Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Oh no I’ll have to work from home, the horror...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Shut up Meg posted:

Personally speaking, I'd just drench everything in alcohol and leave it for a few days.

But enough about my weekend.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Woof Blitzer posted:

Oh no I’ll have to work from home, the horror...

Yeah, that was my thought. Heavens no, not working from home. I totally prefer to have to drive for an hour every day on my own time to get to/from work than the horrors of working from home.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
We also have a two week quarantine prepped at work and personally I am hoping for a SARS-CoV-2 scare because I would love to work from home...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We've had cases on campus. Everyone exposed is mandatory WFH for two weeks. The rule now is, WFH is your possibly can, so I'm going in Monday to prep some more test systems and then maybe GTFO for all of March.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My workplace has a bad "work sick" culture so I expect they'll go to the bitter end.

If people start asking me how to use the VPN that would be a good sign.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's only a matter of time before my university gets it's first case, if I don't get a couple weeks stretch of WFH out of this I am going to be so disappointed.

J
Jun 10, 2001

HR sent out the usual annual "if you have the flu stay home" email but that was it around here. I'm not hearing any talk about coronavirus from anyone for the most part. VPN usage is the same as always, no changes in overall traffic or access requests. I would be absolutely shocked to hear about any kind of mandatory WFH for anyone.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
As of yet, there is no talk of sending the office home for a week or two. Unfortunate really :(

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Working on a project to migrate our SMB file shares to Teams/SharePoint with AD-managed security permissions to the folders with a nested group structure, kind of want to push to give me uninterrupted time to focus on this in case we have to implement WFH, (limited number of laptops, people could work on their personal systems as an option) but then I'd probably end up on a literal deadline instead of when I feel like I have everything to implement it the right way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, until someone who has come to the office is confirmed with the virus, there's no point in doing a two week office closure. You either commit and say everyone works from home until further notice as a preemptive step or you wait until you have your first case, send everyone home, disinfect, and say at least two weeks before anyone comes back (and be prepared to repeat that several times until there's a vaccine next year.)

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
We had our first case on campus and now everyone is WFH.

The VPN quality last week was horrible with hundreds of thousands of people hammering the VPN infrastructure. I wonder what corporate IT is doing to boost bandwidth?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Agrikk posted:

We had our first case on campus and now everyone is WFH.

The VPN quality last week was horrible with hundreds of thousands of people hammering the VPN infrastructure. I wonder what corporate IT is doing to boost bandwidth?

There is scheduled maintenance to up the pipe to 10GB tomorrow but twice since I've been here one of the VPN profiles ran out of available IPs so I totally expect that to happen again if everyone has to WFH.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Agrikk posted:

Do we all get to guess?

My vote is 'nothing'

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma posted:

My workplace has a bad "work sick" culture so I expect they'll go to the bitter end.

If people start asking me how to use the VPN that would be a good sign.

Our new COO just sent out a "stay home if you're sick" email to the entire company.

She came to work sick. :shepicide:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've somehow entered into some sort of Frank Grimes situation. I have a coworker, not sure how he made it here, who is the biggest rube I've ever met. He is harmless, no maliciousness to him, but his stupidity is annoying beyond belief. He will repeat the same things over and over and over. Does little to no work and yet complains about it. Obsessed with radio contests and tries to rope us into it and get us to call in too. I'm not sure how much IT related work he could ever get done on his own without anyone to bug or without google.

His current obsession is the lottery. We went in on a group pool a while back and won like 60 bucks, all of which we put forward as the jackpot wasn't awarded. Ended up with squat. He showed up one day with this lottery calculator doohickey, complete garbage of course that he probably ordered off TV. Claims his uncle or somebody won 7 grand with it once. The "trick" is you have to play x amount of tickets to cover all possible combinations of the numbers you choose. What magic! So he wants us all to pick 3 numbers each and go in for a total of $94 in tickets to cover all combinations of our 18 numbers, if that even adds up. I tried explaining to him that its totally arbitrary and while of course we are increasing odds by buying an obscene amount of tickets, he is of the belief that by choosing this amount of numbers, they are somehow destined to come up and at the very least we will win enough to keep going in free plays indefinitely.

It isn't just him though. My other coworker is Mr. Know It All. Only a shade older than me, hasn't been here much longer, but truly believes he knows Absolutely Everything. Listens in on conversations and chimes in when he thinks something isn't right, when we need education. While I am loath to be privy to the ramblings of the Rube, KIA relishes in being around him as he allows him to feel intellectually superior. He is in on this scheme as well, and has tried to explain to me how- get this- playing 3 full sets of numbers will triple our odds!

I, of course, am hesitant to throw away $15 on a share of 94/14,000,000 chance in winning this thing. However there is the gotcha of what if they win, as it would be unfortunate if I had to kill them all or myself or both. When someone said they would just play 15 numbers instead, and thus would reduce the spread required (interruption- just overheard him mentioning someone local to him having won a couple hundred grand over the weekend for at least the 5th time this morning) to only 37 tickets needed. "So that increases our odds!" he said. I laughed mightily to which he responded "you laugh now but we'll be laughing when we win!".

Did I mention he gets about 20-25% more salary than me?

Where is that electrical panel again?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dick Trauma posted:

Our new COO just sent out a "stay home if you're sick" email to the entire company.

Do as I say not as I do

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Our CEO just sent out a memo saying basically that. He just came back from travel and will be working remotely for the next couple of weeks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
poo poo not pissing me off. I was laid off over a week ago after a closure. A major hospital network (I know, at a time like this) extended an offer to me and my former coworker and we're starting on the 30th :yotj:.

They even offered me more than what I specified!

Their on calls are much less frequent!

They actually have career growth and not an ossified elite!

I don't have to buy insurance for the month since I'm pretty sure it's retroactive for the whole month! And it's day one.

The pay is a little less than before, but pretty much everyone I've talked to agreed 72k per year for desktop in LA was a little bananas anyway. I'm taking a long view of it and hopefully I can move up in a year or two. They've insisted nobody stays desktop for much longer than that.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

skooma512 posted:

They've insisted nobody stays desktop for much longer than that.

Congrats.

Also, either they're really good at hiring or you have some bad people on higher tier teams. (But I guess that describes most places)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Two weeks ago we had the entire marketing and sales department over for three days of training. That’s 60 extra people in our lab.

The morning after they left my coworker and I see a huge mess out and we clean it up and I post a message on slack basically saying “Hey guys, what the gently caress, this is unacceptable please cleanup after yourselves.” Another guy even chimes in and says “yeah, I had to keep cleaning the bathroom all day as well.”

Then my other coworkers start coming in and they say stuff is missing. Then we realize there was a break in because the door magnets aren’t strong enough and you can just rip the door open.

So on slack I post “Hey, our drawers were rifled through and stuff was stolen, this is bad.”

My boss calls me an hour later screaming that I was accusing the sales team of stealing, which is insane for a number of reasons. He then said “don’t talk about this incident in slack anymore!” And hung up on me. He was loud enough for my coworkers to heat him and everybody thought he was being quite crazy as well.

My boss hasn’t spoken with me or my team since. Its absolutely crazy. :psyduck:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Two weeks ago we had the entire marketing and sales department over for three days of training. That’s 60 extra people in our lab.

The morning after they left my coworker and I see a huge mess out and we clean it up and I post a message on slack basically saying “Hey guys, what the gently caress, this is unacceptable please cleanup after yourselves.” Another guy even chimes in and says “yeah, I had to keep cleaning the bathroom all day as well.”

Then my other coworkers start coming in and they say stuff is missing. Then we realize there was a break in because the door magnets aren’t strong enough and you can just rip the door open.

So on slack I post “Hey, our drawers were rifled through and stuff was stolen, this is bad.”

My boss calls me an hour later screaming that I was accusing the sales team of stealing, which is insane for a number of reasons. He then said “don’t talk about this incident in slack anymore!” And hung up on me. He was loud enough for my coworkers to heat him and everybody thought he was being quite crazy as well.

Sounds like a guilty conscience. Check his desk for the missing things.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

quote:

"[German phone hacker] Karsten Nohl showed that Samsung was faking device updates last year," Turner said. "Stop buying their stuff."

Yeah, this doesn't feel particularly likely, dude.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: the best they say they can do on a conversion from a $35/hr contract is $53,500 per year, with a 5% annual bonus except like 99% of bonuses it's a mix of company and personal performance so lol at counting on that being more than enough to buy a coffee.

Yeah, you're absolutely being hosed. Cost for you before was almost certainly >$100k/yr to the agency. Likely $120+ :(

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Definitely. Wouldn't be surprised if it was 140k. But I got 5.5 hours of studying for the AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate exam done on the clock last night, and I would do it again tonight but I forgot my laptop charger and none of the ones at the office fit. Hopefully by the end of the month I'll be ready to take the exam and start tossing out resumes. Between Boulder, Denver, and remote, I should be able to find something in fairly short order.

I'll listen if my current company wants to offer me a position on the AWS team, but if they try to dick me around with a well under market offer I'm not taking it. Or maybe I would take it and keep looking.

E: gently caress it, I'm spending the next two hours (barring the time I have tickets that need handling) watching the stuff that doesn't need lab work.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 10, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ratbert90 posted:

Email the matter on to Security or InfoSec, along with the Director for your department. They should love a potential breach of a sensitive area.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

But Doctor, I am InfoSec!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
“... and all the Salesmen and Marketing will look up and shout: 'Save us!'. And I'll look down and whisper: 'No.”

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Email the matter on to Security or InfoSec, along with the Director for your department. They should love a potential breach of a sensitive area.

The police caught the burglar yesterday breaking into another building in Pasadena. So it really wasn’t the sales or marketing team. Not that I thought they stole anything to begin with. It’s just really odd my Boss would think I was accusing all 60 people of collectively banding together to leave a mess and steal from us. :psyduck:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Definitely. Wouldn't be surprised if it was 140k. But I got 5.5 hours of studying for the AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate exam done on the clock last night, and I would do it again tonight but I forgot my laptop charger and none of the ones at the office fit. Hopefully by the end of the month I'll be ready to take the exam and start tossing out resumes. Between Boulder, Denver, and remote, I should be able to find something in fairly short order.

I'll listen if my current company wants to offer me a position on the AWS team, but if they try to dick me around with a well under market offer I'm not taking it. Or maybe I would take it and keep looking.

I dont know that the AWS SA exam is some magical ticket to money land. At least in my area, I didnt really see AWS listed in a whole lot of jobs. I suppose it depends on the industry you're trying to work in though.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
So who in Marketing/Sales is your boss terrified of

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

klosterdev posted:

So who in Marketing/Sales is your boss terrified of

the toilet cleaning guy

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

People were discussing creating a map showing which counties in our state that patients came from for different needs.

I piped up and said "You should be able to just get the GIS data and draw it with Python pretty easily"

The other day I installed Anaconda and had a proof of concept going pretty quickly.

Then came the data...first off it's from an exec so its a PIVOT TABLE

Second problem is they have counties that don't exist...and they are missing counties that do exist. So tweak tweak tweak by hand. Why can't we fill out the CSV template like I asked?

Now we're picking colors over and over.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Don't you only need like 4 colors to ensure no two spots share a color?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I dont know that the AWS SA exam is some magical ticket to money land. At least in my area, I didnt really see AWS listed in a whole lot of jobs. I suppose it depends on the industry you're trying to work in though.

There seems to be a shitload (hundreds) of postings that come up in a search for it in my area, and even more when I search for remote, so hopefully a few dozen out of those will be attainable without like 5-8 years in AWS, considering it seems like AWS has boomed quite a bit over the last 5 years.

I do live in the Denver/Boulder area, which isn't NYC, the Bay Area, or Austin, but is a pretty big tech area, so that might have to do with it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

:confused: *walks into office*
:confused: We need a way to get all of our employees cell numbers out of our HR system so that we can send them emergency text messages
:allears: Sure, $APIintegrationProject isn't ready yet, but it would be easy to run a query for that specific info
:confused: No, I don't want you to have to change gears to do that
:allears: Ok, well there is $otherIntegrationTool, you can pull the data out with that.
:confused: No, I tried that and got an error message
:allears: Ok, $BITool can do that, any of the analysts would be able to spit out a report in 20 minutes
:confused: No, I don't like the way that looks
:confused: I'm just going to have to do it by hand
:confused: *walks out of office*
:fuckoff:

:confused: is my bosses boss and is a "Digital Strategy" VP and shouldn't even be dicking around with this poo poo in the first place.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Now we're picking colors over and over.

Reminds me of the story I heard from my workplace- we were doing a website redesign for a client awhile back and the committee couldn't agree on a color scheme for the website.

The "compromise" was each of the four members of the committee would pick a single color and those four colors would be the color scheme.

Wasn't sat in for that meeting so the story could have just been exaggerated, but given that the designer generally put out solid work for the time, and that the resulting design (that they approved!) ended up looking like bloody vomit, I'm inclined to believe it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Did SA really add a floating goatse link? What the gently caress.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

Did SA really add a floating goatse link? What the gently caress.

My eyes

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Don't you only need like 4 colors to ensure no two spots share a color?

It's a color per amount. So 1-5 is a color, 6-10...

And it has to be some eye pleasing gradient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bob Morales posted:

And it has to be some eye pleasing gradient

As someone who is colorblind, tell those mandating this to go gently caress themselves. Eye pleasing color gradients are why i can't read things like a precipitation map or basically any infographic.