Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

If I were looking for a new adventure to run in the nearish future, I'd at least consider it. But it is very highly priced for what it is. I can only assume most of that cost is wrapped up in physical props ( It looked like you got a white dragon scale that was to scale from the stream? ) and miniatures.

This reminds me a lot of the special edition of Rise of the Runelords that Pathfinder did: http://paizo.com/products/btpy8tg1

They didn't do any other ones like that though, which begs the question, is there just no that much of a market for this?

I earnestly hope that there is no market for $500 dollars in supplies to play pretend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gumball Gumption posted:

I earnestly hope that there is no market for $500 dollars in supplies to play pretend.

Are you kidding me? I know folks who easily drop that much in minis and terrain for a campaign.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah but those are easily reused for other stuff. I don't know if the 500 dollar box is the same.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, those are reusable and honestly kind of ridiculous on their own. I get the appeal but just use your imagination. The bulk of this box appears to be pictures of monsters and a nicer binding on the books or something. Either way the amount of "luxury" products for talking about dragons is dumb.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Isn’t this product for 5th e where bards are by far the most useful class?

Bards in 5e are great but they've never been bad in any edition.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Let's be honest, being able to cast spells puts you above all the martial classes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So the Giant Elk has a Charge that can prone the target, and another attack that only works on prone targets. Since the first thing a prone target will do is stand up, isn’t that sort of useless?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I dunno, depending on the number and quality of the maps, the number and quality of the minis, and whether or not they're helping you at all (like, at least with standees or token discs) with the stuff that isn't important enough for minis ... I think it'd be cool.

It's $450 more than I'd ever drop for similar, mind you, but it does look like a helpful thing to have for an adventure you'll spend a year playing.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Subjunctive posted:

So the Giant Elk has a Charge that can prone the target, and another attack that only works on prone targets. Since the first thing a prone target will do is stand up, isn’t that sort of useless?

Add a second giant elk.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Conspiratiorist posted:

Add a second giant elk.

I can only turn into one at a time. :smith:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Let me tell you about a passion project named Invisible Sun. It's full of overpriced, pretentious bullshit and yet people still paid money for it because Monte Cook's name was on it.

This is merely the addons list. A copy of the core game cost nearly two hundred dollars, which to normal people like you and I sounds real stiff but to Monte's fanbase (primed by a blog entry entreating playgroups to buy more poo poo for their GMs) was apparently just fine.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 13, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NGDBSS posted:

Let me tell you about a passion project named Invisible Sun. It's based of overpriced, pretentious bullshit and yet people still paid money for it because Monte Cook's name was on it.

This is merely the addons list. A copy of the core game cost nearly two hundred dollars, which to normal people like you and I sounds real stiff but to Monte's fanbase (primed by a blog entry entreating playgroups to buy more poo poo for their GMs) was apparently just fine.
So the hand with the notch is for holding joints, IIRC?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I believe that was one of the first jabs we had at it, yes.

For anyone who wants to explode in a fit of apoplectic rage, I tracked down the Kickstarter page (apparently 45 credulous hipsters paid >$1K each for this), the preorder page (in which you have to pay even more if you weren't in the Kickstarter at a 25% markup), the initial "share the cost" post (put up just a month before IS was revealed), and a later version of that same post (which even more nakedly shows the previous one off as a money-grubbing marketing piece).

I would love to throttle the man for his shameless salesmanship and poor design chops but I doubt he'd learn anything from it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Firstborn posted:

Unrelated note:

Matthew Lillard is apparently releasing a $500 unlicensed companion box for Dragon Heist. He had a AMA on the 5E Reddit recently and..
https://www.beadleandgrimms.com/

Every comment he makes is pretty much, "I've played D&D way before you heard of it, it just wasn't popular so you didn't hear about it"

I'm reminded of the end of SLC Punk, when it flashes back to Steevo and Heroin Bob as kids playing D&D and Bob busts out a tape and is like "check this out" and introduces them to punk. I'm going to pretend that kid was Matthew Lillard IRL

Also, thank you all for the feedback about Roll20!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

dwarf74 posted:

I dunno, depending on the number and quality of the maps, the number and quality of the minis, and whether or not they're helping you at all (like, at least with standees or token discs) with the stuff that isn't important enough for minis ... I think it'd be cool.

It's $450 more than I'd ever drop for similar, mind you, but it does look like a helpful thing to have for an adventure you'll spend a year playing.

I think it's very important to note, this box set is for an adventure designed to bring your players from level 1 to 5. Speaking broadly, most groups don't spend more than a few months in this period, compared to post level 5. If this were for, say Storm King's Thunder or something like that, then I would have been slightly more interested. But even that book had a TON of campaign setting thrown into it.

This book is assumed to be MOSTLY campaign setting and rules for urban adventures, with a adventure thrown in.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

dwarf74 posted:

look like a helpful thing to have for an adventure you'll spend a year playing.

The adventure is level 1-4.

E: Whoops, beaten

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

If the entire box was full of resources to specifically flesh out Waterdeep as a mega-setting that you can keep using through your entire game, it would still be about $300 too expensive but I would at least GET it.

This, though, sounds like a bunch of guys with more than the average amount of disposable income all thought it was something they would want to buy themselves so that makes it a marketable idea.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

DalaranJ posted:

Isn’t this product for 5th e where bards are by far the most useful class?

:thejoke:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Firstborn posted:

I play on Roll20 like twice a week and frequently look for AL or one-shots if I get bored and have the time to invest. The neat part is that you can play with many different people, which can be cool if your IRL group is stagnant or always plays the same types of characters, etc. The bad part is because it's so hard to find a game and the aforementioned 90 gamer applications it means that players apply to a dozen games and wait for callbacks. This turns into them sitting for one session in a game just to shop a character or burn a single night of entertainment, which means the long-term campaigns tend to suffer.

I had to abort a campaign I was playing in just because every game was introducing a new character, and the DM was the type who wanted it to happen naturally. One particular person had to wait AN HOUR AND A HALF to be introduced into the game. Good news it's Roll20, so you could just listen in and like open up a new tab but yeah, it got messy.

In this way, sorry to say, the pay tables are actually kind of good. There's an investment there that people won't flake on, and the DM is "getting paid", so you should have all the pro features available on Roll20 (dynamic lighting is really cool - basically you can see your vision "cone"? from your character only, and not around and through doors or corners, etc.) and will probably sit down and actually put some effort into the making of it because they view it more like an assignment.

If you decide to shop for these games, don't pay more than like $5-10 a session. IRL I bring a six pack or a joint or a pizza, so you can justify it as an expense more on those lines. There are people shilling 12/hr per player on Roll20, and I wouldn't want to promote that. Also, you probably want a DM with a backbone for a paid game. I'm a little hesitant that a paid game is like "sure, you want to be a Unicorn Psion? Whatever give me $10, you are so strong etc. see you next game".

Full disclosure, I recently have tried my first paid game, at $13/month. It came with an artist drawing my character, the DM does great voices, has a nice custom hexmap and lore available, etc. The Roll20 format can be good for everyone getting an equal view of the map, handouts are easy, easier to share art and references than it is at IRL tables, easy to incorporate the official maps, whispers and things of that nature can enhance gameplay. The Curse of Strahd campaign on Roll20 comes with the entire castle done in 5x5 grid, which is something not available in the actual hardcover - it just provides a cool isometric map.

So, yeah. Be wary of people on Roll20 who just want to shop their characters in your game or like generation more than play (lots out there), be wary of overpriced games... any of those paid games worth their salt will have the first session free, and allow you to pay after the session assuming you are satisfied.

E: If there was sufficient interest, I'd DM a one-shot for you guys on Roll20. Or join whatever game you were planning. Goonsquad would be fun. I always fish for goons first, but they tend to prefer PBP here. :shrug:

Thanks thats genuinely useful information. I'd play in a game if you ran it but I'm in australia so good luck working that into a timeslot lol.

People not understanding that Bards are the super powerful god class now are extremely my jam. I could imagine people who dont understand mechanics thinking they were bad in 3.x but it's hilarious that people don't see that now.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 14, 2018

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

kingcom posted:

People not understanding that Bards are the super powerful god class now are extremely my jam. I could imagine people who dont understand mechanics thinking they were bad in 3.x but it's hilarious that people don't see that now.

I know bards are super powerful at basically everything, but what should they be doing in combat to make them awesome? I haven't played one in a bit.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jarvisi posted:

I know bards are super powerful at basically everything, but what should they be doing in combat to make them awesome? I haven't played one in a bit.

Basically being a battlefield control wizard with a better cantrip and better/more frequent use of bonus actions and reactions.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

kingcom posted:

Thanks thats genuinely useful information. I'd play in a game if you ran it but I'm in australia so good luck working that into a timeslot lol.

Well, I couldn't be in your game, but Roll20 has a ton of aussie games. I see some that won't take on people outside of Australia!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jarvisi posted:

Theyre the battlefield control class. They have access to a majority of the buffs and debuffs, their unique cantrip forces attack disadvantage, and they get Magical secrets, a feature that allows them to cherry pick two spells from any list as long as you can cast that level of spell, and they get it three times (10,14,18) four times if you go lore bard (at 6) and they count as Bard Spells so you actually use your casting stat for them. Theyre the best at counterspell thanks to Jack of all trades adding half prof to the counterspell roll, and unlike the other casting classes their bonus actions always add something to their action economy. thanks to expertise and jack of all trades they supplanted rogues as the skill monkey class since bards get as much expertise'd skills as rogues, and CHA is pretty much a super stat in 5e by how much mileage you get out of it.

So simply put, they have the best spells. And they're not too shabby at regular damage, either.

side note: Rogues eventually get better than bards at skills but only thanks to reliable talent which lets them treat D20 rolls of 9 or lower as 10 on prof skills, so with expertise rogues can pass most skill checks with ease. They also get expertise earlier.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 14, 2018

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Jarvisi posted:

Love that Dissonant Whispers. Free attacks for everyone!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

Anything you drat well want, what type of bard are you playing?

If you are playing a valor/swords bard you want to get yourself heavy armour prof and charge into melee in full plate + shield while buffing you and your friends. You are the best grappler in the group in this style of play loading up in expertise on athletics and maybe even taking shield master so you can just knockdown everything with your giant bonus resulting in every bonus action being used to either bardic inspiration or knock something down to give advantage to all your melee actions. You can also turn into a strong anti-caster load up on counterspell as well and focus on charging into melee with your enemy wizard and have their either fight you or try and cast and spell and have it get shot out. You are running around as well armoured as anyone else, your numbers wont be as good damage wise as a paladin or barbarian but you also happen to be a full spell caster and the valor bard inspiration is extremely powerful for helping your allies just ignore hits or make saves that could end them. Alternatively the swords bard flourishes are so comically good defensively that you want to be the character who charges into melee just to lock up enemies. Depending on how you go you might want sentinel instead of heavy armour if you are a swords bard because of how good it is defensively anyway and throwing extra attacks at targets can be helpful. Ideally Sentinel needs 2 people to take it and be standing next to each other to guarantee you fire it off all the time though so thats a bit of a maybe choice depending on your group.

If you are playing more of the support caster type in a lore bard you are basically a wizard but better in almost all respects. You won't be able to swap in an out spells as much as a wizard but thanks to the ridiculous lore bard archetype features you are essentially taking spells from every class in the game, you can summon a horde of skelie bros and giving them huge bonuses to stealth by taking a druid spell (I'm blanking on the name). Or you're loading up on save vs suck spells and super crowd control. You also have some extremely potent spells to fire off like blindness/deafness and hold person at low levels while later on you are nabbing other classes spells along with your bigger gently caress you combat spells like Greater Invisibility or Otto's Irresistible Dance. You're also a character who has all the important healing spells (except revivify which again if you are a lore bard you can pick up easily) so you can fill in the role of the cleric no problem. A wizard or sorcerer will be able to beat you potentially with regards to raw damage numbers but honestly raw damage is not how you win fights and is something the martial characters are best at anyway. The bard is the master of save vs suck and save vs death which are far more powerful than just shooting off damage.

A bard is loaded up on charisma so they are absolutely the face and talky character of group in general, additionally a lore bard gives you not only more proficiency in skills but also a huge amount of expertise that make you just flat better than anyone else but a rogue at skills. A rogue by the way is at best equal to you skill wise and the only thing they beat you in is having tool proficiency so they'll do the traps. But I mean, you can just take Find Traps from the cleric/druid spell list if you really want to do that.

The ultimate answer is that other classes need to ask 'What do I do in combat, how do I play'. As a bard you figure out what YOU want to be doing in combat and then set yourself up to play like that and do it better than anyone else. I mean really the only thing a bard doesn't want to do is dual wielding because their bonus action slot just has too many good options to waste on an extra attack.

ritorix posted:

Love that Dissonant Whispers. Free attacks for everyone!

I've gotten conflicting answers to this but I thought forced movement didn't trigger attack of ops? Does movement they are forced to make but actually they are taking as an action/reaction not count towards this or not.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 14, 2018

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

kingcom posted:

I've gotten conflicting answers to this but I thought forced movement didn't trigger attack of ops? Does movement they are forced to make but actually they are taking as an action/reaction not count towards this or not.

Forced movement normally doesn't provoke. But Whispers forces them to use their reaction to move, that provokes. So yeah you and your best melee friends all get to beat them down. You can take a reaction on your turn too, so move up before casting and take a swing on top of the 3d6 psychic damage.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Does dissonant whispers straight-up not function on things that have already used their reaction? Or do they still move, and just not have to use a reaction.

I think it's the former but it's a little ambiguous - that's really weird.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Nah it says 'if available' for the reaction. If the reaction's already used it just does damage.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Theyre the best at counterspell thanks to Jack of all trades adding half prof to the counterspell roll

Abjuration wizards get better at it starting at level 10 but for the vast majority of the time in most games, yeah Bards are the best.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
" Don't kill the Hag we need to get the information of what happened to the kids from her"

Paladin " I elbow drop her and use this magic spell to do radiant damage"

Hag dies.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hollismason posted:

" Don't kill the Hag we need to get the information of what happened to the kids from her"

Paladin " I elbow drop her and use this magic spell to do radiant damage"

Hag dies.

That would have been extremely lovely but the paladin elbow dropped her to death so hes okay in my book.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It was a boss move.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
This is 3rd party, but it's a super-popular product made by a notable 5e YouTube channel (Taking 20). It's a martial class called the Mist Walker.

For those who own or seen it, what are your thoughts? It's getting good reviews, but the most common points of contention is that it has an at-will short range teleport which people feel is too much of a get-out-of-jail free card.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I thought that Druid was in the running for "currently most broken class".

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

To me it seems like druids are just bad clerics unless you really like shapeshifting, otherwise their spells are just worse than other full casters.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Druids can easily own the melee combat game, but I'm not sure they've got the sheer utility of the bard.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What are the best paladin builds nowadays? I'm starting a curse of strahd game and wondering if u should go devotion or something else

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Jarvisi posted:

What are the best paladin builds nowadays? I'm starting a curse of strahd game and wondering if u should go devotion or something else

How do you feel about smite/ crit fishing with great weapons?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Josef bugman posted:

Moon Druid is the most broken class (assuming you mean broken like overpowered) at 2nd level but their power tapers off pretty quickly until they aren’t that remarkable in the 11-15ish range. They do have a stupid good capstone, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My friend was running a game where he got so fed up with one of his player's Moon Druid that he flat out banned Druids in general from subsequent games. No doubt early on the ability to wildshape for free HP every short rest was nuts, but I just told him to step up the monster difficulty and frequency to compensate.