Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mad Hamish posted:

Strong Belwas and Fat Lord Manderley are amazing and I will not hear a word against them.

Please read something like Bleak House, which has real characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

nine-gear crow posted:

Maybe that's why he was able to spit out like 9 Expanse books in the span of 5 years: he was writing them while serving as GRRM's workslave and then published them when he escaped the dungeon.

I bet 5 of those were written in feces and pizza grease he gathered from the exterior belly of the beast.

How are the Expanse books by the way? Thinking of reading them when the show is over/cancelled (again).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Please read something like Bleak House, which has real characters.

eh if we're going to get into Victorian Era authors i'd rather read most any other of the big names over Dickens.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Blind Sally posted:

eh if we're going to get into Victorian Era authors i'd rather read most any other of the big names over Dickens.

No

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ya

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I’m not really a fan of Dicken’s prose, but I do respect the fact that the man survived a train crash, helped other survivors to safety, and then ran back onto the burning train to save the unfinished manuscript of Our Mutual Friend. Not quite as baller as Richard Sheridan kicking back with a beer and watching his theatre burn down from a bar across the street while the rest of London panicked, but it’s up there.

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Anders posted:

I bet 5 of those were written in feces and pizza grease he gathered from the exterior belly of the beast.

How are the Expanse books by the way? Thinking of reading them when the show is over/cancelled (again).

The Expanse books are pretty good overall, and there's a definite improvement as series progresses. The stories for the most part are pretty straightforward, so not a whole lot of unexpected twists and turns.

What makes the series shine the most is the care the authors have taken in making the setting somewhat believable and giving the political conditions some depth.

Overall, they're fun.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

I’m not really a fan of Dicken’s prose

:chloe:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

His books are boring as gently caress and are about boring as gently caress people.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I seem to remember liking A Tale of Two Cities as a kid. I liked the play Oliver. A Christmas Carol is pretty legit. Chucky Dick could write some decent poo poo. He's no Steven King, obviously though.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Single and LOVING IT posted:

The Expanse books are pretty good overall, and there's a definite improvement as series progresses. The stories for the most part are pretty straightforward, so not a whole lot of unexpected twists and turns.

What makes the series shine the most is the care the authors have taken in making the setting somewhat believable and giving the political conditions some depth.

Overall, they're fun.

I'm gonna have to hard disagree with you on the series improving as it goes on. The first book is by far the most interesting because it's a noir type murder mystery set IN SPAAAACCCCEEEE with alternating perspectives between two characters, but that premise is abandoned by the second book in favor splitting perspectives between like 6 characters.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Marijuana posted:

I'm gonna have to hard disagree with you on the series improving as it goes on. The first book is by far the most interesting because it's a noir type murder mystery set IN SPAAAACCCCEEEE with alternating perspectives between two characters, but that premise is abandoned by the second book in favor splitting perspectives between like 6 characters.

I was really into the first book and then it got all weird and ran with that to an extent I lost interest. I don't know if the later ones pull back from the goop or not.

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Marijuana posted:

That's fair, certainly the main plot of the first book helped get me hooked in the first place, but for me what's kept me interested is the interplay Earth, Mars, and the Belt. And the authors, I think, do a nice job of showing up all the weird stuff they introduced would have a cascading effect on the whole system. And it really helps having multiple characters in different places to tell that kind of story. Plus I really enjoy the additional characters dunking the main cast.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

yikes, read yourself some Hardy or Gaskell.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
read some Hopkins or Wilde if youre not against poetry or plays, but lmfao if youre surprised that Dickens isnt everyone's favourite Victorian writer

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Blind Sally posted:

read some Hopkins or Wilde if youre not against poetry or plays, but lmfao if youre surprised that Dickens isnt everyone's favourite Victorian writer

Not surprised, but disgusted.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Marijuana posted:

I think the investigation part was the best far of the series too, before it got to crazy. Luckily in the series they reined in the space magicx after a while. And with the books I don't have to put up with Steven Strait and Shohreh Aghdashloos acting.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

have you read many others? if not, you should read more. you might be surprised. Dickens is good, but there are other brilliant authors from that time. the Bronte sisters are well regarded for a reason. both Shelleys are great.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Dickens being paid by the word is painfully obvious in everything he ever wrote. If you want to experience Dickens and not be bored out of your skull just watch Wishbone or The Muppets.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Woodpile posted:

Darkstar has got it all over those chumps for he is of the night.

I'd like to be able to say I threw up in my mouth a little just reading that again

But it wasn't 'just a little'.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Anders posted:

I think the investigation part was the best far of the series too, before it got to crazy. Luckily in the series they reined in the space magicx after a while. And with the books I don't have to put up with Steven Strait and Shohreh Aghdashloos acting.

I mean...there is an Immortal Space Hitler and inter dimensional bullets . That poo poo's pretty crazy, man. Steven Strait's stupid mug has infected my brain, so I picture him as Holden in the books, now :negative:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh, I forgot to ask, how was your vacation, anyway? Did you do anything interesting during your month off from the forums? Got any cool stories for the rest of us?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Dickens being paid by the word is painfully obvious

How so?

Are there some extant contracts or other documents that show this to be the case?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Sir, this is the thread for discussing GRRM’s lovely prose, not Dickens’s. Please stop straying off topic.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dickens wasnt paid by the word but by installment.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

nine-gear crow posted:

Sir, this is the thread for discussing GRRM’s lovely prose, not Dickens’s. Please stop straying off topic.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's the thread for lovely posts.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I paid my 10bux for the Bad Thread. That bathing scene reminded me of the bad old times, when reading a few pages of this thread would ruin your digestion.

But hey, at least he got adwd out in these 9 years. I was very sure he'd die because of that UTI.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 18, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Blind Sally posted:

Dickens wasnt paid by the word but by installment.

I believe he was paid by the orphan starving to death.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

no wonder his prose is so ponderous!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

He and Hans Christian Andersen must have had the same contract.

edit:
Oh! There's another contemporary that is better than Dickens!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh! There's another contemporary that is better than Dickens!

How exactly?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
hans christian anderson is retarded

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He wrote The Little Mermaid.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The little mermaid sucks

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV2SpFi4nVY&t=16s

:colbert:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

the little mermaid as written by hans christian anderson sucks

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Anders posted:

You seem like you suck and are very unattractive

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

What, wait? Do you actually like her acting? Please explain why, because I'm dumbfounded how anyone can watch the Expanse without cringing during here scenes.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

She's the best actor on the show :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Marijuana posted:

She's the best actor on the show :colbert:

Pretty much, she is fantastic