Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I like the German version.

"Get your kopilotenass in here, we're about to take off"

And here's an alt card someone made for that card that has a woman on it with clothes on :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Dang, that's a lot of responses for FCM online! Alright so we've got...

-me
-CommonShore (possibly)
-Kashuno
-Kruller (Monday)
-angel opportunity (weekend)
-Papes

Who all could do tomorrow at like 9-9:30pm CST? Then maybe a Sunday session and Monday, as well? I'm thinking maybe 1-3 games, depending on how many players we have. When we had 3 players we managed 3 games in about 3 hours, but I'm guessing with more people it'll increase the time exponentially. Monday I've probably got to do it like early afternoon since I'm seeing The Revolution while they're touring, but that's at 8pm CST.

Kruller, I'm probably not the best person to try to teach the game since I've only played two games online, but I can certainly try to explain it! If you find the rules on like BGG and maybe dig one of the (albeit poorly made) intro videos to it on Youtube you should have a general idea of the gameplay. angel opportunity and CommonShore were the two cats I played my first games with and they definitely know their poo poo, so if they end up in a game I'll defer to them to explain if they're cool with that.

Friday night should work for me if I'm feeling better. Sunday is board game night and Monday is board game playtesting so I won't be around for either of those

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

canyoneer posted:

And here's an alt card someone made for that card that has a woman on it with clothes on :monocle:

I have never needed a German translation x-wing card more than at this moment.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thespaceinvader posted:

Guess someone already has ASSROT.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I thought Brewcrafters was worse than Agricola.

Also Runewars Miniatures might be worth a look, board gamers are enjoying it.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

LongDarkNight posted:

Anyone get the Terra Mystica app yet, any thoughts?

For my group, it's a buggy mess so far. We had one player use the spade action on his bonus card to terraform a yellow hex to brown but still got charged three workers for it (and the card became marked as used). We've had multiple times where people haven't been able to take their turn or the turns haven't synced up properly. And right now we had two players pass, but then when I passed it showed both the others as still having their original bonus cards and I couldn't pick either of them. Then the round ended and one of those other players now doesn't have any bonus card at all (possibly because the game let me pick the same card that he had already picked)! So yeah.

The design of the app seems really nice, just buggy. At least in multiplayer anyway. We're also playing cross platform, so that may be making things worse? No idea.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 20, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

thespaceinvader posted:

Chill la Chill posted:

Guess someone already has ASSROT.

Mmmm hmm!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
So that's like Red Eight or something?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Red Ace, I assume.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Late notice but anyone want to play FCM online starting at 11pm EST, finish the game tonight.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just finished a game of Feast, 3p.

I started with the bean farmer as my initial occ, which does the following:

at any time, you may trade 2 beans (2x2 orange) for a peas (1x2 orange), a mead (1x2 red), and a fish (1x3 red).

Went for whaling boat, shetland to get an extra bean bonus, then heavy houses and filled up my home board with all the big stuff from whaling.

Long story short, bean farmer turned the insane number of beans I got from going heavy houses/shetland into extremely easy to place food for said houses. It felt really, really powerful. Anyone have any experience with this occ? I won with a respectable 127, but it felt stronger than that.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Runebound is getting a coop/solo mode expansion.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/12/unbreakable-bonds/

Sounds like they are trying to cash in on the coop trends and Gloomhaven success?

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
So how do you guys introduce The Colonists to people? I have played it solo, but don't really know how I would go about a first game with others.

Do you use the intro campaign? That seems a bit short for me, not really catching the proper game. I was thinking maybe 2 eras with the setup form the intro game?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

So has anyone experienced gloomhaven? I'd like to get a copy just for solo gaming. Right now mageknight gets all my solo play love.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

lordsummerisle posted:

So how do you guys introduce The Colonists to people? I have played it solo, but don't really know how I would go about a first game with others.

Do you use the intro campaign? That seems a bit short for me, not really catching the proper game. I was thinking maybe 2 eras with the setup form the intro game?

Just play two eras. The complexity in The Colonists comes from planning ahead, not the mechanics. I've introduced plenty of people to it that way and lost to them as well.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Gameko posted:

So has anyone experienced gloomhaven? I'd like to get a copy just for solo gaming. Right now mageknight gets all my solo play love.

I have played it a bit now, with two different groups in the same world. I love it to death, and I come from playing Mage Knight. Mage Knight is definitely tighter in the puzzles it creates. Gloomhaven is more swingy and ameritrashy, but still far more engaging mentally than Descent and the others.The main card play mechanic is brilliant, forcing you to make tough decisions, but also adapt to your opponents (and your friends) acting differently than you expected. This lack of perfect information makes it feel more random and less determined than MK. Your class deck also lets the classes really feel different, compared to other dungeon crawls where I often feel they are slight variations on each other. Customizing these decks through leveling makes the characters come more to life.

The AI deck is truly amazing, making the different monsters feel really unique and thematic. This is, however, where the randomness in the game really comes from. Sure there is a "dice deck", but if you play well, the RNG from it will usually not doom you. The AI deck, however, can really make a match a cakewalk or a nightmare based on the draws and what the enemy is doing at the time. Some enemies can kill themselves without you not doing anything. I find this hilarious, others might find this bad game design. It fits thematically, though.

Setup is a bitch, and I just leave the board out a few days at a time, because I can.

I love it, and everyone I play it with wants to play more. It is not perfect, but it brings a dungeon crawley experience I always wanted, but never got. (Mage Knight gives me more of a power leveling HOMM feel than a dungeon crawl feel).

Solo might really tax your brain the first few games, because you will be learning and co-ordinating 2 completely different classes. I think this will change over time, and you could probably introduce a 3rd character after 10 plays or so, if you feel comfortable.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Alright roll call, who's down for Food Chain Magnate tonight at 9:30pm CST?

Might be closer to 9:45, my place is wrecked from having people over last night, ha.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Typesetting war crimes.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
How is runebound as far as the "tell yourself a story on a map" genre goes

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Banana Man posted:

How is runebound as far as the "tell yourself a story on a map" genre goes

Extremely bad. Talisman bad.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

canyoneer posted:

I seriously cannot be the only person who calls this Hot poo poo Co-Pilot...

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Johnny Truant posted:

Might be closer to 9:45, my place is wrecked from having people over last night, ha.

I likely will be down but cannot 100% commit at this time. Hopefully you can get other people in and I'll just join in.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Anyone played 'High Treason : The Trial of Louis Riel' ?

It seems to have high recommendations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm still pretty sick but if I'm awake I'm in

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Johnny Truant posted:

If it was a tad earlier I would be in but I have plans at 10:30 cst.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Looks like FCM may not happen tonight, but we'll just play it by ear then! I'll post in the thread before I bike home, probably like 8:30pm, and we'll just go from there.

If it happens, cool beans, if not, ain't no thang but a chicken wang.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tekopo posted:

No but I have a healthy curiosity about it. I had a chance to pick it up but couldn't really make heads or tails of what to really expect at a short look and passed it up at the time. I don't think I have a 2nd player who'd be very interested :(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I just ordered it so might give it a whirl/do a PBP for it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tekopo posted:

I just ordered it too.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

It's yet another entry into the very crowded "game made from a historical courtroom trial" market so I will be interested to read what you think of it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Also I'm :canada: & required by law to be interested in a Riel trial game.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Papes posted:

If it was a tad earlier I would be in but I have plans at 10:30 cst.

I might be able to swing it a bit earlier, gonna have to play that by ear. I've got a birthday dinner to go to that I honestly really don't want to attend, but :sigh: I have already committed to it. Probably just pop in for a drink then go home. I'm so goddamn lethargic, I'm like :420: hungover right now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Truant posted:

I might be able to swing it a bit earlier, gonna have to play that by ear. I've got a birthday dinner to go to that I honestly really don't want to attend, but :sigh: I have already committed to it. Probably just pop in for a drink then go home. I'm so goddamn lethargic, I'm like :420: hungover right now.

Someone just make a skype group

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

CommonShore posted:

Someone just make a skype group

We already have a discord

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

Extremely bad. Talisman bad.

Talisman is better, it has more expansions.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Papes posted:

We already have a discord

Can you invite me? Johnny Truant #8594, if you need email to invite just let me know.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tekopo posted:

It seems extremely interesting, but a simple reddit search brings up a drama bomb. Looks like designer Alex Berry has no idea how to respond to negative criticism over the internet. I wish I hadn't looked deeper into the game, since the initial reviews hyped me up.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
btw what is BGC if we aren't gonna play tonight I might set something up instead~

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kashuno posted:

btw what is BGC if we aren't gonna play tonight I might set something up instead~

Err, say what now?

Also if anybody wants to set up any asynchronous games, I'm down, as well! Never played them but it's gotta help my FCM strategy at least a little bit, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

lordsummerisle posted:

I have played it a bit now, with two different groups in the same world. I love it to death, and I come from playing Mage Knight. Mage Knight is definitely tighter in the puzzles it creates. Gloomhaven is more swingy and ameritrashy, but still far more engaging mentally than Descent and the others.The main card play mechanic is brilliant, forcing you to make tough decisions, but also adapt to your opponents (and your friends) acting differently than you expected. This lack of perfect information makes it feel more random and less determined than MK. Your class deck also lets the classes really feel different, compared to other dungeon crawls where I often feel they are slight variations on each other. Customizing these decks through leveling makes the characters come more to life.

The AI deck is truly amazing, making the different monsters feel really unique and thematic. This is, however, where the randomness in the game really comes from. Sure there is a "dice deck", but if you play well, the RNG from it will usually not doom you. The AI deck, however, can really make a match a cakewalk or a nightmare based on the draws and what the enemy is doing at the time. Some enemies can kill themselves without you not doing anything. I find this hilarious, others might find this bad game design. It fits thematically, though.

Setup is a bitch, and I just leave the board out a few days at a time, because I can.

I love it, and everyone I play it with wants to play more. It is not perfect, but it brings a dungeon crawley experience I always wanted, but never got. (Mage Knight gives me more of a power leveling HOMM feel than a dungeon crawl feel).

Solo might really tax your brain the first few games, because you will be learning and co-ordinating 2 completely different classes. I think this will change over time, and you could probably introduce a 3rd character after 10 plays or so, if you feel comfortable.

Strong recommend for Gloomhaven if you're at all into dungeon crawlers. It's got a wonderful, meaty, tactical engine, which, contrary to lordsummerisle, I feel is a lot less random than Mage Knight. I know you can play cards sideways to mitigate against getting screwed on one element or another of MK, but in my experience, I'm much more likely to have a situation in MK where I can't meaningfully move the ball forward than in Gloomhaven (although it is slightly mitigated by the fact that in Gloomhaven, there are turns where I'm resting, but my allies are moving ahead). The dice decks are actually an amazing bit of game technology, in that they allow for controlled randomness and character modification in a super-intuitive way. The monster decks are great, and really help to make the various critters feel different, although I'd say that I wish the AI targeting priorities changed from monster to monster, though it does help to make taking something you can actually do. Agree w/r/t the Ameritrashiness, though. There's a lot of fiddly components to keep track of, and it's easy to forget a modifier here and an element there. Doing it solo will be a huge challenge, but it's a great experience.