Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Sankara posted:

That's a very "I am going to ignore all the connections forming in my brain" face.

Nah, that's genuine delight at finally getting to see a tic-toc up close. Soon to be significantly more worried when she finds out what Kat has been up to with the robots. She might even make the connection with Coyote's secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Nah, that's genuine delight at finally getting to see a tic-toc up close. Soon to be significantly more worried when she finds out what Kat has been up to with the robots. She might even make the connection with Coyote's secret.

The loooong pause speaks volumes, IMO.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The long pause might've been 'holy poo poo it's one of those birds!' or maybe something else.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Well, if she fully explains, she'll have to talk about the 'neither of the annies belong here' thing, which means explaining Arbiter Saslamel, and that brings up the fact that the robot-transfers operate via contracts set in the basic laws of reality, and that leads to her being able to do that because of the Arrow, which leads to Jeanne and the Psychopomps and probably the Realm of the Dead, and probably all of the Ether stuff and the girls' understanding of the nature of the Ether.

And if the explanations go that far then Anja may end up having to suddenly face that her daughter has become a significant person to existence itself, and that Kat and Annie may have advanced in their understanding of how the universe works ahead of the Court itself in certain areas (look at how primitive Tony's understanding of the Psychopomps was!), and that Kat is probably even now a threat to whatever the Court's grand plan and Omega Device is, or at the very least a variable that the Court probably wouldn't tolerate if they realised how far things were going.

...or they could just skip the Saslamel part and say that Arthur recognised Kat's plans for the Tic-toc.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 27, 2020

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Even if it's not the Court's plan, Kat's apotheosis would fulfill what Coyote said all the way back in chapter 20 how the Court was "man's endeavor to become God."

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Mr.Radar posted:

Even if it's not the Court's plan, Kat's apotheosis would fulfill what Coyote said all the way back in chapter 20 how the Court was "man's endeavor to become God."

This seems pretty clear-cut. Annie is on track to become a psychopomp, Kat is becoming an etheric god of robotic life (and potentially their psychopomp as well) and Eglamore is literally everybody I don't recognize at any given time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh it totally seems like Gunnerkrigg is basically about a whole lot of different gods getting created and possibly colliding with each other.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
After so many years the Court's plans and goals are still so nebulous that I feel like they pretty much have to be behind at least one thing that we're already seeing, because otherwise they almost don't exist.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

MikeJF posted:

...or they could just skip the Saslamel part and say that Arthur recognised Kat's plans for the Tic-toc.

Even that doesn't work. All the robots are supposed to be under the Court's control, so it still begs for an explanation. She could lie and say it happened a while ago, I suppose, but that doesn't seem very interesting.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I haven’t read any Gunnerkrigg for about 4 years. Starting from the beginning again, so I thought I’d check the thread first to see if the comic had been finished in the meanwhile.

Rand Brittain posted:

After so many years the Court's plans and goals are still so nebulous that I feel like they pretty much have to be behind at least one thing that we're already seeing, because otherwise they almost don't exist.

:v:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kByDFElm7Gg

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe they created the Ether Siphon to become a birthplace of Gods? Like they just amplify the abilities of kids and spin the Ether extra hard to force something to come out of it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Huh, you know, going over this video has got me forming a theory about Coyote and his big plan.

Loup has made a big deal about getting back all of the gifts Coyote gave out, which Coyote has encouraged. He's got back the goose bone, and we know the lake water is another memory. We can plausibly guess the lake water is the memory of giving out the tooth, since Loup doesn't seem to know about that.

But we know of five gifts Coyote gave out.
He gave Ysengrin power over the trees, and obviously Loup has that. And he gave Renard the ability to steal bodies, at the cost of killing the original owner of those bodies.

Coyote said that when Loup learns of the plan, he will agree with how genius it is, and then die.

I think Coyote has set it up so that Renard will have to steal Loup's body, technically returning his gift. Coyote has wanted to share his powers with Renard from the very beginning - and this will achieve that, even if Renard never wanted it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tenebrais posted:

Huh, you know, going over this video has got me forming a theory about Coyote and his big plan.

Loup has made a big deal about getting back all of the gifts Coyote gave out, which Coyote has encouraged. He's got back the goose bone, and we know the lake water is another memory. We can plausibly guess the lake water is the memory of giving out the tooth, since Loup doesn't seem to know about that.

He gave Ysengrin power over the trees, and obviously Loup has that. And he gave Renard the ability to steal bodies, at the cost of killing the original owner of those bodies.

Coyote said that when Loup learns of the plan, he will agree with how genius it is, and then die.

I think Coyote has set it up so that Renard will have to steal Loup's body, technically returning his gift. Coyote has wanted to share his powers with Renard from the very beginning - and this will achieve that, even if Renard never wanted it.

That's....that's not bad. Quite good, in fact. :hmmyes:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Well it's a massive organisation, I'm happy to believe that when it was founded and for most of the people working in it it's just a centre for learning about the weird sciences.

But for the big grand secret project and omega device, I've gotten the implication that they're attempting to figure out a way to directly reprogram the Ether, and in the same way that human beliefs affecting the Ether physically change the real world and bring things into existence, that would grant the court basically godlike abilities to adjust the world however they choose.

It's not even necessarily a nefarious scheme; science and engineering and technology are always moving towards greater understanding and control of the world, and it might be that they found a particularly juicy avenue and wrapped it up in secrecy because oh poo poo this one's extinction-level dangerous if misused. Hell, tom touched on it really just being a collection of people working away and not a monolithic thing:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 28, 2020

SalamInsurrection
Jun 8, 2020

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Well it's a massive organisation, I'm happy to believe that when it was founded and for most of the people working in it it's just a centre for learning about the weird sciences.

But for the big grand secret project and omega device, I've gotten the implication that they're attempting to figure out a way to directly reprogram the Ether, and in the same way that human beliefs affecting the Ether physically change the real world and bring things into existence, that would grant the court basically godlike abilities to adjust the world however they choose.

It's not even necessarily a nefarious scheme; science and engineering and technology are always moving towards greater understanding and control of the world, and it might be that they found a particularly juicy avenue and wrapped it up in secrecy because oh poo poo this one's extinction-level dangerous if misused. Hell, tom touched on it really just being a collection of people working away and not a monolithic thing:

Paz is a "good cop" in that page, miss me with that poo poo.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Renard realizes he is Loup, who is Ysengrin, who is also Coyote

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This is going to end with Kat being the reason her parents are together so they could have Kat.
Poor Kat is going to have a meltdown.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Darth TNT posted:

This is going to end with Kat being the reason her parents are together so they could have Kat.

She just HAD a meltdown though! Thats why they went to Mom!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

Renard realizes he is Loup, who is Ysengrin, who is also Coyote

Oh lordy, a split triunity of divinity that... Forgot.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Jesus Christ Kat how far back did you send this bird?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Darth TNT posted:

Nah, those two dorks are clearly in love.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kikas posted:

Jesus Christ Kat how far back did you send this bird?

Further back than the Court itself.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
The foreshadowing in that link escaped me until now.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm having trouble accessing the website. Not even Google cache is helping. Is anyone else experiencing this too?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm having trouble accessing the website. Not even Google cache is helping. Is anyone else experiencing this too?

I can enter just fine. The issue may be on your side.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I have that happen occasionally (but not in forever), usually clears up in a few hours. Dunno what causes it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bell_ posted:

The foreshadowing in that link escaped me until now.

Same here, I love this comic.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm really glad this page happened on a Monday, unless the next two pages are the three of them staring at each other speechless

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I hope at one point Kat's mum sighs wistfully and says "I remember when I got into my first time-loop..."

Doctor Disaster is running five different self-fulfilling loops at any one time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Meanwhile President Funny Valentine is the most like a Demiurge.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i guess anja isn't including the time she saw a destroyed one in the court as the "last" time she saw one?

e: lmao no idea why i said katja for anja's name

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 30, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

A big flaming stink posted:

i guess anja isn't including the time she saw a destroyed one in the court as the "last" time she saw one?

I did a double take when I read that, too. Sort of a weird conceptual division for her to make, but it is a good insight into how illusive they normally are.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I finally fixed the problem and could read the new page.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I can appreciate not showing the explanation but I know we're missing out on some golden reaction faces.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Happy Underpants posted:

I can appreciate not showing the explanation but I know we're missing out on some golden reaction faces.

They'd be covered up by the wall of text containing information we already knew. This way we can skip right to the reaction faces.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
We do not warp time in this house young lady! Space yes, and frequently, but time no!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you warp space, you're also warping time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cat Mattress posted:

If you warp space, you're also warping time.

Who let you in here, Einstein?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Uthor posted:

Who let you in here, Einstein?

That marine who told everyone to clap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

e: lmao no idea why i said katja for anja's name

I wonder if Coyote ate her memories too.