Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

thatguy posted:

If you're new I know you're going to read that and think it's just another ironic Goon post that couldn't possibly be true but you'll learn to kick that instinct shortly.

I… I really did think it was another ironic Goon post. But it really isn't.

Am I reading this right, that the artificial gravity mechanics were developed by some kind of crowd-consulting system?

no really this is real posted:

Wow. We are impressed! It looks like the topic of gravity really drew all the backers together.

We culled through the list, highlighting some of the concepts that we thought worked best, and then sat down with Lead Technical Designer Dan Tracy to come up with a working unified Artificial Gravity theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_J9o-akJc

A little over a year ago a one-man dev team took a VR gun range and expanded on it, adding dozens of weapons, stages, and now has an entire Westworld inspired level with a bunch of fun gags and gimmicks and modes with way less than $150 million and a cult of loyal worshippers. Still with plenty more to come, detailing every step and directly involving the community the entire time.

What the gently caress is happening with CIG? How is anyone not loudly demanding a refund at this point?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hobold posted:

I don't know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds just like Raditz.

Vegeeeeeetaaaaaaa

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

bill_murray posted:

Chris sure isnt

At least those working will be productive then.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

doingitwrong posted:

I… I really did think it was another ironic Goon post. But it really isn't.

Am I reading this right, that the artificial gravity mechanics were developed by some kind of crowd-consulting system?

if i were to brainstorm with some other like minded individuals on possible artifical gravity systems for my fictional universe i don't think we would come up with piping liquid artificial gravity through the walls and floor.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Looking forward to trying out the gravity plumber profession in realistic space game Star Citizen.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
do they also pump liquid lasers to their guns?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Space Crabs posted:

if i were to brainstorm with some other like minded individuals on possible artifical gravity systems for my fictional universe i don't think we would come up with piping liquid artificial gravity through the walls and floor.

That sounds like a smart idea, avoiding stupid scifi bullshit while also keeping it more realistic!

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord
I can't wait to have a bad batch of gravity because the NPC refining it was having a bad day.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
BAD ICE was not a joke!

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
t-posing is not the type of rigid body simulation people were expecting

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

The Pi dude posted:

I can't wait to have a bad batch of gravity because the NPC refining it was having a bad day.

Uhg, my ship is all kinds of hosed up because I got sold a tank of counterfeit gravity from Space Mexico. It was mostly radon and burro farts.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

does this mean line of defense will beat star citizen to market?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Percelus posted:

does this mean line of defense will beat star citizen to market?

whoa there, don't let's get ahead of ourselves

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

hot balls man no homo posted:

Uhg, my ship is all kinds of hosed up because I got sold a tank of counterfeit gravity from Space Mexico. It was mostly radon and burro farts.
poo poo grav meal comes from Minnesota you racist gently caress

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

peter gabriel posted:

If a drink is only 96% good or whatever then what is the other 4%? A little bit of poo poo or something or a pube?

peter gabriel posted:

MISSION FAILED - Too many pubes in drink press <Use> to try again

It's not my fault you ordered the Hairy Roberts but it doesn't matter because Port Olisar's rings have spotted us and all hope is gone.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

BAD ICE was not a joke!

I wonder how often Chris has to reinforce something he said wasn't a joke. I mean aside from every time they talk about actually hitting milestones and releases.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

trucutru posted:

Is Chris Yamcha?

Chris Sabat does play Yamcha in the Funimation dub, yes.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

Make the United Empire of Earth great again. We're going to bring back the grav mining jobs to hard working Earthlings, and build a space wall to keep out aliens, illegal or otherwise

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Squiddite posted:

edit: my mistake, gravity goo is actually harvested from somewhere called "interspace" and merely reheated inside your ship
Can I microwave gravity or does it have to be a gas oven?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really want to see the look on the programmers' faces when the lore guys explain that they're going to need to implement fluid physics so gravity goo sprays around ships when they're damaged because backers said so.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 1, 2017

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

SelenicMartian posted:

Can I microwave gravity or does it have to be a gas oven?

Probably but don't use the microwave in the breakroom, it will make your gravity smell like popcorn and cup-of-noodle soup.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sindai posted:

I really want to see the look on the programmers' faces when the lore guys explain that they're going to need to implement fluid physics so gravity goo sprays around ships when they're damaged because backers said so.
Then their face when they were told that every object in the room must be affected by gravity generated by the drops of the spraying fluid. In a network environment.

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

Looking forward to trying out the gravity plumber profession in realistic space game Star Citizen.

I'm going to be a space priest because marriages in the verse will obviously be a thing. Pay $1000 to be blessed by pope roberts himself.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

There will be space sitcoms.

- Oh, no! We can't reheat enough gravity in time for the wedding reception!
- Don't worry, honey! I'll try this trick with a couple of photon torpedoes we've learned at space bartender school!
*muffled space explosion*
- Well, the ship is gone, but at least we were both dancing when it went off!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Now I'm really curious about the density of liquid gravity. if I ball up some and toss it into a crowded room, how hosed up is everyone?

Did the lore guys just pick the idea that made the least sense knowing it will never get made? Was that choice just malicious in intent at this point?

So many questions

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

Mexican grav uses real sugar.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Mazz posted:

Now I'm really curious about the density of liquid gravity. if I ball up some and toss it into a crowded room, how hosed up is everyone?

That sounds like something that would make for an absolutely hilarious mechanic to center a game around.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

Called it, Star Citizen is late :smug:

Fairly certain I thought it first and being in the future, means I win :shrug:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Shadowlyger posted:

That sounds like something that would make for an absolutely hilarious mechanic to center a game around.

Yeah, it's the singularity power from Mass Effect.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
If I was gonna be as smug as Cymelion, I'd endeavor to spell "bear with me" correctly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I wonder how citizens reconcile the fact that, with patch 3.0, among other things, Chris has outed himself as

A. A liar
B. Incompetent

because of his statement claiming 3.0 WILL release in 2016. Hes been given every positive adjective under the sun, but one had to either be lying to secure a cashflow or totally removed from the development of his own game.

3.0 is a patch that is closing in on a year(!) of delays. For a patch that might possibly contain very little. Even in the most positive light they are basically adding a small portion of the proposed "economy", and maybe some quests and fake professions to do.

Close to a year of delays for the baseline stuff. What the gently caress is going to happen once they have to actually implement poo poo like farming and high numbers of NPCs and all that other garbage? Theyve already maximized their pipeline portfolio, they are at max efficiency , and the full release is going to be years, literal YEARS away.

And Star Citizen already looks dated, so I'm excited for the next engine change to spruce that up.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Wise Learned Man posted:

If I was gonna be as smug as Cymelion, I'd endeavor to spell "bear with me" correctly.

What a strange mouse.

I heard CIG is finally bankrupt is this real? If so: lol.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

TheAgent posted:

greatest state in the nation imo

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.
gravity goo... they need to megamap that poo poo

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Wow, is this a real cymelion meltdown going on? Seems like they are losing their minds over there in :reddit: land.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I wonder how citizens reconcile the fact that, with patch 3.0, among other things, Chris has outed himself as

A. A liar
B. Incompetent

because of his statement claiming 3.0 WILL release in 2016. Hes been given every positive adjective under the sun, but one had to either be lying to secure a cashflow or totally removed from the development of his own game.

3.0 is a patch that is closing in on a year(!) of delays. For a patch that might possibly contain very little. Even in the most positive light they are basically adding a small portion of the proposed "economy", and maybe some quests and fake professions to do.

Close to a year of delays for the baseline stuff. What the gently caress is going to happen once they have to actually implement poo poo like farming and high numbers of NPCs and all that other garbage? Theyve already maximized their pipeline portfolio, they are at max efficiency , and the full release is going to be years, literal YEARS away.

And Star Citizen already looks dated, so I'm excited for the next engine change to spruce that up.

Missing the forest for the trees, MoMA displays it here.

You ignore the big picture and laser focus in on the details. The dates and times of certain patches, or the very existence of a patch divorced away from it's dev time or it's features.

Does a patch exist? Victory

None of the details that make this scam as hilarious as it is dishonest are even being considered by the cultists. In the aftermath the people that are able to will step back and feel really really stupid for expecting hundreds of different equally impossible features all in one game.

Millions of NPCs, Millions of players, hundreds of thousands of ships,4k resolution minecraft terrains with an entire industry and ships built around simulated real mining and smelting with procedural life and procedural terrain at ten times the graphical quality of any other game completely lagless over a hundred systems that are rendered entirely as one giant instance of billions of kilometers each that take hours to cross, with drink mixing minigames, dynamic real world physics and complete damage modeling of ships in real time with people renting ships and the in game currency doubling or more in value despite $153,000,000,000 being injected into the economy before it even exists.

I could type ten times as long about all the other promised science poo poo, exploration, bounty hunting, mercenary work, missions, mess hall scenes, NPC motion capturing, news vans, crewing 30+ people on one ship, and a list of features so long it just makes me feel bad for these people.

Like jesus christ lurking backers, how can you believe this poo poo to the level where you ask zero questions and have zero expectations and willingly pay for the privilege of paying more.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hobold posted:

Wow, is this a real cymelion meltdown going on? Seems like they are losing their minds over there in :reddit: land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

P-P-P-Puppetmaster