Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Godholio posted:

They're literally talking about building something that's going to weigh several thousand pounds more than a Huey to have 3-6x the range of a Huey.

This is what we get for giving them a STOVL fifth-gen fighter for CAS.

Where are you getting the weight from? You are just dead set to pan this thing and apparently have 0 experience reading RFPs.

The electronics are all fielded on another UAS that are in service within the Marines, albeit in various configurations. They want to consolidate the electronics and missions to 1 platform instead of 3.

To compensate they are allowing the airframe to grow basically >2x in every dimension.

As they now have a larger vehicle they want a more powerful engine and also with the larger volume a higher fuel capacity.

The airspeed requested is less than other fielded rotary winged craft in service.

Yes, the range is much greater but also, no people on board, no people support systems, no tons of other crap.

It's basically an AH-1Z stripped down to just an electronics package stripped out of 3 other vehicles with extra fuel stores and unmanned. It's hardly an affront to common decency and the primacy of the USAF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nucken Futz posted:

Is there any questions I should be asking this very nice man?

Not specifically, but if he tells you any stories...

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

An interesting article on the current condition of Pilots in the US AirForce
https://www.jqpublicblog.com/punching-out-latest-dear-boss-letter-decries-air-forces-lack-of-true-leadership/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nucken Futz posted:

I was talking to this old dude after our football (soccer) kick-around today, he's in his late 70's I guess, maybe in his early 80's. Anyways, he's telling me that he's originally from the old Czechoslovakia and that he was in their Air force.
He says he was a MiG-15 Pilot.

Does the MiG-15 try to kill you every moment from strapping in to opening the canopy like the MiG-21 does?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

Does the MiG-15 try to kill you every moment from strapping in to opening the canopy like the MiG-21 does?

Maybe not quite as much, but when Yeager flew one for evaluation, he noted that at the edge it was way more unforgiving of a screwup than the Saber.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Murgos posted:

Where are you getting the weight from? You are just dead set to pan this thing and apparently have 0 experience reading RFPs.

Because I'm a former radar guy and now I work on an EW range and we actually had Fire Scouts here testing some poo poo out a few weeks back. You're drat right I'm dead set to pan this thing.
They're asking to load hardware on a Bell 407 that typically takes a large fixed-wing platform to carry, and to have it do so while getting magician-levels of loiter time. I know how big that EW pod is. I know how big the radar they want to fit on here is. I can make an educated guess how much electrical power this platform is going to need, and they
are
loving
bonkers.

Edit: Also, it's to support mission sets the USMC frankly has no business claiming. Certainly not from their minicarriers.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 16, 2018

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Nucken Futz posted:

I was talking to this old dude after our football (soccer) kick-around today, he's in his late 70's I guess, maybe in his early 80's. Anyways, he's telling me that he's originally from the old Czechoslovakia and that he was in their Air force.
He says he was a MiG-15 Pilot.

With the cramped cockpits in the early jet fighters how did they manage to fit in his giant loving balls?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

Because I'm a former radar guy and now I work on an EW range and we actually had Fire Scouts here testing some poo poo out a few weeks back. You're drat right I'm dead set to pan this thing.
They're asking to load hardware on a Bell 407 that typically takes a large fixed-wing platform to carry, and to have it do so while getting magician-levels of loiter time. I know how big that EW pod is. I know how big the radar they want to fit on here is. I can make an educated guess how much electrical power this platform is going to need, and they
are
loving
bonkers.

Edit: Also, it's to support mission sets the USMC frankly has no business claiming. Certainly not from their minicarriers.

Getting the required loiter times at the combat radius they specify with an unmanned VTOL aircraft with absolutely ZERO PAYLOAD would be a loving accomplishment. The full RFP requirements are a fever dream.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

MrYenko posted:

Getting the required loiter times at the combat radius they specify with an unmanned VTOL aircraft with absolutely ZERO PAYLOAD would be a loving accomplishment. The full RFP requirements are a fever dream.

They have successfully hijacked an entire fighter program from the Navy, Air Force, 5 eyes nations and NATO. Who wouldn't be a little ballsy in their shoes?

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 16, 2018

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Forget the radar and suchlike, just getting a helicopter, any helicopter, to have a combat radius of 350nmi at 300 knots is absurd. Even V-22s fly 275 knots and have a combat radius of 390nmi. No conventional helicopter can do something like that.

e: beaten

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 16, 2018

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Polyakov posted:

Seizeing a few putinite oligarchs houses in London

Read that as "poutine oligarch" and now I'm just grooving on the idea of controlling the world's supply of gravy covered fries.

this is from a few pages ago, but what if I told you it could be both at the same time?

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Poutine

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

bennyfactor posted:

this is from a few pages ago, but what if I told you it could be both at the same time?

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Poutine

The French pronunciation of "Putin" would sound like a French word for "whore", so yeah, in French you want the transliteration of Путин that looks like Canadian food.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Godholio posted:

are
loving
bonkers.

Install a tiny nuclear reactor!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Install a tiny nuclear reactor!

Project Puto :ese:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arglebargle III posted:

So apparently McMaster came out as a hawk on Russia today and coincidentally McMaster is being fired.

I......:allbuttons:

Are you trolling me

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nebakenezzer posted:

I......:allbuttons:

Are you trolling me

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/15/hr-mcmaster-russia-syria-crime-punishment-465841

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

McMaster's supposedly staying where he is for now.

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/974468508074565632

Though, if he wants to stay in the Army he'll have to be promoted to four-star by July 2019, so if he gets a promotion he'll leave National Security Advisor and get a post doing something else.

Also, Pompeo's a pretty big hawk on Russia, so if you want to say that's disqualifier in Trump's eyes, it would seem to conflict with the fact that he's moving Pompeo to Secretary of State. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-13/pompeo-in-his-own-words-on-iran-russia-and-spying-on-allies

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Or it wouldn't conflict at all because as the Director of the CIA he's in a much better position to be a hawk on Russia. As Secretary of State he's a diplomat first and a spy second, and he serves entirely at the pleasure of the president.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Who else is he gonna put at state? Fuxking Bolton?

The wapo sources (loving 5 of them) all said it wasn’t going to be immediate, so of course the WH can now furiously backpedal and deny deny deny.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

evil_bunnY posted:

Who else is he gonna put at state? Fuxking Bolton?

Uh yeah, he's actually being brought up as a front runner for the job.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Without getting too D&D in here,
  • there is a significant degree of reverse psychology going on between the admin and the press, and the reporting on the potential McMaster/Kelly firings has given them a stay of execution at least for now. It would seem that they aren't being fired after all.
  • The planned firing probably wasn't about Russia, at least not directly. Apparently it's more that Trump has figured out he can fire people who tell him "no" and those two have been at the forefront of shooting down the good idea fairy.
  • I'd argue you can get away with being anti-Russia pretty easily in this administration seeing as Nikki Haley's been taking a hard stance for a while and hasn't been hassled.
  • The affinity for Russia is still present, weird, and disconcerting

Also Bolton has been a top contender for secstate in the past but I think Pompeo's getting the nod, isn't he?

e: typo

e2: lol way beaten

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 16, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Uh yeah, he's actually being brought up as a front runner for the job.
Hahahaha oh lawd that’ll teach me.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm surprised Haley didn't get State, she's almost as effective a Trump Whisperer as Hicks was

unless, God help us, she's being held in reserve for the next supreme court opening

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I doubt Haley wants it. (State, that is)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

evil_bunnY posted:

Hahahaha oh lawd that’ll teach me.

Never assume that Trump won't put the absolute worst person possible in every position when he gets a chance, or that they'll last more than a year.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mnuchin will be replaced with Mooch so he doesn't have to learn another name

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nebakenezzer posted:

:getin:

For any sorta surveillance mission, an airship drone would be p. good

Unfortunately, while I think you could stage a modern-style airship off a Marine heli-carrier, they'd be pretty big, so every time one lands it'd severely crimp carrier ops until it went airborn again

Of course, if you were fine with that, why not just do it the old fashioned way and have a tender and a good ol fashioned docking mast

I mean, it's obviously an egregious waste to have a ship who's main purpose is to service airship drones

But I'm being honest here, I still think it would be better money spent than wanting to invent the drone that does literally everything

Page late but theyre really really bad because theyre not survivable at all. (And other reasons) We had them off the coast of Florida and regular ol' drug dealers shot them down. Its been tried before (LEMV most recently unless you count JLENS) and it definitely sucks.

EDIT:
http://aviationweek.com/blog/airship-programs-not-so-buoyant-says-gao

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 16, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CarForumPoster posted:

Page late but theyre really really bad because theyre not survivable at all. (And other reasons) We had them off the coast of Florida and regular ol' drug dealers shot them down. Its been tried before (LEMV most recently unless you count JLENS) and it definitely sucks.

EDIT:
http://aviationweek.com/blog/airship-programs-not-so-buoyant-says-gao

lol there is that

I figure the Marines would notice that once the ship was built and the drones in the prototype stage, and that would lead to a survivable airship program for about $20 billion or so

waves hands in Chris Roberts-ian fashion "lasers or some other active defense"

Seriously though, I figured if you made shitloads of cheap airship drones one getting shot down wouldn't matter - it would in fact be a signal that "bad guy be here". This is totally against the grain of defense, I know. (I forgot about the ISIS. First, wow guys, unfortunate name. Also LockMart's plan was....ambitious. First, let's make a long endurance airship that flies really really high, and then, let's save weight by making the skin of the pressure cells also function as the sensors. Gee, what could possibly go wrong?) Also since my 'sperg powers are activated, I gotta point out that Florida had aerosats, not a proper airship in any description, merely a tethered balloon with sensors.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Anyone want to buy a Draken?
http://www.platinumfighters.com/draken

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Huh.

Guess I'll have to go check that lotto ticket.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Mortabis posted:

Forget the radar and suchlike, just getting a helicopter, any helicopter, to have a combat radius of 350nmi at 300 knots is absurd. Even V-22s fly 275 knots and have a combat radius of 390nmi. No conventional helicopter can do something like that.

e: beaten

It’s not like there’s some physical barrier that prevents a helicopter from having a long range or endurance, it’s just that you’d usually use a fixed wing aircraft for that kind of job if you needed it because it’s a lot easier to stay in the air that long with a higher L/D. But flying fuel tanks like the A160 have been built with endurances in the range of 20 hours. There’s no fundamental barrier, it’s just that the payload weight fraction will be poor compared to a long endurance fixed wing vehicle. Not to say that I think the USMC’s RFP is a good idea.

Vertical has a new pilot report on flying the Mi-24.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Sure you could have ferry tanks but they also want this helicopter to be fast.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

:fap:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Counterpoint:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Counterpoint:

F-16.net > Discussion Forums > Off Topic > Exercise and Outdoors > before and after pics from 1 year of my exercise regimen

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Some losers don't wanna build that muscle, I get it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
“Lost all my gains though”

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Synthoil: not even once.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

priznat posted:

Skydrol: not even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

F-16s with CFTs and upgraded sensors can't help make me think of Deadpool. It'll kick your rear end, but it's all covered in tumors.