Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Voyages of Marco Polo is getting reprinted in October, along with an expansion. The bad news is that Z-Man is still doing it.

Oh Tragedy Looper expansions :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any opinions here on legendary encounters: Aliens? Played a round of sentinels of the multiverse and it was a pretty solid drunk coop game, but the art/theme was pretty rough

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I've been out of the boardgame loop for a bit now. Anything cool and medium/light weight come out in the past year or two? I'm eyeing Pandemic Legacy, because I think it can be played with just two people? Ideally I'd get games with quickish playtimes and adaptable playercounts (anywhere between 2 -6 or whatever). I like Space Alert a lot.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

w00tmonger posted:

Any opinions here on legendary encounters: Aliens? Played a round of sentinels of the multiverse and it was a pretty solid drunk coop game, but the art/theme was pretty rough

Legendary Encounters is great. Probably the best introductory deckbuilder.

As for Sentinels, expect the charm to decline with each subsequent play through. It's a turd.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Stan Taylor posted:

I've been out of the boardgame loop for a bit now. Anything cool and medium/light weight come out in the past year or two? I'm eyeing Pandemic Legacy, because I think it can be played with just two people? Ideally I'd get games with quickish playtimes and adaptable playercounts (anywhere between 2 -6 or whatever). I like Space Alert a lot.

Pandemic Legacy is good. It sounds like Captain Sonar ticks all your boxes: medium-weight at best, quick plays, and a reasonably flexible playercount(4-6-8). It's very Space Alert.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
When it comes to Gloomhaven the two big rules I've seen a number of people botch/get confused on are 1). misreading how to set the difficulty level for encounters and consequently setting it way too high and 2). that the "x0" modifier card isn't a critical miss ala D&D, it means your attack does no damage but any other effects like statuses or knockback or creating elements still happen.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Stan Taylor posted:

Codenames is definitely worth a look.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Stan Taylor posted:

If you like the "everything going to poo poo around you in real time while a CD tells you you're all hosed and your team-mates start screaming at you for help but its too late and it's all done in ten minutes" aspect of space alert, less the planning aspect of it, "Escape: the curse of the temple" (or as the guy on the CD calls it, rear end-CAVE) is really fun.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 19, 2017

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Radioactive Toy posted:

Taught Star Wars: Rebellion last week and barely eked out a win as the rebels due to a misplay by the imperials on the second to last turn. Pretty fun game but I have a real hard time grasping strategy on either side for this game. Any strategy tips for this one? Going to be playing it again later this week.

General - missions for leaders have a skill requirement, don't forget that. You can commit 2 leaders to one mission if you really want it to go through, conversely, don't commit all your leaders to missions, you still need to move troops around. If you can bait leaders into a system, it means your opponent can't move troops out of that system. You can only roll a maximum of 10 dice for any check/opposed roll.

For imperials - anything that doesn't help you search is a distraction. If you have the option between developing a project and searching another planet, search the planet. Get probe cards. The more probe cards you hold, the less choice the rebels have when the relocate their base. You can strand rebels on a planet by destroying their transports, which can be strategically useful. You can lay capture traps for rebel leaders - get them into a system early and save your capture mission until the end of the phase, but only do so if you have something really cool to do with them, like get more probe cards or narrow down your search area. Rebel diplomats are more dangerous than you think.

For rebels - your first turn allows you to strike at a poorly-held imperial planet, possibly setting you up for some early objectives. Also, cycle through your objective deck to get to your tier 2 and 3 objectives ASAP - they are easier to achieve. Build Y-wings as a priority, they are more useful for most imperial targets. Most importantly, you can't beat the Imperials in a large-scale arms race. Win tactical engagements and delay their search, you want them bogged down defending their planets or doing fun, but unimportant missions instead of searching for you. You only need to run down the clock to win, they need to find and kill you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Also the Death Star's greatest strength is dropping loyalty on distant systems. No rebel player is going to let it get remotely close to them so don't think it'll ever win you the game. But by strategically blowing up planets you effectively rule out 2 systems, the one you blew up and the one that's now loyal.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Merauder posted:

Going to play my first game of Great Western Trail as a learning game with my roommate tonight. Anything I should watch for rules-wise, or specific to two-player games?

Trains can't occupy the same space. Leapfrog instead.

Make sure you're using the right movement tile. I think 2P is printed on the mat, so that's simple. Movement and tolls vary based on players.

The number of initial market cows is printed on the board, so that's not hard. So's the limit on workers per row.

When you fill the market, only fill the row with the X in it, and never buy from that row.

Player discs can share a city/station, the only rule is you can't double up on your own color. Except KC and San Fran.

You can voluntarily deliver to a city lower than what you qualified for, if you want to get a synergy bonus or save on shipping.

When you take the "draw and discard" auxiliary action, draw first, then discard.

I think that covers common hiccups I've seen.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I have an old copy of Agricola from the first printing back in 2009 or whenever it was - how significant are the balance changes that were made in more recent editions? Should I try to track down a copy of the new deck? Are there any other changes besides the cards?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tales of Woe posted:

I have an old copy of Agricola from the first printing back in 2009 or whenever it was - how significant are the balance changes that were made in more recent editions? Should I try to track down a copy of the new deck? Are there any other changes besides the cards?

Take one of the baggies of player pieces and one of the game boards and throw them in the trash too, to get the authentic experience.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tales of Woe posted:

They changed the graphics on the new version. The old version is still playable, but as you get to know the game and run into the unbalanced cards, you'll realize you have to draft. If you don't mind the game taking (even) longer, then keep your copy. If you want a set of balanced cards that are playable out of the box, then get the new one.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Lorini posted:

They changed the graphics on the new version. The old version is still playable, but as you get to know the game and run into the unbalanced cards, you'll realize you have to draft. If you don't mind the game taking (even) longer, then keep your copy. If you want a set of balanced cards that are playable out of the box, then get the new one.

Even the "balanced' cards need to be drafted; there's still a lot of difference in power and a lot of potential for synergy or duplication (plows are great overall, but you don't want 5 of them). Agricola is half a game without drafting, and it should only add 5 minutes or so. I mean, I guess maybe play once or twice without it (since you won't be able to draft right without knowing how to play anyway), but the game doesn't really work without it.

Drafting doesn't really help the broken cards (Wet Nurse, Lover, Taster, Chamberlain, etc..) though; they're just automatic first picks that completely distort the game by themselves, and there's no guarantee everyone will "open" one to balance out or something. They suck. But they're also a real easy problem to solve: just don't play with them. Or play with them once just to see how they work. I think it was a good decision to get rid of them in the new edition, since they wreck games where they show up, but it's obviously not hard to make this same change to an older copy (and I imagine most people who play Agricola much have banned them already).

VVV: I don't know of a good reason to lose the 5th player. 5 player is a slog with too much downtime (I've only played 5P a couple times, and I don't think I'd play it again), but it does work, and it doesn't require that many more components (a few more cards, one more set of pieces). Seems like a clear mistake to drop it.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 19, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

jmzero posted:

Even the "balanced' cards need to be drafted; there's still a lot of difference in power and a lot of potential for synergy or duplication (plows are great overall, but you don't want 5 of them). Agricola is half a game without drafting, and it should only add 5 minutes or so. I mean, I guess maybe play once or twice without it (since you won't be able to draft right without knowing how to play anyway), but the game doesn't really work without it.

Drafting doesn't really help the broken cards (Wet Nurse, Lover, Taster, Chamberlain, etc..) though; they're just automatic first picks that completely distort the game by themselves, and there's no guarantee everyone will "open" one to balance out or something. They suck. But they're also a real easy problem to solve: just don't play with them. Or play with them once just to see how they work. I think it was a good decision to get rid of them in the new edition, since they wreck games where they show up, but it's obviously not hard to make this same change to an older copy (and I imagine most people who play Agricola much have banned them already).

Huh. Now I wonder if there's some way to set rarities, and make the draft like magic where everyone will open one "rare", two "uncommons", and four "commons".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Was there a reason for taking out the 5th player? Is the box smaller/lighter than the original version?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

al-azad posted:

Was there a reason for taking out the 5th player? Is the box smaller/lighter than the original version?

So they could sell you an expansion.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

jmzero posted:

VVV: I don't know of a good reason to lose the 5th player. 5 player is a slog with too much downtime (I've only played 5P a couple times, and I don't think I'd play it again), but it does work, and it doesn't require that many more components (a few more cards, one more set of pieces). Seems like a clear mistake to drop it.

It looks like the cards that are banned from the online agricola sites are:
Ratcatcher
Taster
Chamberlain
Lover
Wet Nurse

So seems like I could just remove those and draft and things would work out okay? I'd probably just use the E deck anyway since I usually have new players, so that's just Ratcatcher to get rid of.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

So seems like I could just remove those and draft and things would work out okay? I'd probably just use the E deck anyway since I usually have new players, so that's just Ratcatcher to get rid of.

Yep, good plan. The only other E deck card I'd maybe leave out (at least to start) would be Axe.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Papes posted:

So they could sell you an expansion.

Agree. And we'll never know if a five player standard would have been more expensive than the four player standard that they released. However I never play Agricola with five so I didn't get the expansion.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

It looks like the cards that are banned from the online agricola sites are:
Ratcatcher
Taster
Chamberlain
Lover
Wet Nurse

If you haven't played it before you won't notice. If you've played it a ton then you may not change over anyway. I never like drafting on a first play because people don't know the cards but if you are playing with seasoned gamers they can probably work it out.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
If you don't want to draft, the deal 10 keep 7 variant is still better than just straight dealing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anyone available for an online Terra Mystica game using the app that's coming tomorrow? Here's a preview. I'm available Saturday after 1PM Pacific. I'll have the ios and Windows 10 versions. I don't know if they are cross compatible though. The app is going to be priced at $9.99. It would be nice if buying one version gets you all the versions but that was not mentioned. There will be ranked play. Only the 'easy' AI's will be available at launch but she said that the 'easy' AI beat her so that's probably where I'll stay :). I'm REALLY looking forward to this app release!!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

al-azad posted:

Because I'd imagine most people don't play Gric with five. The fact that I've paid for 7 players worth of bits with Caverna and will never play with more than 4 is kinda sad.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Papes posted:

If you don't want to draft, the deal 10 keep 7 variant is still better than just straight dealing.

When I've done this players complained about not being able to find the card they wanted to play in their hand (because they forget that they discarded it before the game started). You say "they should be expected to remember that" but remember that we got here because they couldn't handle a draft.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lorini posted:

Anyone available for an online Terra Mystica game using the app that's coming tomorrow? Here's a preview. I'm available Saturday after 1PM Pacific. I'll have the ios and Windows 10 versions. I don't know if they are cross compatible though. The app is going to be priced at $9.99. It would be nice if buying one version gets you all the versions but that was not mentioned. There will be ranked play. Only the 'easy' AI's will be available at launch but she said that the 'easy' AI beat her so that's probably where I'll stay :). I'm REALLY looking forward to this app release!!

I will probably get the game for Windows 10 cause I can't imagine playing TM on my phone screen. Don't really now if I will be available tomorrow but I can try.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just wish they would release the super deluxe 10,000 card edition of Agricola. The deal was, they were going to have a poo poo version for beginners and a super awesome version for real Gric fans. They managed to release the poo poo edition, but no super deluxe! :argh:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Just got a cheap copy of Twilight struggle!

Any tips so I do that gently caress up/get divorced?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

w00tmonger posted:

Just got a cheap copy of Twilight struggle!

Any tips so I do that gently caress up/get divorced?

When DEFCON reaches the second highest be prepared for people to be able to make you lose by forcing you to nuke the world.

Also, pay attention to which areas score and focus on them rather than diluting your OPs.

And finally, space race any card you think is too good for your opponent to ever have.

Aside from that I would just say enjoy the game and rest in knowing that you won't understand the power of most of the cards until you've played it a bunch of times. But you should do this because it's a great goddam game.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I wouldn't get your wife/husband to play Twilight Struggle with you unless you think they are "in" to the point that they will be interested in getting better, learning all the cards, and will want to play it multiple times of their own motivation.

As good as the game is, it is borderline unplayable as a "here is the game, here are the rules, let's play," unless the person you are throwing it on is invested and knows that it will be worth it in the long-term

al-azad
May 28, 2009

deadwing posted:

Because I'd imagine most people don't play Gric with five. The fact that I've paid for 7 players worth of bits with Caverna and will never play with more than 4 is kinda sad.

I always end up with 5 in my group and we lament how board games have moved away from that number. My attention has turned to older games (by which I mean a decade) and practically everything was designed for 5. FFG's reprint of Merchant of Venus was the first time I noticed companies axing a player.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

angel opportunity posted:

I wouldn't get your wife/husband to play Twilight Struggle with you unless you think they are "in" to the point that they will be interested in getting better, learning all the cards, and will want to play it multiple times of their own motivation.

As good as the game is, it is borderline unplayable as a "here is the game, here are the rules, let's play," unless the person you are throwing it on is invested and knows that it will be worth it in the long-term

Our current go to is Agricola so this shouldn't be too concerning. Good to know for sure though

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

w00tmonger posted:

Our current go to is Agricola so this shouldn't be too concerning. Good to know for sure though

To expand on this...I threw Twilight Struggle on my wife and it just flopped in a way that Agricola wouldn't.

In a game like Agricola, it quickly clicks what the core of the game is. You are placing workers, building up a farm, etc. Even if that is heavier than what people you throw it on are used to, that will click soon enough somewhere in the first game, even if it's toward the end of the game.

In TS, part of the core of the game is mitigating damage by playing opponent events when they are the least harmful to yourself. In order to do that in a way that it's satisfying, you have to know what all the cards are. This requires a lot of plays.

Placing influence in countries is another big thing, and you need to know what the cards are to place the influence intelligently.

You're not going to learn all the cards on the first play, and probably very little is going to "click" on the first play. It's going to feel almost arbitrary where you place influence. As a US player, why not place more in Canada? Why not move down early into South America and ignore Europe and Asia? Who knows? There just isn't enough starting out for the game to click naturally.

When I played with my wife, it was like...I hadn't played it either and we were both just more or less doing things at random with no rhyme or reason. I didn't know when to coup, when to re-align, when to just place influence. It would have required two people both into the idea of getting good at the game and getting over those initial humps. I don't think you can just brute force make someone play the game a lot because they have to really be making an effort to learn the cards and strategize a lot.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

One of our former posters wrote a great essay about those Loot Boxes.

https://theoutline.com/post/1356/the-relentless-consumerism-of-unboxing-videos

I know this is from a few pages ago, but what user wrote that? It's a pretty good, depressing article. Depressing mostly because I clicked this "most popular" video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSbQhw8ihMw

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have the Mayfair Agricola 5-6 player expansion. I've played with 6 people a few times, and it's fine, but for my group it's ultimately a "we've played Dominant Species many times recently so let's play a different 6-player game" choice.

Its main weakness is that the 5 and 6-player versions could use some mechanic to mitigate the influence that turn order can have. We've found that the winner is typically determined by seating order - the player sitting to the left of the weakest/newest player at the table will typically win. The first thing that comes to mind is that the game could go non-sequentially. The initial turn order could be determined by seating order, but then "Meeting Place" moves you to the front of that order. EG, if you have a table of 123456 and player 3 uses "meeting place" the turn order becomes 312456.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Kiranamos posted:

I know this is from a few pages ago, but what user wrote that? It's a pretty good, depressing article. Depressing mostly because I clicked this "most popular" video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSbQhw8ihMw

Lowenaffchen, mostly posted in FYAD.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Latest BGG News has some notes of interest for a variety of games that are well liked here.

New scenario for The Colonists: https://www.mayfairgames.com/gamesupport/colonists-imperial-post-solo-scenario

:words: on Vlaada's new party game

quote:

That's a Question, which is not the final title, is another party game from Chvátil, and the game takes the familiar format of challenging others with questions, then voting on what they'll say. In more detail, each player has a hand of hexagonal cards, with words or phrases in three color blocks on the card. On a turn, you choose a player that has a token in front of them, take that token, then present them with a question by choosing one of the three question prompts (which are all color-coded), then choosing two cards from your hand and adding the properly-colored section of those cards to the question. In the pic below, for example, the player has been presented with this question: "What would you miss more if it ceases to exist: Facebook or doors?" That player secretly votes on A or B, while everyone else but the questioner secretly votes A or B depending on how they think the person will answer; a voter can optionally add their 3x scoring token to their vote.

Once everyone votes, you reveal the tiles. Everyone who voted correctly moves ahead one or three spaces on the scoring track, and the questioner moves ahead one space for each person who voted incorrectly. If you pass a certain space on the scoring track, you retrieve your 3x token (if you've used it). Since you can ask a question only of those with a token in front of them, everyone is asked roughly the same number of questions, and whoever has the most points after a certain number of rounds wins.

Seems like sort of a more controlled game like Dixit or Apples to Apples? It doesn't sound terribly exciting, but whatever helps pay the bills.

In other Vlaada news:

quote:

—More leaders and wonders for Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization.
—A new player deck for Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends based on time travel.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kiranamos posted:

Why does this man have 900,000 subscribers? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hopefully http://boardgaming-online.com/ gets those Wonders and Leaders added soon, I'd like to try them in my semi-regular game we have going.