need 4 more medals to get the sun sword :mad:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

meant to edit not quote

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So was there a purpose to fighting the Smelter Demon in Iron Keep? It looks like it led up to a bonfire and then back to the main path.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

You can't get to the Smelter's bonfire without going through Smelter.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

aegof posted:

You can't get to the Smelter's bonfire without going through Smelter.

So it was completely optional. Whoo.

The lava-trap funhouse is great! I just lure all of them through fire or dunk them in lava.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
Going back into Smelter's room after getting the bonfire has a pretty nice thing in it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah that was a really cool reward.

How have you been doing on secret walls?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They've picked odd places to add enemies in SotFS and loving earthen peak

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

pyromance posted:

Going back into Smelter's room after getting the bonfire has a pretty nice thing in it.

"REMEMBER ME! HEY WASN'T I A COOL GIMMICK LIKE HOURS AND HOURS AGO!"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Golden Goat posted:

"REMEMBER ME! HEY WASN'T I A COOL GIMMICK LIKE HOURS AND HOURS AGO!"
Keep in mind that his frequent appearances are completely new to Scholar, originally he was a bossfight and then AGES later he'd cameo again randomly somewhere else.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Keep in mind that his frequent appearances are completely new to Scholar, originally he was a bossfight and then AGES later he'd cameo again randomly somewhere else.

That doesn't make me feel any better about it.

I would have been fine if they just cut down the number of them in the Lost Bastille to one appearance, then it would be neet.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wish the Pursuer showed up 10 more times throughout the game, he's a delight to fight :colbert:

though maybe I just think that because it's the only fight in the game I can consistently do without getting hit

Speaking of, I just started a new fist-only run (I'll probably just CE in the Bone Fist once I get the stats for it) and it's such a blast when you know what you're doing. I ran straight through the Forest of Fallen Giants (killing the Pursuer on the surprise visit) on to the Bastille, took out the Ruin Sentinels and went down to the Sinner... all without dying a single time. It feels so good when you finally git gud at this game. Now if only I could git gud at the DLCs...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i always get hit by the curse attack if i'm not out of range for it because it takes so much longer than all the rest

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I need a place to farm small titanite shards.

I got the sun sword, and I'm not impressed :( It's a long sword, with no bonuses on it. I put a boltstone on it and got it to +2, but I can't go higher than that. Because I'm an idiot, I bought out all of the titanite from the Far Fire blacksmith to upgrade armor.

Is the sun sword worth the effort and time, or should I stick to my +8 lightning heide spear?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I need a place to farm small titanite shards.

I got the sun sword, and I'm not impressed :( It's a long sword, with no bonuses on it. I put a boltstone on it and got it to +2, but I can't go higher than that. Because I'm an idiot, I bought out all of the titanite from the Far Fire blacksmith to upgrade armor.

Is the sun sword worth the effort and time, or should I stick to my +8 lightning heide spear?

The Sun Sword needs to be physical only. Its value comes from its A/A physical scaling so it absolutely sucks as an elemental weapon.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 5, 2016

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

double nine posted:

do co-op on the boss. You can get about 4 loyce souls per run which is far quicker than if you farm the area yourself.

Yeah. I meant as a summon before killing the ivory king I was getting a lot more drops than as a summon afterwards.

Anyway, I got it finally an hour or so after that post. It's unfortunate that the armor is ugly.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I've been playing around with the Majestic Greatsword and it's a lot of fun. A shame the stat requirements are so weird, needing hefty (well, heftyish) intelligence and faith but not seemingly benefiting from them at all. What would be the ideal weapon to powerstance it with? I've been trying it with the Fume Sword and that seems alright since it gives a good mix of fast and heavy attacks between the two, but I'm certainly open to trying other combos.

I was deeply disappointed when I found out fume sword and fume ultra greatsword could not be powerstanced. Seems like a missed opportunity for a special Fume Knight moveset.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

That doesn't make me feel any better about it.

I would have been fine if they just cut down the number of them in the Lost Bastille to one appearance, then it would be neet.

the fucker's everywhere in the bastille but then that's kind of it, he just drops off after that. but then you also have the forlorn? I don't really get why they double dipped on that gimmick

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How do the raw and mundane infusions work? Does fire scale off anything?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jose posted:

Raw increases base damage and tanks scaling. Mundane decreases base damage and base scaling, but adds scaling based off your lowest stat. Fire decreases base scaling but adds scaling based off your Intelligence and Faith.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jose posted:

Raw tanks your scaling in favor of increased base damage, making it good for items with very little (or no scaling) and some really weird outlier items (I wanna say Blue Flame is one of them?). Mundane scales off of your lowest stat (so, if you have 10 vig and 50 everything else, it scales off vig); it's also largely useless now.

Fire scales off the average of your int and faith.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Alabaster White posted:

The Sun Sword needs to be physical only. Its value comes from its A/A physical scaling so it absolutely sucks as an elemental weapon.

Welp.

I have 5 palestones, so I'll fix that quickly and make it physical again.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

King of Solomon posted:

Raw tanks your scaling in favor of increased base damage, making it good for items with very little (or no scaling) and some really weird outlier items (I wanna say Blue Flame is one of them?).

Blue Flame is definitely one of them. It's flat-out better than the normal version, and while the magic damage isn't quite as high as a Magic Blue Flame's, the Magic version loses a huge amount of its physical damage, leaving the Raw version far superior for actually hitting things while only lagging a bit behind on spell damage.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

So I finished my SL1 all-bosses run. Lud and Zallen were the last real boss I had to fight. About 40 attempts in and I finally managed to kill Lud. Things were going pretty well until my weapon almost broke. I am bad at menuing, watch my butthole clench.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
The Gutter is Blighttown 2.0 and I hate it. Where do I go? I see a fog gate but I can't find the right ladder or whatever to get to it. Do I need to be here after I beat the Old Iron King?

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The Gutter is Blighttown 2.0 and I hate it. Where do I go? I see a fog gate but I can't find the right ladder or whatever to get to it. Do I need to be here after I beat the Old Iron King?

The fog gate is the right way to go. If you want a vague-but-spoilery route through, the general path I find easiest is basically cross both of the big rope bridges; the first goes right and the second goes left (described as if you were at the first bonfire looking towards the fog gate). The second bridge leads you to a ledge on the left edge of the cavern, jump down from that to reach the fog gate. Break through the opposite side of the wooden structure to reach a bonfire. There's no prerequisites or anything for the four great soul areas, so feel free to do whatever.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

the gutter is way more manageable than blighttown, unless you have like zero torches i guess

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's pretty easy to walk into Bluttertown with only a few minutes worth of torches. However, if you at least do one pass to wipe out most or all of the shambling zombies, you should have at least 60 minutes worth of torches by the time you get to the Black Gulch bonfire.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
some guy invaded me in FoFG. he wasn't showing up after a while, and then suddenly i was getting backstabbed and teleported onto one of the ramparts that you can't get to.

i managed to kill him (odd hacks, just teleporting people?) but then fell through the world and died. gently caress that guy.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

the gutter's biggest challenge is the lack of visibility. almost all of the monsters are boring hollows (except for 2 mutant dogs and a suicide zombie like in lost bastille). if you could see the entire place at a regular light level, i don't think there'd even be a challenge to it. there's not any ranged enemies at all (outside the statues which are more of a hazard) which makes it already 1000x better than blight town with the loving toxic snipers and infinitely respawning mosquitoes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I'm doing my Bone Fist run now, and while the power stanced moveset is way :krad: it seems like two-handing the fist is your best bet in PvE when it comes to.. pretty much everything. Even with the Stone Ring the power stanced moveset just isn't staggering enemies enough to get combos off, while the two-handed moveset staggers on the first attack and then just stunlocks pretty much anything. It's also a beast against bosses since the R2 deals crazy amounts of damage, while the power stanced attacks take so long you're just asking to get hit.

Of course, the hadouken has plenty of uses and I use that as much as I can :swoon:

e: the two-handed R2 did a friggin quarter of Mytha's health :magical:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 6, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hell, The Gutter, once completely lit, is even kind of cool because you start on a pitch black area and you end having a sight with lots of "buildings" and paths to follow. Blighttown is a shitfest with poo poo enemies like said mosquitoes and the whole poison swamp with a big hidden zone called the great hollow wich is even worse. Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak are worse to me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, I wish the Bone Fist was available earlier in the game. I'd use it all the drat time. The two-handed R2 should-slam-into-uppercut did short work of the Old Iron King in just three attacks :getin:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I never played DS1, but I liked the Gutter a lot more than I thought I would during my run. Even if I did lose the most bloodstain souls in it. (15k, don't talk to me about Souls platforming :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The Gutter is a good area.