Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
ZhanGuo is very bad and is in fact one of the baddest games available that uses all of the Good Mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Countblanc posted:

The entire reason I'm interested in the game is specifically because the mechanics of the game are incredibly exciting to me. Obviously I'd be less enchanted if there were only components to play 10 missions or whatever, but the grandiose nature of the game is second to how much fun I had playing the first session just on combat mechanics alone.

Doing an exhaustive amount of research and then, after much deliberation, landing on the wrong conclusion is Quinn's M.O. at this point. He and Paul need to split their duties between heavier and lighter games more cleanly - Quinn just doesn't have the right perspective to understand why something heavier than Castles of Burgundy is good or bad. He can sell games he likes and trash those he doesn't, but he doesn't really have a clear method of engagement - he just likes or dislikes them. (You can see this most apparently when he talks about how something 'feels' in a game rather than how it works.)

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Doing an exhaustive amount of research and then, after much deliberation, landing on the wrong conclusion is Quinn's M.O. at this point.

Is it the wrong conclusion though? Would people care this much about Gloomhaven over Mage Knight if it had ten short scenarios (like the D&D Adventures games) that weren't interconnected?

I'm sure it'd be successful, but it wouldn't be the big deal that it is now.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Someone talk me out of kickstarting Brass Lancenshire and Birmingham

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
The KS is up for those???

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

the panacea posted:

Someone talk me out of kickstarting Brass Lancenshire and Birmingham

Roxley titles are always available at CSI/MM a month or so after the KS backers get the games at a 30% discount to MSRP.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
We played 1822 on Saturday. One player screwed up a rule (or at least I think he did, his interpretation of a rule was totally overpowered) and another player put back a train that should have left the game, which screwed up the train rush. We conceded the game after nearly 8 hours of play, but 1822 is a very long game so the length of it wasn't a surprise. I came last by a huge percentage but that was because I didn't examine the board well enough. I like 1822 but I don't understand the balance with the destinations, some are easy to get and pay a lot while others are difficult to get and on top of that don't pay much. I guess the designer assumed people could see that (which they can but I hate AP'ing over stuff like that) and deliberately unbalanced them to give more interaction. Hopefully we'll play again soon properly and maybe I'll come in second next time :).

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Countblanc posted:

SU&SD mentioned Gloomhaven in their news writeup today, and I was sorta baffled by Quinn's comment:

Eh, it's Quinns. Dungeon crawls are most definitely not his kind of game. I wonder if he's actually played, because if he was going to like any dungeon crawler, Gloomhaven would be the prime candidate. You can seriously hand someone their cards, explain the basics of combat in 5 minutes and immediately start playing. This is no exaggeration, I've done that multiple times now.

The fact that Gloomhaven is obscenely huge in scope is also quite impressive but ultimately secondary to the mechanics.

deadwing posted:

Is it the wrong conclusion though? Would people care this much about Gloomhaven over Mage Knight if it had ten short scenarios (like the D&D Adventures games) that weren't interconnected?

I'm sure it'd be successful, but it wouldn't be the big deal that it is now.

Would people care as much about anything if it was a worse version of itself? Probably not, but that's a worthless conclusion.

Quinns seems to be implying that Gloomhaven is only good because of it's size, and not it's gameplay mechanisms, which I would say is definitely a wrong conclusion. Gloomhaven blows all other dungeon crawls out of the water.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Ojetor posted:

Eh, it's Quinns. Dungeon crawls are most definitely not his kind of game. I wonder if he's actually played, because if he was going to like any dungeon crawler, Gloomhaven would be the prime candidate. You can seriously hand someone their cards, explain the basics of combat in 5 minutes and immediately start playing. This is no exaggeration, I've done that multiple times now.

The fact that Gloomhaven is obscenely huge in scope is also quite impressive but ultimately secondary to the mechanics.

Would people care as much about anything if it was a worse version of itself? Probably not, but that's a worthless conclusion.

Quinns seems to be implying that Gloomhaven is only good because of it's size, and not it's gameplay mechanisms, which I would say is definitely a wrong conclusion. Gloomhaven blows all other dungeon crawls out of the water.

I thought the SU&SD guys had a major hard-on for Descent? I could've swore I watched a video (maybe a re-upload of older stuff) where they were gushing about it. Warrior Knights, maybe?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Quinns says something hilariously boneheaded at least as often as he says something clever and thoughtful. What else is new?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
While I don't disagree with the Quinns Criticisms (Quinnicisms???), I was actually willing to take his claim at face value and was more curious who all these megafans he talked to were who are like "yeah, uh game isn't great, but there's 90+ sessions of not-great-game so who cares".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, I'm also baffled by the logic of "this game's not very good, but there's so much of it!"

Like, doesn't that apply to Munchkin too?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I know people who completely believe in more content = more better, but again, it doesn't really apply to Gloomhaven when the actual gameplay is as good as it is.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sure, I know people who balk at the idea that Tragedy Looper and Legacy games have "limited" content.

But again, most games have "infinite" replayability, so I don't understand why "this game has so much content" is a selling point.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

I thought the SU&SD guys had a major hard-on for Descent? I could've swore I watched a video (maybe a re-upload of older stuff) where they were gushing about it. Warrior Knights, maybe?

Yeah, they are super into Descent. I think they prefer 1st edition, too.

I'm honestly most surprised that none of the crew have played Gloomhaven, yet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, they are super into Descent. I think they prefer 1st edition, too.

To be fair, having played both 1E and 2E, I vastly prefer the combat mechanics from 1E. There are parts that 2E do better, but the combat's pretty bad.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hmm, I missed this:

quote:

Now, with the launching of this second Kickstarter two weeks ago, the editorial staff of Shut Up & Sit Down had an option. We could have borrowed a copy of Gloomhaven and squeaked a review into our timetable before this second Kickstarter ended, just like we did with our Kingdom Death review. But ultimately, we decided not to, for reasons I’ll probably go into in the next donor newsletter.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

Sure, I know people who balk at the idea that Tragedy Looper and Legacy games have "limited" content.

But again, most games have "infinite" replayability, so I don't understand why "this game has so much content" is a selling point.

Tragedy Looper has a few example scenarios, its meant for you to design your own. Saying it has limited content is like saying D&D has limited content because there is only one example dungeon in the book. The Legacy games on the other hand are designed to only be played once, which is a waste frankly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rutibex posted:

Tragedy Looper has a few example scenarios, its meant for you to design your own. Saying it has limited content is like saying D&D has limited content because there is only one example dungeon in the book. The Legacy games on the other hand are designed to only be played once, which is a waste frankly.

It's fine though. The legacy games, when played to their full extent, would have received more play than what many people here admit for their most beloved games. The fact that the BGG 10x10 challenge is a thing is proof of that. Ten plays! Ten plays is a challenge for a lot of people. :psyduck:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
RE: SU&SD and Gloomhaven, I am chalking his statement up to their strange and vaguely adversarial stance toward KS in general. They just seem to have this bias going into any game that starts as a KS project that it's going to be over-hyped and bloated with extraneous components (which, sure, is probably true more than half the time), that I think it would be a real uphill battle for them to play a game like Gloomhaven and come away with an impression better than "oh, not so bad for an over-hyped and bloated game with extraneous components!"

Meanwhile, "oh hey back our Monikers expansion on KS guys!"

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 17, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chill la Chill posted:

It's fine though. The legacy games, when played to their full extent, would have received more play than what many people here admit for their most beloved games. The fact that the BGG 10x10 challenge is a thing is proof of that. Ten plays! Ten plays is a challenge for a lot of people. :psyduck:

Its not fine though! A board game, if properly maintained, can last longer than the life span of its owner. Even if those games are played rarely, it is doubtful they will simply be thrown in the trash at any point. I have raided my grandparents attic for old board games from the 70s, and picked up all sorts of things at garage sales. A disposable game ensures that it will never be played again

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm sure my friends and I will get together and play on our risk legacy Dickboard TM (it looks like Superbad Seth's notebook) in 10 years, but your mileage may vary. Heck, we even said whoever makes it big in their career gets to display it in their office.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

rchandra posted:

Blitz is fun to save time, as are the variety of competitive scenarios.

Lost Legion is great to pick up ASAP, just to enlarge the spell/AA/Artefact decks and give the heroes their co-op skills and extra different card. Add the units/monsters when you feel comfortable and/or find things too predictable. The big Volkare scenarios are OK, I still prefer Conquest. Krang/Tezla are basically for completionists only - do look into Tezla's rulebook, as it has a short scenario that doesn't need any Tezla components.

You're correct on the fortified site assaults (unfortified like dungeon/tomb/ruin you just move onto and then fight on the same or later turn, you don't get pushed out).

Alright, co-op skills would be a nice bonus for sure. I think we're very heavily under-utilizing spells in general at the moment, have to work on our overall strategy in general now that we're getting the rules down fairly well.
We also completely missed the rule about alternating Advanced units once you reveal a core tile, so there's that. :v:

Seriously tempted to KS that Gloomhaven reprint as well, game looks cool as heck. :shepspends:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Mikey Purp posted:

RE: SU&SD and Gloomhaven, I am chalking his statement up to their strange and vaguely adversarial stance toward KS in general. They just seem to have this bias going into any game that starts as a KS project that it's going to be over-hyped and bloated with extraneous components (which, sure, is probably true more than half the time), that I think it would be a real uphill battle for them to play a game like Gloomhaven and come away with an impression better than "oh, not so bad for an over-hyped and bloated game with extraneous components!"

Meanwhile, "oh hey back our Monikers expansion on KS guys!"

In the same post he mentions this, though:

quote:

Quinns: Backed! I literally back games like these just to read them and luxuriate in all of the ideas within, just as if I was sinking into a bubble bath. Being able to then actually play them from time to time is a delicious bonus.

I think it's wildly successful kickstarters that they seem apprehensive of.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Been a while since I've posted, and I've even played some games to boot!

The Battle at Kemble's Cascade - The premise of this game is that everyone is playing a vertical scrolling shmup like Galage or 1942. There are 5 'trays' onto which you place cards that feature enemies, obstacles, health, powerups, or empty space. You move around and kill things on the board created by the tray and the cards trying to kill things and each other to get points and currency. At the end of each round, the bottom tray is moved above the rest of the trays, new cards are placed on the tray that was just moved, and all of the players ships that were on that row bump down. The turn order is determined by choosing an initiative card from the two that you are dealt, ranging from 10-400. On the player's turn, you choose to either attack or rest. If you attack, you can move around and shoot things; you get one move and one shot per turn, and you can expend health to gain an additional shot or move. If you choose to rest, you gain two health and the ability to shop for new weapons and upgrades. You get points by completing a secret objective dealt to each player at the beginning of the game, global objectives, some generated enemies, and having another player die (especially if you have current damage on said player). The game handles damage in a unique way that took me way too long to grok, but it's essentially the way that Baseball Highlights 2045 determines base running. If you are supposed to get shot, you gain a resource called threat. Threat from the current turn is resolved the next turn, so you have a chance to deal with it. You reduce threat 1 space for every space that you move, and then you lose life equal to the amount of threat that you have. The only time you immediately take damage in the game is when you collide with something. While the premise was cool, I had a few issues with it.

- The initiative cards are too variable. They are dealt at random, and you have no chance to filter them. If you're dealt a 10 and a 130, you cannot possibly go before a player who was dealt a 150 and a 240.
- The secret objectives and powerups seem terribly unbalanced. I had an objective to end 4 turns at 1 life (btw there is no way to actually track this so you have to depend on the honor system) that was worth 4 points. The easiest way for me to do this was to sit in the corner of the board, not really advancing my game state at all. One opponent had an objective that could be fulfilled multiple times for 3 points each time to destroy asteroids. This netted him like 9-12 points, gave him incentive to interact with the board in a way that no other player intrinsically had, and it pushed him toward a competitive game state by encouraging him to buy a laser. Those two are not on the same level. The only other objective I explicitly remember was moving 3 spaces 3-4 turns, which again is pushing you toward interactive game play and upgrades. I could have ignored the mission, but I had no frame of reference for the difficulty and quality of the missions. The power ups were similar. I had a power up that gave me two points if I were next to a black hole (black holes automatically kill you if you collide with them). Other players got extra moves and double damage. Maybe I just got raw deals, but even so that is an issue.
- The game encourages ganging up on the weakest player. If a player dies, each opponent gets two points, plus one point for each current threat placed on the player (placed from shooting at the player). If a player doesn't have the upgrades to compete, or is near death, the quickest way to get points is to fire everything into that player. This is behind the global achievements, or maybe even ahead, in methods to score.
- The game took about 5 turns too long to play. Part of this is colored by 3 of the other 4 players taking forever to take their turns and not thinking on other players' turns, but the victor was already decided about 4-5 turns before the end of the game. Runaway leader and all of that. In the game's defense, one of the players was a man child as soon as he wasn't in the lead (literally slamming pieces down on the table and was unrepentant when the owner asked him to treat the game with more care), so he was unengaged. Also, the game shares the same issue as Five Tribes where the board will change entirely before you can take your turn, so you have limited ability to think about your turn proactively.

I wouldn't play it again, but I applaud it for what it tried to accomplish and the conveyance of theme.

Gloomhaven - A goon (his alt handle was crispymartyr) was generous enough to teach a buddy of mine and I the intro scenario on TTS. I really wanted to like this game, but I just couldn't. I enjoyed the combat and the roles each class can play up...up until the damage modifier deck. The teacher assured me the deck changes a lot though leveling up, but my criteria of a game is having my choices matter. Having a -2 on my attack (I was playing Tinkerer) and ensuring I did not damage was just really dumb and should be taken out of the game imo. Also, I wasn't fond of how many enemies there were . The first room had 6 guards for a 3 player game, and the other two rooms had something like 6 enemies each as well. The game was easy enough to learn, and had promise, but I am neither a dungeon crawler nor a tabletop RPG player so the idea of event cards has a negative effect on me. Let's be honest: I barely get to play games anymore, so a game whose selling point is years of content is kind of moot for me. I'm also thankful I don't have to deal with the set up, tear down, and organization of that beast of a box.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

!Klams posted:

We played a few games of Scythe and it went down a storm. The second game was a bit of a stomp, one player won with 85 points having placed 6 stars, and the next highest was less than half of that with only 3 stars, but in retrospect, I'm 90% sure he'd misunderstood some rule, because I never managed to get an upgrade star, despite gunning for it almost exclusively with the 'industry' board, while he managed to get all of the player card-completionesque stars? Thinking about it, is that even physically possible? Difficult to pay attention to another 6 players though. Maybe he just hit perfect events? Of note he was Rusviet, and I was Albion, I don't know what his player board was.

Did they get a factory card that let them do a bottom-row action? That can accelerate.

Also the Rus can just do the same action over and over. If they had a resource-gen action like produce or trade in column 1, they could get a pretty good stockpile built while upgrading.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

Gloomhaven - A goon (his alt handle was crispymartyr) was generous enough to teach a buddy of mine and I the intro scenario on TTS. I really wanted to like this game, but I just couldn't. I enjoyed the combat and the roles each class can play up...up until the damage modifier deck. The teacher assured me the deck changes a lot though leveling up, but my criteria of a game is having my choices matter. Having a -2 on my attack (I was playing Tinkerer) and ensuring I did not damage was just really dumb and should be taken out of the game imo. Also, I wasn't fond of how many enemies there were . The first room had 6 guards for a 3 player game, and the other two rooms had something like 6 enemies each as well. The game was easy enough to learn, and had promise, but I am neither a dungeon crawler nor a tabletop RPG player so the idea of event cards has a negative effect on me. Let's be honest: I barely get to play games anymore, so a game whose selling point is years of content is kind of moot for me. I'm also thankful I don't have to deal with the set up, tear down, and organization of that beast of a box.

While I think many games, especially in the genre, go too heavy on randomness, it would be a big change to remove/nerf the modifier deck. To be clear, you can change your modifer deck over time, with options dependent on character, but you'll always retain the possibility of flat-out missing - and while I don't generally like "post-decision randomness", I don't think it's a mistake at all here. It's overshooting by quite a bit to suggest your choices don't matter because you missed once (on, in this case, a low damage attack): GH is a reasonably high-skill game that will punish you for poor decisions (and especially for bad strategy), while, on the flip side, luck will generally even out over the course of a mission (which will normally see you flipping many modifier cards).

That's not to say you couldn't make a low-randomness Gloomhaven. You could take the modifier deck out, move to fully open communication, maybe even have the monster decks flip first, and play it out as a more deterministic puzzle. I kind of like this idea in abstract, but I think it'd be a slog in practice. As it stands, you can't really have conversations like "if you do 6 damage, I can do 3 to these 2 to finish off him, and then this other guy will end up in this spot, then..." - and that's for the best. It keeps the game moving briskly (especially important at 3 or 4 players), keeps your communication on an appropriate level thematically, and rewards some flexibility in planning.

In terms of the mission having lots of enemies.. well, there's a lot of different missions. Some have more than I like (especially f'ing Oozes). Some have very few. Having variety is good, as it rewards different tactics and setups on different missions.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 17, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've played the TTS scenario about 5 times now and after the first group I've offered the nerfed modifier deck as an option (turn the x0 and x2 cards into +0). People seem to prefer that, or at least prefer the idea of it since I guess I'm the only person who has tried both.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Shadow225 posted:

He set up the scenario wrong. Should have been 6, 4, and 4. But yeah, the game is a superior dungeon crawler. If you don't want to play a dungeon crawler, the best dungeon crawler around is still unlikely to change that preference.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Countblanc posted:

I've played the TTS scenario about 5 times now and after the first group I've offered the nerfed modifier deck as an option (turn the x0 and x2 cards into +0). People seem to prefer that, or at least prefer the idea of it since I guess I'm the only person who has tried both.

If you've played on TTS make sure to check out the official mini-campaign scenarios uploaded there with Isaac's blessing.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Looking at the Brass Kickstarter I'm definitely interested in the reprint of original, but I'm wondering what the chances are the sequel will actually improve on the original. I'm guessing slim.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SilverMike posted:

If you've played on TTS make sure to check out the official mini-campaign scenarios uploaded there with Isaac's blessing.

Do you mean the Kickstarter ones? Or are there others?

EBag
May 18, 2006

I'm thinking of just getting both, I haven't played Brass before but it seems like my kind of game and I don't know which one I'd like better. Figure I'd try them both and if we like one significantly more than the other I can sell it to recoup most of the cost. I definitely prefer the aesthetics of Birmingham though and tend to prefer games with variable setup.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

FulsomFrank posted:

They're really into Descent, Imperial Assault, and especially the new Conan game. As I recall they were lukewarm on Warrior Knights.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Going to play my first game of Great Western Trail as a learning game with my roommate tonight. Anything I should watch for rules-wise, or specific to two-player games?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Megasabin posted:

Looking at the Brass Kickstarter I'm definitely interested in the reprint of original, but I'm wondering what the chances are the sequel will actually improve on the original. I'm guessing slim.

For what it's worth, here's what they had to say about Wallace's involvement:

quote:

Martin created the initial board layout and industries in the game. Myself and Matt then took the base and grew it into what it has become today. Matt and I's contributions ended up being beyond the scope of merely "development". So the 3 of us agreed that it should become a codesign. From a game design perspective, our contributions to the project are equal with the obvious caveat that the game is based on Martin's incredible core system.

I got both because with shipping, getting only one would definitely be a "wait and CSI" sort of thing, whereas both of them at once I would imagine would be comparable to CSI's prices. Plus Roxley makes good games.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Brass is a beautiful looking game in either edition, but I am hoping for some play throughs of the newest edition.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
going to stream FCM on twitch https://www.twitch.tv/systranerror/ in like 2 minutes.

I'm misplaying SO BAD in the last three games I did, so I expect those misplays to continue.

Only reason I'm doing this on twitch is so I can move to Youtube with minimal hassle later

edit: I will also be having 0 interaction with any chat, not even reading it

edit 2: looks like the stream hosed up and didn't work anyway...

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 18, 2017

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

For what it's worth, here's what they had to say about Wallace's involvement:

I got both because with shipping, getting only one would definitely be a "wait and CSI" sort of thing, whereas both of them at once I would imagine would be comparable to CSI's prices. Plus Roxley makes good games.

Same. I've yet to be disappointed with a Roxley game, either on the rules side or on the components side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Countblanc posted:

Do you mean the Kickstarter ones? Or are there others?

Just the KS ones, any others are being kept private so far.