Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Yugoslavia has never been behind the Iron Curtain, Serbia is almost 100% Orthodox, Italy needs to look up bluechew

The original Iron Curtain laid out in Churchill's speech was Stettin on the Baltic to Trieste on the Adriatic. It was always a bullshit term but there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eastern Europe should include only Poland and Ukraine, since they inevitably seem to be the angriest about being classified as such.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

PittTheElder posted:

Eastern Europe should include only Poland and Ukraine, since they inevitably seem to be the angriest about being classified as such.

I feel like Ukraine is probably the most Eastern European place that ever Eastern Europeaned. With Russia and Belorussia and the like it's a bit too eastern, and Moldova/Bulgaria have a bit of Southern European flair to them.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In a bizarre twist of fate, at one point the director of the UNPO was one Karl Habsburg-Lothringen.

Losing their empire and then losing their other empire hasn't stopped the Habsburgs from being very involved in international politics.

They're also huge supporters of the EU. There's zero evidence that they're trying to marry their way into running it, but historical precedent...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PittTheElder posted:

The Ukraine if you're doing it to make them angry.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Private Speech posted:

I feel like Ukraine is probably the most Eastern European place that ever Eastern Europeaned. With Russia and Belorussia and the like it's a bit too eastern, and Moldova/Bulgaria have a bit of Southern European flair to them.

Ya basically. poo poo, the Baltics are turning into a mini-Scandanavia at this point.

East-West is turning into more and more of a meaningless distinction since almost everywhere in Europe is resembling "the West" more and more. North vs. South is a more interesting cultural divide in 2019. Also Balkan-not Balkan.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The true divisions of Europe:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Bit rich grouping Kazakhstan, Turkey, Morocco and the Netherlands, but sure, I'll roll with it.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm very interested in how the entirety of Cyprus is a Russian puppet.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The 6 regions of Europe: West, North, East, South, Central, and Muslim.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think my favorite thing about that picture is that exactly 2/3 of the balearic islands are in southern europe instead of all or none

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Pook Good Mook posted:

The secret seventh region is Greenland.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

The secret seventh region is Greenland.

Looks Muslim grey to me.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/mcimaps/status/1152794147499253761?s=21

1960 to 1964 presidential swing, red is more Republican

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

buddhist nudist posted:

Everything is purchased with laundered Russian cash

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Even back then Florida was more southern the further north you went.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Badger of Basra posted:

Its really such a shame Alabama didn't get the Western half of Florida's panhandle. Both from a logic/pretty maps point of view, and because without those votes Florida would probably be a bit more reasonable. And they wouldn't make much difference in Alabama.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Alabama did get a chunk of the western part of the Florida panhandle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Florida

Imagine if the original Florida had been annexed as it was and was a state today.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

Asia and Africa are in Europe now?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Weembles posted:

Asia and Africa are in Europe now?
Not my map, not my problem

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Alabama did get a chunk of the western part of the Florida panhandle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Florida

Imagine if the original Florida had been annexed as it was and was a state today.

You'd have another California.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Follow up to the earlier 1960 -> 1964 map

https://twitter.com/mcimaps/status/1152666870333526020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

buddhist nudist posted:

Elyv posted:

I think my favorite thing about that picture is that exactly 2/3 of the balearic islands are in southern europe instead of all or none
The clue is in the name. Cyprus is east of South East, Ibiza west of South West.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How similar is Copenhagen to Arkhangelsk?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Arkhangelsk is somewhat cheerier.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Finally Estonia gets to be in the club with the good countries

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

buddhist nudist posted:

Cyprussia.

Cyber Prussia.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

map of the various languages and dialects in Corsica

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Kassad posted:

I'm the Chinese provinces turned into countries that will get curbstomped in a couple years.

Independent Guangxi! :catdrugs:

Is there something specifically dumb about an independent Zhuang state? Aside from like the belief that China would just eat everybody surrounding itself?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

Is there something specifically dumb about an independent Zhuang state? Aside from like the belief that China would just eat everybody surrounding itself?

No you've pretty much nailed it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Dommolus Magnus posted:

I get that reconquering Thracia is the wet dream of Greek (and many other European) reactionaries, but what is the logic behind returning Silesia to Czechia and then remerging with Slovakia?

Giving Greeks half of "Constantinople" and none of "Smyrna" is just going to make them even angrier.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

buddhist nudist posted:

Greek-Cypriots are very very pro-Russia, like both right and left.
And there's lots of Russians living there (and banking there) to boot.

It goes back a bit to the old Orthodox brotherhood thing that mainland Greeks can exhibit too, but also too the Cold War/Post-Colonial situation where the Greek-Cypriot nationalists hedged with the non-aligned pact and a bit with the Soviet sphere. At odds with the mainlanders, but also namely the Turks and Brits.
Like when a NATO member is your colonial and then former colonial master, and another NATO member is (essentially) the FORMER former colonial master who still hovers over you with a watering mouth? Yeah the west wasn't so attractive to Greek-Cypriots back then, and even now. It didn't even have much to do with communism or capitalism either.
Turkish-Cypriots were much more pro-west and anti-communist by comparison.

So by pure coincidence that map is oddly not so off on that count.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The clue is in the name. Cyprus is east of South East, Ibiza west of South West.

Cypriots (and funnily enough mainland Turks) seem to prefer the term "Eurasian". Like a term specifically to distance from Eastern Europe and the Middle East baggage wise.

Grape fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 24, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Sampatrick posted:

Pook Good Mook posted:

No you've pretty much nailed it.

Yeah, this. All the breakaway provinces would be re-annexed within a few years, a couple decades at most if the map's Republic of China was a basket case. There's almost no way it wouldn't be massively irredentist.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The problem with many independence movements is that they imagine themselves having a cake and eating it. imo

They get the benefit of a big government that can pay for huge inversions and many of these regions are rich because have access to a huge market.
If they where independent, they would have a much smaller government, so big inversions would not be feasible and they have access to a smaller market.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tei posted:

The problem with many independence movements is that they imagine themselves having a cake and eating it. imo

They get the benefit of a big government that can pay for huge inversions and many of these regions are rich because have access to a huge market.
If they where independent, they would have a much smaller government, so big inversions would not be feasible and they have access to a smaller market.

I don't know what you mean by "inversion", but this doesn't seem like a crucial problem within the European common market

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ras Het posted:

I don't know what you mean by "inversion", but this doesn't seem like a crucial problem within the European common market
I assume they meant investments.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ras Het posted:

Nation-states only enter the EU or EFTA by unanimous agreement of the member countries. If, for example, Catalonia became an independent nation-state, it would not be in the EU. It would have to negotiate adhesion, and Spain could perfectly veto it.

This was, famously, used as an argument against Scottish independence in the 2015 referendum. "If you leave the United Kingdom, you will also leave the European Union". And then, Brexit.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Ras Het posted:

I don't know what you mean by "inversion"

It's a meteorological thing, you wouldn't understand

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Tei posted:

Quebecois laugh in the corner. Just talking about becoming independent caused businesses to flee Montreal (then the richest city in Canada) to Toronto and hollowed out their downtown and tax base for 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this post and this dispute make me very happy

Thanks! I learned a lot of weird stuff working on wiki's Territorial Evolution articles. Like, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Dakota.