Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Toshimo posted:

Scenario: Me (Rad Wizard) and my buddy (a Fighter) get jumped by some gobbos.

If I try to shoot his gobbo with my Fire Bolt, does he provide cover against it? Can it hit him by accident? Does shooting his gobbo while I have one adjacent cause disadvantage since I'm "firing ranged out of melee"?
Yes, half cover.
Only if the GM is using an optional rule from page 272 of the DMG.
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I think rad wizard has disadvantage because he's in melee with gobbo and I might go with disadvantage for firing through your buddy but disadvantage doesn't stack anyway so whatever. I wouldn't let you hit another player unless it was funny as heck or benefitted them in some roundabout way.

e: I'm honestly not sure if theres even a rule for firing ranged while in melee.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Toshimo posted:

TBF, fiddly physics already does not apply to Wizards because... *checks spellbook* I'll just alter the entirety of reality so that my corporeal self already exists on the other side of the ravine.

The orc looks at you from across the 30 foot wide bottomless ravine
*I shoot the orc*
Ok. On the orcs turn he leaps across the chasm and hits you
"Wtf how"

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

OutsideAngel posted:

If you're gonna demand exhaustive physics simulations to explain how my goliath barbarian can leap a chasm, I'm gonna demand the same to explain how the loving dragons in the title of the game can fly.

But I'm guessing dragons never bullied Mike Mearls in high school.

I'm not trying to explain how you can jump the chasm, I'm designing a model to determine how far you can jump and trying to make it satisfying and fun enough for you to want to use over the RAW.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
"Is it a more interesting story if they make it or fail?"

Surely that should be the starting point since we are way out of the realms of "realism" here.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

mastershakeman posted:

*I shoot the orc*
"Wtf how"

I’d suggest that random orc NPC #2748 doesn’t need to always have access to the same abilities as the heroic player characters, but you’re mastershakeman and you’ve often made clear that you disagree so, welp

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Toshimo posted:

TBF, fiddly physics already does not apply to Wizards because... *checks spellbook* I'll just alter the entirety of reality so that my corporeal self already exists on the other side of the ravine.

I mean it's either that or the game grinds to a halt while everyone tries to figure out some goofy rope poo poo that won't get the weak ones killed. Big gaps are a caster tax and that's probably fine.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Josef bugman posted:

"Is it a more interesting story if they make it or fail?"

Surely that should be the starting point since we are way out of the realms of "realism" here.
Nah, don't be doing that. D&D has been a "NUMBERS YEAH! LET'S POORLY MODEL EVERYTHING!" game since 3.x, and 5E is continuing that tradition in every other area. There's nothing inherently wrong with having your jump distances as a number on your sheet, if that's the way the rest of the game works. Which is how D&D 5E works. The Caster/Non-Caster split, and the main flaw in 3.x/5e, is that the Caster frequently gets to ignore its numbers but the non-Caster doesn't get anything comparable, not that the numbers exist.

Baby T. Love posted:

I'm not trying to explain how you can jump the chasm, I'm designing a model to determine how far you can jump and trying to make it satisfying and fun enough for you to want to use over the RAW.
It's a bad model though. It's weird and confusing and doesn't follow from any of the game's other systems.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

*I shoot the orc*
"Wtf how""Oh poo poo boss fight!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Novum posted:

I think rad wizard has disadvantage because he's in melee with gobbo and I might go with disadvantage for firing through your buddy but disadvantage doesn't stack anyway so whatever. I wouldn't let you hit another player unless it was funny as heck or benefitted them in some roundabout way.

e: I'm honestly not sure if theres even a rule for firing ranged while in melee.

There is. The ally provides cover for the goblin and there is an optional rule in the DMG for hitting cover.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I specifically said I didn't know if there was a rule about making ranged attack rolls while in melee, so if you've got insight into that I'll skim over it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Novum posted:

I specifically said I didn't know if there was a rule about making ranged attack rolls while in melee, so if you've got insight into that I'll skim over it.

You have disadvantage if an enemy is within 5 feet of you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Novum posted:

Splicer posted:

Yes, half cover.
Only if the GM is using an optional rule from page 272 of the DMG.
Yes.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

MonsterEnvy posted:

You have disadvantage if an enemy is within 5 feet of you.

Thought that was if attacking the enemy that's within 5 feet?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Arthil posted:

Thought that was if attacking the enemy that's within 5 feet?

RANGED ATTACKS IN CLOSE COMBAT
Aiming a ranged attack is more difficult when a foe
is next to you. When you make a ranged attack with
a weapon, a spell, or some other means, you have
disadvantage on the attack roll if you are within 5 feet
of a hostile creature who can see you and who isn't
incapacitated.

Nope, just beside you imposes the disadvantage.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Going back a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL4vnolCwLI

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Grid guy: thank you for using Ajax as your fighter

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

RC Cola posted:

I took your advice and bought a bunch of die. Down to support mom and pop shops and also pro gay pride people (they are doing a sale on rainbow dice sets and donating some to charity).
Thanks!

Sweet, which ones did you get? I'm very happy with everything, here's my haul:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Whoa, the gothica dice look really cool. I'm really reluctant to get new dice because PAX had a pick-your-own Chessex booth, so I have two sets of dice that are each two 7-sets plus 4 extra matching d6s, which is just too convenient to replace.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

Elysiume posted:

Whoa, the gothica dice look really cool. I'm really reluctant to get new dice because PAX had a pick-your-own Chessex booth, so I have two sets of dice that are each two 7-sets plus 4 extra matching d6s, which is just too convenient to replace.

The d20 I got is really drat heavy! I've never had a metal one before, and I'm kind of nervous about rolling it anywhere but inside a tray (wouldn't want to accidentally cut a battlemap, or chip/scratch someone's wood table).

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Baby T. Love posted:

Splicer posted:

It's a bad model though. It's weird and confusing and doesn't follow from any of the game's other systems.

That doesn't invalidate what I said and it's also vague enough that I can't argue with it.

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 11, 2018

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

DKWildz posted:

Sweet, which ones did you get? I'm very happy with everything, here's my haul:

The rainbow metal set(I wanted the metal silver gothica d20) a metal silver gothica d6, the swamp set of plastic, and the rolling tray. I almost wish I had stuck with the golem set like you got. Those look really cool.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baby T. Love posted:

That doesn't invalidate what I said and it's also vague enough that I can't argue with it.
It's a bad model because it caps most characters at 10 feet, which is silly. I can running jump 10 feet and I'm just lard and skin. It's also sucky for the level 20 Fighter who can't power jump, or the halfling who's suddenly capped at 8.166 foot jumps. It makes jumping worse.
"It doesn't follow on from any of the other systems" is a fairly specific complaint. It's a common trap to invent an entirely new subsystem to handle something minor (something the vanilla method is also guilty of). This pulls in two different stats and also requires adding a bunch of extra abilities to the barbarian to make it function as intended. It's inelegant, and no other part of the system works on similar rules. The latter adds additional mental overhead for working things out on the fly.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 11, 2018

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
The running and jumping rules make perfect sense if you keep in mind the people who made the rules are all pudgy, lazy middle aged men.

DC 10 to jump over a 3ft wall. As in, that thing you used to do as a child in gym class.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Insert pathfinder rule based off a pudgy nerd trying to draw and sheathe a sword, or grip a weapon tied to their wrist.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
They did base a rule off a test in which they proved unable to grab a computer mouse that was tied to their wrist...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
While true, you have to remember all this running and jumping is often being done by characters wearing armor of various sizable weights who are also wearing backpacks full of even more stuff.

I'm more than happy to trade off not having to worry about the realism of backpacking in armor for ten hours a day to have a lower jumping ability

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
ten minutes to remove heavy armor, one minute to put it back on, a full paragraph explaining what the words 'doff' and 'don' mean

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

mormonpartyboat posted:

ten minutes to remove heavy armor, one minute to put it back on, a full paragraph explaining what the words 'doff' and 'don' mean

A guy recorded himself sleeping overnight in a suit of armor to protest the rule in Xanathar's about sleeping in armor. I can't find it now but it was in the terrible 5e Facebook group that I love.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Armor wasn't nearly that encumbering as modern culture makes it out to be. A well made suit of armor made for a person able to afford evenly spread the weight over their body and let them have a wide range of movement. Besides it's dumb a top notch man whose spent years in their practice and enhanced by supernatural items can't jump a ravine without a spell.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

While true, you have to remember all this running and jumping is often being done by characters wearing armor of various sizable weights who are also wearing backpacks full of even more stuff.
Sounds like fighter problems :smugwizard:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Dragonatrix posted:

They did base a rule off a test in which they proved unable to grab a computer mouse that was tied to their wrist...

You can't be serious. But you probably are.

Did they also try to juggle 3 bowling pins and then declare it impossible?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's not a joke at all. Trying to recover a weapon dangling from your wrist is a 10 or 15 check. Can't remember. Based off a developers own "testing". Might as well as played with a ball-in-cup and used that as an example.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 11, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

User0015 posted:

You can't be serious. But you probably are.

Did they also try to juggle 3 bowling pins and then declare it impossible?

https://twitter.com/yoda8myhead/status/390922975060688896

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Splicer posted:

Sounds like fighter problems :smugwizard:

adamantine armor reduces your jump distance by sqrt(str) while mithril armor increases it by log(str)

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Splicer posted:

It's a bad model because it caps most characters at 10 feet, which is silly. I can running jump 10 feet and I'm just lard and skin. It's also sucky for the level 20 Fighter who can't power jump, or the halfling who's suddenly capped at 8.166 foot jumps. It makes jumping worse.
Factoring in Dash solves these issues, which I was doing but I guess you didn't read the strikethrough which is fair enough. I realize this means the average person could just dash and jump 20, which seems high to me but I feel like it's better to have that problem than one that limits the players. I can't comment on the Fighter power jump beyond saying that for my game 20 feet in armor or 30 feet with some access to Bonus Action Dash is sufficiently superhuman.

Splicer posted:

"It doesn't follow on from any of the other systems" is a fairly specific complaint. It's a common trap to invent an entirely new subsystem to handle something minor (something the vanilla method is also guilty of). This pulls in two different stats and also requires adding a bunch of extra abilities to the barbarian to make it function as intended. It's inelegant, and no other part of the system works on similar rules. The latter adds additional mental overhead for working things out on the fly.
The difference between the Fighter and the Barbarian is usually armor, so you could just make the Barbarian Features Unarmored only, like Unarmored Defense and Unarmored Movement already are. If you think the vanilla rules are bad because "they don't follow" and don't want to use them then of course you aren't going to consider this alternate system that is one step more complicated. If this were calculating to hit chance or something I would agree with you but generally speaking your character's running long jump length isn't something you're going to have to calculate on the fly, so I'm not interested in "cutting the fat" or "making it intuitive," I only want it to be relatively realistic for starting characters and satisfyingly empowering for high level ones.

I appreciate the criticism.

e: I went back and edited the original and realized that if you don't consider Dash, my model would be ok to use for standing long jump.

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 11, 2018

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

ChaseSP posted:

Armor wasn't nearly that encumbering as modern culture makes it out to be. A well made suit of armor made for a person able to afford evenly spread the weight over their body and let them have a wide range of movement. Besides it's dumb a top notch man whose spent years in their practice and enhanced by supernatural items can't jump a ravine without a spell.

I thought I saw this video about full plate vs. modern military gear show up in this thread, or one of the D&D-centric ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAzI1UvlQqw

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kaysette posted:

A guy recorded himself sleeping overnight in a suit of armor to protest the rule in Xanathar's about sleeping in armor. I can't find it now but it was in the terrible 5e Facebook group that I love.

It’s an 8 hour video of them lying on the ground? That’s amazing.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Taran posted:

I thought I saw this video about full plate vs. modern military gear show up in this thread, or one of the D&D-centric ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAzI1UvlQqw

im the knight's sneakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChaseSP posted:

It's not a joke at all. Trying to recover a weapon dangling from your wrist is a 10 or 15 check. Can't remember. Based off a developers own "testing". Might as well as played with a ball-in-cup and used that as an example.

The funny thing is that I pick up a round, palm-sized key attached to a 2’ elastic cord via muscle memory almost every day at work. I forget which round of the “I tied a mouse to my wrist to make a game rule” it was, but it was a funny day when I realized I’d passed his test. I remember thinking that was BS back when I read that anecdote in Dragon Mag.

You see, the key is on a cord attached to a fence. The base of the cord is easier to reach than twisting and bending to pick up the key, so I use the cord to pull the key into my hand without needing to look. There was a day when I did that and realized “it’s the goddammed computer mouse...”