Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The chins don't get the spray lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Plavski posted:

yeah, but Gerald Ford's reputation tanked after he pardoned Nixon, so if Trump pardons himself and his families, he'll lose the huge amount of respect he's built up with the american people

:hmbol:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

If cameras were barred then how is there a photo of them?

https://news.vice.com/story/rogue-reporter-breaks-trump-white-house-rule-against-live-recordings?utm_source=vicefbus

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Trump's long time personal lawyer has resigned lol

quote:

Ty Cobb will now take the lead in managing the team’s response to the ongoing federal probe into alleged ties between the Trump campaign and Russian election meddling.

Of course an old wife beating racist will take over

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...

Mr.Tophat posted:

Whoah, that's incredible! Is there any precedent for this? Can anyone else confirm that this is true?

:munch:

It works off the same principle as giving someone immunity does to get them to testify. It's usually done as a deal, but technically speaking a prosecutor can give someone immunity and force them to talk or face charges of contempt of court and such.

Majere posted:

What does it matter if the entire trump clan has to tell the truth about all these alleged crimes? If predisent pissbaby can pardon himself and everyone else all willy nilly, they all walk free?

He can, but here's how it would have to go down. He pardons his family and everyone involved. The Senate calls everyone before them to testify now that they can no longer be prosecuted for their testimony. They have three options: They can lie, and get thrown in jail for perjury or Contempt of Congress, not really sure which. They can refuse to speak anyway and get thrown in jail for Contempt of Congress. They can tell the truth.

I'd give odds that they'd either lie their asses off or refuse to speak because it's all FAKE NEWS anyway. Then Trump, idiot pissbaby that he is, pardons them for their Contempt of Congress.

Now, I entirely agree that the Republicans are going to do gently caress all to Trump in most cases because they don't give a poo poo about ethics or rules. But in my opinion this would be different. This would be Trump directly challenging the power of the Senate and congress itself, and that is something I don't think they'd stand for because it threatens them directly. Seriously, if they allowed that precedent a future Democratic president (:lol:) could do the same thing.

But really, who doesn't want to see the uproar that Donny boy repeatedly pardoning his entire family would cause?

Edit: Forgot one more thing. A presidential pardon does not prevent someone from being impeached/removed from office, only from criminal liability. I'm not sure if it prevents civil liability. What I really think would happen if he did this was it'd give the Republicans the excuse they need to kick his rear end out and give it to Pence, who I'm sure they'd be much happier with.

Lando131 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 21, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
From that vice article posted earlier:

lol

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Cheech Marinade posted:

From that vice article posted earlier:

lol

His hands are way too big and tie is not long enough

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
President Trump is undoubtedly a man who likes his bullet points, but Axios reports that six months into his term, the U.S. commander-in-chief still can't pay attention through a national security briefing. "Can you believe this guy?" Trump has reportedly joked as his national security adviser, H.R. McMaster, was talking.

McMaster is normally "crisp, linear, [and] dry," Axios adds, but has recently "started to adjust by making shorter points and [speaking in] a more colloquial tone" — that is, he's getting better at communicating in Trumpese. But even still, "Trump likes to be discursive and will frequently turn to others or meander into other subjects while McMaster is briefing him," Axios reports.

That might not be encouraging news to 76 percent of Americans who think the United States is going to enter a "major war" in the next four years.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/713484/trumps-national-security-briefings-are-reportedly-mess

Literal idiot king.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

The chins don't get the spray lol

Exhibit A: The superior race

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i think trumpish works better than trumpese

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Careful Drums posted:

trumpiss

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Title 18 code 20346 of the constitution bars the persecution of a man and his lawyer for the same crime. Look it up

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

mono posted:

His hands are way too big and tie is not long enough

swear to god, the tie length was the very first thing i noticed

what have we become

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lime Tonics posted:

President Trump is undoubtedly a man who likes his bullet points, but Axios reports that six months into his term, the U.S. commander-in-chief still can't pay attention through a national security briefing. "Can you believe this guy?" Trump has reportedly joked as his national security adviser, H.R. McMaster, was talking.

McMaster is normally "crisp, linear, [and] dry," Axios adds, but has recently "started to adjust by making shorter points and [speaking in] a more colloquial tone" — that is, he's getting better at communicating in Trumpese. But even still, "Trump likes to be discursive and will frequently turn to others or meander into other subjects while McMaster is briefing him," Axios reports.

That might not be encouraging news to 76 percent of Americans who think the United States is going to enter a "major war" in the next four years.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/713484/trumps-national-security-briefings-are-reportedly-mess

Literal idiot king.

By the end of this presidency, everyone in Trump's circle will just be communicating in short grunts and hand gestures.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Plavski posted:

yeah, but Gerald Ford's reputation tanked after he pardoned Nixon, so if Trump pardons himself and his families, he'll lose the huge amount of respect he's built up with the american people

LOL

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can someone remind me what the original speech was?

Also, the NYT had this image as part of an opinion piece and I thought it was pretty cool:

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Can someone remind me what the original speech was?

Also, the NYT had this image as part of an opinion piece and I thought it was pretty cool:

abortion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZOyxfiNoU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

flashy_mcflash posted:

hand gestures.

:jerkbag:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Careful Drums posted:

Trumpesque

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Trump bumbling into a major war would probably lead to his caretakers putting him in front of a PC with Command& Conquer 1, telling him that the future of the western world now rests on his shoulders, then get go get some coffee and make out in the broom closet.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Mr.Tophat posted:

Whoah, that's incredible! Is there any precedent for this? Can anyone else confirm that this is true?

:munch:

It's never come up before, because no president has been this corrupt or inept. I'm paraphrasing a WaPo article, but the school of thought is that if he did self-pardon it would immediately be tested by the Supreme Court. The other, by actual Constitutional scholars, is that a presidential pardon can only be given to other people.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Trump bumbling into a major war would probably lead to his caretakers putting him in front of a PC with Command& Conquer 1, telling him that the future of the western world now rests on his shoulders, then get go get some coffee and make out in the broom closet.

People, listen to this. Not a lot of folks know this, but one of the most important resources our troops need is Vespine gas. Now China is adding reactors and tech labs to their barracks. I'm going to put our SCVs back to work! So many jobs harvesting clean American crystals and gas. I made a lot of money dealing against China. The generals told me they are switching our Firebats to digital, I told them no, no you need to be a rocket surgeon for that. Digital. We

cnut
May 3, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

red19fire posted:

It's never come up before, because no president has been this corrupt or inept.

The Founding Fathers were able to imagine a president as terrible as Trump and put in safeguards, they just couldn't comprehend him also having a sympathetic congress.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

People, listen to this. Not a lot of folks know this, but one of the most important resources our troops need is Vespine gas. Now China is adding reactors and tech labs to their barracks. I'm going to put our SCVs back to work! So many jobs harvesting clean American crystals and gas. I made a lot of money dealing against China. The generals told me they are switching our Firebats to digital, I told them no, no you need to be a rocket surgeon for that. Digital. We

Trump announces strategic partnership with Kane and construction of new hotel in NOD as fighting in Riga intensifies and 27 NATO soldiers lose their lives

Lol, this going to be a real headline one day. You KNOW it

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Trump announces strategic partnership with Kane and construction of new hotel in NOD as fighting in Riga intensifies and 27 NATO soldiers lose their lives

Lol, this going to be a real headline one day. You KNOW it

"You know what tyberium is, right? It’s this thing called scorpion tanks. And other things. Like lots of things are done with tyberium. Including some bad things. But nobody talks about that.”

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
america dead, so what?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Moola posted:

america dead, so what?

Let's make it great again

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why is the topic of Russian adoption seemingly always coming up? Is this an important issue that I'm unaware of?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Let's make it great again

Sure thing just as soon as our retard president resigns, dies, or is impeached.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

Why is the topic of Russian adoption seemingly always coming up? Is this an important issue that I'm unaware of?

It's an evasive way of admitting they were discussing a quid pro quo over sanctions.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/the-big-idea/2017/7/21/16005500/adoption-russia-us-orphans-abuse-trump

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/888394642206707712
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/888394494814683136
https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/888392545323102209

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I feel like the discourse was more honest and vital when Buckley was threatening to hit Vidal in the face. I think he would have been disgusted with all the cartoon frogs and anime furry degenerates now.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Some background:

Russia has a comically large amount of orphans and its orphanages are hellholes straight out of Dickens novel. If you want to adopt a white child Russia is the go to address.

Some years ago, Russia put an adoption embargo on the US during some retarded pissing match. It was pretty much the only thing they could do to hurt the US with.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Who gives a crap about ugly Russian babies, American babies first. We

moosetoucher
Jul 11, 2017

heck. heckin heck.

red19fire posted:

It's never come up before, because no president has been this corrupt or inept. I'm paraphrasing a WaPo article, but the school of thought is that if he did self-pardon it would immediately be tested by the Supreme Court. The other, by actual Constitutional scholars, is that a presidential pardon can only be given to other people.

https://www.trumpconlaw.com

Trump can also give out official pardons in tweet format

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jukebox Hero posted:

Who gives a crap about ugly Russian babies, American babies first. We

Your dumb redneck country doesn't have enough mothers dying from heroin overdose and leaving their children to the state to cover demand. Also not enough alcoholic fathers beating their kids half-dead or ending up in prison for life.

But you are working on that with Trump's election, so MAGA

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

moosetoucher posted:

Trump can also give out official pardons in tweet format

it will almost be worth the final, shuddering collapse of the rule of law to see him do just that