Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KillHour posted:

On the flip side of that, I've had drunk people just come up to my car and get in thinking I'm their loving Uber.

maybe lock your doors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ror posted:

If this is the future that Tesla is innovating toward then I have just done a complete 180 on the company.

That must be hard on your neck

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Data Graham posted:

That must be hard on your neck

It'd be easy if they were to put it into one of those Dodge Demons.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

can you make that the thread title?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

maybe lock your doors

I mean, my doors auto lock which is why I haven't had this exact problem. People do yank on the handle though. Downside of having a black sedan when you're waiting to pick up family someplace.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
In another year or two your Tesla will call you a pedo guy and you'll like it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My Tesla won't let me get in it because I'm not wearing pants what should i do

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Alarbus posted:

I mean, my doors auto lock which is why I haven't had this exact problem. People do yank on the handle though. Downside of having a black sedan when you're waiting to pick up family someplace.

My habit of keeping my doors locked saved my bacon when some rear end in a top hat tried to yank them open over some road rage nonsense.

Current car has auto door locks, but only when you take it out of Park.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

One of the things I remember being taught when I was learning how to drive: Keep your doors locked always.

20+ years later it is still a 100% consistent habit - you get in the car, you lock the doors.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I never lock my doors, I turn off the auto lock, please don't car jack me.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm very annoyed by the feature on my GFs last two cars. Both the Genesis coupe and her current Audi TTS unlock the doors when you put the car in park, and I hate it. Haven't figured out a way to disable it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I think most cars have separate lock and unlock settings. I believe my VW had that option.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I got screwed by Auto-lock in Drive without auto-unlock in Park in a van I'd rented a few years ago.

Pulled up to the shop doors at work to pick up some steel plates, put it in Park. Pulled the driver's door handle as one does when getting out, which unlocked the had-been-locked door. I got out and left it running, and shut the door behind me.

"Hey, can you move the van a couple of feet forward so we can load this stuff?"

I opened the door, got back into the driver's seat, and put it in Drive to inch it forward. I left the door hanging open while I did it. Once I was in position I stopped, put it in park, hopped out, and again shut the door leaving it running.

"Hey can you unlock the side door now so we can load this stuff?"

Went to the side door, locked. Passenger door, locked. Driver's door, locked. All doors locked. Van is running, with keys in ignition. 2nd key helpfully ziptied to 1st key. Ummmmm... poo poo. Took a minute to realize that thr van had locked everything down when I'd put it into drive, and since the door had already been open, it didn't get unlocked when I got out. Now we were all screwed, as a cement truck was inbound to the shop and the drat van was blocking the doors.

I'm pretty sure my '84 VW had a feature that either wouldn't let you lock the door latch when the door was open, or popped the latch back unlocked when you shut the door. Either way, it was virtually impossible to lock the key inside the car without trying. Seems like the kind of thing that once it's invented, it becomes standard on all vehicles afterward. Guess Ford didn't want to license the tech, or didn't care.

The shop ended up building a cradle out of some wood dunnage & moved the van with a forklift, lol. The wedge-a-door-opensmith messed with it for an hour before giving up, and I ended up getting the rental company's blessing for the Ford dealer to cut a spare from the VIN. That's my go-to move, anymore. (tossed the keys in the trunk of a rental Corolla a few months later)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That van story! Ugh. I'm glad the International can only lock the doors if they're shut. You have to lock it with the keys in the exterior lock, or from the inside when shut. Can't lock the keys in and also awkward when you have to tell your passenger to get out and shut the door before I get out.

I had gotten my 89 New Yorker stuck in the snow, and while trying to unstick it I got the speedo over 15mph which locked my open door just the same as the van above and I shut it locking the running car. I ran home and back but didn't make it in time before the cops were there and arresting my friend and later me for the open containers of Mike's Hard Lemonade in the cup holder.

Terrible life choices stuff.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

By '00 VW had a different system.

Concussed, and borderline hypothermic, I was changing out of my wet snowboard clothes in the hatch of my Passat Wagon, I had thrown my keys in after unlocking it, when I stood up when I was done, the slight movement of the suspension caused the gas shocks to give up and the hatch to slam shut.

The car made a cheerful *Beep Beep!* as it locked the keys inside automatically.

I kicked the rear quarter window out to get them back.

I learned a valuable lesson that day: always kick out your windshield to get in your car, most side glass is NLA on older cars, and it's harder to get replaced.

Okay, two lessons, also don't snowboard off trail into the woods drunk.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah always kick out the windscreen if you have to break some glass to get in. There's a whole industry set up around replacing those, but good loving luck getting a new rear quarter glass for a 2-door 1988 323 turbo after your idiot mate you loaned it to locked the keys in it and decided that small = cheap when it came to glass.

Not bitter about it, though, don't let them say I was bitter about it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Or at least kick out the driver window or passenger window if it's a common-ish car, that's 25 bucks at PicknPull and probably 20min to replace.

And you can still drive without it, unlike an obliterated multilayer windshield that is a total pain to get through.

Ideally, have spare door keys cut on flat metal blanks and keep them in your wallet.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I gave a lecture on User Interface at GDC in the early 1990's and used my 1984 CRX as an example of how to do door locks right.

You could lock the doors from inside, but if you got out of the car you had to use the key to lock the drivers door.

A blocking function. Good design.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

VideoGameVet posted:

I gave a lecture on User Interface at GDC in the early 1990's and used my 1984 CRX as an example of how to do door locks right.

You could lock the doors from inside, but if you got out of the car you had to use the key to lock the drivers door.

There was always a way to defeat this with 80’s and 90’s Honda, but you’d have to do it on purpose.

Use the inside lock with the door open, then to prevent the lock popping open again when the door closed you would pull the outside door handle while shutting the door.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like how my focus handles it - if you close the door locked with the keys inside, it will unlock them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My car has a push button start and "comfort access" that let's me unlock the doors by grabbing the handle with the keys in my pocket. Keys go in my pocket and stay there until I'm back in the house.

On the downside, I could forget to turn off the engine and go grocery shopping with it just idling away. I was able to code the car to at least beep a few times if I lock the door from the outside with the engine running. Dunno why that isn't the default.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

NoWake posted:

I'm pretty sure my '84 VW had a feature that either wouldn't let you lock the door latch when the door was open, or popped the latch back unlocked when you shut the door. Either way, it was virtually impossible to lock the key inside the car without trying. Seems like the kind of thing that once it's invented, it becomes standard on all vehicles afterward. Guess Ford didn't want to license the tech, or didn't care.

Hondas didn't used to let you lock the driver's side door with it open unless you pulled the door handle.

Every car I've owned with power locks WOULD NOT let you lock the doors with the door open and key in the ignition. Except for the Subaru. :argh: The Subaru also disables the key fob when it's running. Guess who had 2 fobs and 1 key that would actually unlock the car? :downs: I'm used to being able to lock a car to let it warm up a little in the winter (so I can get some semblance of heat, also in case I get distracted while scraping the windows), then unlock it with a spare fob. Noooope, not this car, and the key it came with was so worn it wouldn't unlock any doors, only worked in the ignition. I had a new one cut from the VIN (which opens everything except the driver's door) and promptly threw away the worn out one. :sigh:

VideoGameVet posted:

:ssh: If you pulled the interior door handle while locking it with the inside lock, it will lock with the door open.

It's in the owner's manual, IIRC.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My work Hinos you have to push the door button to lock them bitches manually, or use the remote.
The remote won't lock it if there is a door open.
In college, I locked the keys in my old Mazda a couple times. Luckily a guy I knew had a slim jim set.
No idea where he got it from. Later on I copied the tool that he used to open my car when I again locked them bitches in there, but had access to some pliers and a coat hanger.

Haven't locked the keys in my Corolla yet, almost 13 years its been.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
My wife's Kia does this thing where if you unlock the car with the fob it will automatically lock all the doors back in 30 seconds or something like that. Real fun when we were leaving the pediatrician, strapped my 2 year old in her car seat with the diaper bag next to her, containing the car keys, and closed the back door only to realize the doors had locked themselves back in the meantime. Luckily my inlaws weren't far away and had a key to our house to get the spare. Also luckily it was January in Florida and not July. There seems to be no way to disable this "feature".

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Two things:

1. If you exit the vehicle with the engine running, roll down the window.

2. When you exit the vehicle with the engine off, hold the keys in your hand while closing the door.

Source: 12 years of route delivery experience. If I haven't hosed something up myself, I've helped someone who has.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CttdIFVusqg

Sweet jesus I loved that car

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

Two things:

1. If you exit the vehicle with the engine running, roll down the window.

2. When you exit the vehicle with the engine off, hold the keys in your hand while closing the door.

Source: 12 years of route delivery experience. If I haven't hosed something up myself, I've helped someone who has.

Okay, four things:

3. If you lock your keys in a vehicle anywhere that has wooden pallets, stomp the middle of a plank. Do it right on a lovely white wood one and it forms a convenient wedge shape as it breaks, making it very easy to wedge into the door to give enough space to get a tool in and hit the door lock. This leads to 4.

4. External metal antennas have a pair of flats on them to unscrew them. Barring some strong wire or a coat hanger, an antenna works just fine to push a lock botton or slide the lock button over.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NoWake posted:

Zee Germans had central locking figured out in the 80's. I bought an E30 when it was just a used car in 2003, and it had a similar system. You couldn't push the door lock down with that door open, and all the electric locks operated together (doors and truck).

Pretty much the only way to lock the keys in the car, would be to "double lock" the trunk (iirc, turn the latch 90⁰ past the normal point which enables the central lock system, which also disables it from unlocking with the door locks even if you break into the car) with the trunk lid open, and close the trunk lid with the keys inside.

Guess what this guy did right after buying it, IN the dealer parking lot, with the only key! :v:

I had to leave it until the next day, and a locksmith was able to break into the car, remove the glove box lock (which was keyed to the rest), take it apart and produce a key close enough to unlock the trunk. Then he made some extra keys for my dumb rear end.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Uthor posted:

On the downside, I could forget to turn off the engine and go grocery shopping with it just idling away. I was able to code the car to at least beep a few times if I lock the door from the outside with the engine running. Dunno why that isn't the default.

That was the default on my Mustang and it drove me nuts so I turned it off. Hated that if I pull the car out the garage and want to get out to run back in the house quickly or grab the mail or whatever it was always honking at me, especially if I was leaving early in the morning for work or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

In mine, it only does it if I lock the door and I can live with that. I'm fine leaving the door unlocked if I'm running in or whatever.

My mom's Honda will beep if you walk around to the back to open the hatch with your keys in your pocket. That's excessive. But it's a quick beepbeepbeep and not the car horn honking.

At least you have the option. I had to download an app and get in through the OBDII port and code the system.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

opengl128 posted:

That was the default on my Mustang and it drove me nuts so I turned it off. Hated that if I pull the car out the garage and want to get out to run back in the house quickly or grab the mail or whatever it was always honking at me, especially if I was leaving early in the morning for work or something.

Five things:

5. There is usually a way to turn off the tone if you leave the door open, the lights on, the motor running, the unlock chime period, or any combination of the above. Seat belt engaged, ignition to "on", do this, do that, etc.

Source: see above.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Not in the new Fords with the keyless system. It REALLY wants you to know you left the engine running.

The "fix" is to manually edit hex values in the BCM.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My 1973 VW bus wouldn't lock the doors unless you held the door handle while shutting it or lock it with the key from the outside.

Somehow I still managed to lock the key in the thing a few times. I just put a copy in my wallet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My GTI's passenger door stopped locking altogether and there wasn't a physical lock to actuate manually, so I would just arm the alarm and hope to hear it blaring if someone tried to get in.

It also would sometimes unlock the doors without disarming the alarm, so it would go off and you had to quickly hop into the car and turn the ignition to turn it off.

The key fob receiver stopped working, so all of this had to be done with the key itself.

I miss that car. :smith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

look at all these incredibly contrived setups people have come up with. my grandpa taught me to just wire a spare key inside the rear bumper* so that you can always crawl under and dig it out if you need to.

*not my actual hiding place, lmao like i'd just give it away

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I always roll the window down any time my cars running and I get out. That and look at the key in my hand before I lock it. I have to do this because I'm extremely scatter brained so those are my work arounds.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

My Prius does the lock when you put it in park thing and it drives me crazy. Luckily it's push to start and the door auto unlocks so my keys never leave my pocket, so at least there's no danger of locking myself out

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

angryrobots posted:

Not in the new Fords with the keyless system. It REALLY wants you to know you left the engine running.

Should have mentioned yes, I had to use Forscan to code it out, it's not a normal setting.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I've determined how Ford handles proximity sensors with the key fob with locking/unlocking and keyless start a wonderment of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

angryrobots posted:

im having a hard time believing that you can not notice that a mustang's engine is running

any car, really, but especially a mustang