Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Got the scoot back, took a few kicks to get her running reliably,but I ran her dry before I put her away this winter. KLR took the same amount of time to get started too. Battery on the Vespa is toast, blinkers and horn don't work, so I guess I'll have to get that replaced. I don't think I want to deal with non-maintenance free batteries anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I can't help you with an answer, but you should ask this question in the motorcycle questions thread too as there are very smart people in there that know about carbs. I have a Vino 125 as well, every month through the winter I went out and started it up and let it idle for 15 or so minutes so this wouldn't happen.

I just got put new handlebars, japanese blinkers and taillight, and have a new NCY exhaust that I hope to install this weekend. I can't wait for it to get warm enough so I can start riding to work again.

also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhFFhEuNQ_4

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 17, 2011

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I'm not good with carbs and this never happened to my Vino 125 :( but I can direct you to the Vino 125 Service Manual: http://www.zumaforums.net/servicemanuals/125VinoManual.pdf courtesy of zumaforums.net

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Hello.

Slightly under the guy's asking price. Everything is pristine on it. Wife sits on it well, I'll be dragging her to a parking lot for some exercises on it. :D

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
you will remain happy so long as you quickly come to accept you will never ever see the far end of that speedometer unless you cram a 150 honda clone engine into the frame.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

yaay posted:

you will remain happy so long as you quickly come to accept you will never ever see the far end of that speedometer unless you cram a 150 honda clone engine into the frame.

Sounds like a winter project to me.

I'd love a 150cc Ruckus for tooling around town.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Big Ruckus

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I want a Big Ruckus so freaking bad, but they're really hard to find around here. A friend of mine got lucky a few years ago and found one fairly cheap and in good shape. He rides it from Austin to here and back (7-8 hour drive) every couple of months and it's his sole form of transportation there, so he has put some serious miles on it. He says it's been amazingly reliable.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 19, 2011

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I didn't even realize they made them for such a short time. I remember seeing them a few years ago and thinking they were kind of cool and maybe I would pick one up some day :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How much did it cost, if you don't mind sharing?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't really remember that well, probably like $5k or so. I remember it being somewhere around the price of a entry level bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oh I was wondering how much Skier paid :shobon:

I do recall them being surprisingly expensive though!

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Everyone post pics of their scooters:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Will do, as soon as the sun comes out and I get a few pieces back on the old girl. drat weather is not co-operating with me, and I bloody well have to do an oil change. We just started getting ethanol here in our gas, so I guess that's it for 87 octane in the KLR, couldn't put that in the vespa anyway, but I haven't seen any pump stating it has ethanol in it yet, so I'm leery of putting anything in the vespa. :(

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SpannerX posted:

Will do, as soon as the sun comes out and I get a few pieces back on the old girl. drat weather is not co-operating with me, and I bloody well have to do an oil change. We just started getting ethanol here in our gas, so I guess that's it for 87 octane in the KLR, couldn't put that in the vespa anyway, but I haven't seen any pump stating it has ethanol in it yet, so I'm leery of putting anything in the vespa. :(

http://pure-gas.org/ is a list of ethanol-free stations, though it's probably not comprehensive. I feel bad putting E10 in my Stella, being a 2-stroke, but I really don't have a choice anymore. I just run premium and hope for the best.

4/20 nice Asian market lights, those really give the Vino a nice rear end

old but-

e: also, it's alive! but not done:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Z3n posted:

How much did it cost, if you don't mind sharing?

I paid the dude $1700 for it. All but brand new.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Changed the oil in the scoot, what a pain in the rear end getting the oil back in. I'm going to have to get a better set up than a Rubbermaid squeeze bottle. On the plus side it's shifting easier now. The old oil wasn't too bad, not black and didn't smell like gas, so that's good.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Rode a scooter for the first time today after a year of riding an SV650S. Holy poo poo that little Zuma 50 was a blast, I was able to keep it completely pinned all through the neighborhood, trying desperately to keep up with a buddy on my SV650 and another on an RC51.

Is the rear tire supposed to slide around on these things, or was it low / old? Because back end kept breaking loose on that little Zuma, but it felt pretty stable.

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Everyone post pics of their scooters:

:hfive:

Just bought mine back from the people I sold it to. Lucky for me those people were my parents so I think I got a good deal! Gonna use the ol' girl for commuting and park that finicky Civic somewhere where I can't see it.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Weinertron posted:

Rode a scooter for the first time today after a year of riding an SV650S. Holy poo poo that little Zuma 50 was a blast, I was able to keep it completely pinned all through the neighborhood, trying desperately to keep up with a buddy on my SV650 and another on an RC51.

Is the rear tire supposed to slide around on these things, or was it low / old? Because back end kept breaking loose on that little Zuma, but it felt pretty stable.

I've never experienced that myself, but I've only ridden 125cc and above, so I'm not sure. I wouldn't think that to be normal, though.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Can I play too!

1967 Suzuki Corsair 79cc's of rage and fury. From the previous owner, it has not run in about a decade and was technically free with purchase of a 1980 Suzuki GS450 my roommate bought. I gave my roommate some cash and now I am the proud owner of a 165 lb paper weight. Got it home checked to make sure it had spark, oil in the crank ect. Little starter fluid and it came to life on the 3rd kick.

Last weekend I mixed up some 20 to 1 gas/oil in a vitamin water bottle and gravity fed the carb. Kicked it a few times and ran it about 10 min. Now that I know it works it is taken down to about 200 parts for cleaning, sanding, fixing ect. This weekend I am going to start priming and painting some of the small stuff. More pics to come.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I think sand/media blasters are a ton of fun - you should pick one up to use on the bike. Looks like a good candidate.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Media blasting not necessary. The frame, fenders ect are in surprisingly good shape There were a couple dents on the chrome so I tapped them out, filled and they are getting shot matte black. I work at a race shop and carbon is easy to come by so the places where the knee pads were are getting carbon covers. The worst rust is in the tank and I am going to use Ola's electrolysis process to clean it. Rest of the body and frame rust is very, very minimal. Fenders have already been cleaned up, frame has been degreased and I am touching up a few pits tomorrow followed by some etching primer and it will rest in the basement while I go through the rest of the parts.

Current status: Headlamp bezal/speedo housing have been completed. Sanded, filled where necessary and painted matte black. Entire harness is out, labeled and I am going to replicate it with not-44 year old wiring. Received NOS clutch, front brake and throttle cables. Frame is sitting in a "under bed storage bin" marinating in a solution of simple green and water. Will check its progress tomorrow, hopefully power washing will be the end of grease.

More to come, taking lots of pics.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

slowspeedracer posted:

I am the proud owner of a 165 lb paper weight.

Dude, that's an awesome bike. Congrats on finding it in that condition and for free. I've seen tons of Hondas from that era, but never a Suzuki.

HELL YEA BLUE VINO 125 KREW 4 LYFE :hfive:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Brought a 2001 Yamaha Vino home this week. Supposedly de-restricted by a previous owner, it's been sitting a while so it's hard to tell right now as it won't run for more than a few seconds.

After removing some goofy surf-print decals from the side panels, I pushed it to the car wash by my house, dismantled it, pressure washed everything, and screwed it back together right in time for it to start raining.

EDIT: This afternoon I removed the carburetor to find the innards coated in either white, orange, or green crud, depending on where I looked. Still hopeful, I dismantled it outside since I couldn't remove the oil line. It started raining but I didn't care. I soldiered on, realizing my carburetor gasket had come apart and had corrosion on it as well. I cleaned as much of it as I could, using carburetor cleaner, Q-tips and paper towels. Something stubbornly was blocking the pilot jet. Luckily I found a tiny stick in the parking lot and used that to basically floss green crap out of the holes. I bolted it back together, not anticipating much and yet it started on the first kick! Now to adjust the idle speed and air/fuel mixture. Thankfully, I know someone willing to send me another stock Vino carburetor.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 24, 2011

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Hello scooter thread. I just bought a Honda CH80 for cheap. The only problem is the guy could not get the scooter to run for more then a few seconds. I figured it was carb related. Any one know a good carb disassemble guide?

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
A hello from me as well ScootGoons, I just bought a new 2010 Honda SH150i. I may post pics when the weather doesn't suck anymore. I've gotta say, the size of the thing is right where I want it, and it rides like a dream. For 3200 bucks+tax,title,fees=3919 or so, I'm not completely displeased. Being able to go fast definitely has advantages when traveling around the boonies.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Seattle-ites, (GND, I'm lookin' at you!) where's a good shop for scooter maintenance, and a good shop for gear in general?

I just moved from Portland to W. Seattle, and so far the only shop for gear I've managed to find is Cycle Gear down in Auburn.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SouthsideSaint posted:

Hello scooter thread. I just bought a Honda CH80 for cheap. The only problem is the guy could not get the scooter to run for more then a few seconds. I figured it was carb related. Any one know a good carb disassemble guide?

http://www.cashville.net/content/honda-elite-1985-2002-80cc-ch80-service-manual-free-pdf maybe?

CubanRefugee posted:

Seattle-ites, (GND, I'm lookin' at you!) where's a good shop for scooter maintenance, and a good shop for gear in general?

I just moved from Portland to W. Seattle, and so far the only shop for gear I've managed to find is Cycle Gear down in Auburn.

Well! I've only been here a couple months, so I don't know all the shops yet. I have heard praise for Fritz Repair in U District, and I stopped by the other day and had a nice chat with him about some oil spatter on my Stella. He was friendly, knowledgeable, and didn't pressure me into dropping the bike off to spend any money.

As for gear I'm not totally sure. I was just at the Spring Opener at Scooter/Cycle Barn up in Lynnwood, and they have a good selection of stuff for scooters and non-scooters.

There's also http://www.bigpeoplescooters.com/ and http://soundspeedscooters.com/, but I haven't been in yet. Ducati Seattle's the Genuine dealer, but they only carry fancy-pants Ducatista gear. And https://www.scootabout.biz who I hear very mixed things about.

Also: sign up at http://www.seattlescootersociety.com/.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Call me crazy, but I think I want to try building up my Spree to 200cc with one of those 6.5hp harbor freight engines. See what happens. I don't depend on it in any way for transportation; I pretty much just bought it to figure out how engines worked. Any reason not to?

Pic of a test fit, just for kicks. It has mirrors now.

e:

slowspeedracer posted:

:shlick: I love old-school mopeds.

e2: Also thinking about maybe doing some bodywork and making it look like a moped rather than a scooter... god I need to sleep. But that would be sweet.

(wait, I think I may be wanting to convert a scooter into a motorcycle... whee!)

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 29, 2011

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jr. posted:

Call me crazy, but I think I want to try building up my Spree to 200cc with one of those 6.5hp harbor freight engines. See what happens. I don't depend on it in any way for transportation; I pretty much just bought it to figure out how engines worked. Any reason not to?

Pic of a test fit, just for kicks. It has mirrors now.

e:

:shlick: I love old-school mopeds.

e2: Also thinking about maybe doing some bodywork and making it look like a moped rather than a scooter... god I need to sleep. But that would be sweet.

(wait, I think I may be wanting to convert a scooter into a motorcycle... whee!)

That would be a really difficult project. I mean if you have metal fabrication skills then go for it that would be pretty rad. But scooter engines are typically a single unit with the transmission and swingarm, and it would require a really insane amount of fabrication and custom doohickery to make a non-scooter engine work in a scooter.

This is the only non-scooter-engined scooter I can think of:

Notice how the rear wheel is definitely not a scooter wheel, and you can kinda see some custom swingarm in there.

You'd be better off swapping another scooter engine in, since at least all you'd have to do then would be figure out how to mount an unmatching swingarm/engine/trans unit up. Ruckus people did it, and now there are kits to swap 150cc GY6 engines on. A GY6 Spree would be rad. If you just want to learn engines then I think there are big bore cylinder kits for Sprees, and installing one of those and some other performance parts would be a lot of good, fun experience.

e: looks like Honda Dio or maybe Elite 50 motors are common swaps, and the big-bore kits I was thinking of may have been for one of those engines; not sure.

(also slowspeedracer's Suzuki is not a moped; there is no pedals, only motor)

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This is the only non-scooter-engined scooter I can think of:

Notice how the rear wheel is definitely not a scooter wheel, and you can kinda see some custom swingarm in there.

(also slowspeedracer's Suzuki is not a moped; there is no pedals, only motor)

Ugh, that thing looks like poo poo. Maybe I'll just keep playing with gear ratios and BBKs.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Thanks my google-fu has been week lately. So i took the spark plug wire off trying to get my carb out. Which in hindsight was dumb. But it looks like the spark plug has threads on the tip. I was thinking i tore off the little top parts that's usually on the plug. Or do scooter spark plugs come like that? Because now that my carbs are finally clean its not getting a good enough spark. :bang:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SouthsideSaint posted:

Thanks my google-fu has been week lately. So i took the spark plug wire off trying to get my carb out. Which in hindsight was dumb. But it looks like the spark plug has threads on the tip. I was thinking i tore off the little top parts that's usually on the plug. Or do scooter spark plugs come like that? Because now that my carbs are finally clean its not getting a good enough spark. :bang:

Ha! I had to learn this poo poo the hard way not long ago, too, when I bought new plugs and couldn't figure out why the loving the cap wouldn't fit.

As it turns out all spark plugs have threads, but come with the little cap thing screwed on. I have to unthread those for my scooter. I had no idea they were unthreadable at first. I was very confused. :pseudo:

I can't help with your actual problem though, I'm not smart enough for that :eng99:

Seafea
Mar 21, 2003

They say it's not what life throws at you, but how you deal with it.
I found an amazing deal a few days ago. Getting a Genuine Buddy 125 with a bit less than 300 miles on it for $1200, with a storage trunk and possibly a helmet (assuming it fits me.) thrown in.

Looking at it today, and probably buying it. They have the title as well. The only problem is that it's pink, but I can have it repainted.

Kinda nervous, cause its a craigslist deal, but the person sounded trustworthy, and all the pictures in the ad looked good. Staying safe and keeping scams in mind anyway though.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Seafea posted:

I found an amazing deal a few days ago. Getting a Genuine Buddy 125 with a bit less than 300 miles on it for $1200, with a storage trunk and possibly a helmet (assuming it fits me.) thrown in.

Looking at it today, and probably buying it. They have the title as well. The only problem is that it's pink, but I can have it repainted.

Kinda nervous, cause its a craigslist deal, but the person sounded trustworthy, and all the pictures in the ad looked good. Staying safe and keeping scams in mind anyway though.

Just be cause you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you. That having been said if it's a good deal, I'd buy that no problem, but what is the year, check the rubber, etc. I'm not 100% but I do believe that the Buddy has pretty easy to take off panels. Rat bike that sucker!

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Ha! I had to learn this poo poo the hard way not long ago, too, when I bought new plugs and couldn't figure out why the loving the cap wouldn't fit.

As it turns out all spark plugs have threads, but come with the little cap thing screwed on. I have to unthread those for my scooter. I had no idea they were unthreadable at first. I was very confused.

I did the same thing recently thinking that I had a fouled plug and went to put a brand new one in. Took a bit to figure it out, thought that Scooter Mercato sent me the wrong plug and was pissed!

Now I'm thinking new Sip Road exhaust and an upjet to 118 from 116. I'm able to hit 90 km/h, though I don't know if I really want to hold it there for long, even though I've had the scoot out for 2 80 to 90 Km rides in the last week.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
gently caress.

Circus Pies! fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 1, 2011

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
My Rattler has evolved!

Circus Pies! fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 1, 2011

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I thought that was a turbo for a half second and was all :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
It's quite obviously a retro rocket since that thing goes, like, a zillion miles an hour.